Thread: disadvantage to CDV removal?

My Cars
    2005 330 ci zhp Imola Red

disadvantage to CDV removal?

Is there a downside to removing the CDV on the clutch? Do you get quicker wear out or anything like that?
    Last edited by mach schnell; 01-08-2007 at 01:06 AM.

My Cars
    Int. Blue '07 M5 (6MT)
    I'm curious about this also

My Cars
    95 M3
    not aware of any downside. your clutch actually wears faster with the cdv because it slips a lot more. i recently did this on my car and two other e36's and i highly recommend this to anyone who hasnt dont this yet. only takes 10 minutes and makes your clutch feel much better.

Quote Originally Posted by D Unit View Post
    Coupe owners know their rides are hot, whereas, Sedan owners constantly feel the need to explain or defend why their cars have 4 doors. Because Sedan owners deal with this insecurity problem daily, they have dedicated a special group to cope with their issues. I think it's called the M3/4 Club or something like that...

My Cars
    M3, S5
    I'd like a little more info on this too. I haven't seen any downside in the existing threads about CDV.

My Cars
    '01 M3cic, '94 525i/5
    If you have clutch or other driveline issues, your dealer may give you grief on any warranty repairs - if they notice its gone. You can also get one that has the guts removed for $35. I forget the name of the outfit that has these. Do a search here or on M3forum.net and you'll find it.

My Cars
    03 M3 cab
    Quote Originally Posted by RN WC View Post
    If you have clutch or other driveline issues, your dealer may give you grief on any warranty repairs - if they notice its gone. You can also get one that has the guts removed for $35. I forget the name of the outfit that has these. Do a search here or on M3forum.net and you'll find it.
    http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm

My Cars
    2002 E46 M3:Carbon Blk/Cinnamon
    the only downside to the CDV removal is that the CDV is designed to reduce driveline shock.

by controlling the rate at which the clutch engages, you cant drop the clutch and screw things up as easily... now i did say as easily, it can still be screwed up pretty bad as illustrated by some members who still had their CDV in.

but you will see less clutch wear because now the clutch is closing at the correct speed for shift and this doesnt allow any slippage during engagement. while the cdv was installed, it was re-engaging the clutch too slowly which actually caused more wear.

Even if you do drop the clutch really high, the CDV wont be able to save you from yourself, so there is really no reason to keep it.

the zechkhausen page is great, I actually have on of their remanufactured CDV's installed right now, i also have a SS clutch line and i didnt want to change any of the specs so i used the zeckhausen cdv. but you dont need to, you can just remove the CDV and reconnect the two ends and your done.

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
    -Mario Andretti
    “When I raced a car last it was at a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous. Now, it’s the other way round.”
    - Hans Stuck

My Cars
    '69,'70 Mustang,'86 Bronco, '02 M3
    If you know how to drive the car with CDV and it fits your driving style then there is no use of removing the CDV. If you race the car and 0.01 seconds is important to you then remove it.
    CDV does not cause the clutch to wear faster; I have not yet seen any scientific tests done proving that it will. It is how you drive the car that causes the faster clutch wear.
    Ersin
    E46 M3 Ti Silver
    Dinam Stage I seat covers, ///M valve stem caps, ///M license plate frame and manual rear sunshade. Modified stock muffler.These are considered mods right?

My Cars
    1997 bmw 528i
    guys u gonna make me do it the 1st in the morning

My Cars
    2008 335i coupe MT6
    I'm unclear on this. As far as I know the e46 m3 does not come with this( my previous e46 non m did have one which I replaced with the cdv unlock valve from bavauto) my m3 does not have one and to the best of my knowledge it never did
    2008 CPO 335i, MT6,Cobb AP, AFE CAI,ER/Tial Diverter pipe/BOV,BMW Performance flat bottom steering wheel,H&R Sway bars,Reiger trunk spoiler

My Cars
    '04 M3/MT Coupe,'04 X3
    Mine has one...which is on my short list. I was waiting until I installed my brake kit so I could just bleed everything all at once.

Sometimes I feel like the clutch is engaging at different points. I've been driving a manual since I learned how to drive, and I swear sometimes it's not my fault when I lurch off a stop light. I don't mind looking like an idiot when it actually is my fault...but after I rip the thing out I'll know if I just need to practice or if the CDV is just a pain.
    -Aaron
    2004 M3 - Coupe, 6spd, Silver Grey on Black
    | RAC RG63, PSS, ZCP Brakes, aFe, SS (V1, Res. X-pipe, Street Muffler), Epic Alpha-N, 319whp |
    2006 Jetta TDI/DSG, Pkg 2, Silver on Black - Sold
    2004 M3 SMG - Silver Grey on Black, Convertible - RIP
    1995 525I 5spd - Black on Black -Sold
    2004 X3 3.0i AT- Blue on Tan - For the wife....

My Cars
    e92 335i 6MT
    CDV removal equals less clutch wear and more precise engagement.

My Cars
    2006 Estoril Blue/Cin M3
    Removal of the CDV = more shock transmitted to the subframe.

My Cars
    '04 M3/MT Coupe,'04 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by lmtfi View Post
    Removal of the CDV = more shock transmitted to the subframe.
    how does one measure this impact?

There's truth in this if someone just slips their foot off the pedal and lets it spring up for instant engagement, but while the CDV is there doing its job the secondary effect is unpredictable clutch engagement the other 99.9999% of the time.

Given that I've never had an issue with past vehicles, it's a risk I'm willing to take.
    -Aaron
    2004 M3 - Coupe, 6spd, Silver Grey on Black
    | RAC RG63, PSS, ZCP Brakes, aFe, SS (V1, Res. X-pipe, Street Muffler), Epic Alpha-N, 319whp |
    2006 Jetta TDI/DSG, Pkg 2, Silver on Black - Sold
    2004 M3 SMG - Silver Grey on Black, Convertible - RIP
    1995 525I 5spd - Black on Black -Sold
    2004 X3 3.0i AT- Blue on Tan - For the wife....

My Cars
    2006 Estoril Blue/Cin M3
    Quote Originally Posted by abakos View Post
    how does one measure this impact?

There's truth in this if someone just slips their foot off the pedal and lets it spring up for instant engagement, but while the CDV is there doing its job the secondary effect is unpredictable clutch engagement the other 99.9999% of the time.

Given that I've never had an issue with past vehicles, it's a risk I'm willing to take.
    How does one measure it? I suppose if you are interested in the answer you could research hydraulically-actuated clutch engagement systems. Of could you would have to know what the delay time is. Zeck may know this.

The CDV was installed by BMW as an afterthought to ease clutch engagement with the specific intent of reducing drivetrain shock from being transmitted to the subframe when the driver dumps the clutch at high RPM.

There is no other purpose of the CDV that I am aware of.

I never observed whether people should or shouldn't do it. I simply answered the stated question.
    Last edited by lmtfi; 04-01-2011 at 05:36 PM.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Hmm. Yeah, I think your going to be able to take out your subframe just as well with one was without one.