Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z4 Door Handle LEDs - DIY

My Cars
    Yes

Z4 Door Handle LEDs - DIY

Greetings All,

Here's a nifty little mod that'll add a bit of light to your doors. A German Z4 owner posted a few pics of it a year or two back, so a nod to him for paving the way. However, after researching the process, I made some adjustments to his procedure, and have attempted to provide more detailed photos and explanations that should help reduce some of the guesswork.

As with any modification you see on the boards, standard disclaimers apply:
    I am not a BMW or automotive technician, and make no claims of official endorsement from, or affiliation with, BMW. The steps that follow are a record of my own work. Any work you undertake, or modifications you perform on your own car(s) is done at your own risk, and any damage or malfunction that results is entirely your responsibility. If you have any doubts whatsoever as to your ability to complete a given task, please seek out appropriate professional assistance before proceeding.

So now that the lawyers have duly noted their profession's effect on things...

Here are the Doc Wha notes on installing Door Handle LEDs!

Good luck, and enjoy!
    DW

Last edited by Doctor Wha; 07-12-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Pic Fix

My Cars
    Yes
    Continued...

Last edited by Doctor Wha; 07-12-2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Pic Fix

My Cars
    Yes
    Home Stretch...

Last edited by Doctor Wha; 07-12-2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Pic Fix

My Cars
    Yes
    So there you have it. Again, good luck!

DW

My Cars
    '17 MB C300, '13 ATS 2.0
    Great job, Doc. BTW, I might add that while one had the door off, you could pack in some sound deadener to reduce the tinny sound of the door closing. This is a DIY on this also, but I forget on which forum.

Here I might ask of those who read this thread, does your door closing sound less than solid and what year is your Z4? Maybe BMW fixed this after my year, '06?

My Cars
    Yes
    Thanks, Flycaster, glad you liked the pics.

As for the door sound, there have been complaints about that from some folks almost from the day they brought the car out. While it really seems to bother some, others have never found it anything much to worry over.

I think it's just the nature of the beast. In a door one would find on an E36, E46, X3, X5, etc., with metal running all the way around it, and the job of supporting a much larger (and heavier) piece of glass for the window, one would naturally hear a deeper, heavier sound coming from the door when it closes.

On the other hand, a Z4 door is smaller than almost anything else in the line, with less material in it to begin with. If you consider that a coffee can falling over makes a higher-pitched, less heavy sound than a metal trash can would if it were tipped over, it makes sense that it wouldn't sound the same. That, and part of the whole "roadster" idea is to have a lighter-than-average car. As materials used in cars gets lighter overall, I think you can probably look for sounds to change across the board in the future.

I think it's a just a matter of people overcoming the conventions they're used to. The Z4 is the complete opposite of the larger cars and SUVs many are probably accustomed to, so when they hear the door, it sounds "wrong" to them. But I don't find it an issue of any real concern.

Similarly, some poeple move from large cars and SUVs into Z4s and MINIs, and then complain about the "harsh" ride. They seem to want a luxury-boat ride to cushion anything they get into, and are vexed when faced with the fact that such cars are different animals entirely! It's not a question of anything being "wrong" with the car, so much as it is one's frame of reference, and expectations.

But that's for another thread, and I don't want to hijack this one any further.

DW

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Most excellent!
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    yugo
    Yet another fabulous Diy!

My Cars
    Yes
    Thanks gents!

I figured Kevlar would be in here just to see what this thread was doing with 35 attachments, hogging all the bandwidth!

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    If we get more DIYs like this, I have no problem making a DIY subsection to house them all.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    If we get more DIYs like this, I have no problem making a DIY subsection to house them all.
    Excellent! The DIY section on Z4um was a very popular and useful repository. They actually had a good policy for that section too: Instructions only, no discussion. Once the posts were complete from the OP, the thread was locked, making it essentially "read-only." Discussions took place in the general chatter section. Very smart, as it kept the DIY section nice and orderly.

My Cars
    Z4

Excellent Write Up!

This thread will come in handy for swapping out the MID RANGE SPEAKERS AS WELL for door panel removal.

My Cars
    Slow E90 and a Fast E90
    I really like that idea.
    Have you guys seen how the E9Xs have a led shining down when you hit unlock?
    Ian

My Cars
    135i, E430
    Agree, changing speakers can be more important.

My Cars
    2007 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Flycaster View Post
    Great job, Doc. BTW, I might add that while one had the door off, you could pack in some sound deadener to reduce the tinny sound of the door closing. This is a DIY on this also, but I forget on which forum.

Here I might ask of those who read this thread, does your door closing sound less than solid and what year is your Z4? Maybe BMW fixed this after my year, '06?
    Reports are that the face-lifted models (2006+) do have insulation added to improve the sound of the doors.
    You had your entire life to prepare for today.

My Cars
    03 M5, 02 540iT, 07 Z4 MC, 66 Mustang, 64 Avanti
    Very nice DIY!

My Cars
    07 Z4Si & 03 330i

door panel led pics?

Pics dont show in firefox or IE - little help.
    Thanks

My Cars
    Z3 and Z4 M Coupe
    They don't show up on my computer either.
    Drink wine! BMW CCA #373875 - 2007 M Coupe (project) - 2000 Z3 Coupe - 2015 Impreza wagon

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 M coupe
    i cant see them either...

My Cars
    '07 M Z4 Roadster
    They show up fine for me.

Like me, you will be able to see the pictures when you set your computer's clock back to 2007.

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by Z4Murder View Post
    i cant see them either...
    The photos have been removed from the origin server or the server has been terminated. you cant get these photos any longer.
    I call her weezey
    2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster

My Cars
    2008 z4
    any chance to repost pics?

My Cars
    2001 750iL

Pics

Quote Originally Posted by RufusKing View Post
    The photos have been removed from the origin server or the server has been terminated. you cant get these photos any longer.
    Any chance of the pics being reposted? Thanks.

My Cars
    '04 Z4 3.0i roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
    Pics dont show in firefox or IE - little help.
    Thanks
    Photos aren't coming through on my iMac either. . .

My Cars
    2007 328i
    The pics are GONE. The thread is THREE YEARS OLD.
    You had your entire life to prepare for today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast