Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My diy thread

My Cars
    328is, civic

My diy thread

well, Ive posted some things here and there but im gunna try to keep everything in one thread here so information doesnt get lost.

here is a pic of my spreadsheet. Its not current as im at about 3600.00 so far after i ordered my aem wideband, arp studs, and cometic gasket.

Here is some shots of some trouble i had fitting up my ssautocrome mani do to some clearance issues. The cartech mount was rubbing the mani so i had to clearance the the mount alittle bit.

I also had some clearance issues with the ireland engineering mounts as well.

and a pic after the clearance problem was addressed. I ended up grinding the cartech mount and ended up shaving the poly mount. Not my favorite idea however i didnt really wanna hack up the mani anymore than i had to.

I had a chance to start installing my 12X24X3 intercooler. I copied streub's design for the intercooler bracket. Worked like a charm.

Now, when i did my intercooler piping searching i wanted a kit that gave me the most bends/pipe for the money. I ordered a kit off ebay for $105.00 and it had everything i needed plus extra's. The only modding i had to do so far is cut out 3in off 1 straight section. I didnt have to modify anything really to use this kit. everything just worked like magic. Howeever im still opting to make changes. I used this kit mainly for mocking purposes, i will be welding most connections where possible and probably upgrading the silicone couplers for better pieces.

The good:
    A: lots of bends. more then you need
    B: lotsa worm clamps. more then you will need
    C. lotsa silione couplers. More then youll need
    D. Litle to know modification on most the piping.

The bad:
    A: lotsa worm clamps(i prefer t-bolt)
    B: Lotsa silicone couplers(crappy ones) I wouldnt try more then 10psi
    C: Piping needs edges to be rolled there are no bevels.

Now this kit isnt complete. I needed to purchase 3 straight 3-2.5 reducers. I also needed to purchase 1 tight 90degree radius cast piece for the throttle body. everything else was there.

I will try to update this thread as i get more accomplished.
    1005whp/831wtq little bit of low boost pump gas magic...

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    is that first pipe that is attached to the IC on the intake side straining at all to go up through the car at that angle?

My Cars
    04 Porsche CayenneS, Boosted 91 535i, 02 E39 528i

so far so good

nice chrome piping
    2004 Porsche Cayenne S
    2000 528i = stock power but completely built motor ready for serious boost. Resleeved block with 1/8 thick La sleeves, CP 9.5/1 pistons, eagle rods, ARP main and head studs, New head with ferrea stainless oversize valves, MLS head gasket, VAC oil pump upgrade all new seals and stuff, stuart water pump. much more to come....
    1991 535i= 310 rwhp 365ftlbs on current set up: stock motor, custom 321 turbo manifold, garrett hybrid t3/to4s 3" downpipe and 3" exhaust all the way back no cat and straight through magnaflow muffler 50mm external wastegate 3" intercooler piping and 24 by 12 by 3.5 front mount with 3" in and out super sequencial blow off. intake manifold modified to be like alpina with throttle body on opposite side bosch huge fuel pump, sx fuel regulator. EFI Technologies 1.2ecu 60lb injectors accel coils. 5 speed tranny with clutch net 6 puck disk and race pressure plate. 540 2.93 diff with custom input flange and driveshaft.

My Cars
    328is, civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Don@ModBargains View Post
    is that first pipe that is attached to the IC on the intake side straining at all to go up through the car at that angle?
    not at all, thats one of the pipes that i plan on welding. If any of the angles dont look right or like you said start to strain, i still have room to work with. But my buddy and I were amazed that we literaly routed my entire intercooler piping within 15minutes with this ebay kit. Now i just need to make some decisions on whats going to be used for the final product.

My Cars
    95 BMW M3,01 AUDI S4
    what size is the intercooler piping ?

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jfdmas View Post
    not at all, thats one of the pipes that i plan on welding. If any of the angles dont look right or like you said start to strain, i still have room to work with. But my buddy and I were amazed that we literaly routed my entire intercooler piping within 15minutes with this ebay kit. Now i just need to make some decisions on whats going to be used for the final product.
    Im really impressed what you were able to do within that price.. Looks like Ebay has been very good for you.. Question.. Where did you get those orange and blue hose sections, and can you describe them a bit?
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Nice work. Some of those things like the Tial BOV and turbo are really good prices. Were they both new?

My Cars
    97 M3, 96 318i
    very impressive, keep up the good work!

My Cars
    328is, civic
    Quote Originally Posted by eurotekm3 View Post
    what size is the intercooler piping ?
    intercooler piping is 2.5 throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by paul e View Post
    Im really impressed what you were able to do within that price.. Looks like Ebay has been very good for you.. Question.. Where did you get those orange and blue hose sections, and can you describe them a bit?
    The blue silicone hose sections are from summit(reducers). The red all came with the ebay kit. Like i said before though, they are not reinforced silicone and I probably wouldnt run more then 8-10psi through them. IDK, maybe ill play guinne pig and see how they work out.

Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
    Nice work. Some of those things like the Tial BOV and turbo are really good prices. Were they both new?
    Turbo, BOV, studs, cometic,aem wideband, were all purchased new. I have a couple friends that own local performance shops so i get good prices on parts. The used stuff like the slim fan, walbro, hks wastegate etc, i got from friends/people that owe me favors and what not. I do alot of local tuning/ecu chipping(hondas) for people.

My Cars
    95 DASC 318ic
    I do alot of local tuning/ecu chipping(hondas) for people.
    hey did you ever try reading data from your bmw ecu? and if you did, did you ever try to use turboedit or chrome to see if you modify it (since you know how to chip hondas)? i'm just wondering about this since i'm thinking of asking my buddy to read my bmw chip & see if he can manipulate the fuel map data just like he's doing right now w/ hondas...
    and i love those shiny pipes!!!!

95 alpine white 318iC - my 1st bimmer!!! now even better w/ dasc, tokico illuminas, h&r sport springs, new wheels, new top & hid...just a few of the sunk costs in this money pit!!!
    88 civic w/ zc swap
    97 lifted tj
    and a few more project cars!!!

My Cars
    328is, civic
    Quote Originally Posted by red97tj View Post
    hey did you ever try reading data from your bmw ecu? and if you did, did you ever try to use turboedit or chrome to see if you modify it (since you know how to chip hondas)? i'm just wondering about this since i'm thinking of asking my buddy to read my bmw chip & see if he can manipulate the fuel map data just like he's doing right now w/ hondas...
    and i love those shiny pipes!!!!
    meh, its not that simple. I dont do code. I just use the programs that other people have created. Honda ecu is alot different from the bmws computers from what ive read.

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    I'm really impressed with the price so far. Do you have a link for the exact piping kit you bought or are they all the same from that seller?
    -Curt

stock CR 92 non-vanos 325 / first ever Holset HY35 powered BMW / custom tubular manifold & motor mount / stock DME tuning / tial 50mm bov / 46mm xspower w.g. / green top injectors / IC piping designed by myself (above subframe of course) / 12x28x3" IC / oil return into pan that seems to work / e21 tranny mounts / custom blow through MAF / koni sport kit / 18x8.5 mvr replica's / various leaks & body colours

My Cars
    328is, civic
    The seller is listed in my price sheet. Thats his ebay name. Yes he sells the kits still.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-5-T...79344902QQrdZ1

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    Yeah I checked the sellers items out, but with all the piping you got I thought it was different than his average kit.
    -Curt

stock CR 92 non-vanos 325 / first ever Holset HY35 powered BMW / custom tubular manifold & motor mount / stock DME tuning / tial 50mm bov / 46mm xspower w.g. / green top injectors / IC piping designed by myself (above subframe of course) / 12x28x3" IC / oil return into pan that seems to work / e21 tranny mounts / custom blow through MAF / koni sport kit / 18x8.5 mvr replica's / various leaks & body colours

My Cars
    E70 X5D & R56 MCS
    Just so you know its usually reccomended for flow reasons to run a bigger size piping on the TB side of the IC. 2.75 would be a better choice for IC to TB if your going to run 2.5 from the turbo to IC.
    -Kyle 1995 Custom Turbo M3 SOLD!

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by BMuu View Post
    Just so you know its usually reccomended for flow reasons to run a bigger size piping on the TB side of the IC. 2.75 would be a better choice for IC to TB if your going to run 2.5 from the turbo to IC.
    here here. im glad im not the only one preaching that
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    328is, civic
    Quote Originally Posted by BMuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rt turbo View Post
    here here. im glad im not the only one preaching that

lol, i understand this however its realy the least of my concerns at the moment. Im just workin on getting a car running before i start worrying about 5whp gained outta running 5-8psi on stepped intercooler piping. Maybe when im comfortable with my tune/setup and start pushing the envelope ill start thinking about that.

As for right now, im just working with what i got.

My Cars
    BMWs and 'Yotas
    Quote Originally Posted by paul e View Post
    Im really impressed what you were able to do within that price..
    Plus one.. I started out with a low priced turbo-kit goal and quickly blew that idea right outta the water.

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Turbo
    Yeah, that is really impresive. I hope your SSautocrome mani holds up better than most peoples. For my project, i have figured about 5000-5500 but that includes clutch/LWFW, HG & studs and full fuel system. Also, I have allocated about 1150 for the gt35R (what i get them for shipped).
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    | GT35R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS Oring Block w/ elring | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 | Nick G Tuning |
    | 46mm Precision gate| 62# injectors | Dual Walbro's |
    Goal: 600+ whp pump gas reliable 10 second car.
    -2007 335i Sport Package

My Cars
    LS3 e46 m3, '76 2002

Good luck. Cant wait to see it. You're going to be faster than me... again
    -Mike

My Cars
    e36 m3, e39 m5
    looking good I know your stoked!
    11.75 @ 131 6262 2.8l TRM Tuning e36 m3 - 2011 http://dragtimes.com/BMW-M3-Timeslip-23541.html

My Cars
    13 Rubicon
    What did u use to make the intercooler bracket?
    2011 M3 Coupe - Individual Fire Orange/Black Novillo Extended Leather, 6MT, Mode Carbon, Eisenmann Race, BBS CH-R, BC Coil-overs (Sold)
    1995 M3 Coupe - Avus/Hurricane, AEM EMS, Precision Turbo, Boostlogic, H&R, Fikse FM/5, MaxVelocity, Maximum PSI, 20% Tint, etc etc.. (Sold)
    2009 M3 Coupe - AW/Fox Red, 6MT, Carbon Roof, Shadow Trim, etc (Sold)

My Cars
    95 DASC 318ic
    Yeah, that is really impresive. I hope your SSautocrome mani holds up better than most peoples.
    yeah there was a lot of bad issues w/ people running ssautocrome mani on honda forums...but then some did post that their's held together w/out problems w/ a 1yr+ in use.

95 alpine white 318iC - my 1st bimmer!!! now even better w/ dasc, tokico illuminas, h&r sport springs, new wheels, new top & hid...just a few of the sunk costs in this money pit!!!
    88 civic w/ zc swap
    97 lifted tj
    and a few more project cars!!!

My Cars
    328is, civic
    Quote Originally Posted by MPD47 View Post

Good luck. Cant wait to see it. You're going to be faster than me... again
    lol, its alright. Your shit will be together soon.
    Yeah, that is really impresive. I hope your SSautocrome mani holds up better than most peoples. For my project, i have figured about 5000-5500 but that includes clutch/LWFW, HG & studs and full fuel system. Also, I have allocated about 1150 for the gt35R (what i get them for shipped).
    Im probably gunna have my buddies shop trace the welds and properly back perge them when i have him add the wastegate pipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmb882 View Post
    looking good I know your stoked!
    more or less, but mostly nervous that something might go wrong. Ive been reading too many horror stories lately
    Quote Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
    What did u use to make the intercooler bracket?
    again like ive said before, this is streub1 design, not mine for clarification.
    you can pic up 1'X1/8" flat at home depot and here is the diagram.
    http://e-owned.com/albums/userpics/1...%20BRACKET.pdf

My Cars
    13 Rubicon
    again like ive said before, this is streub1 design, not mine for clarification.
    you can pic up 1'X1/8" flat at home depot and here is the diagram.
    http://e-owned.com/albums/userpics/1...%20BRACKET.pdf
    Thanks man! Goodluck with the rest of your build.
    2011 M3 Coupe - Individual Fire Orange/Black Novillo Extended Leather, 6MT, Mode Carbon, Eisenmann Race, BBS CH-R, BC Coil-overs (Sold)
    1995 M3 Coupe - Avus/Hurricane, AEM EMS, Precision Turbo, Boostlogic, H&R, Fikse FM/5, MaxVelocity, Maximum PSI, 20% Tint, etc etc.. (Sold)
    2009 M3 Coupe - AW/Fox Red, 6MT, Carbon Roof, Shadow Trim, etc (Sold)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast