Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Replacing sliders and greasing front door tracks

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 76 Trium
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBenz View Post
    i need to do this. my passenger window is sl ow. it stops in the middle

-OG
    This procedure will definitely fix that. My windows started out getting slow and eratic and finally got so bad that they would just slowly go down an inch or so and then stop altogether. Now they work great. One of my sliders had gotten so bad that one side of it was worn away. Funny thing was the dealer wanted to replace motors and everything. I can't imagine what that would have cost. All it needs is the little plastic sliders and some lube.
    Greg H
    1999 BMW Z3 M Coupe
    1993 Porsche 911 RS America
    1996 Spec Miata race car
    1976 Triumph TR6
    2001 Ford F250 crew cab 4x4 7.3L diesel (support vehicle)

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 76 Trium
    Quote Originally Posted by JT///M3 View Post
    did anyone have issues getting the window to align nicely?
    No issues here. Didn't even require any extra adjustment or alignment. I just put it back together exactly as it came apart and everything is watertight and the window goes up exactly to where it should. Only problem I had was scratching the window tint...
    Greg H
    1999 BMW Z3 M Coupe
    1993 Porsche 911 RS America
    1996 Spec Miata race car
    1976 Triumph TR6
    2001 Ford F250 crew cab 4x4 7.3L diesel (support vehicle)

My Cars
    '08 E90 M3
    One thing that I discovered over time, is that if you don't put your outer door seal on, the one you kind of have to beat in, correctly leaving enough room on the door strike side, it will eventually split your weather stripping that is attached at the jamb (can you say run-on sentence).

In other words, use the paper trick on the window to test seal, then use paper trick on the door seal where it meets the striker side of the jamb (towards the back) and make sure your rubber doesn't rub.
    Craig Brickner
    Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
    BMW CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor

2008 M3 Sedan Jerez/Black

My Cars
    2008 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    One thing that I discovered over time, is that if you don't put your outer door seal on, the one you kind of have to beat in, correctly leaving enough room on the door strike side, it will eventually split your weather stripping that is attached at the jamb (can you say run-on sentence).

In other words, use the paper trick on the window to test seal, then use paper trick on the door seal where it meets the striker side of the jamb (towards the back) and make sure your rubber doesn't rub.
    can you elaborate on this "paper" trick?
    '08 M5 Sepang Bronze/Portland - Modded-
    '11 328i M Sport Le Manns Blue/Oyster - wifeymobile
    '02 525i Touring Alpine White/Sand - Getting modded
    '06 Mini Cooper JCW GP#1281 - SOLD
    '10 MiniCooper S Laurel Sport Edition 1/100 - SOLD
    '99 M Coupe Laguna Seca Blue/Black - highly modded SOLD
    '04 4.8is X5 Estoril/Black Alcantara - modded SOLD
    '01 740i Shorty Sport - TiAg/Blk - SOLD
    '98 M3/2 Cosmos - Modded SOLD
    '97 M3/4 Alpine - stock SOLD

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Yes please elaborate a bit on that paper trick cause I have no idea what you're talking about. LOL
    -Joe

My Cars
    '08 E90 M3
    Sure, so grab a sheet of paper and close your door/windows on the sheet of paper. Sliding or not sliding the paper around will show you where you are tight and where you need to adjust. Use this same method when adjusting your door strike, or the above mentioned seal that will tear....see pic for location
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Craig Brickner

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Did my passenger side window this evening...what a PITA! It works much better now though. Thanks to the OP and everyone else who provided some info in this thread.
    -Joe

My Cars
    BMW Z3 2.8
    BUMP....need to keep this near the top of the forum.....have to do it this weekend

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    Getting ready to jump in to this job, car warming up to ambient now.....
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    Done @ 3pm, got started about 12:30. Very straight forward- no problems at all.

Windows feel like 1996 again!!
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    2013 328 M Sport Coupe

Thumbs up

Definitely next on my project ToDo list (wish it was shorter). Thank you for the write up!

My Cars
    MY 00 Z3 2.8l
    Just a FYI bavauto has the sliders (51 32 1 938 884) for 2.95 each, I just ordered 4 to do both doors for a total of $17.75 shipped.

My Cars
    Z4MR
    Is removing the fixed glass necessary to do this? (sorry if this was already answered)

Great write up as well.
    Z4MR ll VF570 470whp 344wtq ll AA headers
    RE X-pipe ll Stromung ll APEX ARC-8 on PSS
    Stoptech 6pot Fr ll H&R coilovers ll APEX stud kit
    Aero skirts ll Passport SRX

My Cars
    '00 ///M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by bostongreen328i View Post
    Is removing the fixed glass necessary to do this? (sorry if this was already answered)
    Yes, because you need to be able to 'slide' the tracks that are on the window glass over/onto the plastic sliders (which are attached to the arms of the window ascent/descent assembly). If the fixed glass is left in place, then there is no room to maneuver the window glass around to attach or remove it.

I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

My Cars
    Z4MR
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Yes, because you need to be able to 'slide' the tracks that are on the window glass over/onto the plastic sliders (which are attached to the arms of the window ascent/descent assembly). If the fixed glass is left in place, then there is no room to maneuver the window glass around to attach or remove it.
    Just replaced the sliders without having to touch any of the glass. Just pop the ball ends out of the sliders (with a screw driver) after removing the clip (also with a screw driver) and push the slider out of the track with your finger. Then do the reverse with the new ones using pliers to push the ball ends back into the new sliders.

My Cars
    2008 M5
    Just replaced the sliders without having to touch any of the glass. Just pop the ball ends out of the sliders (with a screw driver) after removing the clip (also with a screw driver) and push the slider out of the track with your finger. Then do the reverse with the new ones using pliers to push the ball ends back into the new sliders.
    Ok, please illustrate or use video to demonstrate this. I'd like to try it this way!
    '08 M5 Sepang Bronze/Portland - Modded-
    '11 328i M Sport Le Manns Blue/Oyster - wifeymobile
    '02 525i Touring Alpine White/Sand - Getting modded
    '06 Mini Cooper JCW GP#1281 - SOLD
    '10 MiniCooper S Laurel Sport Edition 1/100 - SOLD
    '99 M Coupe Laguna Seca Blue/Black - highly modded SOLD
    '04 4.8is X5 Estoril/Black Alcantara - modded SOLD
    '01 740i Shorty Sport - TiAg/Blk - SOLD
    '98 M3/2 Cosmos - Modded SOLD
    '97 M3/4 Alpine - stock SOLD

My Cars
    Z4MR
    Quote Originally Posted by JT///M3 View Post
    Ok, please illustrate or use video to demonstrate this. I'd like to try it this way!
    Don't think I can illustrate it very well, so I'll just be more descriptive. Once you have the door panel off; raise the window till the sliders are toward the top of the opening in the door. Get a flat head screw driver and pry off the clips on the sliders. Then get a larger flat head screw driver and place it between the slider track and the regulator arm and pry the ball end out of the slider. While still holding pressure to keep the ball end out of the slider; push the slider out of the way and relieve pressure on the arm and track (take the screw driver out). Now you can push the slider the rest of the way out of the track with your finger.

Then lube up the track and place the new slider in one end. Use your screw driver to pry apart the arm and track again and push the new slider under the ball end to where it rests in the hole. Now press the ball end into the slider with some pliers and replace the clip.

Let me know if you need more detail on anything.

My Cars
    '08 E90 M3
    A key to getting this to make an improvement is cleaning all the old junk out of the track and re-lubing it. It's hard to do if you don't take it apart.
    Craig Brickner

My Cars
    '00 ///M Roadster
    Okay, yeah, that would have been easier than what I went through...

Then again, there was a lot of rather nasty junk that I ended up cleaning out... so I guess that I don't feel so bad about it.

I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

My Cars
    1996 BMW Z3
    Don't think I can illustrate it very well, so I'll just be more descriptive. Once you have the door panel off; raise the window till the sliders are toward the top of the opening in the door. Get a flat head screw driver and pry off the clips on the sliders. Then get a larger flat head screw driver and place it between the slider track and the regulator arm and pry the ball end out of the slider. While still holding pressure to keep the ball end out of the slider; push the slider out of the way and relieve pressure on the arm and track (take the screw driver out). Now you can push the slider the rest of the way out of the track with your finger.

Then lube up the track and place the new slider in one end. Use your screw driver to pry apart the arm and track again and push the new slider under the ball end to where it rests in the hole. Now press the ball end into the slider with some pliers and replace the clip.

Let me know if you need more detail on anything.
    I did my "new to me" '96 roady this past weekend using this quick method (not pulling the whole window mech out). I was able to clean the slide rails with brake cleaner, q-tips and a rag very well. I then dipped the new sliders in the lithium grease and packed them good. Windows now work great!

Now for the next project to restore the little beast.... replace "slightly" bent rear sub-frame (rear has 2 degrees toe OUT)! Just gotta find one at a fair price!

My Cars
    01 M Roadster. 98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsauls View Post
    Now for the next project to restore the little beast.... replace "slightly" bent rear sub-frame (rear has 2 degrees toe OUT)! Just gotta find one at a fair price!
    Sorry for the OT digression, but.....

You ought to be able to justify fixing that bent subframe quick based on tire wear alone. That and the substantially increased risk of an unplanned oversteer spin.

You also probably need to replace one or both trailing arms.

Any subframe or trailing arm that you buy used is likely to be bent (you'll also need new wheel bearings to go with the trailing arms). This isn't a cheap repair, but it's important. And you can do the IE subframe bushings at the same time (and the AKG eccentric camber/toe adjustors or the IE weld-in camber/toe adjusters).

Do you know how it got so bent? If so, it might be claimable on your insurance.
    phrider
    2001 Titanium Silver M Roadster with hardtop
    1998 Titanium Silver E36 M3 Coupe
    Former cars: Saab 900 Turbo, Rabbit, 1967 Chevy II, 1951 Packard Ultramatic Coupe (0-60 in under 0.3 minutes)

My Cars
    1996 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by phrider View Post
    Sorry for the OT digression, but.....

You ought to be able to justify fixing that bent subframe quick based on tire wear alone. That and the substantially increased risk of an unplanned oversteer spin.

You also probably need to replace one or both trailing arms.

Any subframe or trailing arm that you buy used is likely to be bent (you'll also need new wheel bearings to go with the trailing arms). This isn't a cheap repair, but it's important. And you can do the IE subframe bushings at the same time (and the AKG eccentric camber/toe adjustors or the IE weld-in camber/toe adjusters).

Do you know how it got so bent? If so, it might be claimable on your insurance.
    Bought the car that way last month (couldn't pass up a "deal"0. Right trailing arm, half-shaft, rta bushings and right wheel bearing was replaced with new items by a body shop through the previous owner.

When I did a close inspection I could see the left trailing arm bracket on the sub-frame connecting to the right trailing arm raised up about 1/4" and slightly bent. Right trailing arm is new and in great shape and should fit nicely on a "straighter" sub-frame. The body shop just didn't do a full repair and replace the sub-frame too. I do realize that "many" used sub-frames may be bent and as such junk. With that in mind, any "new" sub-frame that I get will have the IE weld-in kit installed.

My Cars
    01 M Roadster. 98 M3
    Congrats on the deal. Best of luck on the parts hunt.
    phrider
    2001 Titanium Silver M Roadster with hardtop
    1998 Titanium Silver E36 M3 Coupe
    Former cars: Saab 900 Turbo, Rabbit, 1967 Chevy II, 1951 Packard Ultramatic Coupe (0-60 in under 0.3 minutes)

My Cars
    '08 E90 M3
    Here's my story: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1#post13743841

Funny ending...my bent subframe ended up in another Mcoupe with a bent trailing arm (toe-in)...they were a good match for each other.
    Craig Brickner

My Cars
    1996 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    Funny ending...my bent subframe ended up in another Mcoupe with a bent trailing arm (toe-in)...they were a good match for each other.
    I got a little divot in the heat shield just like in your picture... same side too!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast