Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 540IA VS. New Toyota Camry Part II

My Cars
    2000 540iA Sport / Dinan Stage 5

540IA VS. New Toyota Camry Part II

If you by chance read one of my first posts, i was upset about not being able to pull away faster from a Camry. I had a second chance today to redeem myself against another one on the same road. Was a beautiful black car and looked great. On to the story...

So I see the car ahead of me traveling at a pretty good speed. I slowly catch up to him and he moves over to let me by but is able to get ahead of me again after a traffic light stop due to traffic being tied up a little. The road goes down to a single lane and then back into a double where I know a lotof police sit so I just follow waiting for the hill to come up where I know I can open the car up without fear. At the bottom of the hill, it goes from a single to a double lane and we both go into the passing lane with me right behind him. I was able to stay with him at the lower speed. Then a truck moves over into passing lane holding us up for a little but I see the turn signal go on for him to move back over and I get ready. Now I just installed the Dinan Stage 4 software with the exhaust, intake, TB, and MAS so I was hoping for the best.

HAHA My best wasnt near good enough...when the road cleared, I floored it and watched that Camry run right away from me. I mean it wasnt even close. Then by the time I picked up speed, I was moving and went by him feeling like even more of an a%$ because then I felt like I did a fly-by. So now my ego is crushed and once again am disgusted with the power. I would like to think I could have taken him up top but I will never know nor can I guess. But I gave it my best and it is what it is. I dont have to like it though.

Me-0...Camrys-2
    Last edited by monsstr; 05-26-2007 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Cant spell

My Cars
    328 xi
    Im assuming this is one of the new camrys with almost 270 hp and a 3.5 L engine?

My Cars
    99 BMW 540IA Sport/00 Camaro SS
    http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2530b.shtml

0-60 6.8 1/4 14.9?

mebbe u have a fake 540? j/k :P its possible you could have happened upon a couple of modded camrys..... highly unlikely but possible. especially the second one cuz of the mods u listed you shoulda been able to own it

My Cars
    Audi R8,GT3-RS
    brutally honest here...something rarely found in these parts...haha

My Cars
    I would have to guess it was a new one. The thing moved and had duel exhausts coming out the back. I am not familiar with Camrys so I dont know if that means anything or not.

I am beginning to think I have a fake 540 sport. I am frustrated for what seems like a lack of power in the mid-range but yet this car pulls super hard at the top. Unfortunately that didnt help me much. I was sure I was going to be able to keep up with him at worst. Maybe its the automatic. I dont care for the way it shifts even in sport mode. Has one heck of a drag between gears when I am hard on the gas, but it does have the stage 4/5 software so I am not really sure what else I could do with it...other then get a 6 spd. Which is what I wanted to begin with but noooo, the wife wanted to be able to drive it also. I am now regretting that decision.

Well I guess other then buying another car, or throwing on a supercharger, I guess I really should avoid Camrys like the plague. And every other new car out there.
    Last edited by monsstr; 05-26-2007 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Cant spell

My Cars
    '07 335i E92
    ...teach wife to drive stick. (period)

girls who drive stick earn some cool points, no matter the age

My Cars
    Yes please
    auto 540's run 14.3 stock all day. Get yours checked out it should be able to destroy that camry once it gets moving. New Camry's best 0-60 in 6.0 and 1/4th in 14.5. I had minor upgrades on my 5..exhaust, 3.15 diff, resonator delete, intake silencer delete and intake and I could run mid 13's (6 speed) your's shouldn't be far off with those mods.

My Cars
    R1100S
    New Camry's with the V6 are SRS BSNS. I think it was rumored the run a 14.3. Only Toyota would do that in a family sedan and the make it so it gets high 20's in the mpg when not in the throttle. I only wish the tC would have gotten the Camry V6 instead of the I-4.
    Solution to autotragic problem:Buy a new camry? LOL

I have driven some older 540's at work that feel like someone took the balls out of them, maybe your car needs a tune up?

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Wow, even though your an automatic, I would think you could have easily kept up or passed him.

My Cars
    BMW
    New Camry's with the 3.5L 270HP motor run 0 - 60 in 6.0 and mid 14's @ 95ish. The OP's story sounds about right.

My Cars
    '98 528i, '87 325
    Quote Originally Posted by prash View Post
    New Camry's with the 3.5L 270HP motor run 0 - 60 in 6.0 and mid 14's @ 95ish. The OP's story sounds about right.
    Sounds like they have horrible drivetrain loss, then. The 2006 330i with 255 hp does 0-60 in 6, and the E36 M3 does sub 6's @ only 240hp at the crank. The new Camry can't be that heavy, can it?

BMW Loe is offline representing south dakota
    My Cars
    E46 coupe (x2)
    Here is one that ran 14.3@97mph http://www.dragtimes.com/Toyota-Camr...lip-10338.html

They also have 6 gears to play with so they have less of a gear loop.

rated at 268HP and about 3,500lbs. (I can't remember if this was with premium or regular gas). There was a second unofficial rating with either premium or regular as well.
    -Loe- 2004 M3/2000 328Ci (some mods)

My Cars
    Audi S4
    wow you bmw guys race some weird cars.. camry's, turbo diesel trucks.. NA civics.. ..and dont even win.. that really sucks.
    -Luis

My Cars
    368Lawnmower/e90Tractor
    a camry faster then my 95 m3??
    i ran my buddy earlier today in his stock auto 02 540..
    got him by half a car from a 60mph roll until 4th and thats when he started inching past my door.
    540's are boats but they are quick! i wouldnt think quicker then the new camry... a 6sp should spank that toyota on the top end.

bmw>toyota

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by lrg8683 View Post
    wow you bmw guys race some weird cars.. camry's, turbo diesel trucks.. NA civics.. ..and dont even win.. that really sucks.

