Thread: Window does not drop when door is open

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i "sold"

Window does not drop when door is open

Hi everyone I need your help please,
    My passenger window does not drop when I open the door (not every time, only once in a while). I had the dealer look at it last week when the convertible top hyd. motor was being replaced and my service manager said it needed to be re-programed (which they did).
    Last night when my wife got home I went to help her carry items in from the car (first time I have opened the passenger door since the day we picked it up from the dealer last Friday and it was working) and the window did not drop as it should when I opened the door, I closed it and tried it again, but still the same thing, not dropping. I put a little pressure (pushing down on the top of the window) while the door was open and it dropped, I then closed the door and it did not raise. Open and closed the door again and it still did not raise. I used the window control button to lower and raise the window and now it worked like it is supposed to (lowers when the door is opened and goes back up when you close the door.
    Has anyone else had this kind of problem and what was causing it??? Its going back into the dealer, but if anyone else has had this problem I might be able to help them correct the situation as we live over thirty five miles from the dealer and really do not enjoy driving there for the fun of it.... (unless of course a new car is in the near future, which it isn't )
    Thanks in advance for any help!!!!
    Bill

My Cars
    Yes
    I have good news for you. In addition to being one of THE most frequently-asked questions with these cars, 99% of the time, it's also one of the easiest "problems" to fix.

Basically, BMW's power windows have a "position memory," which tells them where the window should be in the opening & closing sequence. Sometimes, if that sequence is interrupted, or if the battery is disconnected, or even for no apparent reason at all, they can simply "forget" where they are, and need to be re-set. This happend from time to time in my MINI, but since the window action in the Z4 is tied to the top opening & closing, it seems to be a bit more prone to occasional confusion.

But the good news continues! Barring some major mechanical malfunction, this is usually nothing that requires a trip to any dealer, nor anything more than about 30 seconds of your own time. Here's how easy it is:

- Sit in the car, and put the key in position 1, so you have power to the windows.

- Push and hold down the window switch, and keep it held down for 5 seconds after the window is all the way down. This re-sets the memory, telling the motor, in effect, "Remember where we are now? Good."

- Roll window back up, and release switch.

- Open door. Marvel at the downward motion of the window. Repeat on other side, if you like.

And an optional additional step:

- Brag to wife about how you "re-programmed" your Z4's windows. Make it sound highly technical, and terribly difficult.

Good luck,
    DW

Last edited by Doctor Wha; 05-18-2007 at 06:27 AM.

My Cars
    yugo
    Great tip DW!!!
    This should be in the DIY section.

My Cars
    Yes

My Cars
    2007, MZ4
    Quote Originally Posted by ginz111 View Post
    Great tip DW!!!
    This should be in the DIY section.
    Ditto!! great advice! thanks.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i "sold"
    Guy's thank you very much for all your help!!!
    D. W. Is this the same reset procedure on all years and models of BMW's with electric windows??
    Thanks again for your help and sorry it took so long for me to respond as I did not have access to a computer until now...

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by wemo3 View Post
    Guy's thank you very much for all your help!!!
    D. W. Is this the same reset procedure on all years and models of BMW's with electric windows??
    As far as I know firsthand, it works in Z4s & MINIs. The windows of the E36 & E46 we've had were surrounded by metal door frames, so the windows didn't/don't need to drop. Just by extrapolation, however, it wouldn't make very much sense for BMW to design one reset procedure for only two models, and have different methods for others, especially when this one is so simple and direct.

So I guess the answer would be "I don't know, but I'd expect so."

Quote Originally Posted by wemo3 View Post
    Thanks again for your help and sorry it took so long for me to respond as I did not have access to a computer until now...
    You're quite welcome! Glad to help.

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i "sold"
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Wha View Post
    As far as I know firsthand, it works in Z4s & MINIs. The windows of the E36 & E46 we've had were surrounded by metal door frames, so the windows didn't/don't need to drop. Just by extrapolation, however, it wouldn't make very much sense for BMW to design one reset procedure for only two models, and have different methods for others, especially when this one is so simple and direct.

So I guess the answer would be "I don't know, but I'd expect so."

You're quite welcome! Glad to help.

Thanks again for your help and it would make sense that they would use the same method.
    My E36 (1998 323is, I really miss this car!!) before the Z4 did also have the windows drop, but they were not surrounded by metal.

My Cars
    '03 Z4 3.0i
    Glad to know im not the only one with that problem. Thanks for the post.

My Cars
    E92 LCI
    Thanks for the instructions Doctor Wha. worked like a charm on my E92 LCI, great stuff.

Cheers.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 MC
    I have to do this about once a week. Is that normal? It's kind of a pain.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323ci
    What do you recommend if this does not fix the problem?

My Cars
    see my signature
    Quote Originally Posted by driley05
    What do you recommend if this does not fix the problem?
    Maybe checking your battery or just buying a new one....that fixes a lot of electronic probs...
    2006 R53 JCW (British Racing Green) - 1994 E31 840Ci 6spd (AVUS Blue)
    2021 F56 JCW (Rebel Green) - 2000 E38 740i Sport (Titanium Silver)
    2017 F26 X4 M40i (Carbon Black) - 2007 E91 328iT (Deep Green)
    2012 E82 135i M Sport (Marrakesh Brown) - 2015 E84 X1 (Cashmere Silver)
    2005 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Kalahari Beige) - 2000 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2000 E38 740i Sport (Oxford Green) - 1999 E36 M3 Coupe (Fern Green)
    1995 E31 840Ci Canadian (Oxford Green) - 2000 E36/8 M Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2004 E46 330Ci (Oxford Green) - 2001 E36/8 Z3 3.0i Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2002 E39 525i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2002 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2001 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2007 E63 M6 (Silver Grey)
    1995 E31 840Ci (Oxford Green) - 2006 E86 M Coupe (Sepang Bronze)
    2001 E39 530i Sport (Aspen Silver) - 2009 E92 M3 (Space Grey)
    2001 E38 740i Sport (Sahara Beige) - 2008 E92 M3 (Melbourne Red)
    2000 E38 740i Sport Canadian (Sahara Beige) - 1997 E31 850Ci (Jet Black)

My Cars
    Many
    Several different procedures. One will work. https://web.archive.org/web/20120701...rocedures.html
    Last edited by shogun; 03-10-2022 at 05:59 AM.
    You all never seem to have enough time to do the job properly the first time, but you always seem to find the time to do it a second time......... ME