Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Coming Soon: Technique Tuning E46 non-M Turbo Kit

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,

Thumbs up Coming Soon: Technique Tuning E46 non-M Turbo Kit

Let me introduce everybody to the upcoming Technique Tuning E46 non-M Turbo Kit. This kit has been in the making for a long time, and is in the final stages of development and testing. Our test vehicle is a 2001 330ci 5-speed. In stock configuration, the car dynoed at 196rwhp and 198rw ft-lbs. After design, installation, and initial tuning of the turbo kit, the power numbers are now 318rwhp and 299rw ft-lb with 8.5psi of boost. The 8.5psi of boost was achieved using an electronic boost controller (not included with the kit). Running only off of the wastegate's 6psi internal spring, the power numbers were 289rwhp and 267rw ft-lbs.

The kit will be a total bolt-on package. No exhaust welding will be required; no bumper cutting will be needed. There is no ground clearance lost with the installation of the kit. The factory splash shield and brace are retained under the engine. The air filter is mounted high and away from possible low-level standing water. A Garrett designed T3/T4 turbo is used to provide reliable boost, while an external wastegate expels unneeded exhaust gasses to regulate that boost. The large front mount intercooler mounts behind the factory bumper using a laser cut and CNC bent bracket. Our proven blow-through mass air system is retained, which also allows use of a blow-off valve (included with the kit).

Of course, tuning is done via reflashing of the factory ECU and larger fuel injectors. The vehicle's original smoothness is kept. Driveability is just like stock. Until the throttle pedal is pressed that is, as that's when the fun really begins Full boost is achieved by ~2600rpm on the street. Part throttle boost is virtually instantaneous too, giving the car a V8-type of feel (as can be seen by the torque curve's shape).

Below are several dyno graphs of the results thus far. Here are the details for the runs:

2001 BMW 330ci 5-speed
    Technique Tuning Turbo Kit (6-8.5psi)
    93 octane fuel
    same dyno used for all runs
    same vehicle used for all runs
    stock cams
    stock exhaust resonator and muffler
    stock clutch

stock vs 8.5psi run

6psi vs 8.5psi dyno run

stock vs 8.5psi conditions

We will be making minor tweaks to some of the components, and doing some more tuning to see if more power can be extracted. Pricing has not yet been finalized, but will definately be competitive (just like our E36 turbo kits). If there are any questions regarding the kit, feel free to contact me at nick@techniquetuning.com

note: new, updated pictures of the kit can be seen in this post:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&postcount=188
    Last edited by NickG; 01-13-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: added 2 pictures of the kit, added link to updated pics
    Nick Glantzis
    2005 330i ZHP auto with Technique Tuning turbo kit (currently For Sale)

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    Geez, Nick, that is the flattest Turbo trq curve I think weve ever seen!!! Theres only a 50 ft lb fall off between peak trq and trq at redline, whereas most weve seen show double, triple, or even more times that. And, instead of looking like a single Camel's hump, youve got an extended flat portion over the important midrange, which, again, is unique to the turbo plots I recall having seen. From 3k to 5k, its even flatter than Stock!! Congrats.. looks like a beaut!!
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    Wow! I want a ride! Great excuse to get a 330-cab.

I came away a little confused on the intended boost numbers for the kit.

Will the kit be tuned for 6psi and upgradeable to 8.5 at an additional cost?
    or
    Will the kit be tuned for 8.5psi with standard 6psi spring and optional boost controller?

Thanks, CS

My Cars
    E46 330ci turbo, 05 ZHP,
    Quote Originally Posted by 325icintn View Post
    Wow! I want a ride! Great excuse to get a 330-cab.

I came away a little confused on the intended boost numbers for the kit.

Will the kit be tuned for 6psi and upgradeable to 8.5 at an additional cost?
    or
    Will the kit be tuned for 8.5psi with standard 6psi spring and optional boost controller?

Thanks, CS
    Good question.

The kit (most importantly the tuning) can run any boost level from 4-8.5psi as delivered. We will install any wastegate spring the customer desires (ranging from 4-8.5psi). If people want the utmost in boost flexibility, they'll choose a 4 or 6psi wastegate spring, then install a boost controller of their liking to raise the boost to 8.5psi when desired. OR, we can install an 8.5psi spring from the beginning, so no boost controller is needed to run that higher boost pressure.
    Nick Glantzis
    2005 330i ZHP auto with Technique Tuning turbo kit (currently For Sale)

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Good question.

The kit (most importantly the tuning) can run any boost level from 4-8.5psi as delivered. We will install any wastegate spring the customer desires (ranging from 4-8.5psi). If people want the utmost in boost flexibility, they'll choose a 4 or 6psi wastegate spring, then install a boost controller of their liking to raise the boost to 8.5psi when desired. OR, we can install an 8.5psi spring from the beginning, so no boost controller is needed to run that higher boost pressure.
    That is exactly the answer I wanted to hear!
    Great job Nick!

My Cars
    2001 325i
    What are we looking like for an est. cost?

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    I thought of a couple more questions:

Manual tranny only?
    What about AWD cars?
    Any plans for a 530 version?

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    HELLL YYYEEAAA BOOYYYY!!!

Nick you are immortal and invincible, im convinced
    just as im pondering an E46, nice timing.

now suppose i wanted to get an MLS HG and ARP studs and wanted to crank it up to 14psi like your E36 kits. can accomodations be made?

My Cars
    e46 330i s14 240 mkiii Supra
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreuzen View Post
    What are we looking like for an est. cost?
    +1
    E90 + CLK 55 AMG

my signature just can't get right

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    It's about time you announced this.. you've been working on this for what, a year?
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

97 M3/4 - S54, TRM Coilovers, UUC SSK/Sways/LTW Flywheel

My Cars
    E24
    Wow!

My Cars
    TURBO 99 M3, F82 M4
    Great news for you E46 guys, Nick's cars run so smooth, I'm so happy I went with his kit. It's like stock, but so much faster.
    Mod list - M50 manifold; TechniqueTuning Stg2, Apex Arc-8, ZKW euro, clear corners Mike R diffbrace, Koni Yell with HR race
    X-brace UCC tranny mounts -BLK/with enforcers, powerflex rtabs,lcabs, AAfanclutch, mishimoto rad, UCC Ultra-cerametallic Clutch.
    You will go through days of joy and days of sadness as the pursuit for power leads to madness...

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    The kit will be a total bolt-on package. ...
    One more:

How will oil return be accomplished? Dropping the pan and tapping or something else?
    I've not dropped a pan in an e46 yet.

My Cars
    86' 325es/90' 325i; M3 Turbo & 00' Si = gone
    Been a long time coming.

GRRRREAT dyno plots! Super impressed!

Good luck with the new kits; I hope (know) you'll sell these like hotcakes!

My Cars
    2015 BMW 335i xDrive MSp
    Wow! What a great opportunity for going FI for the E46 folks. Congratulations on the solid looking numbers and well thought out kit. Good luck and I hope you sell a lot of them!
    2009 BMW 335i

My Cars
    Acura for now :(
    Very nice; I can't wait to see some pictures of the setup. If I do another turbo setup, I'm driving the car down in person to have you tune it Nick.

Congrats,

Nick
    Porsche Technician

1996 328is - |AFE intake|S52 cams|M50 manifold|Custom trackpipe|AA Tuned DME|Stromung catback|Fan delete|ASC delete|3.23 LSD|MZ3 Shifter|Sparco Front Strut Bar|Powerflex FCAB, RTAB, and subframe bushings|RE clutch stop|RE Transmission mounts|LTW5 17x9 wheels|245/40 tires|Bilstein BTS kit|HID Depo's| -*SOLD*

1995 Turbo M3 - 405/395 at the wheels - *SOLD*

My Cars
    Recovering Boost Junkie...
    Loving the dyno!

Is it a sign of E46 M3 turbo kit to come shortly after?
    2008 X5 4.8i
    2003 330xi -sold-
    2001 X5 4.4i -sold-
    2001 M5 -sold-
    2001 M Roadster (SCed, Highly modified) -sold-
    2000 M Roadster -sold-
    1995 325is -sold-

My Cars
    '01 Mcoupe / '16 Golf R
    WOW! You are my hero!

Eagerly anticipating some 325i graphs. It's been a dream of mine to acquire a 325 touring and boost it, build a good looking kid hauler, and now there finally is a real good option. All there was before was cf sc and very expensive ess ts's. Thank you nick.

My Cars
    e36 m3, e46 325, e36
    Awesome numbers Nick! The torque is great, this would surely wake up the daily driver!

Is this kit just for 330s? If so, any plans for a 325 kit? Also, what years is the kit for, 1999-2006?

My Cars
    searching for a new one
    So this is what you have been up to...

Makes me want an e46 even worse now
    -Dan D
    95 M3 White/Black
    A few bolt ons...
    08 Honda Accord Silver/Black
    EX-L 4 cylinder (wife's car)
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GT White/Grey
    Daily Driver

My Cars
    OG e46 m3
    how does it work with tha open diff Nick?

My Cars
    2001 325i BMW and 1971 Ford Mustang
    how much will this be because i have a 325i and been looking for an answer like this please say its not as much as what i think it is? how much is it?

My Cars
    e36 m3, e46 325, e36
    Quote Originally Posted by whisse und blau View Post
    how much will this be because i have a 325i and been looking for an answer like this please say its not as much as what i think it is? how much is it?
    ...Pricing has not yet been finalized, but will definately be competitive (just like our E36 turbo kits)...

My Cars
    2007 335i
    Wow congrats Nick. That is a very very pretty dyno sheet. Is there any chance of a kit for a 323 vert. My dad has always complained about the wimpy power and this is a great looking kit.
    2007 BMW 335i: stock for the foreseeable future.
    BFC OT Cook Book 1st Editionhttp://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1035694
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoeller View Post
    it always amazes me the things I see when I don't have a shotgun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    How turbochargers work: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

My Cars
    1995 325i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by solospeed View Post
    +1
    +2

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast