Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: AA C-38 Supercharger kit....Review + Pics:

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3

Thumbs up AA C-38 Supercharger kit....Review + Pics:

I've been meaning to write this review since I finished the install and now I finally have time to do it, so here it goes.

Install

Overall the installation went well other then a few minor set backs. This was my first time installing FI equipment on any type of car and I did it right in my driveway with basic handtools. Everything is accessable from the top of the engine, so there isnt even a need to put the car on jackstands.

I experienced two set backs that delayed me from finishing the install by about a week and a half.
    1. AA sent me a bad pulley with my Rotrex supercharger. The pulley would wobble and it was visible even when just spinning the s/c by hand. Criag at AA did a good job getting me a replacement and overnighting it to me as soon as he could.
    2. I stripped the fitting going into the oil cooler because I was rushing like an idiot as I got close to finishing it. Had a new fitting welded on and now its leak free and works great.

Pics

My Review
    After I completed the install, I said a prayer and turned the key expecting the worst and having to fix some issues before I could drive it. To my suprise, the car fired right up without issue. It stalled once then I started it right back up and it held idle, but it was rough. After about 15 seconds or so, the idle became very smooth like OEM and it ran perfectly. I actually think the car runs smoother now then it did before I installed the kit. AA did a great job on the tuning of this kit.

I took it out for a drive and I was very happy with the results. The power is very linear and it pulls soo hard all the way to redline. I love this because its a night and day difference from my stock M3 which would die out in the upper RPM's. Those days are long gone.

Im very happy with the power from this kit, but I realize that I will be going through rubber a lot quicker now because its too easy to spin the tires in 1st and into 2nd.
    My Opinion

I went with this new C-38 based kit from AA for a few different reasons. The first being that I wanted a kit that included everything I needed and that was within my budget. I bought the kit for under 4k, so I was content with that price. I always like AA's products and I was very close to buying a used C-30 based kit, but Im very happy that I held out for this new kit. I also wanted a kit that could be upgraded (unlike the C-30 kit). This kit uses the same blower from AA's E46 M3 kit. Right now I am running 7psi non-intercooled. I have not dyno'ed it yet, but it should be about 300rwhp with about 260rwtq, give or take a few. AA is currently working on upgrades to boost output. Im sure I'll be the 1st in line when they do come out .

Another reason why I went with this kit is the ease of installation. Like I said, this was my first FI install so I wanted to keep it relatively easy. I also wanted the reliability that the AA centri s/c kit are known for. This car is my DD, so reliability is a huge factor for me.

I would definitely recommend this kit to anyone looking for an FI solution with the same concerns as myself. For the price, ease of install, reliability, upgradability....I dont think this kit can be beat.

My Cars
    2003 Altima
    Congrats

Nothing beats DIY and having good results. Post up dyno results when you get the chance.

Enjoy!

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    I think AA did a great job with this kit as far as marketing, pricing, and, according to you, ease of installation. If there are upgrades available, I think it just makes this kit even more appealing. Now go enjoy!
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    '01 Mcoupe / '16 Golf R
    Under 4k? Is that list price, or a special benefit of being one of the first cars w/ the kit (test car?)?

What would the intercooled version be priced at? And what woult said stg 2 add to the stg 1?

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    I am also guessing stage II would add an intercooler.
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i
    whats that lil cooler you have behind your grille is that oil cooler?

My Cars
    2011 1M
    Quote Originally Posted by larful View Post
    whats that lil cooler you have behind your grille is that oil cooler?
    Oil cooler for the C38 Rotrex.
    MDORPHN - 2011 Alpine White 1 Series M Coupe w/stuff

My Cars
    Widebody 95 & 97 M3s
    looks really nice! congrats! how long did it take to install all in all do you think?

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneller Bayer View Post
    Under 4k? Is that list price, or a special benefit of being one of the first cars w/ the kit (test car?)?

What would the intercooled version be priced at? And what woult said stg 2 add to the stg 1?
    No special benefit. You could get the kit for that price right now too. My car wasnt a test car, but I do believe I got the first kit up and running.

There is no intercooled version out right now. This kit was pretty much just released so I dont expect the intercooler and upgrades for a little while still.

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Oil cooler for the C38 Rotrex.
    Thats right. Thats the oil cooler with the fitting that I stripped (the one of the left )

Quote Originally Posted by liilpa09 View Post
    looks really nice! congrats! how long did it take to install all in all do you think?
    Thanks a lot. Its tough to say how long it took exactly. I worked on it over the weekends and after work at night during the weeks. I had to wait for the pulley to be machined and then sent to me which took a full week. So, I'd have to say it took about 2 and 1/2 weeks to complete. It could have been much quicker though.

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    wow, even the twinscrew kit doesnt come with an oil cooler...... nice buy... i wish i could have had a ride in a c-38 car before i jumped to the TS. it seems like a stellar deal IMO.
    -M3J0N

///3oris is offline "Diogenes the Cynic"
    My Cars
    '96 M3 Turbo, '04 Yamaha R6
    So if I'm understanding correctly, there's no charge cooling on this setup? Is it upgradeable at least? Why did you choose this setup over a Vortech based kit? I also wonder what the IAT's look like without an aftercooler compared to a Vortech kit.

Good luck, hope you achieve your numbers. I would suggest cooling everything down (buy a bag or two of ice) before making a pull. Your numbers will probably be lower on subsequent runs.

Boris
    '96 Cosmos Black M3 422rwhp/407rwtq SAE @ 13psi / 444rwhp/444rwtq SAE @ 14.5psi
    Engine/Drivetrain: Technique Tuning Stage 2 Turbo TT Turbo Exhaust, M50 Manifold, TMS Oil Baffles, SSR Comps, SPEC Stage II Clutch, UUC SSK, Titanium Cavallino Ti-130R Shift Knob, UUC TME, EMC Diff Bolt, RCCA's. Suspension: GC Coil-overs, GC RSMs, GC RTABs, GC Trans Mount; H&R SB. Instrumentation: VDO Boost, VDO Oil Press, VDO Oil Temp, VDO Water Temp, BMW Traffic Pro Navigation, Valentine One TODO: W/A Injection

My Cars
    11' Mustang 5.0
    Nice man, very nice. Glad your install went well...

Im either going with the AA C-38 kit or the VF-E kit..... I have the M50 manifold conv... Does anyone know if it would be a problem running these kits with the obdI manifold?? Also what type of diff. would you guys recommend...
    Last edited by 99HellrotM; 11-20-2006 at 03:20 AM.
    ///Mmmmmmmm

My Cars
    fortwo
    nice write up.

I will be posting an identical thread on the VF-E Supercharger Stage 1 Kit for my 98 M3 within a week or so.

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Quote Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
    wow, even the twinscrew kit doesnt come with an oil cooler...... nice buy... i wish i could have had a ride in a c-38 car before i jumped to the TS. it seems like a stellar deal IMO.
    Well if you ever in my area, I'd be more than happy to take you for a ride. This is no twinscrew, but its still a lot of fun. Id love to have the low end torque of the TS, but it was way out of my budget.

And just to make it clear for everyone, the oil cooler only cools the oil for the supercharger. It has its own oil supply and you can see the resevoir in the last pic I posted. It does not cool the engine oil.

Quote Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post
    So if I'm understanding correctly, there's no charge cooling on this setup? Is it upgradeable at least? Why did you choose this setup over a Vortech based kit? I also wonder what the IAT's look like without an aftercooler compared to a Vortech kit.

Good luck, hope you achieve your numbers. I would suggest cooling everything down (buy a bag or two of ice) before making a pull. Your numbers will probably be lower on subsequent runs.

Boris
    Thanks man. And you are correct, there is no charge cooling at this time. AA is working on making upgrades that im assuming will include a smaller pulley for more boost and either an inter or aftercooler.

I chose this kit over a vortech based kit because I have always like AA's products and I have talked to many people on these boards that have had AA s/c kits on their cars for thousands of miles with no major issues. I wanted AA's C-30 kit, but the fact that you cannot crank up the boost always turned me away. Then this kit came out, I knew it was exactly what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by JM3 View Post
    nice write up.

I will be posting an identical thread on the VF-E Supercharger Stage 1 Kit for my 98 M3 within a week or so.
    Nice. Im looking forward to it. I have heard a lot of good things about their kit. Does that kit have any charge cooling? Is there a stage II out yet?

My Cars
    fortwo
    Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post

Nice. Im looking forward to it. I have heard a lot of good things about their kit. Does that kit have any charge cooling? Is there a stage II out yet?
    The Stage 1 kit doesn't come with any type of charge cooling. Their Stage II has not yet been released and no expected release date has been provided either.

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    The Stage 1 kit doesn't come with any type of charge cooling. Their Stage II has not yet been released and no expected release date has been provided either.
    ohh ok...so we are pretty much both in the same boat at this point.

My Cars
    2011 CC 2.0t, 98 M3
    This seems weird to me. If you look back in history, AA released results with a C38 + M50 manifold and front mount boosting 11 psi it seems like a year or so (actually, an OG member m3turboca posted about it. Search his posts).

I assume that the decision to not release stg 2 or more is a result of wanting to clear the c30's off the shelf. I could be wrong, but I would think that putting together a front mount would be easy. They should already have the intercooler cores from the E46 as well as the pullies so all that leaves is piping and tuning. IIRC, they made 375whp with the M50 and track pipe!!

My Cars
    2011 CC 2.0t, 98 M3

My Cars
    ford truck
    Quote Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
    Its not an engine oil cooler, its a cooler for the traction fluid that is circulated inside the supercharger...
    ford truck

My Cars
    03 m3
    just hopefully they follow through w the stage 2 for the guys who bought it thinking that...
    07 MDX | 08 m3

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    If this has been covered, forgive the question.. But up til I read about this model, I thought that the AA Centrifugal Rotrex kits came with an Air to Air Intercooler.. I thought that was one of its selling points: That it was the only stage I Centrifugal SC setup that came intercooled.

So why does this new Rotrex kit NOT have the intercooler? And why is this not deemed to be a step Backwards? IF its a bigger, more powerful unit, then I would think it needs an intercooler More than does the rotrex kit that already comes with one. Can anybody say why it was decided to release this particular Rotrex unit Sans an intercooler when the already established kit comes with one? Im sure there's a good reason.. i just didnt see it in the thread so far..
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    97 M3/4 - Hurtig/AA TS
    Larger compressor, more efficient at the flow levels required for 7psi on the M3 engine. Therefore, intercooling is not "necessary", and provides a price point that is competitive with other non-IC setups, with the same capability for upgradeability.

Seems pretty clear to me!
    Have you been Screwed?

My Cars
    '99 Alpine White M3
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
    Larger compressor, more efficient at the flow levels required for 7psi on the M3 engine. Therefore, intercooling is not "necessary", and provides a price point that is competitive with other non-IC setups, with the same capability for upgradeability.

Seems pretty clear to me!

Thanks Steve. So its because the earlier Rotrex setup ran near 8 psi, and this one runs at 7 psi, that the earlier one was marketed with the intercooler, and this one isnt.... see that.. I learn something every day.. I didnt realize 1 psi made that much difference.. Thanks for explaining that. BTW, what is the upside of this blower boostwise?
    '11 AW 135i ; Sold: '99 White M3 81k mi; Dinan SC kit, 6"/3.48" sc pulleys, Aftercooler: 10.5 psi-367 SAE rwhp/304 rwftlbs @80 degrees ambient (still with OBDII manifold & stock cats); DynoTuning by Nick G (techniquetuning.com); Speed Shop: Imported Cars of Stamford; AA-Aquamist Water Injection, exhaust, clutch; Fikse FM-10s; Koni Suspension; Stealthboxes

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/boostm3/

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Stimpee - Can you tell us anything about upgrades for this kit? Is there any kind of timeframe or any information for that matter about upgrades? I remember seeing the thread that Chisau linked a while back. 375rwhp sounds pretty interesting.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast