Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My ESS TS2+ w/ FI cams install

My Cars
    E46 E83 E30

My ESS TS2+ w/ FI cams install

Ok, it started out with me dropping the car off at the dealer to get the Schrick FI cams installed. This was March 13th. Then they call me back to tell me that the exhaust cam was damaged. There was a piece of metal that wasn't ground off in the finishing process. This metal was coming in contact with the bearing ledge. So the cam had to be sent back to Schrick. Two weeks later, March 27th, my car is done.

I immediately drive my car to my shop and rip out the DME to ship to ESS. Then a co-worker and I install the front mount cooler behind the bumper and the water pump for that cooler. Sorry, no pics of this because I forgot my camera...

That was Day 1.

Here's Day 2:
    Car's in the bay ready for surgery.

Disconnected intake and fuel rail wiring.

Fuel rail disconnected and power steering reservoir installed.

Intake manifold disconnected. (this was a pain, you have to remove the DISA valve and throttle body first to get at a 16mm nut underneath the manifold that connects it to the block)

My Cars
    E46 E83 E30
    Now here's where I started to mess things up...

Stock manifold removed and ready to tape up wiring harness. (I went ahead and taped up the wires just how they laid in the original plastic box. Big NO NO... You'll see later...)

I had parts layed out all over my shop, on my desk, in my locker, and in my spare car...

Ok, ready for the Twin Screw supercharger... Right?

Supercharger's in and torqued down. Remeber those wires I taped all up?

Well, when I taped up all those wires how they originally laid, the lengths of the individual harnesses were too short. The ICV harness was pulled too tight and the throttle body harness was about 4 inches too short. Sooooo..... I got pissed and called it a night. Went to the store and got a 6-pack and finished it off at home.

Day 3.

Out with the supercharger.

While pulling it out, the gasket got hosed. Co-worker went to the back to start making me a new gasket.

Finally got smart and enlisted the help of a cherry picker to do the heavy lifting. Up to this point, we've been man handling the supercharger...
    Last edited by Dirtboy; 04-06-2007 at 09:18 AM.

My Cars
    E46 E83 E30
    Here's how you should tape up the wires. Each connection should be taped up separately.

While I was at it, I lengthened the connections on the fuel rail harness. One is an air intake temperature sensor and the other is some other sensor.

With all that taken care of, supercharger goes back in and all the connections fit.

I go to intall the stock air box and this is what I find.

I would have to wait till the next day to trim that up.

My Cars
    E46 E83 E30
    Day 4

This day was just about trimming up the intake and making final connections. Those were the coolant lines running to the manifold and the PCV line.

And here's the final product.

Now I just have to wait for the DME to show up from ESS and start this baby up. It's Easter weekend right now so I will probably have to wait till some time next week for it to show up.

All these days (with the exception Day 2) I've been working have been after work for about 4pm till 8-9pm. Day 2 I worked for 8 hours. I hope all this work and pain (I have cuts and scars on my hands and arms now) was worth it.

My Cars
    Nike's
    wow very nice. your car looks amazing.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Julz69 View Post
    wow very nice. your car looks amazing.
    +1. What did the Ess kit cost you?
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    99 M3, 13 650 Gran Coupe
    Great looking kit in a great looking car

Give us some more details on this kit please!

Wait I think it's this kit, no? http://www.esstuning.com/default.asp...at2=114&id=246
    Last edited by agu845; 04-06-2007 at 11:32 AM.

'99 Hellrot M3 vert; Eurosport twin-screw SC w/ 76mm pulley + Schrick cam (i.e., TRM Stage 2 TS), UDP's,
    oil cooler; GC coilovers; Z3 steering rack; Euro 6-spd trans; Diffsonline 3.46 LSD

My Cars
    E46 E83 E30
    Thanks.

Yup, that's the kit. But I got the TS2+, which bumps up the psi to 8.5 and tunes it with FI cams. This is the kit you get if you have headers.

My Cars
    99 M3, 13 650 Gran Coupe
    Be sure to report back once you have her running.

Have fun, and be careful with cops, you are gonna be tempted to fly.....

'99 Hellrot M3 vert; Eurosport twin-screw SC w/ 76mm pulley + Schrick cam (i.e., TRM Stage 2 TS), UDP's,
    oil cooler; GC coilovers; Z3 steering rack; Euro 6-spd trans; Diffsonline 3.46 LSD

My Cars
    E46 E83 E30
    Quote Originally Posted by agu845 View Post
    Be sure to report back once you have her running.

Have fun, and be careful with cops, you are gonna be tempted to fly.....

Yup, I'll do a sort-of trip report when I get back from the Ring. Don't have to worry too much about cops over here. Speed cameras are another story though....

My Cars
    E46 E83 E30
    FINALLY!!!

My DME showed up today around 5pm and I got it installed. Started the car up, no probs what-so-ever. Took her for a little drive and...

HOLY SH!T!!!!!

First gear is pretty much useless, and I've got the 2.93 rear end... I tried my hardest not to floor the thing through all the gears, I was kinda successful with that...

I ended up driving about 50 miles today on mixed roads. I kept the speed below 100 on the autobahn (I was doing 97-99mph ). Hit the twisties in some of the small villages around here. The thing pulls like there's no tomorrow... Slipping tires 1st through 3rd gears... I KNOW I'm gonna need a LSD and a new clutch soon.

Tomorrow I'm gonna get the rest of the break in miles done and then Sunday it's off to the Nürburgring. I'll try to come up with some sort of trip report for that... And then Monday, back up to the Nürburgring! I love living in Germany!

My Cars
    '01 Mcoupe / '16 Golf R
    Wieso sprechen sie so gut English

I envy you, I am always debating moving to ''die Heimat''.

Nice to see your car complete and running! Looks to be a fantastic all around car! How much more than than the stock ts2's 305whp do you estimate to be putting down?

My Cars
    E46 E83 E30
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneller Bayer View Post
    Wieso sprechen sie so gut English

I envy you, I am always debating moving to ''die Heimat''.

Nice to see your car complete and running! Looks to be a fantastic all around car! How much more than than the stock ts2's 305whp do you estimate to be putting down?
    ESS claims 365whp from the same engine on their site:

...oh, and I speak good english cuz I'm American... ...but I guess I should learn German...
    ... cuz my wife's German ....

My Cars
    E36/5 ///M & Turbo 325
    shoudnt the power - torque cross at 5252rpm?
    OBD1 ECU TUNER

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by dredder View Post
    shoudnt the power - torque cross at 5252rpm?
    Yeah it should but again the graph isn't set up to be square. Notice that the Hp range is different then the Tq. range.

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Yeah it should but again the graph isn't set up to be square. Notice that the Hp range is different then the Tq. range.
    Are you sure? It seems to me that the graph goes from 0-500tq/hp.

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    Are you sure? It seems to me that the graph goes from 0-500tq/hp.
    TQ is in Newton Meters not Ft pounds, i think this is why its messed up looking. (thats why it looks like 500 tq when its really not that much, i dont know the conversion factor...)
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    E46 E83 E30
    450 N-M = 332 ft-lb so on this graph this engine has 328.27 ft-lbs of torque to the wheels...

My Cars
    E46 M3 2003 Alpine White
    Awesome write up.

Thats a sick amount of power!! On the long straight of the ring, let us know what MPH you get up to .. or should I say kilometer per hour.
    "After all these years I see that I was mistaken about Eve in the beginning; it is better to live outside the Garden with her than inside it without her." -Mark Twain

E46 M3 Alpine White
    OEM CSL Wheels
    Wish I had a Z8

My Cars
    E46 E83 E30
    Quote Originally Posted by 274 View Post
    Awesome write up.

Thats a sick amount of power!! On the long straight of the ring, let us know what MPH you get up to .. or should I say kilometer per hour.
    I actually get faster on the autobahn. On the Ring I'm usually only about 110-120mph in the fast sections. On the autobahn, I bury the needle... My speedo only goes up to 155mph and the needle goes past that...

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    Anybody whos interested in comparing these dyno numbers to their own, be sure and note that the posted numbers here are modified by a DIN correction factor. On several runs I checked, DIN correction often produces Higher results than even No correction at all, let alone the more austere SAE correction factor that is the defacto standard.
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    E46 E83 E30
    Back from the Ring...

No problems with the TS at all. The power sterring reservoir spit out alot of fluid all over the engine, but it did that before. My son came up with an easy fix. I'll post pics of that when I get the parts.

Driving with the TS is like driving a whole new car. I was able to keep up with the CSL's and some Porsche's (until the corners ). I used to have to down-shift to 2nd to make up the hill at Exmühle, but now I can just floor it. For some reason, DSC hasn't been kicking in as much like it used to. And the sound at 5000-6000 rpm...

The only thing slowing my car down now is me. I know my car can go faster than I can drive it...

Coming back home on the autobahn I was hanging with a 911 turbo for a bit and had a 540 trying to keep up with me. The car can get up to 140+ mph so easy now. I love this thing!

Sorry no vids and lap times. Video on the Nürburgring is not allowed (although I know someone personally who did it ). Plus, I don't have a video camera... yet... And I don't time my laps on the Ring. It's too distracting to have to worry about how fast you're going. You can read a good opinion on lap timing at the Ring here: http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/laptimes.html

My Cars
    t67 328is - KIA
    very nice! looks like a great kit! are these available in the states?
    M52 Power! 500whp?, ? ft/lbs
    Mods:8.5:1 CP pistons, Eagle rods, S52 cams, M50 intake manifold, Eurosport High Performance underdrive pullies, 3.23 lsd, ZKW's w. DDE, BBS RC's 18x8.5, Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sport springs, Eibach sway bars, BMW Motorsports x-brace, pwr 57mm rad, stewart high performance water pump, 6000k prolumen hid's, m tech kit

custom turbo: sias tuning tec3, t67 ho, spa turbo manifold, 24x12x3 ebay intercooler, 750 cc low impedence injectors, arp head studs, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, hks ezII evc, tial 50mm bov, tial 40mm wastegate, plx m250 wideband o2, cartech motor mount, turbowerx oil scavenge pump, spa gauges

My Cars
    E46 E83 E30
    Quote Originally Posted by byron View Post
    very nice! looks like a great kit! are these available in the states?
    Yes, there are a few people in the states who have this setup.

Just check out esstuning.com

by the way, my car's U.S. spec too...

My Cars
    '01 Mcoupe / '16 Golf R
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
    I actually get faster on the autobahn. On the Ring I'm usually only about 110-120mph in the fast sections. On the autobahn, I bury the needle... My speedo only goes up to 155mph and the needle goes past that...
    I'm sure that a car with power like yours could hit 140mph on the döttinger höhe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast