Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MY E36 Double Din Touchscreen/DVD/NAV Install.........

m3steve is offline BFC Consumerist / PNW Mod
    My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3

MY E36 Double Din Touchscreen/DVD/NAV Install.........

About 3/4 of the way done with this, working with a master installer good friend (Jesse). I let him know some of the areas of concern with the HVAC, and he somehow got everything working and installed. It's already looking sick and I'm EXTREMELY excited, heres a few pictures so far. The brackets for the HVAC have already been fabbed, just need to install the rest, we ran out of time tonight. HVAC all still works perfectly......... Oh and in case your wondering, its a Pioneer AVIC-D3.

Last edited by m3steve; 12-09-2010 at 11:59 PM.

My Cars
    Tacoma
    thats so sick!!!! i wish i had that talent and know how to do something like that, but i dont and i dont want to pay someone alot of money to do it for me. but awesome job!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3T, 1999 AWD Eclipse Spyder...yes TURBO!
    I definitely am jealous and wishing I had that!

My Cars
    sick man i love your steering wheel
    e36 325is- sold
    e36 328is- RIP
    e30 325is- sold
    e36 325is- sold

My Cars
    Blacked out E46 (black on black on black)
    Funny you mention that because I have some of this in my near future as well. How was the install (i ask because it looks like you did it yourself from the pics)

» CLICK « Link to pics in sig w/ story!

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    Luckily your car has a kit you can buy for it. E36's do not, and I have only seen 1 picture of a completed install that was functional.We had to map everything out in terms of the HVAC controls, that was by far the hardest part. The air vent in the back that distributes the majority of the air had to be molded and cut, then actually used dynamat to make the cut part flexible but keep it sealed off. Most everything was crafted by my buddy Jesse at work.
    The last thing I wanted was a Nice D3 in there, but with my vents having air pressure at the psi of a squirrel breathing........
    Last edited by m3steve; 04-24-2007 at 05:16 AM.

My Cars
    Blacked out E46 (black on black on black)
    You think if I installed a single din flip out dvd head unit it would be much easier?

» CLICK « Link to pics in sig w/ story!

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    thats an understatement. Single din installs are typically pretty easy. The only thing is running the GPS Receiver, and you will have to mount a "brain" somewhere as an alternative. Any major retail electronics store that does installation, will put something like that in for about 150 bucks. Pretty reasonable if you aren't familiar with your AV system.

My Cars
    modded 98 BMW 328I
    Looks sick, must have been a lot of work.

I tried listing my mods but I gave up check link for most of the mods http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...7&postcount=91

My Cars
    E36,Datsun510.T-Tundra
    Looks clean! how deep is that unit?

...When you get a blackeye from trying to change the shift knob.

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    the chassis of the body is 6.5 inches. It has the brain built into it, which makes it quite a bit deeper then most when its also 4 inches high.

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tvp View Post
    Looks sick, must have been a lot of work.
    Pretty much everything was done by Jesse Bennett. He's starting a local edition of Unique Whips
    Last edited by m3steve; 04-24-2007 at 11:41 PM.

My Cars
    '08 135, '08 Jeep GC
    How much would something like that run anyway? If I decide to keep my car I was just going to do new speakers, amps, sub(s), and put a new HU in the glove compartment box and keep it looking stock on the dash, but that looks really clean.

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 993 911 View Post
    How much would something like that run anyway? If I decide to keep my car I was just going to do new speakers, amps, sub(s), and put a new HU in the glove compartment box and keep it looking stock on the dash, but that looks really clean.
    PM Me........... You would have to bring your car up to seattle........

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3

***Update***

1. Installed the Ipod cable. The unit has a built in ipod interface on the screen, it also plays any videos on the ipod, right on the screen which is awesome, I essentially can have 30gigs of music and movies anytime (also keeps the unit charged)

2. Ran RCA's and Remote wire for future amp/sub install

3. Ran Video Cable for Backup camera. I'm still trying to figure out where I am going to put the camera. I don't want it anywhere that is noticeable.

My Cars
    modded 98 BMW 328I
    what type of tail lights do you have i saw this on where he mounted it in one of his back up lights in place of the bulb. he had clear lenses.

I tried listing my mods but I gave up check link for most of the mods http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...7&postcount=91

My Cars
    98 m3/4/5, 2000 323i
    Thats really nice. I like the look of the double din a lot more than the pop out/ fold up single din units. I looked up the cost of the Pioneer AVIC-D3 on crutchfield: $999- which means you can get it for probably $700-800 at other places on line (crutch is spendy). For that money, that is a great unit: big screen, double din, gps, dvd, mp3. awesome.

I'm personally looking for a single din head unit that has bluetooth on it... but your install makes me jealous.

My Cars
    E34 540i/6 E36 M3 E46 M3
    Very nice! That's the same head unit I want for my GTI.

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    Quote Originally Posted by drsides View Post
    Thats really nice. I like the look of the double din a lot more than the pop out/ fold up single din units. I looked up the cost of the Pioneer AVIC-D3 on crutchfield: $999- which means you can get it for probably $700-800 at other places on line (crutch is spendy). For that money, that is a great unit: big screen, double din, gps, dvd, mp3. awesome.

I'm personally looking for a single din head unit that has bluetooth on it... but your install makes me jealous.
    The only thing I would caution you on is there are a TON of grey market dealers in the car audio world. Whoever you order it through, just make sure that they are an authorized dealer. I can tell you from experience that if you don't have proof of purchase from an authorized dealer, pioneer won't service your unit if you have a problem. They make great products that typically exceed their competition, but they stand behind their authorized dealer stance pretty firm.

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    *************UPDATE***************
    well its pretty much done for the most part. I did a double din touchscreen nav dvd install in my e36, which is extremely difficult to do, anyways, there is a 9/16" Space between my OBC and where I relocated my HVAC Controls. Right now there is a fabbed piece of ABS plastic there, and I am having an engraving shop make me a special piece that will fit in there. I am trying to preserve the OEM look as much as possible without it looking ricey, so I didnt want to just slap a badge onto it.

So I will have a custom made emblem that will look like the following. I had to do some slight pchopping for the silver lines, but I thought it would look sick with the silver lines extended.
    The dimensions are as follows:
    Width: 7 7/16"
    Height: 9/16"
    Depth: 1/8"

THIS IS WHAT THE PIECE WILL LOOK LIKE

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 07 Ram2500 CTD
    It's kind of like art. Really amazing. It'll definitely be one of kind when you're done.

Dinan CAI, Conforti Shark, Tein Basic C/Os, 8.5" Squared DSII wrapped in Star Specs, Euro Floating Rotors. WTB: Trunk w/ no spoiler, ZKW Headlights, Exhaust (Dinan or UUC RSC36)

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MyMach5 View Post
    It's kind of like art. Really amazing. It'll definitely be one of kind when you're done.
    I'm excited to get it finished, and looking forward to getting some finished pictures up. I don't need major speed modications to my car, but I do want it to be unique and one of a kind. I don't mind some simple bolt ons, but I have a family, and don't need to be driving stupid fast, but I do want to show people that I take pride in my car, and ultimately, I want to try and win a Councours de Elegance with aftermarket interior parts. The trick is getting them to feel that it still maintains an OEM look. The local CCA is actually pretty good about respecting tasteful modifications.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5 07 Ram2500 CTD
    Can't wait to see the pics when you're done.

Dinan CAI, Conforti Shark, Tein Basic C/Os, 8.5" Squared DSII wrapped in Star Specs, Euro Floating Rotors. WTB: Trunk w/ no spoiler, ZKW Headlights, Exhaust (Dinan or UUC RSC36)

My Cars
    E9x
    So I will have a custom made emblem that will look like the following. I had to do some slight pchopping for the silver lines, but I thought it would look sick with the silver lines extended.

[/quote]
    This looks great, I have always wondered if anyone has done one of these sills but with a light up emblem instead? Thsi one still looks amazing though. Nice work
    Always looking for an E30 M3 shell or roller, PM me.

My Cars
    E36 Dinan M3
    Quote Originally Posted by nhm3bimmer View Post

This looks great, I have always wondered if anyone has done one of these sills but with a light up emblem instead? Thsi one still looks amazing though. Nice work[/quote]

I ended up cutting abs, and wrapping it stitched in OE patterned Vinyl to fill the piece....the m logo looked to ricey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast