Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rear Window - Meguire's Plastic X Polish, Like New!

My Cars
    Driver Wanted... and found it!

Rear Window - Meguire's Plastic X Polish, Like New!

I am just amazed, I was going to replace the rear plastic window after seeing a crease around the bent area. Well, I took the advice and bought the Meguire's Plastic Polish from AutoZone for $4.99 plus tax, came home, wiped some on a cotton rag and applied some on the plastic window and, OMG! As the black dirt came off, the window looks brand new.

I just saved about $135.00 since I renewed the plastic window! Just amazing! All that was dirt on the plastic that is not detectable from naked eye! Lots of dirt accumulated there which gave it a haze.

Thanks all!
    '01 Jetta GLS TDI (Turbo Direct Injection diesel) I4 - Auto/Silver, Black Leather, Upsolute, Heated Seats, Cold-Weather Package, Sunroof, Monsoon Sound System, 6-CD changer. 105Kmiles, Averages 46.15 MPG . SOLD 10/3/07!

FOR SALE: '99 BMW 328iC (E36) Convertible - 5-Speed Manual/Silver, Heated Seats, Grey Leather Interior, Cold Weather Package, Harmon Kardon Sound System, 6-CD changer. 65,800 miles, Averages [Not Yet Available] MPG. Everything stock except battery. MODS: Cluster rings, extended remote antennae, exhaust tips. Rear differential oil changed with Redline 75W90, front transmission fluid changed with Redline D4/ATF. Brake fluid changed with ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid. Oil change with Mobil1, next one will be Castrol Syntec. $11,400. SOLD ON MY BIRTHDAY 10/19/07

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    be sure to do the inside too. it tends to get this gross filmy build up.

i have that stuff too. it works pretty well!

My Cars
    Yup, I always do the inside. Unfortunately, wiping it down with a wet shamy did not do anything. Now the plastic feels so much supple and soft.
    Quote Originally Posted by palomino View Post

'01 Jetta GLS TDI (Turbo Direct Injection diesel) I4 - Auto/Silver, Black Leather, Upsolute, Heated Seats, Cold-Weather Package, Sunroof, Monsoon Sound System, 6-CD changer. 105Kmiles, Averages 46.15 MPG . SOLD 10/3/07!

FOR SALE: '99 BMW 328iC (E36) Convertible - 5-Speed Manual/Silver, Heated Seats, Grey Leather Interior, Cold Weather Package, Harmon Kardon Sound System, 6-CD changer. 65,800 miles, Averages [Not Yet Available] MPG. Everything stock except battery. MODS: Cluster rings, extended remote antennae, exhaust tips. Rear differential oil changed with Redline 75W90, front transmission fluid changed with Redline D4/ATF. Brake fluid changed with ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid. Oil change with Mobil1, next one will be Castrol Syntec. $11,400. SOLD ON MY BIRTHDAY 10/19/07

My Cars
    '98 M3, '84 325es
    Now go buy some Plexus, and hit the inside and outside of the window everytime you wash the car, and it will look great for a loooooong time.

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    do any of you guys get tiny white spots of polish stuck on the window that are impossible to get off? the window gets all staticky, and the polish dust sticks to it. my window is prefectly clear, but i just have those spots. i can smear them around, move them around, but cant completely remove them.

My Cars
    2001 330Ci Convertible
    do any of you guys get tiny white spots of polish stuck on the window that are impossible to get off? the window gets all staticky, and the polish dust sticks to it. my window is prefectly clear, but i just have those spots. i can smear them around, move them around, but cant completely remove them.
    I use some type of terry cloth and I dont seem to have much problems. You might try that and see if it helps.

My Cars
    95 325i vert. ford f250 super duty 4x4 supercrew
    good post! i stopped at autozone yesterday bought a bottle and some rags. went for it in the parking lot. amazing! i had all but given up on that back window! i tried rubbing compound and a magic eraser a while back with minimal results, and thought if that wont polish it nothing will. i was wrong. my window was so bad it was dangerous to drive around. couldnt see s*it.

My Cars
    "I was blind but now I see..."
    Quote Originally Posted by 882001 View Post
    good post! i stopped at autozone yesterday bought a bottle and some rags. went for it in the parking lot. amazing! i had all but given up on that back window! i tried rubbing compound and a magic eraser a while back with minimal results, and thought if that wont polish it nothing will. i was wrong. my window was so bad it was dangerous to drive around. couldnt see s*it.

My Cars
    Anyway, thanks for the tip. I just saved like $135+ or $400+ if you're talking about Princeton BMW, those dirty rats!

My Cars
    '14 GLK250, '13 Abarth
    Good to hear! I used BMW's stuff with so-so results. I bought some Plastic X but stored the car before I got to use it. Can't wait!

1999 Cosmos Black/Dove Grey BMW ///M3 convertible - 5 speed - SOLD

2005 Atlantic Blue Pearl/Taupe Leather Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon - 5 speed
    - SOLD

2014 Tenorite Grey/Black Mercedes-Benz GLK 250 - bone stock.

2013 Bianco/Rosso Abarth 500c - 5 speed

2016 Oxford White/Grey Ford Transit 250 Powerstroke 148 MR (DIY RV conversion)

My Cars
    1994 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Now go buy some Plexus, and hit the inside and outside of the window everytime you wash the car, and it will look great for a loooooong time.
    I 2nd that. Plexus is an excellent product for the rear window as well as other plastic items like tail light lenses. And for you motorcyclists, its the best thing for your helmet visor.
    1994 325ic
    Mauritius Blue/Dove Grey

My Cars
    1999 323ic
    Not to beat a dead horse, but if anyone is wondering if this really works, trust me it does! My new BMW looked terrible, and it was dangerous to drive because of the rear window. My wife and I polished it with Plastx and it is amazingly clear.

The person who originally found this stuff deserves a medal!!!

My Cars
    1996 328ic
    Wow....I can see again now too!!

My Cars
    1998 M3 Convertible
    Works good on motorcyle helmet visor good too.
    Just drive or fly, Semper Fi!

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    Used it over the weekend- much cleaner. Still think I like the 3M cleaner & polish (2 step) a little better.
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    1998 M3 Convertible
    Autosol from Bavo is what I use most.
    Just drive or fly, Semper Fi!

My Cars
    1994 318ic, 2001 330cic

What about headlight lenses?

So obviously this stuff gives great results for the rear windows, but has anyone used it for the hazing plastic headlight covers? Good results?
    JH
    2001 330cic

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    Quote Originally Posted by highlandfling View Post
    So obviously this stuff gives great results for the rear windows, but has anyone used it for the hazing plastic headlight covers? Good results?
    JH
    it could work as a temporary fix, but you should seriously look into upgrading to european style headlights. the light output is so much better than the plastic US spec headlights. plus, the outer cover is glass.

if you dont want to do that, id recommend getting a headlight polishing set from autogeek.net to get the plastic cleaned up thoroughly. (10% off if you use coupon code: clubmember)

My Cars
    328 5spd Vert

Been there.

The fix is to use a soft damp cloth (water only) in one hand, and a dry soft cloth in another. Wipe on and buff off. It's a bit of a pain to do but it works.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328 Convertible
    Hey there. Just wanted to say thanks for the great tip. I just signed up for this forum moments ago and in reading this very first post I got a gem of a solution for my hazy back window. And what a great looking silver convertible, I bought used and got black, but preferred silver, anyhow...

My Cars
    2001 325Ci cabriolet
    Tried this andit didn't do a damn thing. Then again, my window is pretty much opaque because it's so oxidated, so I didn't expect much results.

I just bought a new window from eMiata. Anyone have experience putting these in? Is there anyone in the Seattle area that wants lunch/dinner on me to help me put it in? The auto glass guy up the block will do it for $80, but I'm looking to save that.
    - Chris

My Cars
    99 M3, 13 650 Gran Coupe
    I use Griot's plastic cleaner/polisher. It's amazing on that rear screen

'99 Hellrot M3 vert; Eurosport twin-screw SC w/ 76mm pulley + Schrick cam (i.e., TRM Stage 2 TS), UDP's,
    oil cooler; GC coilovers; Z3 steering rack; Euro 6-spd trans; Diffsonline 3.46 LSD

My Cars
    95 325i vert. ford f250 super duty 4x4 supercrew
    Quote Originally Posted by NiTrOuSoXiDe View Post
    Tried this andit didn't do a damn thing. Then again, my window is pretty much opaque because it's so oxidated, so I didn't expect much results.

I just bought a new window from eMiata. Anyone have experience putting these in? Is there anyone in the Seattle area that wants lunch/dinner on me to help me put it in? The auto glass guy up the block will do it for $80, but I'm looking to save that.
    did you do it inside and out? mine was totally opaque too. now clear.

My Cars
    2001 325Ci cabriolet
    Yeah, I did. Given, I used an old shirt and about 20 minutes time on it, but still I saw absolutely no difference so I gave up. Should I do something differently?
    - Chris

My Cars
    18 M2, 20 WRX
    good post gonna have to try some for the new vert its got pollen all over...
    BMW M2, Subaru WRX ( WRX > M2)
    Waiting on the 2021 STI...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast