Thread: What is a SALVAGE 2001 M coupe Worth?

My Cars
    2001 BMW M Coupe

What is a SALVAGE 2001 M coupe Worth?

I've owned this car for 4 1/2 years and love it, but i'm thinking about selling it and getting a mountain toy. The car has nothing wrong with it mechanically but has it's fair share of rock chips. I was thinking I would go to about $16000 but at that price I may just keep it and drive it everyday. What does everyone think?

http://denver.craigslist.org/car/292228644.html
    2001 BMW M coupe Steel Grey

My Cars
    N/A
    It's unfortunate that it has a salvaged title. That is one beautiful color combo.

My Cars
    '00 M Coupe
    Really depends on what earned it its title.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M Coupe
    The story I got from the 1st owner is that it was in a front end accident and he some how worked out a deal with the dealership he bought the car from, that if they totalled it he would buy the same car new from them. They totalled it and he bought a brand new 2002 M coupe in the same color combo.
    I think I may just have to own the car forever, which isn't a bad thing.

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee
    for bikes i think it was a third the market value. why is it salvaged?
    google-black.blogspot.com kenvsryu.tumblr.comsonyalphanex.blogspot.com

Spence:You ever kill anyone? Sam:No, but I did hurt somebody's feelings once.
    join the Bimmerforums Chat: http://youtube.com/stream?s=235077632

My Cars
    N/A
    I think you should keep it.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos///m View Post
    I think you should keep it.
    I think your probably right. I know the car is fine but it may not be worth trying to convince someone else.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0
    Dustan,

In many markets a salvage is worth 1/2 of book value. Pretty messed up, but that's the breaks. The good news is you can get a great deals on salvage cars. The bad news is when you want to sell one. Depending on your local market you may be able to get more $. I'd keep it.

A friend of my brother buys salvaged Miatas and converts then to track cars. He makes good money at it too. Maybe someone would be intested in your car as a racer - especially if it has a few dings and chips. You never know...
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    M Coupe, M3/4/5, E30
    Don't sell it yet. We have to go for a rally up Left Hand Canyon when I get mine out here. Should be in the state by next week. I've been counting the minutes!
    Cloudbase aka Alex
    Life on the Lee-Side BLOG, Hang Gliding YouTube Channel

My Cars
    368-90-82
    If I could find someone to buy mine for what I want out of it I'd buy yours in a second and just make it into a track car. My brother is looking for an M Coupe as well though, can you email me some better pictureS?
    Current:
    2001 TiAg M Coupe
    2014 Alpine 328xi
    2015 Alpine 228xi M sport
    Past:
    2010 Alpine 135i M sport
    2009 JB 328i Sedan
    2007 JB Z4 3.0i Roadster
    1999 Imola M Coupe
    1991 Helrot 325is
    1989 Helrot 325i

Keep it, or hold out for someone that want to pay your asking price. There are buyers for salvage cars, especially rare ones and you can get much more than the 1/2 price like some suggested.

BTW I sold my salvage title 5 speed lexus sc300 for blue book

My Cars
    E368 S54
    I emailed you. Some more pics please.

My Cars
    99's: M Coupe & M3C
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustan View Post
    I was thinking I would go to about $16000 but at that price I may just keep it and drive it everyday. What does everyone think?
    A salvage titled '99 (S52 motor) just sold on eBay for $14,5, I don't think even your starting price is out of touch with reality.

If you're really curious, list it on eBay and see where bidding goes. You can always end the listing early because <cough> the car is no longer available if you decide you don't like how the market values it, but my suspicion is that you might be surprised.

Christian

My Cars
    15' M3, 15' i8
    ill buy it if someone wants to buy my car.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0
    96cosmosM3,

Good for you Hey, if you have a good car and a buyer is willing to pay your asking price, then kudos. Some buyers recognize the intrinsic value of the car and not just that it is a salvage. This is more so with collector cars, but I am still on the fence about calling an M Z3 a collector. Collectable though? Absolutely.

I consider a "good" salvage car is a stripped one brought back to life. Some enterprising people buy a number of "cheap" wrecks and stripped cars. All of them are salvage, but the sum total of the parts can equal a solid good car. The resulting car is fine, but still has that nasty salvage moniker. These are great deals for people that want a cool car for less than the going rate.

Cars that have front or rear end clips put on correctly can be great deals, but I wouldn't pay an "unmolested" price for one.

Some cars that would have normally been deamed salvage get spared because they are exotic or really high priced. I know a guy that nearly totaled a 360 Ferrari. The insurace wanted to salvage it but he fought them tooth and nail to get it repaired. The only reason it wasn't salvaged is because the car costs so much and it was really new at the time. It replacement was almost the cost of the repair. If the same damage happend to a new Mustang, even a Saleen, it would be at the junk yard.
    Steve
    '02 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    Roller Blades
    Dustan,

Were you around Lyons yesterday? If so, I was in a Silver waving at you.

My Cars
    '05 GTO
    Since it's a rare car with low miles, I say stick with that price for awhile. I don't think it's too outrageous. If I was in the market for a coupe, I'd want to have a look.

My Cars
    '00 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jbbrown9 View Post
    Since it's a rare car with low miles, I say stick with that price for awhile. I don't think it's too outrageous. If I was in the market for a coupe, I'd want to have a look.
    agreed.

My Cars
    M Coupe, M3/4/5, E30
    I would have seriously considered it when I was looking. Great color combo, low miles, close by.
    Cloudbase aka Alex
    Life on the Lee-Side BLOG, Hang Gliding YouTube Channel

My Cars
    01 M Coupe, 11 E90 M3
    That's a decent price. I would have probably bought it at that price if everything was fixed properly. Alas I got a black on black one. I really want the red and black interior as that is the color I had when I had my m roadster... Good luck with the sale
    01 BMW M Coupe
    20 Porsche Macan Turbo
    11 BMW M3
    18 Porsche GT3
    16 Porsche GT4 *sold*
    98 BMW M roadster *sold*
    11 BMW M3 *RIP*

My Cars
    M3
    beautiful car. the thing about salvaged is that if you buy one you better make sure that you are getting a great deal because they are not easy to sell. this is because you can't trade them in and it can be hard to get a loan. but i did it an never regreted it. it is my e36 m3 forever and that is fine with me.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe (SOLD), 91' E30, 07' Silverado
    Great price, but selling a Coupe in Colorado isn't easy...

I tried picking-up a salvaged car and my insurance told me to look else where to insure the car.

Good luck with the sale if you decide to let it go. If not, lets go hit Left Hand Canyon with Cloudbase.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M Coupe
    I had a loan on the car when I first bought it and have never had a problem insuring it.

My Cars
    Z3
    whats the history...how did it become salvage title?

My Cars
    01 Z3 2.5, 06 Taco
    I suppose you could always offer to pay for a vehicle inspection.

Slightly off-topic... but anyone know the diff between a 'salvage' title and a 'rebuilt' title? I suppose it may vary from State to State, and perhaps they are the same.

JWhite
    All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident....Arthur Schopenhauer

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. ...Carl Sagan

Tide goes in, tide goes out, you can't explain it... Bill O'Reilly

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/