Dont you think that a Camry is along the same lines as a BMW (not including the M series of course)? Obviously there is a huge price difference between the two when new but other then that, they are meant for the same thing, hauling 4 people. Just my opinion though.

I would think I have a more realistic chance against a Camry then I would trying to run a Vette or a hopped up Mustang. Not that I wouldnt give it a shot but I dont think I would be too upset when all I see is tailights.
    Last edited by monsstr; 05-26-2007 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Cant spell

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavusblue3l0 View Post
    a camry faster then my 95 m3??
    i ran my buddy earlier today in his stock auto 02 540..
    got him by half a car from a 60mph roll until 4th and thats when he started inching past my door.
    540's are boats but they are quick! i wouldnt think quicker then the new camry... a 6sp should spank that toyota on the top end.

bmw>toyota
    I have run this car quite a few times up in to the 150 area and the thing is still pulling like a locomotive, when I either have to slow down because of upcoming traffic or my approaching exit. I think I would be ok on the top end(again guessing) but unfortunately here in eastern PA trying to run high speeds is pretty near impossible. And I even drive an interstate everyday and it is pretty much impossible to get clear road.

If I could move that powerband down a couple hundered RPM, maybe it would have been a different story. But coulda, woulda, shoulda...I cant do it.

My Cars
    Audi S4
    Quote Originally Posted by monsstr View Post
    Dont you think that a Camary is along the same lines as a BMW (not including the M series of course)? Obviously there is a huge price difference between the two when new but other then that, they are meant for the same thing, hauling 4 people. Just my opinion though.

I would think I have a more realistic chance against a Camary then I would trying to run a Vette or a hopped up Mustang. Not that I wouldnt give it a shot but I dont think I would be too upset when all I see is tailights.
    it's CAMRY, and using your logic.. you'll soon be racing hyundai sonata's .. because they are also meant for hauling four people.
    -Luis

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by lrg8683 View Post
    it's CAMRY, and using your logic.. you'll soon be racing hyundai sonata's .. because they are also meant for hauling four people.
    Thats the great thing about America, my logic only needs to make sense to me. So what would the difference be between a Hyundai trying to race me or me trying to race a Corvette or Viper or an SRT vehicle? Are you going to think me a better person if I can get my butt kicked by a faster car then a Toyota.

And its Hyundai Sonata. And only the C in Camry is capitalized.

My Cars
    99' 540i
    Uh.. you should walk him, esp with you mods. I know my 540IA isn't the fastest car on the road, but I know I could beat/ keep up with a camry.
    I can haz Zionsville?

My Cars
    E85 Z4M
    I'm shocked that you lost but more than anything I'm impressed that you have the balls to post about it. That takes a lot of courage.

My Cars
    2000 Saab Viggen, 2005 E46 C
    A very strange story.

Are those Camrys really that fast?

Rogo

My Cars
    99 BMW 540IA Sport/00 Camaro SS
    no way man.. i raced my buddys v6 sport and i have a 99 540ia, i owned him... by almost 2 cars... go get your car checkd out man.

that one that ran 14.3 must have been a factory freak or soemthin cuz if the one i raced did 14.3 u can be sure i wouldnt have put 2 cars between us

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by iggz View Post
    no way man.. i raced my buddys v6 sport and i have a 99 540ia, i owned him... by almost 2 cars... go get your car checkd out man.

that one that ran 14.3 must have been a factory freak or soemthin cuz if the one i raced did 14.3 u can be sure i wouldnt have put 2 cars between us
    I appreciate everyones opinions on this issue. I just bought the car about 5 months ago and am quickly learning all is not as it seems. I did change all the spark plugs and changed the oil right after I bought it. Its hard to tell how underpowered your car maybe if you have never driven another one.

Obviously, I would say there is a power issue with my car and I will have to try and figure out what is going on with it.

Would anyone possibly think it could be my GruppeM air intake? I liked how it looked and not having to cut my car up but after getting it, I dont think it grabs air to well and most of it is probably hot air from the engine. At this point, I am ready to ditch it.

If there is anyone within a reasonable distance of me that has a 540i that would like to drive my car and tell me what they think, I am all for it.

My Cars
    99 M3 cpe;15 Avalon Ltd.
    Wow, interesting results. The new Camry, Altima, and Maxima are all about the same speed and are very quick. Off the line they may have the edge, but I would think a 540 would own them from a roll. The 540 isn't the greatest off the line, but on a roll...look out. My buddy used to have an auto too, and from like70 or 80 on, that thing hauled.

Have it checked out, you may be losing power somewhere.

My Cars
    95 540 6spd 84 Euro 635
    who cares if you win or loose....unless its a money run...i thought we were all car enthusiasts...if a car is fast, quick, runs 9's, i dont care if its a turbo festiva, its part of loving the automobile...last year i got my ass handed to me in my 5.0 stang by a beat up and smashed turbo dodge omni, i had a big fat smile on my face as i saw the ugly ass box fading away

side note: i have raced my ex-g/f's accord v6 6-speed on the highway many times...she had no problem "keeping up" w/ the 540, those are cool cars too
    ................................ 1 of 7...................................
    .....................95' 540i 6spd, Calypso on Schwarz-.............

.........THIS IS THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE..........
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1548409

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast