Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: E30 Turbo Build Progress

E30 Turbo Build Progress

Our little garage team has been working on a turbo build of our own. I'm glad we're only looking at DM and NASA GTS as we'd have been crushed to see what Jon Holder and the Evosport team are deploying. I don't think we'll be ready for Cal Speedway, but we will be at the track at least one day to say "Hello" and check out the cars.

Here are some pics. We did a Coil on Plug conversion and you can see that we also have a crack build team of our own.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    That looks great!!!

And could you post more info about the turbo, manifold, and coil on plug swap if you can.

Thanks and can't wait to see it running.

My Cars
    all
    is the engine an m42?

My Cars
    '99 M3/'93 LMR-3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj View Post
    is the engine an m42?
    Sure looks like it... only with a big, snail-shaped tumor on top.

My Cars
    2011 E91
    SOOO COOOL!!

Love it! Thanks for the pictures!! I love your "crack team" - he looks like he's gonna be trouble when he gets a little older - "hey, can I borrow the keys to the turbo racecar??"

Awesome job!
    Jon
    CURRENT:
    2011 E91 328i - Valentine One - LED Interior - Eibach Coilovers - Vossen Wheels
    SOLD:
    1989 E30 J-Stock
    1995 E36 C-Mod
    2003 E46 B-Mod
    1990 E30 325is - Red on Black
    1998 E36 M3 Convertible - Silver on Black
    2000 E39 540i Sport - Black on Black
    2005 325iT - Blue on Tan - 6sp - Koni's - Eibach - Valentine One - 3.64 LSD
    2006 E90 330i - Silver on Black
    2014 535i - Space Grey on Black - H&R - Valentine One

My Cars
    '03 330Ci, '06 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanL View Post
    Sure looks like it... only with a big, snail-shaped tumor on top.
    [ Ahnold Voice ] It's naaaht a tu-mah~~ [ / Ahnold Voice ]

'03 330Ci DHP, '06 M3 SMG
    "du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"

Thanks for all the kind words. Some of the info is the "secret sauce" but you can tell it's a Garrett GT on what started as an M42. The manifold is by Jon at http://www.666fabrication.com/

The Coil on Plug conversion uses M54 coils along with a custom mounting plate we had machined. You have to trim one of the coils but the kit has come together nicely. We went this way for 2 reasons; the turbo need to be where the coil packs were, and we got the motor without coils so it was cheaper than buying new coils and spark plug wires.

The car no longer has a key so I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

This motor would be a nice addition to an E36, but we've got the E30 chassis with a great Evosport cage so we'll run what we brung.

We've touched all the other systems in the car including adding an oil cooler, upgraded fuel pump and replacing the ECU. It's going to need brakes before we're done (you suppose?) and the end is in sight but seeing as how there is still the day job thing it's tough to get it all ready. Aside from some delays at the machine shop it's coming along.

A dry sump, improved head, and custom intake plenum are version 2.0.

My Cars
    E36
    some nice builds going on right now
    I miss her, back in a BMW for the time being

My Cars
    cars
    Cool.

Whats your plan for suspension/tires?

My Cars
    1986 Mercedes 190E 16V
    It's builds like this that make me so aware of how screwed we are in the Mini S.

My Cars
    2010 BMW 135i Coupé
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob 99 M3 View Post
    Thanks for all the kind words. Some of the info is the "secret sauce" but you can tell it's a Garrett GT on what started as an M42. The manifold is by Jon at http://www.666fabrication.com/

The Coil on Plug conversion uses M54 coils along with a custom mounting plate we had machined. You have to trim one of the coils but the kit has come together nicely. We went this way for 2 reasons; the turbo need to be where the coil packs were, and we got the motor without coils so it was cheaper than buying new coils and spark plug wires.

The car no longer has a key so I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

This motor would be a nice addition to an E36, but we've got the E30 chassis with a great Evosport cage so we'll run what we brung.

We've touched all the other systems in the car including adding an oil cooler, upgraded fuel pump and replacing the ECU. It's going to need brakes before we're done (you suppose?) and the end is in sight but seeing as how there is still the day job thing it's tough to get it all ready. Aside from some delays at the machine shop it's coming along.
    Couple things...did you guys do anything special for the secret sauce...stroking/boring? Dont need the details...as I know what fits and what doesnt already...just curious.

Also...any word on when the kit for COP will be done?

Glad to see some serious turbo dev going on the M42...should answer some questions for me in the future. Nice to see the power you are putting down.
    -Dustin

It's got a GC suspension with Ireland bars and Koni's. All the bushings have been done. We've got a few sets of 15" K1's with Toyo's. We're going to see how we do with this setup and try to keep the unsprung weight down.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBoyZ3 View Post
    ...did you guys do anything special for the secret sauce...stroking/boring?

Also...any word on when the kit for COP will be done?
    The answer on the secret sauce is "yes" and we will be within the DM limit with the FI multiplier.

The COP kit is done, and I have a spare plate that has not been powder coated. I've not test fit them on an E36 or Z3 but I don't know of a reason they would not fit.

PM me if you need one.

My Cars
    E30 S50 cabrio, E30 M42 Turbo D-Mod club racer
    Rob,

Nice post.

Lets not give out any secret sauce.

Don't let anyone know that we are using one of those Tornado's in the intake to save gas!!!

Paul Q

My Cars
    ñangara GT
    Can you share how did you get that engine looking so pretty?
    Gracias.
    Chris

I expect we'll be in the power range of some of the built S14's. This project is evolutionary. And the thing I'm most concerned about is can we put enough rubber on the track. As our first outings will be test and tune we plan to try and figure that out.

We're weekend warriors who do a significant majority of the work ourselves in the garage at home, so we don't expect to field the perfect or complete club racer right out of the box.

We're also treating it as a learning experience, so the research and development phase has brought satisfaction all it's own.

Finally we're both technology sales guys, not engineers or mechanics but we've adopted "Make it safe, make it last, make it fast" as our mantra. We have not spent the prize money or quit our day jobs yet so this is all for fun.

My Cars
    E46 | W211 | EG8
    Impressive Rob!! Definitely looking forward to your guys' project as it develops...

My Cars
    2011 Tahoe, 2011 335is
    Looks like a very interesting project. That exhaust manifold is beautiful!

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)
    LOL....I know the "secret sauce"!

The St. Louis BMW club made a field trip down to Metric Mechanic last weekend and Jim Rowe was telling a few of us on the side about this setup. He had an s14 and an M42 block side by side. I'd almost be willing to bet the M42 with turbo weighs about the same as a s14.

Damon in STL
    Damon in STL
    '88 e30 M3/M42t - GTS3 #72 - Motorcraft Ign., Volvo Injectors, Thrush Turbo Muffler, Open Source ECU, Aerospace Connectors, Lowes Polycarbonate, Alumacore Front Splitter and Rear Diffuser, Honda Radiator(s), Racer's Tape (white), Tornado, Various Stickers, Farm Implement Paint (gloss white), Nationwide Series Windshield (Fontana version), GMC Boost Solenoid
    My current car: e30 M342t Evolution

This is not a MM engine, but there are only a few ways to get from here to there. I don't have much insight into the weight differences, but I was able to carry the short block around the shop by myself. Not something I'd try with a 6 cylinder. I've never worked on an S14.

Can you share how did you get that engine looking so pretty?
    The block was painted while at the machine shop. The valve cover and intake were powder coated, and rest was elbow grease and a parts washer. Here's what it looked like before I started.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E30
    Very cool man. I am sure this will be a real monster. What other sorts of cars are common competitors in the aforementioned classes? Hopefully you will be winning some M42 respect!

That COP plate sure looks aaaaaawfully familiar.....lol you didnt happen to use the drawings I posted up on M42Club did you? It would be sweet to know that people are actually using them! They sure clean things up under the hood huh?

My Cars
    2000 E39 M5
    The motor looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwman91 View Post
    That COP plate sure looks aaaaaawfully familiar.....lol you didnt happen to use the drawings I posted up on M42Club did you? It would be sweet to know that people are actually using them! They sure clean things up under the hood huh?
    The Class is any BMW block and chassis up to 2.9L for NA so there is a broad mix. I think most are either S14 or M52 based engines.

I'm the guy who ran with the group buy on the M42 club boards. I think the machine shop has another 10 plates ready, I just need to complete the kits and make them available.

My Cars
    E30
    Well, be sure to give the S14'ers a run for their money!

Good work on the group buy. I sure as hell did not have time to produce too many myself. So, even without AC or the coil packs, does the turbo fit? It looks like you'd need a hole in the hood!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast