Thread: Anyone over changed out a wiper switch?

My Cars
    1999 540i/6, 2000 Expedition (Loud and Proud)

Anyone over changed out a wiper switch?

I have to replace the one in the steering column as the wipers will not shut off. I have already replaced the relay so that is not it. Right now operation is controlled by pulling the fuse . How much of a pain is it to replace the switch? I know it is not too hard to get the lower half of the steering column off but what else is involved? How much time? My indy wants to charge $130 in labor which tells me about 1 hour...
    99 540i/6 - 18" Breyton Visions, LED tail lights, Hella Euro Angel Eyes, ATE Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, K&N filter, CDV-delete, ZHP Weighted Shift. Making life in traffic a little easier...

My Cars
    87 325is
    It is easy to replace once the covers are off since the switch just slides in/out.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    How hard is it to take the top cover off?
    99 540i/6 - 18" Breyton Visions, LED tail lights, Hella Euro Angel Eyes, ATE Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, K&N filter, CDV-delete, ZHP Weighted Shift. Making life in traffic a little easier...

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325is
    did the switch fix your problem?

My Cars
    Haven't installed it yet - I ordered the wrong one. My car was manuf in 1/99. The switch changed after 3/99. I ordered the latter one like a moron.

My Cars
    98' BMW 528i
    i know it has been long time since the thread was last accessed....but i am facing the similar situation.

Anybody know where i can get DIY for wiper switch.....

Please guide me...am frustrated w/ my wipers not shutting offf

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by gameover View Post
    i know it has been long time since the thread was last accessed....but i am facing the similar situation.

Anybody know where i can get DIY for wiper switch.....

Please guide me...am frustrated w/ my wipers not shutting offf
    I haven't had to do this...but just looking at the diagram and having removed the upper and lower clam shells of the steering column...it doesn't look like it would be too hard of a job. At the very least, remove the clam shells and see how hard it would be to access the wiper switch.

Have you pulled up the diagram for the wiper switch to see how it connects or what surrounds it in the steering column? Here's the diagram from www.realoem.com (see item #2)...the diagram doesn't show any hardware...so perhaps the switch is held in by some type of clips and compression?

The clam shells are only held on by one screw for each half (see the pics below)...once the screws are removed...just give the clam shells a squeeze where the two halves meet and pull them away from the steering column...this will expose the area around the switch. If you need to completely remove the clam shells...there are approx 4 to 6 clips (#22 in diagram of steering column) that connect the shells (#19 & #20 in steering column diagram) to the vinyl expanding filler between the clam shells and the opening in the dash

Good luck...or you can go ahead a pay someone $130 for something sort of simple to check out.

phillips screw on top half of clamshell:

phillips screw location on bottom half of clamshell is up inside a small recessed indentation: (the screw & anchor has already been removed)
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-05-2009 at 02:41 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    E46
    Did any one complete this experiment? Did changing the wiper switch in the steering column fix the problem?

My Cars
    2000 323i

Anyone ever changed out a wiper switch?

Hello just an FYI about the switch itself it is not as simple as it looks after just taking off the upper and lower covers off the steering column. Once those covers are off there are 2 Torx screws that are holding this thing in there and then there are to clips that must be pressed simultaneously to slide the actual switch out and replace it, NOW here is the really fun part to get to those torx screws you will either have to Scenerio 1 A. Remove the airbag B. Remove the steering wheel C under no circumstance twist or turn the actual stalk part (the part in the center of the steering wheel as per TIS) D. Disconnect the wiring connectors to this thing on the lower part of the "Clamshell" E. Remove 2 Torx 30 screws F. Press both locking tabs simultaneously and then slide off the switch. (all TIS instructions and preliminary tasks sorrry don't hate the messenger). OR YOU CAN TAKE OFF THE "CLAMSHELLS" BOTH LOWER AND UPPER PUT YOUR KEY IN THE IGNITION START THE CAR AND MOVE THE STEERING WHEEL 180 DEG. TO THE LEFT AND SEE IF YOU CAN GET THE T30 SCREWS OUT AND DISCONNECT ALL THE WIRING AND THEN SLIDE IT OFF THE "FIXTURE FOR THE STEERING WHEEL STALK" GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT.

My Cars
    '99 BMW 528i

Question replacing wiper control stalk

I have to also replace the wiper control stalk ('99 528i).
    I was able to separate the upper & lower covers as well as removing both (2) #30 Torx screws & the wire connector plug.
    That's where I remain.
    Can't seem to remove or get further in removing the control unit or even accessing the clips on the side.
    Am I missing something here??
    There are 2 'tiny' (nickel/silver colored) torx screws (unknown what size) that are located to the outside of the top #30 T. screw & to the top of the bottom #30 T. screw.
    Do they also have to removed, if so what size Torx are they?

My Cars
    2000 Z3; 1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by bbones View Post
    I have to also replace the wiper control stalk ('99 528i).
    I was able to separate the upper & lower covers as well as removing both (2) #30 Torx screws & the wire connector plug.
    That's where I remain.
    Can't seem to remove or get further in removing the control unit or even accessing the clips on the side.
    Am I missing something here??
    There are 2 'tiny' (nickel/silver colored) torx screws (unknown what size) that are located to the outside of the top #30 T. screw & to the top of the bottom #30 T. screw.
    Do they also have to removed, if so what size Torx are they?
    Take pics!
    Hello. I like you.

My Cars
    '99 BMW 528i
    Here's where I'm at at this point.

Picture didn't download. So much for photobucket.com
    Try this link, http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/1597/flfd88/
    Last edited by bbones; 12-29-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost