Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touring subwoofer improvement

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny

Touring subwoofer improvement *Update 3/14/2007*

Well...I'll let the pictures do the talking...

Subwoofer

Gutted housing and trimmed lid...

Speaker Hole in lid
    Last edited by oekundar; 03-14-2007 at 12:52 PM.
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Housing Assembled...

Speaker mounted

Enclosure test fitted in enclosure

BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Now...first let me say that the subwoofer is a DVC 2 ohm unit. I am wiring it in series for a 4 ohm load and only utilizing one set of the stock wiring.

The enclosure is still vented as it would be if stock, and honestly, I need to put in my aftermarket amplifier to truly appreciate this subwoofer...more to come, but at least it looks good!
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    bf.c e34 contour
    some type of factory pseudo-aperiodic enclosure? Interesting.

My Cars
    bmw e30 tourer
    oekundar,

where'd you get the enclosure? Looks factory. And is that an 8" ED? I'll be building an sq system in my touring too and i'm also pondering that sub location of yours. Looks great man.

My Cars
    x
    It's too bad that it's an eD product...

Looks like you have a good handle on your install though.

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Quote Originally Posted by 33lop View Post
    oekundar,

where'd you get the enclosure? Looks factory. And is that an 8" ED? I'll be building an sq system in my touring too and i'm also pondering that sub location of yours. Looks great man.

That sir...is the factory enclosure that has been modified to fit the ED 8" sub. So far so good, I did some testing of the sub inside the house yesterday and it sounds great. Thanks for the compliments, I may have to put a hole in the factory panel (with a grill of course) to maximize the sound of the unit.

DevilDriver...not sure what you mean by that, any details? SO far I've been impressed, the unit was shipped and arrived on time, and performs well (at least for now)
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    bmw e30 tourer
    Keep us posted on how it goes. Interesting location for a sub. I want to know if there will be vibrations/rattling from that area.

By the way, what's your front stage?

Haven't heard an 8" ED. Will try to look around...

My Cars
    540i Wagon Sport
    Do you have more power driving that sub yet. I am looking at the 8" ED or maybe the 10" shallow to try out. I wonder what the volume of the stock enclosure is? hmmm. Nice and I did not even think it would fit in there.

I think the ED shallow 10" would fit very nice indeed.... Not to figure the volume. Also not that it would be hard but I would seal the vent.

Great idea.

Eric

My Cars
    540i Wagon Sport
    ok scratch that. Looked at my stock E39 T enclosure and at BEST it will be .30 cuft.. Probably more like .24 or so. The 8" may work out pretty well though.

33lop,

The location works out well. I built a custom 3/4 mdf box that works in that location great. No vibe issues.

Eric

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Quote Originally Posted by EricRC1 View Post
    Do you have more power driving that sub yet. I am looking at the 8" ED or maybe the 10" shallow to try out. I wonder what the volume of the stock enclosure is? hmmm. Nice and I did not even think it would fit in there.

I think the ED shallow 10" would fit very nice indeed.... Not to figure the volume. Also not that it would be hard but I would seal the vent.

Great idea.

Eric

Eric,

You know how things go, I actually haven't put the amp in yet, it should be going in pretty soon, figure I wanted to tackle all of my audio issues at once, so I am in the process of ordering some front stage speakers as well as all neccessary accesorries to make install simple and quick...I will keep you posted.
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    540i Wagon Sport
    Great, thanks. Ya mine has not been quick that is for sure. I have changed plans like 5 times now. In all reality I was most happy after my initial install, but of course had to make it better. I did not like the amp install and also wanted more options. I had intended to use a DCX-730 processor but am running out of room and really do not want to mod anything to put in the control box. I also picked up a set of Alpine F345 amps but in my car they had some floor noise my previous MTX amps did not have.

Here is where I am now.
    * Custom amp rack replacing stock spare tire cover (made from wood and painted, pretty simple really).
    * I think I may rebuild my sub box in the stock location for just a bit more volume. If I can get .5 cuft I want to install a 10". ATLDESIGNS offered to help me out with a good sub choice I may be taking him up on that.
    * I have MB quart 5.25 premium drivers up front, sound good to me, just wish they where larger.
    * I have 4 sets of tweeters but keep going back to my old Boston's that I have had for 7-8 years now. I think I am going to try Seas Lotus RT27F's. Good reviews on the DIY site.
    * Boston 6.5" coax in the rear roof for fill.
    * I also picked up a pair of Kicker SX700's (4x75) with internal DSP. They where from a local shop they pulled during an upgrade.

I should get things installed the end of the week or early next to see how it sounds... time will tell.

Eric

My Cars
    00 528i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 33lop View Post
    And is that an 8" ED?
    Looks like a 6.5" with large roll (ED EU-700).

Matthew

My Cars
    540i Wagon Sport
    Ah I think you are right Matthew,

I am pretty sure the 8" would fit fine in there though and the volume appears fine.

There is also plenty of room to hang a custom box and use the stock mounts. I am pretty sure with no mods and a bit of time on the box I can put a 10" in there and get real close to .5 cuft. My 1st attempt is .30 cuft and works with a RF P2 8" pretty well.

Eric

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    UPDATE:

I finally got to install my amplifier yesterday and test my theory/modified stock subwoofer box. My time was occupied with my honey-do list and travel for work.

On to the details:

First I will stay that the installation of the LOC from David Navone was super simple and for the price is an excellent piece of gear.

Amplifier: Xtant 403A (pre-Mitek and a classic IMO) (150w x3)
    Subwoofer: ED-8 (as if you didn't know)

Enclosure: Modified stock housing.

LOC: David Navone

Result: Sub enclosure not capable of handling speaker and was flexing...vibrations can be heard/felt

Fix: The enclosure will be redone and fiberglassed as it is currently held together by the Torx screws.

Time period to fix: Unknown...its as cold as a polar bears nads right now...soon I hope

Front stage has not been addressed as I have not picked up a set of tweeters yet...more to come
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    97 328i, 97 Pathfinder, 65 Mustang 289
    Good update, put the honey do's aside for a weekend
    Parker

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Quote Originally Posted by berr4880 View Post
    Good update, put the honey do's aside for a weekend
    LOL....sure no worries once the weather breaks a bit it will be time to 'glass!
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Update...After mounting the sub in the enclosure and powering up the amp, I noticed that the sound was NOT even great at all. The ABS/Plastic housing flexed/vibrated which put me back to the drawing board. I decided to fleece and fiberglass the existing enclosure, which is evident below. After glassing I decided to use Raamatt inside the enclosure to help seal it better and I now LOVE the sound. Great improvement...not too much though. I will have to modify the stock cover, and put a speaker grill on it...as the stock cover will muffle the sound. So...more to come.

please see pics below.

Final product:

More pics of it installed to come.
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Amplifier and Subwoofer installed

BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    323IS
    Was that a old school Xtant amp?

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmy619 View Post
    Was that a old school Xtant amp?
    Indeed it is...403a...pre Mitek
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    E36, E39&E34 Touring,E39 540
    Update?

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost Infection View Post
    Update?
    LOVE the sound I'm getting now and I haven't installed the front stage yet...the 8" sub it perfect for just the right amount of low end without going over board...in fact people are surprised its so "little".

more to come once the front stage is tackled.
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    E36, E39&E34 Touring,E39 540
    Quote Originally Posted by oekundar View Post
    LOVE the sound I'm getting now and I haven't installed the front stage yet...the 8" sub it perfect for just the right amount of low end without going over board...in fact people are surprised its so "little".

more to come once the front stage is tackled.
    Did you modify the rear cover ?Whats next?

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost Infection View Post
    Did you modify the rear cover ?Whats next?
    Oops...should have update...modified the rear sub cover with a 10" speaker grill...need to take new pictures...looks and sounds great! I could have gone with a 10" sub which would sound slightly better, but the sound in the car has GREATLY improved and I am impressed with this lil' ED sub.

Edit....

Next...will be the completion of the front stage installation, including the crossovers and wiring up to the new amplifier...it seems the factory amp easily reaches its distortion point

BTW....I could have shown it to you at the NJ meet a lil' whiles back....
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast