Thread: Front Bumper, Inner Fender, and Fog Lights, oh my!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3

Front Bumper, Inner Fender, and Fog Lights, oh my!

Does anyone know of a link to somewhere that discusses removing and replacing the front bumper cover? The Bentley is pretty brief, and it says to remove the beam. Is that necessary? Really?

Also, I need to replace the right front inner fender. I found it on realoem.com, any other suggestions for a good place to get one? I'll call the local dealer tomorrow to compare the price.

Finally, has anyone replaced their foglights with something different? I'm picturing replacing the light and black side cover with a single sheet of black plastic, and mounting small projector lights in there.

Thanks!
    Bob

My Cars
    e30, e46, Super Duty
    Removing the bumper cover involves removing the under panel cover, removing headlights, removing bumper lenses, then remove a bunch of nylon fastners. At this point it should just slide right off.

I use Hella Optilux 1100 fogs. I picked them up a few years ago for like $40. They work about as well as stock and fit nicely in the ///M bumper cover
    1991 e30 318is Slicktop - Gone
    1996 LS1 Z3 - Gone
    99 e46 323i - Gone
    2003 e46 xiT - Hers
    2014 F-250 CC- Mostly stock

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    For the foglights, you can get the blank panel for cars that came without the foglight, and mount whatever you want in there. That's what I did for my brake ducts.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    For the foglights, you can get the blank panel for cars that came without the foglight, and mount whatever you want in there. That's what I did for my brake ducts.
    Ah, good plan! And, they're pretty cheap. (http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...8&hg=51&fg=15). Thanks for that advice!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeZ View Post
    Removing the bumper cover involves removing the under panel cover, removing headlights, removing bumper lenses, then remove a bunch of nylon fastners. At this point it should just slide right off.

I use Hella Optilux 1100 fogs. I picked them up a few years ago for like $40. They work about as well as stock and fit nicely in the ///M bumper cover
    Thanks for the response. Oh, and I need to get those fasteners.
    I should have mentioned this is not an M, so the fog light opening is different.

My Cars
    Z3
    Let us know how this goes.

Please Please Please take lots of detailed pictures. And a detailed write up would be so much appreciated

This is a common DIY project that no one has really detailed before so this would be a great opportunity to show what all is involved.

I'm one of the people that will be following in your foot steps in the next few months.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by grgoyl86 View Post
    Does anyone know of a link to somewhere that discusses removing and replacing the front bumper cover? The Bentley is pretty brief, and it says to remove the beam. Is that necessary? Really?

Also, I need to replace the right front inner fender. I found it on realoem.com, any other suggestions for a good place to get one? I'll call the local dealer tomorrow to compare the price.

Finally, has anyone replaced their foglights with something different? I'm picturing replacing the light and black side cover with a single sheet of black plastic, and mounting small projector lights in there.

Thanks!
    Bob
    Seems to me I have a brand new fender liner. I don't know how I end up with this stuff. Email me at pbfut@pbfut.com if you want it. I am pretty sure it's right side. I'll have to check. Considering you are across the country, probably cheaper to buy from local source. They do coil up pretty small believe it or not.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    Seems to me I have a brand new fender liner. I don't know how I end up with this stuff. Email me at pbfut@pbfut.com if you want it. I am pretty sure it's right side. I'll have to check. Considering you are across the country, probably cheaper to buy from local source. They do coil up pretty small believe it or not.
    The email, it be sent. Thanks!

My Cars
    06' Lotus Elise
    Yes please take pics...Im taking mine off in a few months to get repainted and replaced...
    Sold

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    I can do the picture thing. It will probably go to the paint shop this week, should be back next week. I'll keep y'all posted!

I already have a new lower grill and clear bumper lights. Where's the best place for an amber bulb for those?

Speaking of the clear lights, I had posted a while back about trying to adapt them to the rear - well, the front is more curved, so I don't think it's gonna work. I've not given up on my quest for that, however! Meanwhile, anyone have a spare red reflector for the right side of the rear bumper, to replace my missing one, until I find an alternative?

Bob

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3

Cool Update . . .

The bumper cover is at the body shop now, picking up tonight. I hope I get a chance to work on it this weekend!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Job done yesterday, I'll try to get the pics out of the camera and posted today. Hmm, I assume I can post pictures now . . .

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    OK, here goes. I didn't get a picture before I started, but in this shot you can see the damage in the bottom center of the bumper. Also note that my first step was removing the headlights.

On this next shot, you can see the headlight mounting points. There are two across the top (note the black hex-shaped attachments). There is one in the bottom left, and one near the bottom right of the picture.

(cont'd)

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Here are the bumper attachments. Three under each headlight. With these, you just pull up the pin in the middle (wire cutters?), then pull the while rivet out.

In the middle, under the grill, there are two rivets. I stuck a small screwdriver in the center, then popped them out.

Here you can see two of the rivets in different phases of the removal process:

(cont'd)

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    OK, now we move a little lower. Next I removed the fog lights. Pop off the black plastic piece. You can just grab it by hand and pull straight out.

Behind that plastic piece are two screws. Remove them, and pull the light assembly out.

As the light is removed, you will see the connector. Squeeze the connector, and unplug the light.

Here is the connector sans light.

(cont'd)

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Next I removed the side lights in the bumper.

At this point you can reach from behind, through the headlight hole, and press the metal tab and push the light out.

Twist the bulb out of it's socket, and set it aside.

(cont'd)

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Time to go underneath. Of course, be sure to support the vehicle safely, using jackstands.
    Looking underneath, you'll see the screws holding the bumper cover. I was already missing some of them.

In the fog light holes, there are more of those rivets that you pull the centers out of.

Finally, inside the lower grill opening, are a few more of those rivets.

(cont'd)

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Pull the bumper cover off.

Here you'll see the "slip joints" that are used on each side.

At this point, you may want to do some detailing. I polished the middle section of the top of the beam, where it shows when the bumper is installed. If you're not into the shiny stuff, you may want to paint it black or something.

(cont'd)

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Before you install the new bumper cover, inspect the new and the old, and look for differences. One thing is the clips for the fog lights. Pull them out and slip them onto the new bumper cover.

Mine was already missing the lower grill, and I had a new one to install. You may have to transfer your old one over.

OK, assembly is the reverse of disassembly. I found the hardest part was getting the bottom screws into the proper locations for the headlights.

Here is the final result. Notice that I also swapped clear bumper lights in while I was at it.

Thanks for watching.

Any questions?

Bob