Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: x3 sunroof leak

My Cars
    02 325it, 89 325it, 75 '02tii

Unhappy x3 sunroof leak

I have a 2005 X3 with panarama roof and sport package. After a major rainstorm I wondered why there was excessive condensation on the inside of the windshield - so much that there were 7 steady streams of water running down the inside of the windshield. then I found that there was a puddle of water behind my passenger seat. I took it to local BMW dealer and they said they had to order a new sunroof part and install as there was an issue with certain x3's. I got the car back nearly 2 weeks later and not only was the puddle still behind the passenger seat but there is now a leak on the headliner near the tailgate on the driver side arrrrrgh!!!!!! . . . . anyone else had any issues with this recently? I don't want to have a loaner every time it rains . . . . .

My Cars
    don't mind if I do.
    So far, I have had two sunroof cassettes replaced. Crossing my fingers that this one drains properly.

David

e83 / e46 M3 / e9x 335xia / B7 A4 (SOLD) / Sienna XLE Limited / Honda Pilot EXLRES (sold)

My Cars
    no more e30 , 04 WRX STI
    yup, x3's have that problem, a little rubber profile gasket that runs along the front of the cassette tends to bend upwards giving way to water, the parts are on backorder right now, we're just hoping that the new replacements fix that issue.

My Cars
    2004 BMW X3
    Happened to me about 2 months ago. I have a 2003 X3 2.5. They also had to replace the sunroof cassette on my X3 and had it about a week or so. I found my driver and rear passenger floors soaked. I haven't had a problem since. Was no biggie for me since the dealer gave me drive a 530xi sport wagon as a loaner.. That wagon is wicked.

My Cars
    X3

New Sunroof Blues

My sympathies to your sunroof problem. My '04 X-3 leaked somewhere in the back and rainwater filled up the little container (bin) area on the rear right corner. In addition, the sunroof would occasionally go wacko walkabout and not shut, even after all reasonable attempts. The dealer had it for 2 weeks and did not fix the problems after replacing the ENTIRE sunroof. The courtesy car was a new Toyota Camry, which I could not wait to return. On the way home from the dealer, it rained like cats and dogs, and by the time I got home the rear bin was completely full of water AGAIN. Surf's Up !!!
    So, back we went and I got a nice new X-3 loaner for a week while they replaced a kinky rear sunroof gasket. This time, though, the inner cloth panel had also been replaced, but it was a darker grey to black color, not the same as the earlier light to medium grey headliner material as came with the car. TODAY, it's sleeting outside and I have to replace a low beam light in front of the windshield washer tank. The tank's out, but the bulb is very tight and impossible to remove, so it's off to the dealer again. I'm convinced this car wants a to find a nice new home. Over the past 30 years, I have had all sorts of sunroofs (VW, Volvo, Land Rover) and never a single problem this outrageously assinine.

My Cars
    '04 BMW X3, '05 MINI Cooper, '98 VW Passat

X3 Sunroof leak

Ours was discovered when we went to use the spare and the battery well was like a swimming pool. It turned out that the rear drain had clogged - we don't park under trees - what would have clogged it? The car was in the shop for over a month as the electrical system in the car, the panorama roof, GPS system, onboard computer, etc. were replaced - fortunately under warranty. We were given a nice X3 loaner for a trip to Cleveland, as we really needed the navigation system.
    A month later, the onboard computer refused to open or display. It was just a loose connection that had come loose, but what a pain to have to take it in to the dealer, be driven back into town, etc. The dash was put back together sloppily - I don't pay big bucks for a car with minute tolerance levels, only to discover a 1/4" gap where it was not snapped back into place. I am sure they will groan when they see me coming.
    A couple of questions:
    (1) is there an exploded view of the dash somewhere - I could probably remove and reseat the part myself if I could just see how it is hooked in.
    (2) if these drains are such a nuisance, a thick wire that could be run down it periodically would have saved them a $12,000 service charge.
    Any ideas?
    This car is great when it runs, but we have less than 15,000 miles on it. It seems like a lot has gone wrong with it.

My Cars
    Update on my x3 . . . i have not had any water in the very back of my car - they told me there was about 4" of water behind the passenger seat when the gutted the car - the FOURTH time it was in the shop. Service manager and staff at the dealer were intent on curing the problem and every time we did get either an x5 or an x3 as a loaner but interestingly enough we had a 2005 x3 3.0 with 2500km on it and it was both leaking water and the LF headlight ws burnt out (but it had heated steering wheel which i reccomment to anyone north of the 49th). hmmmm. anyways, they put in new sunroof panel, new drains, new rear carpet, new headliner . . it is supposed to rain like a beggar towards the end of the week so we'll just have to wait and see!!!! i love the x3 and would like to trade in on a 2007 3.0si but i wonder about the design of these cars . . . . .

My Cars
    2002 x5
    Sorry to hear about your sunroof leaks. That is one problem that no one expects from BMW and yet it is happening frequently in both X3's and X5's. I have a 2002 X5 and I was LIVID when it happened. Apparently the sunroof drains clog (so I was told) and when it happened to my car the dealer removed and replaced all the carpeting including the wool floor mats,the headliner throughout the car and ...The carpets were shipped overnight from Germany! All in it took a week to get the car sorted out and fortunately for me I had the car serviced where I bought it. You really need to have a top notch service department and technicians work on these cars. I have been to a alternative "so-called" authorized BMW service center and they can be downright scary. If you need to spend a couple of hundred bucks (worst case scenario) and flat bed it to a reputable dealer, I would highly recommend it! Some of those guys are a nightmare and a half!

My Cars
    sorry, but sunroof leaks are typical. i worked on one last week where the headliner foam had pinched off the drain, and water leaked into the car, down the a-pillar and onto the floor.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2007 X5 4.8i
    Is it possible to check if the sunroof drains are clogged or open, without waiting for a disaster to happen? Our X3 has seen its fair share of rain, but no wet floors or rear compartment yet. I would like to prevent the problem if I can, though.
    2007 X5 4.8i
    2005 X3 3.0i
    2006 Z4 3.0si roadster

My Cars
    Well - our car was completely gutted last week and after 3 days of rain there is now a puddle behind the passenger seat again - they even pressure tested it twice, installed new sunroof drains (as well as reinforcing them) and new carpeting. I sure hope that this does not happen to anyone else out there . . . . . time for a trade and a huge hit from depreciation :-(

My Cars
    don't mind if I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmersinner View Post
    Well - our car was completely gutted last week and after 3 days of rain there is now a puddle behind the passenger seat again - they even pressure tested it twice, installed new sunroof drains (as well as reinforcing them) and new carpeting. I sure hope that this does not happen to anyone else out there . . . . . time for a trade and a huge hit from depreciation :-(
    Wow, that is very dissapointing. Can you push BMW for a buyback (that's what I planned to do if my third sunroof cassette exhibited leakage). Clearly there's a defect that impairs the safe operation of the vehicle (water = corrosion = potential electrical failures).

good luck

David

e83 / e46 M3 / e9x 335xia / B7 A4 (SOLD) / Sienna XLE Limited / Honda Pilot EXLRES (sold)

My Cars
    98 528 / 89 M3 / 98 4-5 M3 06 X5
    I know what your going through. I had the same problem in my 04 X5 and after 8 vists to the dealer my wife wrote the president of the dealership a very not so nice letter and the very next day they called us in to order an 06 with every option that we wanted. Needless to say we took advantage of that. We just had to sign a waiver that we won't sue them on the 04 model.
    My advice to you is make a very big stink about it and go to the top with it.

Good Luck

My Cars
    00 740i 6spd, 01 740i
    Ask the dealer about the redesigned panoramic sunroofs and MAKE SURE they are aware of other modifications that need to be done besides replacing the cassette. Not all techs read service bulletins.

My Cars
    surprise surprise . . . came back to from holidays only to find more water in the back of my car. Also this time the entire inside of the windscreen and sinroof were dripping wet as well :-( I wonder if there is anyone in canada that has had a similar issue with this as I wonder what BMW did to resolve their situation. As we don't have lemon law up here you are still in the game after 3 strikes.

My Cars
    don't mind if I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmersinner View Post
    surprise surprise . . . came back to from holidays only to find more water in the back of my car. Also this time the entire inside of the windscreen and sinroof were dripping wet as well :-( I wonder if there is anyone in canada that has had a similar issue with this as I wonder what BMW did to resolve their situation. As we don't have lemon law up here you are still in the game after 3 strikes.
    Wow, that is not good news. We have a pretty heavy storm forecasted for the end of this week. That will be the first real test on our third sunroof cassette.

Bimmersinner, have you considered contacting corporate to see what they can do for you given the past failure to correct a substantive defect?

good luck

David

My Cars
    525 i
    Heard a lot about these sunroof leaks. If buying a used X3, what are the tell-tale signs to look for to see if one has had this problem (I am assuming it will be fixed/replaced)??

Thanks,

My Cars
    Getting my car back once again tomorrow. They say now it is REALLY fixed and that they MUST HAVE pinched one of the drains after they put in the new roof and pressure tested everything. I went 4 days after the last visit before it filled up behind the passenger seat - let's pray for sunshine.

I do not have faith in the x3 after all of this ordeal. From what I hear there are ony certain x3's among a certain series of VIN #'s - my advice to all those buying or comemplating the purchase of an x3 would be to ask the service department if the vehicle falls within the VIN range on the service bulletin.

They tell me that BMW is going to give me a decision within 4 weeks as to what they will give me for a trade in value. Fingers crossed!!!!

My Cars
    don't mind if I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
    Heard a lot about these sunroof leaks. If buying a used X3, what are the tell-tale signs to look for to see if one has had this problem (I am assuming it will be fixed/replaced)??

Thanks,
    Ask to see the service history printout. It would show on there, as a service performed under warranty.

David

My Cars

Don't bother calling BMW with buyback concerns . . . . .

Okay . . . I get my X3 back after a SEVERE amount of water on the INSIDE of the windshield - (after the Service Manager had put the car in for a pressure test TWICE and was 100% sure that it is fixed the time before) and i bring it in again to get fixed and they didn't even bother to clean the inside of the windshield for me - or any parts of the rest of the car for that matter after it is in for repair yet again. Do they think that I have extra time to deal with this issue? We now have 5 days of rain in the forecast - I will be AMAZED if there are no water issues.

So I call BMW Canada's "Customer Service" line. BMW Canada's response to this . . . . normal trade in value plus $2000 trade in incentive. I am still gobsmacked. I paid huuuuge money for this car, it has problems UNDER WARRANTY that obviously cannot be sorted by LICENSED mechanics and I still get the shaft?

Why is there no lemon law in Canada? . . . . . How much money do you need to spend to receive decent customer service?

My Cars
    1994 E420, 1966 230SL
    Have there been any reports of sunroof leaks on the 2007 X3si?

My Cars
    2005 X3

Leaking Roof X3

RE: problems with the panoramic roof leaking on a 2005 X3. There are two drain tubes in the rear of the channel that drains water that gets past the glass/metal seal. My drains were clogged with maple seeds. Apparently, when you open the glass roof, any leaves or debris on top will end up in the drain. Clogged drain + leaking glass = flood in car. But the real challenge is to stop the leaking in the first place! You can measure the rate of leakage by pouring water on the roof while having someone sit on the rear seat. Open the cloth sun shield (leaving the glass closed), sit tall and watch for water dripping in from the rear brackets into the track gutter. On my 3rd visit to the dealer, he called BMW and says he learned how to adjust the rear glass to make it sit more tightly against the metal so it won't leak. I'm hoping this will be the fix. By comparing my X3 to other X3's I could see that my glass was sitting perhaps 1-2 mm (1/16 - 1/8 inch) higher than other X3s which didn't leak or only leaked a few drops by this test.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post

Thanks,
    To test for leaks, have someone pour water gently on top of the car from a pitcher or trash can filled with water or a garden hose. Sit in the rear seat, with the cloth sun shade fully open. Sit tall and look into the track at the rear sides of the moon roof. If you see dripping, that car has a problem! If dry after 1 min of water pouring on the roof, you are OK.
    Last edited by davidstuart1; 01-13-2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Porsche & Audi
    My cousins X3 had the roof replaced twice already...

My Cars
    '05 X3, '08 VW R32
    My wife's '05 X3 had pools of water on the passenger side and driver side floor. Unbelievable. Upon investigating the possible problem, I did find those drain holes everyone has been talking about, near the front "A" pillars, and stuck a small hose hooked up to my air compressor, and blew air through them to clear debris. I found the small hoses go down to both sides of the rig, sort of near where the back of the wheel well is. You need to peek your head underneath a little bit. You can see a little rubber nipple on there that looks like its supposed to keep dirt out, but I stuck my finger in there and pulled out some nasty looking gunk. I'm praying that this was what was clogging the drain holes and that its not something else......we'll see on the next big rain storm. What a poor design on these panoramic sunroofs. Hopefully they get enough complaints to deal with the problem

My Cars
    323i, X3, z3C, 325c, 533
    Ditto on the problem with my '05 X3. BMW was really good about it. Replaced the cassette/cartridge in two days, and they paid for a loaner.

Now it's dry as a bone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast