Thread: First Impressions: VF Engineering E46 M3 Kit, Including DIY Install

My Cars
    2005 M3

First Impressions: VF Engineering E46 M3 Kit, Including DIY Install

Well, after installing the kit myself and driving the car for over a week, including the break-in period, I thought I would post my impressions of the kit, including the DIY install. According to VF, I am one of a few brave, non-BMW mechanic/tech types to attempt an install of this kit. As far as the install is concerned, I will cover the highlights (or maybe low-lights ).

The Install

The install was very straight forward for the most part. Prior to this install, I had done such items as spark plug replacement, header replacement, fuel injector replacement, and intake replacement, all on my E36. I had not done anything on the E46 prior to this install other than an Angel Eyes install. The E46 and E36 are similar, but the E46 did have it's challenges.

All of the parts of the kit were top quality as far as I could tell and the instrucions were very straight forward. That being said, I still had several questions, and VF was very patient with me regarding them. Now, the stuff that annoyed me about the install.

1. Parts. Apparently BMW changed the intake manifold design for the M3, the split occured for cars produced after 10/2004. How did this affect me? The rubber couplers that connect the manifold to the engine from my car did not fit the VF manifold. I ended up having to order the parts from the dealer. VF refunded me for the parts and future buyers should not have to worry about this (I was one of the first cars that VF encountered this problem, my car is a 02/2005 build).

2. Fuel injectors. All I will say here is that the fuel rail on the E46 did not come off as easy as the E36 (or as easy as the Bentley manual made it look). After a little cursing, they finally came out .

3. New manifold install. This was a bitch to say the least. VF upgraded the bypass valve to a more "beefy" one. The bypass valve connects to the intake snorkel, making the fit very, and I mean very tight. The bad news is that it took me almost 2 hours to get the damn thing on until I figured it out(kicking and swearing all the way). The good news is that the fit is so tight (which is a good thing) that I am not worried about any boost/vacuum leaks. Also, getting to the bolt that attaches the bracket under the manifold was a bitch. So much so I couldn't get my hands under there. Since I just moved to the Washington, DC area, I had the boys at RRT help me out with this.

4. Coolant reservoir install. This was actually one of the very easy parts of the install. The rear brackets for the tank attach to the swaybar brackets. Now when VF says don't over torque those nuts, they mean don't over torque
    those nuts. Long story short, I snapped off one of the nuts and stud. The boys at RRT helped me out here as well by conducting the repair. I was lucky I was close to a shop like RRT who specializes in building BMW race cars so this repair was very simple for them.

Well those were the high (or maybe low) points of the install. The only other thing that bothered me was that I had to wait 5 weeks to complete the install because I could only work on the weekends. The real good news is that the car started up right away an purred like a kitten. Some of you may remember the issue I had with my dealer about not updating my software, which is required prior to VF loading their software. Long story short, my software was a bit old, but it was still new enough to work (I was lucky). However, I wouldn't take a chance so if you get this kit, get your software updated as VF instructs.

The Drive

Waiting for the break-in period, which was 300 miles, to be done was painfull. But it was made easy by the fact that I didn't want to drive the car hard until I got the sway bar bracket fixed anyway. At least my wait wasn't long since most of the break-in miles were on my highway trip from Chesapeake to DC and I took the car to RRT right away.

After the repairs were complete, it was time to have some fun. In a word, the car is fast, very fast. Not the sledge hammer hit like a turbo. This is not a hit against the kit, we all know that turbo characteristics are different than a supercharger, at least centrifugal ones anyway. The increase in power seemed to match the stock power curve, there was just more of it. I always found the "sweet spot" on this engine to be between 3k-5k rpm. The blower made that spot (and every other spot) even sweeter.

However, when off boost, the car feels (and sounds) just like stock. The car is also very quiet. At idle, you will only hear the blower if you are looking for it, either inside or outside the car. When driving, again the blower is very quiet. I could hear a very faint whisper of the blower if I had the radio off. But again, I had to look for it. When I first installed the kit, I did get some slight vibration at low RPMs that seemed to come from the firewall. After some investigation (some more help from RRT here as well) I found out that the wiper cowl was very close to the manifold and came in minor contact with the manifold due to the torquing of the engine when under throttle. A few minutes with a dremel tool on the wiper cowl and the vibration was gone.

Overall I am very impressed and pleased with the kit, including fit and finish. Even though I got pissed at times, I am still glad I did the install myself and feel a sense of accomplishment. Also, I started what looks to be a good working relationship with RRT (my car was the first one they had seen the VF kit installed). Which is good since I will be in the DC area for the next few years.

I would definately recommend this kit. I like it better than Dinan because it is significantly cheaper. And I liked it better than AA because the install was easier for a novice like me (no water/alcohol system to deal with) and didn't require extra parts (headers, etc) to make the power. I have nothing against AA or Dinan (I think they both are also very high quality kits from what I have read and seen), but the VF kit was the best fit for me.
    Last edited by jmciver; 05-02-2007 at 09:23 AM.
    James
    2005 Imola Red M3 - VF Stage I Supercharged Street/Track Car
    E46 M3 VF Engineering Stage I Supercharger DIY

My Cars
    '03.5 M3 Coupe
    Great write up and congrats on doing it yourself!

Have any pictures?
    -Ted

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Lets see some photos!!
    Ground Control Coil Overs & Camber Plates, Recaro PP Race Seats, UUC Short Shifter, IE Subframe Bushings, Stainless Steel Brake/Clutch Lines, PWR Radiator, Custom Oil Cooler

My Cars
    2005 M3
    If you mean install photos, I am in th slow process of putting together a small site further docummenting the saga. But without words, the pics are pretty bland. As far as engine bay pics, I don't have any (at least not now) since there have been several engine bay pics posted on the forums already. But I can answer questions about the install.
    James

My Cars
    S54 M-Coupe (Estoril Blu
    Maddog

My Cars
    '99 M3
    I think I saw you at RRT last week thursday. wayne and james mentioned that you had the kit. congrats!!

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmciver View Post

Apparently BMW changed the intake manifold design for the M3, the split occured for cars produced after 10/2004.
    Wow, i didnt know that! thanks for the info! great to hear your positive results with your kit; i wish i had the balls to install my own S/c kit.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MC28REPSOL View Post
    Ok, fair enough.....

The first one is a pic of the rubber couplers I was talking about. The one on the left is a post 10/2004 one (like what came on my car). The one on the right is a pre 10/2004 one, which will fit the VF manifold. And just in case you were wondering, the cost for six of these couplers with clamps (they changed too) was $117 with my CCA discount.

The next one shows were on the cowl I had to grind down a bit (it looks more than what it really is) to get rid of the slight vibration.

The last one is a pic of the engine bay with the cowl removed. You can see where I mounted the boost gauge sender in the upper left hand corner, just to the right of the battery terminal.

Is that a bit better.... ....??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jmciver; 05-02-2007 at 09:17 AM.
    James

My Cars
    2015 BMW 335i xDrive MSp
    Great Job. I consider myself mechanically challanged and did my own ES TS install. There was a lot of kicking and screaming because of mistakes I made along the way but once I made it right I learned from it. In the end doing my own install made the results that much better. Again great job and write up and enjoy the ride!
    2009 BMW 335i

My Cars
    Recovering Boost Junkie...
    Congrats

I am getting some minor work done on my m5 at RRT next week, and they mentioned about your car, cause they know I have a SCed s54 M Roadster. I was wondering if the owner was on this forum, glad to find u here.

Next time you are at RRT, maybe I can swing by the check out your setup. RRT is literally about 10 to 15 minutes away from my house.
    2008 X5 4.8i
    2003 330xi -sold-
    2001 X5 4.4i -sold-
    2001 M5 -sold-
    2001 M Roadster (SCed, Highly modified) -sold-
    2000 M Roadster -sold-
    1995 325is -sold-

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerpwr View Post
    Congrats

I am getting some minor work done on my m5 at RRT next week, and they mentioned about your car, cause they know I have a SCed s54 M Roadster. I was wondering if the owner was on this forum, glad to find u here.

Next time you are at RRT, maybe I can swing by the check out your setup. RRT is literally about 10 to 15 minutes away from my house.
    My other M3 (the blue one you see in my sig) is currently at RRT right now so there is a good chance I might see you there.
    James

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    [img]http://forums.***************************************?att achmentid=190610&stc=1&d=1178100601[/img]

thanks for the pics JM. it looks as though the new design actually increases airflow. The new couplers have to be at least a quarter to a half an inch larger in diameter.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    '03.5 M3 Coupe
    Thanks for the pictures! Makes me want one!
    -Ted

My Cars
    skateboard
    NIce write up, btw the intake manifold looks sick.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '99 M3
    wow that intake manifold looks great!

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
    [img]http://forums.***************************************?att achmentid=190610&stc=1&d=1178100601[/img]

thanks for the pics JM. it looks as though the new design actually increases airflow. The new couplers have to be at least a quarter to a half an inch larger in diameter.
    I havn't seen a pre 10/2004 stock manifold, but something tells me that the inner diameter of the "trumpets" didn't change, just the outer diameter. If the inner diameter changed, that would mean more air into the engine and therefore more power (I would guess). But we all know BMW didn't change the power output of the car either. Now why BMW changed the thickness of the trumpets? I don't know. Maybe there were some issues with cracking or something.

If you take a closer look at the pic you will notice that the engine side of the couplers are still the same diameter.
    James

My Cars
    97 M3/4 - Hurtig/AA TS
    Quote Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
    Wow, i didnt know that! thanks for the info! great to hear your positive results with your kit; i wish i had the balls to install my own S/c kit.

I just wish you had the balls to even get someone ELSE to install your S/C kit!!!

Sorry for the OT!

Have you been Screwed?

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Just went to the dealer today to get the oil changed under warranty. I was curious what their reaction would be to the S/C since it is not a Dinan kit. To my surprise, there wasn't even the slightest bit of "drama". I needed them to reset the adaptation in the car to help the car "learn" the S/C software and that went off without a hitch too (you may remember I had issues with them updating my software prior to sending my ECU to VF for initial programming). They even gave me a printout of some other diagnostic data I wanted while my car was hooked up to the computer. The car runs better already since the adaptation was reset and should get better as the car continues to "learn".
    James

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
    I just wish you had the balls to even get someone ELSE to install your S/C kit!!!

Sorry for the OT!

touche!
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    E46 M3

!

Quote Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
    Just went to the dealer today to get the oil changed under warranty. I was curious what their reaction would be to the S/C since it is not a Dinan kit. To my surprise, there wasn't even the slightest bit of "drama". I needed them to reset the adaptation in the car to help the car "learn" the S/C software and that went off without a hitch too (you may remember I had issues with them updating my software prior to sending my ECU to VF for initial programming). They even gave me a printout of some other diagnostic data I wanted while my car was hooked up to the computer. The car runs better already since the adaptation was reset and should get better as the car continues to "learn".
    This is more good info for owners or soon-to-be VF owners. Lots of "talk" (no offense here to personal opinions) about VF s/c but very little info from owners with real time in in the seat experience.
    Keep it coming...