Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who says the Through Load retrofit can't be done?! The results of my weekend project

My Cars
    '00 BMW ///M5

Who says the Through Load retrofit can't be done?! The results of my weekend project

Well, with the other half out of town for memorial day weekend, I had an interior swap planned. I learned a lot about German engineering this weekend as opposed to Japanese engineering that I grew up with. These German things are tricky, but this is what I was able to do over the weekend:

1) Retrofit Contour comfort sport seats
    2) Retrofit through load system

The major hurdles were the rewiring, wire diagram studying (damn German Colors kept confusing me, SW is black?!?!), and a lot of making it work! I researched the forums and all I could find; "The through load system CAN NOT be retrofitted". Any way, that didn’t' stop me, I stripped my interior, examined it and found that the structure is the exact same with that plate or with out. The engineers at my office thought that it should be structurally sound, and they were right. Any way, lets move on.....

The benefits of this project are:

18 way seats, comfort entry/exit, and through load convenience

I'm sorry but a sedan should have seats that fold down. People generally have to hull stuff around and it doesn’t fit in my Acura (oddly enough, since the Acura is larger than the E39).

Alright, and now for the pictures (Excuse the mess, the interior is getting detailed this weekend):

(notice I had the ugly burgundy/purple interior. I never really got the official color name. Burgundy was the closest i came to color matching the interior)

(Look at all those seat settings!!! Both front driver and passenger seats are in, these seats rock! I missed them from my old E38)

(Chopping up a car isn't for the faint of heart, but I was on a mission)

(Half done!)

(now I got a complete Black interior)

Enjoy guys; sorry I didn't snap enough pictures of the old interior. Ugh, I was just in a rush to strip that out. I'm happy about the through load retrofit, more importantly, the car is damn comfortable with these new seats. The setas in the rear fold down flawlessly, and seal the trunk really well; it looks completely stock! I haven't noticed any difference in structural rigidity yet, and trust me, I drive my cars. I believe the rear of the car is reinforced pretty well due the pillars in the back, and never be able to push my car on the streets as how it's commonly done on the track. Any way, I hope you guys enjoy the pictures as I've finally answered my own question, the through load retrofit CAN BE DONE. --=Keith

My Cars
    m52 powered
    do the latches work on the fold downs?

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Nguyen View Post
    (damn German Colors kept confusing me, SW is black?!?!)(notice I had the ugly burgundy/purple interior. I never really got the official color name. Burgundy was the closest i came to color matching the interior)
    SW= Schwarz, Schwarz= Black
    burgundy/purple= Aubergine .. Aubergine= Eggplant
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    '00 BMW ///M5
    Quote Originally Posted by e39dream View Post
    do the latches work on the fold downs?

Yes they do, everything works as it came factory installed! Even the lock for the latches work.

Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    SW= Schwarz, Schwarz= Black
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    burgundy/purple= Aubergine .. Aubergine= Eggplant
    I figured out SW stood for Schwarz after I was comparing colors to the chart! I thought damn it, these diagrams are in German. I had an E46 that was Schwarz, but the Aubergine interior, that's news to me!

My Cars
    Bmw 540i/6; 530i/5
    nice i want fold down seats...

FS:NEW_BF_Goodrich_245/35/17

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    May the Schwarz be with you!
    >'97 528i, 200000 miles, Hella Xenons, 17" Stilauto wheels, Vogtland Drop Springs, Dynomax Race Muffler, Homelink, 540 brake upgrade, 15mm spacers >'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48 Manual conversion in process!!!

My Cars
    E39540i E60535 F10535i
    Shwell is a Schwarz guy.. I like that word. It is kinda sexy, just like your seat upgrade..... Good work.
    The Harder I work, the better I live!

My Cars
    BMW M5, 528i Sold, e34 535i sold, e21 320i sold
    (notice I had the ugly burgundy/purple interior. I never really got the official color name. Burgundy was the closest i came to color matching the interior)

The name for the burgundy color is the Aubergine. My 97 came with the same color which I love it very much. So unique vs to black interior.
    Good job on the swap. Where did you get sport seats?

My Cars
    '00 BMW ///M5
    Thanks guys, I love the mod as well.

Quote Originally Posted by azaytsev View Post
    The name for the burgundy color is the Aubergine. My 97 came with the same color which I love it very much. So unique vs to black interior.
    Good job on the swap. Where did you get sport seats?

Sorry buddy, I didn't mean to offend ya. The eggplant just isn't my thing. I will admit however, black is very common, although you can't go wrong with black. However, I'd like to have two tone, black with grey inserts.

I got the sport seats from a '00 740I sport. These seats are reminiscent of the older E34 //M5 of how the back of the seats go past the headrest, or how the head rest cuts into the back rest. The seats are 18 way!! That means everything moves, top half of backrest, backrest, headrest, lumbar support, thigh support etc!

--=Keith
    Last edited by Keith Nguyen; 06-02-2007 at 12:42 AM.

My Cars
    540it, Z3
    pm sent

My Cars
    1999 528iA Sport
    Does the seat memory still work with the retrofitted seats? I've been thinking of the same upgrade - I need heated seats here in MN...

My Cars
    '00 BMW ///M5
    Yes, the memory seats are exactly the same... You can also get the nice tilt away feature with the newer seats. It has something to do with the newer version of the memory module. The heated seats are another story, but you can retrofit those as well. I'm waiting for winter to come before I perform that project.... --=Keith

My Cars
    88M3-89M3-91MTech-98528i
    Nice retrofit. So the E38 seats bolted right in? I didn't know they had all in one sport/comfort seats?

BTW, waiting for winter??? bro, you're in Irvine - SoCal. haha.

My Cars
    '00 BMW ///M5
    Yes, E38 front seats bolt on. The seats came from a 740i with the sport package.

I agree it's SoCal, but it does get cold! And when it gets cold, i use the seat heaters. Also, what do you do when you take the car into the mountains and it's butt cold? =D I got spoiled my seat heaters on my Acura, now i want them in all my cars!

Quote Originally Posted by reelizmpro View Post
    Nice retrofit. So the E38 seats bolted right in? I didn't know they had all in one sport/comfort seats?

BTW, waiting for winter??? bro, you're in Irvine - SoCal. haha.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 530i
    Did u have to weld anything to the body of the car, for the seats to close ?

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    Wow. People need to stop giving me ideas. Hahaha! That is an AWESOME mod. Congratulations! It takes balls to cut into your car like that!

The results are outstanding.

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 2000 540i
    that's awesome... i can't seem to find seats from an e38 though since I want to do the same thing.

2011 328i X-Drive~Mercedes ML55 AMG~2000 E320~1998 Chevrolet Corvette~2001 BMW 740iL

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    Is this mod possible if you have the factory dsp with sub box thing? It hangs under the rear deck. Here is a pic of my trunk... sub box is hanging down here.

and with it up

thanks!

My Cars
    '97 540I 6 spd. Green on green
    Wow, talk about resurrecting an old thread......
    "All my life, I have searched for a car that feels a certain way....Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball. Now, at last, I have found it." -- Homer Simpson

"Gulp! How much is this monstrosity? Eighty thousand dollars?!? I'm ruined!" -- Herb Powell, former President and CEO, Powell Motors Corp.

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    lol didn't even look at the date.. it just popped up on the first page!

My Cars
    E39 540i Sport
    I never knew that there were E39s that dont have folding rear seats.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i
    I don't have the ski hole or the fold down seats. It sucks! I'd at least like to have the ski hole but haven't started looking for the parts to complete this project. If anyone knows of a wrecked car with a ski hole kit let me know!

I've slept many hours with my seat leaned way back. Very comfortable if you can sleep on your back w/o rolling over.
    Frank
    540/6

Race/Street Rubber Z1 Star, 275/35-18 Front & Rear, Eibach Sways Front & Rear, Cut and Formed OEM Sport Springs, Bilstein Sports, Go-Go-Ware, ATE disks w/SS lines & HPS pads, UUC SS, CDV, White/Tan, Bling free and Stealthy.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by cdb3113 View Post
    Is this mod possible if you have the factory dsp with sub box thing? It hangs under the rear deck. Here is a pic of my trunk... sub box is hanging down here.

and with it up

thanks!
    Lets keep this old thread going haha. Anyway's cdb, I dont think DSP would pose a problem. I have fold down seats with the DSP box there.
    Quote Originally Posted by 550i View Post
    I just fucked a 26 year old. Fuck marriage, it's overrated. Mention the words Aston Martin and NO woman is out of the question.

My Cars
    '03 540i-6 M-sport,
    cdb3113,
    yes, you can have fold down seats with your DSP subwoofer enclosure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast