Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: CAI recommendations

My Cars
    2011 BMW M3

528i? intake??

delete
    Last edited by bigm77; 02-25-2011 at 05:02 AM.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    the best answer you'll get: it's all hogwash. the car is fit from the factory with a "ram air" intake that snakes through the front bumper to the stock airbox. There have been cases of people sucking up water with the cold air intakes by going through wet weather- these cases sometimes cost a new engine. On top of all that to worry about the aftermarket cold air intakes don't really add a noticeable performance increase.

Your best bet for a stock 528i is a engine chip- beyond that the biggest bang for your buck would be to supercharge/turbo it. These aren't mustangs, the engineers have already squeezed about as much power as you can get for the naturally aspirated 2.8. amen.
    Last edited by e39dream; 09-24-2006 at 02:14 PM.

My Cars
    2011 BMW M3
    nd where would i be able to get an engine chip for a bmw 528i year 2000

My Cars
    05 x5 4.4 06 F250 6.0PSD
    dont forget about a k&n filter for your stock airbox, dreamer up above is right, putting in a intake will decrease hp for bmw's

look for a shark injector for the chip, i dont know how good it is
    The e39 540i is gone, awaiting the e60 m5, till then ill drive the wifes 05 x5 4.4i

My Cars
    87 325is
    A K&N in the stock airbox isn't that good of an idea. An oiled air filter runs the risk of contaminating the MAF and ruining it.

I don't know whether a 528i calls for the foam/paper OE filter or the all paper filter (as used on E36's & the E46 M3). If the car has the OE foam/paper filter, substituting the all paper filter does help (proved on a dyno).
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    m52 powered
    some good brands for chips are DINAN, EAT, and baviarian autosport has that power programmer thing. My car was chipped when I got it- it has a Dinan sticker under the hood and the owner before me gave me Jim Conforti software paperwork. No rev limiter, no top speed limiter, etc. From what I understand the conforti guy is a BMW electrical wizard.

My Cars
    2006 AW ZHP
    I dont know why, but when I added a CAI I certainly felt a difference. Not a big one, but I'm positive I felt it. The engine could climb up the RPM range better plus I had improved throttle response. I heard ECIS was good, along with conforti but that is too much $$.

As far as chips, the Conforti Flash seems to be popular. Its cheaper than those custom chips plus you dont have to remove or ship your old ECU.

Since Im basing my opinion from owning a 98 528 (m52 motor) it might be different from the 2000 528 (m52tu motor)

My Cars
    m52 powered
    I don't doubt there may be a 5hp increase- I'm just saying it's not really worth the trouble in my opinion. Now I took my stock airbox out, and on the intake side of it there was a conical shaped "horn" inside the tube- I broke out and removed this thing and the car has that "I've got a CAI" sound to the motor now, but with no CAI worries. I learned this from the mustang guys- newer cars have a "silencer" built into the intakes to keep the execs happily chatting on cell phones with quiet motors- theres no doubt in my mind removing the restriction improves throttle response, or engine sound. It's all before the filter, so no worries there.

My Cars
    2006 AW ZHP
    Yea I think all the models have the horn. I had it removed on my car, but it made little to now difference in performance. You can always buy the cosmos intake for a cheap 75 bucks and it takes almost no time to install. I am just running the K&N cone type filter on mine fitted with Home Depot parts (directions listed on bimmertips.com) I got the filter for free, and the install time was under 5 mins and it works great.

CAI are contreversial. Many people say they didnt feel anything, while many claimed that when using the conforti intake/chip routine, the car didn't "wake up" until they installed the intake. I guess pulleys would be a better upgrade for the same/less money.

My Cars
    05 x5 4.4 06 F250 6.0PSD
    so if running a k&n stock airbox filter is bar for your car, then what about all those people getting a cai system, those are all oil based filters to my knoledege
    The e39 540i is gone, awaiting the e60 m5, till then ill drive the wifes 05 x5 4.4i

My Cars
    e39
    Quote Originally Posted by e39dream View Post
    Now I took my stock airbox out, and on the intake side of it there was a conical shaped "horn" inside the tube- I broke out and removed this thing and the car has that "I've got a CAI" sound to the motor now, but with no CAI worries.
    What does this "horn" look like? Is your car a lot louder? And any negatives to removing this horn?
    Last edited by itsmike; 09-24-2006 at 07:11 PM.

My Cars
    87 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by ashamans View Post
    so if running a k&n stock airbox filter is bar for your car, then what about all those people getting a cai system, those are all oil based filters to my knoledege
    The MAF doesn't care whether the oil or other contaminates result from a CAI with an oiled filter, an oiled filter in the OE airbox, or from contaminates passed through a "high flow filter". It can be ruined by contamination from any of those causes.

The sensor inside of an MAF is a thin-film anerometer, which is a device that measures fluid velocity by measuring the rate of convective heat loss from an electrically heated film or wire. A thin-film or hot wire anerometer is extremely sensitive to surface contamination since that affects convective loss.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    m52 powered

Lightbulb

the "horn" I removed is just that- it looks like the end of a trumpet

It's inside of the tapered area circled- I just tugged it sharply and it came out of the intake side. Be sure to check for any broken plastic inside the box afterwards if you decide to remove it. Like I said it's only purpose I can see is to muffle the intake- the real oem pic I photoshopped is called "intake muffler" on the website under fuel prep. system. It's not a huge difference in sound- idle is still whisper quiet. It just has a throatier growl when you go WOT/ hard acceleration. Similar to the sound of the cold air intakes.

My Cars
    Too Many
    Why don't you guys put the M50 manifolds on your cars like the E36 guys do. I have ridden in a 328 before and after and it makes a HUGE difference at high rpms..

My Cars
    F15, F31
    I guess because unlike 3series guys, we 5er owners don't like to rev up past 4k rpm too often, and m50 manifold actaully restricts airflow below 4k rpm.
    2015 F15 xDrive35i M-Sport, Mineral weiss on mokka Design Pure Excellence
    2015 F31 328i M-Sport, Mineral grau on black
    REFERENCES (from buying members): ///MM\\\, Dan, nicholsonsl, nicholsonsl, babygirl, e36Silvr328i, hc1001, tommelton, mish, diffsonline, betet, DMasters,icemann633, docjavier, Iron Chef, Dan, M3Jokster, e39dream, ///Manny, killcrap, verdugo135, TheRide, 318qship, hbmike, TimeOut, z0lt3c, MechEngr, Vortec4800, asdfbunk, brandon5069, hoyabob2003 (e39 mdf 6.5 speaker panels)
    SOLD! 97 E39 528iA, Alpine white on black, H&R, Hella, Alpine 9855 run active 3-way, 7" Dayton RS woofers, LPG 25NFA tweeters, Alpine typeR 12" 2005ed sub, ED NINe.1 sub amp, ED NINe.4 comp bi-amp, box 2.5cu.ft tuned to 30Hz CLICK HERE

My Cars
    2006 AW ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by kesslerbmw View Post
    Why don't you guys put the M50 manifolds on your cars like the E36 guys do. I have ridden in a 328 before and after and it makes a HUGE difference at high rpms..
    Ok, listen a**hole....
    Na jk
    But the reason for this is...the owner has a 2000 528i with the M52tu while the M50 intake manifold only fits pre-99 528i's with the M52.

That being said, I am getting one installed this month
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 12-14-2007 at 04:05 PM.

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    As a CAI owner on my previous cars, I can tell you that some of the "improvements" are just percieved, while as E39dream alluded to, you will get some (questionable how much) improvement, its likely not worth the $300 plus that Dinan wants for theirs.

In fact, one fo the things I like about my BMW is that it PULLS without screaming
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

Removing the air horn will make the car louder but it also restricts air flow.

It's a well known fact that for the same dia hole you will flow more air if the hole has a shaped horn than if no horn and just a square edge. The square edge causes turbulence in the hole which restricts air flow.

Like Oekunder said there is a precieved improvement from the sound, not an actual improvement.
    Frank
    540/6

Race/Street Rubber Z1 Star, 275/35-18 Front & Rear, Eibach Sways Front & Rear, Cut and Formed OEM Sport Springs, Bilstein Sports, Go-Go-Ware, ATE disks w/SS lines & HPS pads, UUC SS, CDV, White/Tan, Bling free and Stealthy.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    the hole is round after removing the horn, not square I'm not going to argue big hole vs. little hole- big hole flows more air.

Quote Originally Posted by e39dream View Post
    the hole is round after removing the horn, not square I'm not going to argue big hole vs. little hole- big hole flows more air.
    The edge of the hole is square, not the hole. The hole is still round.

I see you are an expert in this area.

What I said earlier is a scientific fact. You can listen and learn or choose to live in denial.

Regarding you are not going to argue, well you already are arguing.
    Last edited by franka; 09-25-2006 at 02:28 PM.
    Frank
    540/6

Race/Street Rubber Z1 Star, 275/35-18 Front & Rear, Eibach Sways Front & Rear, Cut and Formed OEM Sport Springs, Bilstein Sports, Go-Go-Ware, ATE disks w/SS lines & HPS pads, UUC SS, CDV, White/Tan, Bling free and Stealthy.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Well I have a 528i (auto), what can I do to get a little more life outta my engine, so far I have no engine mods yet, I was wondering where to start. What will give me the most bang for my buck? FI is outta the question right now. Will a chip or software work well for me being it's an auto?

Quote Originally Posted by smurfdawg View Post
    Live the Yuppie life, drive the Yuppie car, pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, but like to pose as a Yuppie? Pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, don't make the Yuppie income, but like the Yuppie car? Be quiet and learn to get your hands dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by mookish View Post
    Well I have a 528i (auto), what can I do to get a little more life outta my engine, so far I have no engine mods yet, I was wondering where to start. What will give me the most bang for my buck? FI is outta the question right now. Will a chip or software work well for me being it's an auto?
    An engine chip and a transmission chip, both will work well.
    Frank
    540/6

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by franka View Post
    An engine chip and a transmission chip, both will work well.
    Engine ADN Tranny chip? Who would be the best supplier for this and what kind of gains and/or affects am I looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by smurfdawg View Post
    Live the Yuppie life, drive the Yuppie car, pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, but like to pose as a Yuppie? Pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, don't make the Yuppie income, but like the Yuppie car? Be quiet and learn to get your hands dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by mookish View Post
    Engine ADN Tranny chip? Who would be the best supplier for this and what kind of gains and/or affects am I looking at?
    \

Yes 2. The engine is one and the transmission is a separate one.

Dinan and Conforti though I'm not sure if Conforti makes a transmission one.

Some of your I6 compatriots will join in here soon with more details and recommendations.
    Frank
    540/6

[QUOTE=franka;7524975]Removing the air horn will make the car louder but it also restricts air flow. It's a well known fact that for the same dia hole you will flow more air if the hole has a shaped horn than if no horn and just a square edge. The square sharp edge causes turbulence in the hole which restricts air flow. QUOTE]

If there is room to increase the hole diameter by 50 %, that would allow more air thru and offset the loss of flow that occurs when the shaped horn is removed.

For example, if the hole was 2" in diameter a 50 % enlargement would make the hole 3" in diameter.

If there wasn't enough room on one side of the hole you could cut the existing hole larger on the other sides so that the area of the hole is increased significantly. Rounding the corners of an irregularily shaped hole would help flow. Sanding the edge(s) of the hole to remove the sharp edge would also improve flow. It seems like such a small detail is not important but it is.
    Frank
    540/6

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast