Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My M3 or 335i dilemma - no longer!

My Cars
    2005 M3

My M3 or 335i dilemma - no longer!

Hello everyone!
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I’ve been lurking in these forums for quite a while and have learned quite a bit from everyone. Now that I picked up my M3 today, I thought I would share my story. I’ve wanted to purchase an M3 since they were first available, but I was not financially able. This year I was ready to buy!! However, I heard about the 335i’s coming out and figured I would wait and check them out.
    September I started going on test drives. First stop was the BMW dealership. I test drove the 335i, but unfortunately the salesman was sort of a prick when he noticed that I was from a different state (I was visiting a relative) and more than likely would not buy. He never took the time to tell me about the car or show me anything about it. I enjoyed the drive in the car and thought it accelerated and handled well. However, I am honest enough to myself to admit that I really do not know much about cars and have been driving an SUV for the past 7 years. So to me, every car will feel fast and handle well. Next drive was an IS350.. to put it short, I was never much for the body style. However, with all of the options you get when it’s fully loaded blew me away. I almost bought one!! Fortunately, I did not find a dealer that had my color. You guys must be noticing the lack of mention of an M3. I stayed away from it because of the price. I just couldn’t get myself to drop 60K+ on the car. I don’t like to lease and I just wanted to finance 30K, so anything above that I am paying out in cash.
    Everyone I know basically told me not to buy the Lexus. They just couldn’t see me in it (all I have been talking about for the past 4 years is an M3). So… I narrowed it down. I was deciding between a used M3 or a new 335i. I noticed a few other people with the same dilemma and they are actually the reason for this post. I’m sure you guys have seen those post so no need for me to state my thoughts. I had the exact same thoughts about new design vs. old.. etc etc. Anyway, I could not find the white M3 I wanted so I talked myself into ordering a 335i. “it’s just as fast.. new body style.. 08 M3 is coming.. I’m never going to drive it that hard, anyway..etc etc” So.. I go to the dealership to order the 335i. I look over into the used parking lot.. what’s sitting on top of the platform?? WHITE M3 COUPE. Man.. I got confused all over again!!
    So.. I sit down with the sales guy.. he specs out the 335i with me. The entire time, I’m looking out the window staring at the M3. Finally he’s like.. ready to test drive the 335? I say.. umm.. how much is the M3?? ROFL So.. we go over there and I get a good look. WOW.. I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. All the old feelings came back..
    I’ll cut it short since this has run on long enough with something my girlfriend told me that really sealed the deal on the confusion. “You will never be in the M3 looking at a 335 wishing that’s what you had instead. But you will be in the 335 wishing you had an M3 when one drives by.”
    Everyone has their preference and what suits them best. Although I’m not a huge car guy.. I can certainly appreciate them. The M3 just suits me best. Although the 08 will be coming soon… there is no way I could justify buying it at the new car MSRP price. I would have to wait another few years! At least now, I have an M until I am ready to buy my next M. I have no regrets about going with the M3 over the 335i. Now, I just need a lot of practice with the SMG! Looking forward to it though!

My Cars
    Ford Pinto
    I usually sum it up like this...

If you want to enjoy the driving experience, buy the M3. VERY fun car to drive.

If you just want a newer car with better 'value', go ahead and get the 335 -- it should prove to be a nicer daily driver

“You will never be in the M3 looking at a 335 wishing that’s what you had instead. But you will be in the 335 wishing you had an M3 when one drives by.”

Definitely right on that one.

The M3 has a race-inspired design -- the motor, suspension, etc... No, I didnt say "RACE CAR", just race-inspired. SMGII and the 8000-rpm S54 are perfect example of this.

BMW has to strive for a blend of performance and luxury in their ///M cars. For 6 years the E46 M3 has been, and *STILL IS*, the most well balanced high performance car on the road. The only ones faulting you for your choice will be people who just dont "GET" the whole driving thing.

Read up on SMG as much as you can -- a lot of uneducated people will be negative towards it but just recognize they're the ones who weren't smart enough to take advantage of this wonderful piece of technology. I'd recommend staying OUT of automatic mode, I used it for like 1 day....I personally alternate between S3 and S5, depending on what kind of mood I'm in. BMW will not make cars with clutch pedals for much longer... just look at the E60 M5 and E63 M6
    Last edited by djben; 11-05-2006 at 04:32 AM.

My Cars
    2002 E46 M3:Carbon Blk/Cinnamon
    Post Pics!!!! and Welcome to the Fun, Fast world of the BMW M3.

"If everything seems in control, you're not going fast enough."
    -Mario Andretti
    “When I raced a car last it was at a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous. Now, it’s the other way round.”
    - Hans Stuck

My Cars
    2002 M3 Laguna Seca Blue Coupe
    I'm only a recent owner of an M3 & want you to know, driving the SMG is a blast. It has taken me awhile to master it but feel I'm there now. Altho at first I wasn't sure I'd ever truly like an SMG.

I suggest you drive it similar to a stick shift & let off the gas (ever so slightly tho) just AFTER shifting. And for comfort I make my shifts between 2-3k RPM & I only drive in S5 mode. S1-S4 is just way to slow, even for comfort.

After only had my M3/SMG for alomost 3 months I can now shift her so smoothly you can hardly feel it...sometimes I don't feel it shift at all. The hardest gears to master a smooth shift is 1-2 then 2-3.

Good luck to you & I think you did the right thing.
    -jay

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaman43 View Post
    I suggest you drive it similar to a stick shift & let off the gas (ever so slightly tho) just AFTER shifting. And for comfort I make my shifts between 2-3k RPM & I only drive in S5 mode. S1-S4 is just way to slow, even for comfort.

After only had my M3/SMG for alomost 3 months I can now shift her so smoothly you can hardly feel it...sometimes I don't feel it shift at all. The hardest gears to master a smooth shift is 1-2 then 2-3.

Good luck to you & I think you did the right thing.
    -jay
    Thanks for the welcome guys! I appreciate it. I'm so pumped up I can't even describe it. I can't believe it's finally mine!

Question about the Drive logic (I think that's the term, right?). The S1 - S6.. the level affects both drive modes? Like if I am in the regular drive mode or Sequential? I was under the impression that it was strictly a drive mode function to shift at higher RPM's. So I figured if I was shifting manually it would not affect it. I guess it does a lot more than shift at different RPM's?

My Cars
    2005 M3
    How many post do I have to make before I can link some pics?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2009 Mercedes GL320
    I think you need 25>

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2009 Mercedes GL320
    Oh and here's good info on the SMG...
    http://www.m3smg.com/special_functions.htm

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Thanks for the help guys. By the way, my car was purchased CPO, 2005 with 5K miles. I believe that it has the Sport Package, Harman Kardon stereo and I'm not sure what else.

1. Is it possible that it did not come with an alarm? I tried holding down the trunk release button (which I think is the panic button) to try and test for an alarm, but it never went off.
    2. Also, does BMW use regular wheel locks (the smooth lock that takes the place of one of the lug nuts)? Sorry it sounds a little ignorant, but I have idea if they may have thought of something else to keep someone from stealing the rims.
    3. Is there a way for me to confirm that I have the Sport Package? I am curious if I have the speed limiter or not. Not that I would ever hit top speed.. Plus I don't want to just assume that what I have the Sport package when I don't.
    Thanks!

My Cars
    02 M3 SMG II
    definately possible it didnt come with alarm...does it not have original window sticker with it? Sport package just means it has the cloth inserts on the seats right?

My Cars
    W211 E55 AMG
    335 report from today, Rolling back from BMW meet a 335 blows by me, then I catch up...when I next next to him he guns it, third gear around 60 mph, I stepped on it and blew right by him right after my sift to 4th about 90MPH (it was a close little burst) then I cut down to make a right hander, he cut behind me making the same turn, litte lane that merges with a main street, I hit the thing at 5 grand in second and drifted perfectly into my lane shifting into 3rd, no on-comming traffic, he hit it and I looked back and he almost hit the medium and did a 2 lane wide pull out of the merge..wobbling and lost his momentum going out of the turn. I then left him about 15 cars behind me.
    Silly 3 series guys trying to keep up w/M's.
    You made the right choice.

My Cars
    97 BMW 540i, 03 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by VADER13 View Post
    Silly 3 series guys trying to keep up w/M's.
    You made the right choice.
    that quote made me but nice pick up. Owning a 'M' is OWNING a 'Motorsport'. owning a 335i is just owning a 3-series.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockaxDemised View Post
    owning a 335i is just owning a 3-series.
    That is one thing that a lot of people miss. When people talk to you about your car. They always say.. "you drive an M3!".. nobody says "you drive a BMW M3".. it's a totally different class.. Love it!!

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Thats M Life View Post
    definately possible it didnt come with alarm...does it not have original window sticker with it? Sport package just means it has the cloth inserts on the seats right?
    Cloth inserts on the seats? My seats are all leather. Although I have been reading in other forums that the speed limiter is just a myth and people have broken 170. That true?

My Cars
    BMW/Jeep
    Quote Originally Posted by bluusoda View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. By the way, my car was purchased CPO, 2005 with 5K miles. I believe that it has the Sport Package, Harman Kardon stereo and I'm not sure what else.

1. Is it possible that it did not come with an alarm? I tried holding down the trunk release button (which I think is the panic button) to try and test for an alarm, but it never went off.
    2. Also, does BMW use regular wheel locks (the smooth lock that takes the place of one of the lug nuts)? Sorry it sounds a little ignorant, but I have idea if they may have thought of something else to keep someone from stealing the rims.
    3. Is there a way for me to confirm that I have the Sport Package? I am curious if I have the speed limiter or not. Not that I would ever hit top speed.. Plus I don't want to just assume that what I have the Sport package when I don't.
    Thanks!
    1) Alarm is not standard. IIRC, the Roundel (lock) button is the panic button.
    2) BMW dealers sell regular wheel locks.
    3) There was no "sport" pkg. for the m3.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    1) Alarm is not standard. IIRC, the Roundel (lock) button is the panic button.
    2) BMW dealers sell regular wheel locks.
    3) There was no "sport" pkg. for the m3.
    Thanks for clarifying, Bren. I appreciate it!

My Cars
    Boosted E39 523i
    Pic please
    '01 - E39 523i M52 2400cc | Manual Transmission (M3 3.0) | Exotictuning Front lip | Alpina B10 Rear lid spoiler | Alpina D10 Rear Axle | AC Schnitzer Type II Racing 19" | Custom Quad Exhaust | Wolf3D V500 standalone ECU | Garrett T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo @9.5 psi
    '01 - C5 A6 2.4 | RS6 Look | 19" B7 RS4 Reps | S6 LED - SOLD!
    '93 - E36 325is M50 2500cc | HX35 Turbo @1 Bar | Wolf3D V400 Standalone ECU - SOLD!

My Cars
    318Ti
    that quote made me but nice pick up. Owning a 'M' is OWNING a 'Motorsport'. owning a 335i is just owning a 3-series.
    True but BMW doesn't live on M sales alone. Which came first the chicken or the egg, well in this case the M3 or the 3 series. Now quit hating on us that aren't so lucky to own M cars. You think we don't dream of owning one. I about die every time I see an M here. (Muncie Indiana doesn't see too many higher end cars.) So don't forget to get off that high horse for just a while now and then. We just want to have fun too and stare at your car.*cough*Then knock you out and steal it*cough*

But back on topic! M3 over 335i any day. It's a no brainer. Can't wait to see some pictures. Hope to join the M club someday myself, but then again who doesn't?

Edit: bad spelling ugh.
    Last edited by Anavel0; 11-07-2006 at 04:57 PM.

My Cars
    97 BMW 540i, 03 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Anavel0 View Post
    True but BMW doesn't live on M sales alone. Which came first the chicken or the egg, well in this case the M3 or the 3 series. Now quick hating on us that are so lucky to own M cars. You think we don't dream of owning one. I about die every time I see an M here. (Muncie Indiana doesn't see too many higher end cars.) So don't forget to get off that high horse for just a while now and then. We just want to have fun too and stare at your car.*cough*Then knock you out and steal it*cough*

But back on topic! M3 over 335i any day. It's a no brainer. Can't wait to see some pictures. Hope to join the M club someday myself, but then again who doesn't?
    Hey don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean i don't respect 3-series models, i started off with one. but i agree with the whole chicken and egg thing, but keep it up you'll own an M one day.

My Cars
    97 BMW 540i, 03 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bluusoda View Post
    That is one thing that a lot of people miss. When people talk to you about your car. They always say.. "you drive an M3!".. nobody says "you drive a BMW M3".. it's a totally different class.. Love it!!
    I tested your theory to my gf and i asked her what kind of car i drive. she said a '2003 M3' but it's always almost true tho. sometimes they just say you drive a bimmer or a bmw.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330XI
    Congratulations on your M. I had the same dilema and just bought 06 M3 CS. I love the car and SMG.

My Cars
    '04M3/'Vert/6mt/Cinn/Whi
    We drive an M3, period.

But, we must respect the 3-Series, this is where it all started.

My Cars
    '06 M3 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
    We drive an M3, period.

But, we must respect the 3-Series, this is where it all started.
    +1 - well written

My Cars
    318Ti
    I tested your theory to my gf and i asked her what kind of car i drive. she said a '2003 M3' but it's always almost true tho. sometimes they just say you drive a bimmer or a bmw.
    Personally I've always said the BMW part before all bimmer models. BMW is where my heart is, if the M3 ever goes away I'll still be with BMW. But yeah if I didn't have my BMW K1200S, I would have an M3 by now.

My Cars
    bmw
    to the original poster....you girlfriend is a keeper for putting it beautifully when she said that "being in a 335 you wish you wouldve chosen the m3 and being an m3 you will never wish you got the 335."
    Ultimate Driving Machine.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast