Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: watkins glen

My Cars
    87 325is, 00 323iT

watkins glen

well it was a real demolition derby today. the lot of shame was full at days end. the today was actaully really nice, it only rained at the very end of the enduro, but it rained really really hard. Hard enough for me to look into getting some wipers for my car. I didnt look real hard at the enduro results but im pretty sure stickley won overall, and im not sure after that. I had second on lock for JP but some how i got a one lap penalty for illegal fueling or something while pitting. I no one said anything to me although my father did help me hold the funnel while i poured the gas but had he not gave me a hand i would of spilled 5 gallons of fuel all over pit lane, he had a fire suit, helmet, gloves, and a fire extinguisher in-hand. I really didnt see anything wrong with it but i guess some one did and penalized me a lap. Is there a rulle about onyl the driver can fuel the car or something? I mean cause i can understand that but its awfully silly when i could not do it by my self because the funnel didnt fit in the gas thing so we needed to cut a bottle of water wetter open stick that in and then a funnel in that, so the funnel wouldnt stay in the other funnel and if you have ever met me you might understand why it would take two hands to pour a jug of 5 gallons of fuel. Anyway that was kind of frustrating.

Saturday was interesting, it poured for qualifying so the grid was screwed i think 12 cars passed me before turn one. other than that the race wasnt awful. except the cars the crashed in qualifying.

a short recap of the problems i know of that happened.

My car - Leaking from everything, needs head gasket, brakes, tires, motor, trans, diff.
    Micheal Yaskin brought abrahams old CM car now DM for Jeff Segal to run, Jeff blew a head gasket in it, it probably wasnt his fault but we have to blame someone.
    Ashers Hymans car over heated needs a head gasket, this was also jeffs fault he drove it saturday making it his fault.
    Phil Eiseman had someone put a jack through his fuel tank a few minutes before the enduro and he was scrambling for soap to fix it or something like that.
    the Sedacca's JP car got smushed, along with Zakins JP/IP car.
    Fitzgeralds DM car is totaled
    Gershanook(spelling?) BM car got shortened
    Rimokh (spelling?) hit the wall in the toe in the rain
    some KP car balled it up in the uphill and we amazingly didnt got full course yellow which blew my mind since this car was still on the track.
    I think Checcas car was involved in an incident
    there was some other IP car i think or maybe it was JP but it hit the wall in the up hill and needed a tie rod and a control arm and such.

there were alot of accidents and im assuming alot of people going on probation. Basicaly this weekend was sort of a CF

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBall View Post
    Is there a rulle about onyl the driver can fuel the car or something? I mean cause i can understand that but its awfully silly when i could not do it by my self because the funnel didnt fit in the gas thing so we needed to cut a bottle of water wetter open stick that in and then a funnel in that, so the funnel wouldnt stay in the other funnel and if you have ever met me you might understand why it would take two hands to pour a jug of 5 gallons of fuel. Anyway that was kind of frustrating.
    There is a rule about having to have a fireman, did you have one? Doesnt sound like it from your description.

Youre also not allowed to work on your car or be in the car during refueling.... that also gets you a one lap penalty.

Sorry to see so many cars get banged up!
    Eric WONGer
    2012 NASA Nationals GTS3 First Loser
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    I no one said anything to me although my father did help me hold the funnel while i poured the gas but had he not gave me a hand i would of spilled 5 gallons of fuel all over pit lane, he had a fire suit, helmet, gloves, and a fire extinguisher in-hand. I really didnt see anything wrong with it but i guess some one did and penalized me a lap. Is there a rulle about onyl the driver can fuel the car or something? I mean cause i can understand that but its awfully silly when i could not do it by my self because the funnel didnt fit in the gas thing so we needed to cut a bottle of water wetter open stick that in and then a funnel in that, so the funnel wouldnt stay in the other funnel and if you have ever met me you might understand why it would take two hands to pour a jug of 5 gallons of fuel. Anyway that was kind of frustrating.
    Honestly, that's a bit hard to read...but, it sounds like you didn't have a proper fire man as the rules require. The rules require that the fire guy be holding the bottle, pin pulled, and aimed at the fueler at all times. If it takes 2 people to fuel the car, the rules require a 3rd person who does nothing but hold the fire bottle.

My Cars
    87 325is, 00 323iT
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetic1 View Post
    There is a rule about having to have a fireman, did you have one? Doesnt sound like it from your description.

Youre also not allowed to work on your car or be in the car during refueling.... that also gets you a one lap penalty.

Sorry to see so many cars get banged up!
    yeah we had a guy with an extinguisher, and we didnt do anything else to the car just fueled it. just the problem with a fill thing required two people maybe these people think that it should only take one, in which case next time ill get out of teh car kick over teh gas jug throw the funnel into the track and do burnouts until it time is up. and then get towed in on because i ran out of fuel. It really was BS that i got a penalty i think, i mean unless two people arent allowed to fuel then it makes no sense, and even that that a dumb rules because of problems like mine where i just couldnt be done.

anyway its a cool track i just sort of didnt like the way the event was run, i dont like being the guest for the driver school guys. it screws up the weekend

My Cars
    87 325is, 00 323iT
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Watts View Post
    Honestly, that's a bit hard to read...but, it sounds like you didn't have a proper fire man as the rules require. The rules require that the fire guy be holding the bottle, pin pulled, and aimed at the fueler at all times. If it takes 2 people to fuel the car, the rules require a 3rd person who does nothing but hold the fire bottle.
    yeah it probably was hard to read, im at a loss of words to describe i well. but yeah we only had 2 people so that would explain it. It would of been nice if maybe someone had said hey you need a 3rd person since the one of the stewards was standing right there.

My Cars
    It would of been nice if maybe someone had said hey you need a 3rd person since the one of the stewards was standing right there.
    It's usually up to the competitors to read and know the rules.

My Cars
    2011 E91
    So sorry to hear about the carnage!! I hope everyone is ok and that nothing is bent too badly, although it sounds like it might be from your description.

Here's thinking good thoughts for everyone!
    Jon
    CURRENT:
    2011 E91 328i - Valentine One - LED Interior - Eibach Coilovers - Vossen Wheels
    SOLD:
    1989 E30 J-Stock
    1995 E36 C-Mod
    2003 E46 B-Mod
    1990 E30 325is - Red on Black
    1998 E36 M3 Convertible - Silver on Black
    2000 E39 540i Sport - Black on Black
    2005 325iT - Blue on Tan - 6sp - Koni's - Eibach - Valentine One - 3.64 LSD
    2006 E90 330i - Silver on Black
    2014 535i - Space Grey on Black - H&R - Valentine One

My Cars
    a great movie....
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Watts View Post
    It's usually up to the competitors to read and know the rules.
    Yeah...it's not like that aren't published every year and available 24/7 on line or anything.

Sux that there was this much carnage in a club race. Makes you wonder....

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    w.e we had a good time, you guys need to pull the sticks out of your ass’s tho and be a little more considerate and helpful. (with the exception of holder)

I did get over 400+ photos and was going to share them, but I doubt it now.

My Cars
    2011 E91
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsaint View Post
    w.e we had a good time, you guys need to pull the sticks out of your ass’s tho and be a little more considerate and helpful
    I don't know where that came from?? Be careful lumping everyone who posted before in this thread into the "you guys" category. Glad you had fun!
    Jon
    CURRENT:
    SOLD:
    1989 E30 J-Stock
    1995 E36 C-Mod
    2003 E46 B-Mod

My Cars
    w.e we had a good time, you guys need to pull the sticks out of your ass’s tho
    Pot. Kettle. Black.

What the heck are you talking about?

My Cars
    2011 E91

Thumbs down

FYI - New 2007 Rules are HERE

After briefly reading them, I note it says the "Fireman" can ONLY be a fireman, he/she cannot help in any other way. I think they are the same for 2006. That's probably why you got the penalty. Too bad!!
    Jon
    CURRENT:
    SOLD:
    1989 E30 J-Stock
    1995 E36 C-Mod
    2003 E46 B-Mod

My Cars
    cars
    Jebus!!! Sucks, hope everyone was ok.

Any pictures?

Sounds like there will be a lot of busy projects going on for next season.

My Cars
    '11 Hennessey V600 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve J. View Post
    Jebus!!! Sucks, hope everyone was ok.

Any pictures?

Sounds like there will be a lot of busy projects going on for next season.
    Stickley SHATTERED the track record with a 2:02.0 today....a full 2 seconds per lap faster than the next fastest lap time from any other driver at the event....

Seems a lot like my prediction of last December following Roebling event when I said his car would be really tough to beat once he got his handling back is right on track. Awesome power!

Lots of Club Racing Spirit out there this weekend. Stickley saved the day for me with a set of spark plugs after several others offered their spares for us to find they would not fit the new head on my engine. I saw several others out there helping folks make repairs.

I had a nasty 360 spin at bus stop in today's race on lap one. Luckily, the field was alert enough to avoid any contact following my mistake that left me sitting right in the middle of the track. It took me the whole race to get back near the front for the DM win to go with my second place in DM for Saturday's race when several of the fastest cars and myself had to start at the back of the pack. I started 52. I think Chuck came from outside 60th to take the overall win as Watts and I chased him through the pack. I wish I had that race on tape. At least I should have video of today's race, my spinout, the extremely interesting decision to leave a car on track rather than throwing the caution, a couple of Prepared class cars with incredible power/weight, a GREAT battle with Greg Read's MONSTER BM car, the rain, and IF the camera could see through the windshield better than I could some of the carnage from the last lap that perhaps should never have been run since the entire field was running dry-track tires in a downpour. Results show my 5th place overall finish as being a lap down, but that's likely due to the fact that I never crossed the finish line to take the checkered flag to trip the loop since we were under double yellow, waving debris flags, and cars were off track all over the place. It just wasn't worth the risk of taking another lap since the cars were hydroplaning at speeds less than 20mph due to the heavy rain and many cars were also taking NASCAR shortcut to get back to the pits without damage to their cars. It was a mad house, but lots of fun overall! Glad I made the trek from Tennessee!

Mike Akard #03 SPO/SM Street Legal, Licensed, & Insured 1991 (e30) 318is
    S50B32 & e30 Race Parts - Spares - Go-Fast Goodies FOR SALE...Always making room for "NEW" toys!
    VADER/Back In Black...V-8 Street Legal SPO/SM in 2011

My Cars
    '11 Hennessey V600 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jdholder View Post
    FYI - New 2007 Rules are HERE

After briefly reading them, I note it says the "Fireman" can ONLY be a fireman, he/she cannot help in any other way. I think they are the same for 2006. That's probably why you got the penalty. Too bad!!
    WOW! Has the rulebook always permitted non OEM ignition systems in Prepared?

S50B32 & e30 Race Parts - Spares - Go-Fast Goodies FOR SALE...Always making room for "NEW" toys!

diffsonline is offline Supporting Vendor
    Diff Builder
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Escalade, Harley, BRP
    yeah my car is done. got hit by 2 e36s in the side at almost the same time. The one who actually destroyed my car backed up and left. Anyone know who it was? He didn't take the time to see if I was ok. I am bruised but ok. i went off and didnt hit anything at all. Sucks bad that someone totalled me and I don't know who it was. White e36, looked CM, Jean Luc has it on film so we will see.

Zakins car is a write off too.

No probation for me, I didn't hit anything or anyone. Did no damage myself. Just a victim of the worst flaggers in history and a piss poor call by Stan not to throw the checkered flag a lap before like expected. Same thing happened 2 years ago and one of the BPG cars got wasted then too. Very disgusted with this whole incident and will be looking at the outcome.

Looking for another e30 shell, 318 this time since I won't find another straight e30m3 for $500.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 10-11-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    '11 Hennessey V600 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by diffsonline View Post
    yeah my car is done. got hit by 2 e36s in the side at almost the same time. The one who actually destroyed my car backed up and left. Anyone know who it was? He didn't take the time to see if I was ok. I am bruised but ok. i went off and didnt hit anything at all. Sucks bad that someone totalled me and I don't know who it was. White e36, looked CM, Jean Luc has it on film so we will see.
    I didn't know you had been involved in a wreck until tonight, but glad to hear you are alright. I have no idea who hit you. A real shame as I know you had big plans for the car.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 10-11-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: profanity

diffsonline is offline Supporting Vendor
    Diff Builder
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Escalade, Harley, BRP

My Cars
    bus pass
    It was brutal out there.

Glad no one got hurt. Now who wants to give me a car for the Phoenix race?

My Cars
    00xp race ski, 08 750il
    Damn the glen in the rain always seems to create drama, sucks to hear about all the carnage. It brings back bad memories for me the walls at the glen are no fun
    Cars sold now
    #150 WC emra
    andrew vovou

My Cars
    a great movie....

No probation for me, I didn't hit anything or anyone. Did no damage myself. Just a victim of the worst flaggers in history and a piss poor call by Stan not to throw the checkered flag a lap before like expected. Same thing happened 2 years ago and one of the BPG cars got wasted then too. Very disgusted with this whole incident and will be looking at the outcome.

Looking for another e30 shell, 318 this time since I won't find another straight e30m3 for $500.

Holy cow! Glad you are OK.

Anyone who hit you hard enough to total your car & bruise you, who doesn't even have the courtesy, concern, and CR spirit to see if you are OK, should not have a racing license, IMO.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 10-11-2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    95 M3 03 MCS, 98 M3 Cabr
    Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about all the cars damaged this weekend -- mine being one of them. Glad to hear no one was injured -- a testament to our safety equipment and compliance.

Well, as I sat watching Saturday's Sprint race from the stands, absolutely burning with envy at those who were able to race at that great track and absolutely furious at myself for knocking myself out of the running by a stupid decision to run in qualifying in the rain without rain tires, I did have a small thought that perhaps Fate kept me out of the sprint and enduro for some reason. Fortunately, the damage to my car from my stupid spin in the rain seems to be only bodywork issues (bent hood, bumper, bent front fenders and all the plastic stuff up front smushed -- except for the entire front bumper cover and splitter - those are intact). I think all the mechanicals and suspension are ok, even the brand new radiator I had just installed. I hit the Armco fairly softly (or at least it seemed that way). The famous blue Armco didn't budge a millimeter. There wasn't even a scratch on it from my impact -- I wonder if there was a tire wall there instead of Armco if I would have sustained much damage at all.

Well, (costly) lesson learned.

My sympathies go out to my fellow racers who sustained damage. Hope to see you all back out there soon.

J.

My Cars
    scooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
    Wow, I'm so sorry to hear about all the cars damaged this weekend -- mine being one of them. Glad to hear no one was injured -- a testament to our safety equipment and compliance.

Well, as I sat watching Saturday's Sprint race from the stands, absolutely burning with envy at those who were able to race at that great track and absolutely furious at myself for knocking myself out of the running by a stupid decision to run in qualifying in the rain without rain tires, I did have a small thought that perhaps Fate kept me out of the sprint and enduro for some reason. Fortunately, the damage to my car from my stupid spin in the rain seems to be only bodywork issues (bent hood, bumper, bent front fenders and all the plastic stuff up front smushed -- except for the entire front bumper cover and splitter - those are intact). I think all the mechanicals and suspension are ok, even the brand new radiator I had just installed. I hit the Armco fairly softly (or at least it seemed that way). The famous blue Armco didn't budge a millimeter. There wasn't even a scratch on it from my impact -- I wonder if there was a tire wall there instead of Armco if I would have sustained much damage at all.

Well, (costly) lesson learned.

My sympathies go out to my fellow racers who sustained damage. Hope to see you all back out there soon.

J.
    Your poor car has been taking a beating the last couple of races.. Sorry to hear about the carnage.

My Cars
    98 M3
    w.e we had a good time, you guys need to pull the sticks out of your ass’s tho and be a little more considerate and helpful. (with the exception of holder)

I did get over 400+ photos and was going to share them, but I doubt it now.
    Wow, grow up.

Sorry to hear that Dan

Quote Originally Posted by czm3 View Post
    It was brutal out there.

Glad no one got hurt. Now who wants to give me a car for the Phoenix race?
    Same for you Chris, sorry to hear about the carnage. Hope you see you and Dan back next year.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 10-11-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: profanity
    Sean

My Cars
    OUCH! Sorry to hear guys. Glad everyone's ok.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast