Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate US Spec Plastic Headlight Cleaning Thread

My Cars
    No Car

Last edited by Bernanke; 09-07-2011 at 07:03 PM.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Seems like alot of work when you can buy them in mint used condition for $50. Also seems like alot of work when they will return to their prior state in a few weeks.

It all seems like alot of work for a parts car? Maybe I'm confused.. but he actually drives that?

PS.. I just now read your post. Sorry, extend to him my condolences.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    1997 Dinan SC M3/4 5spd; Infiniti I-35; Pathfinder
    was that car under water????? nice job on the headlights.

1997 M3/4 5spd: Dinan Supercharged; Vortech V2 SQ; AA Tuned; Stromung exhaust; Cross-drilled rotors; Bilstiens; NO SUNROOF; Manual non-heated seats; 3.38 LSD; only 56k miles young!!!
    Pics: http://summer2006-m3pics.mypicgallery.com/ Pics: http://m3-pics2.mypicgallery.com/ Pics: http://m3-pics.mypicgallery.com/

My Cars
    S54 and S62
    Could you elaborate on how to nicely paint the vanos cover like that ?

thanks !
    Current:
    Alpine White E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Titanium Silver E39 540i Touring M-Sport S62 6MT

Past:
    Alpine White E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
    Interlagos Blue E85 Z4 M Roadster 6MT
    Le Mans Blue E92 M3 6MT
    Japan Red E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Estoril Blue Individual E46 M3 Coupe 6MT
    Cosmos Black E36 M3 Coupe S54 6MT
    Alpine White E92 M3 6MT
    Alpine White E90 M3 6MT
    Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3 Coupe 6MT
    Jet Black E36 325is S52 5MT
    Lagoon Green E36 325is 5MT

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    Quote Originally Posted by KaivSD View Post
    Could you elaborate on how to nicely paint the vanos cover like that ?

thanks !
    You can tell by the overspray on the valve cover bolts that he just taped around it and covered the rest of the engine bay with paper/cloth and just sprayed away. I recommend removing it, spraying the whole thing, and then replacing the valve cover gasket while you are at it.

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

///MTree is offline Awaiting Email Verification
    My Cars
    Yes
    Nice job on the lights. Is the hood itself rusted or is it oxidized? It looks like it is oxidized but it seems like the edges have completely lost the paint. A little elbow grease and it should be up to shape =D.

My Cars
    1997 328i sedan (sold)
    What is Plastic X rated for as far as heat? Almost any clear lacquer isn't going to last long at all in front of a light bulb and a wax would be even worse. You would have been better off just sanding it to 10,000 grit.

I have done it before. Go 600, 1000 wet , 1500 wet, 2000 wet then switch to 10,000 grit paste. The stuff I used was blue. It feels like toothpaste. Use a soft cloth to apply it like you are waxing a car. Do not apply a clear coat over it! At 10,000 grit it will be crystal clear and super smooth.

The only thing I WOULD spray on a plastic lens like that would be a UV protectant that they use for motorcycle windshields. It will keep it from yellowing in the Arizona sun.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Wow, those turned out fantastic.

The engine looks great too. What process did you use to clean the engine bay?

Thanks.

My Cars
    Evo MR
    I just don't understand how he was actually getting any light through the covers in the first place, I'm sure he loves driving at night now that he can actually see the signs and such. I'm not going to hate on his car, like you mentioned before, not everyone can afford "nicer" things in life and at least he's being part of the BMW family!!

BTW, did you take off his front bumper cover or is his just missing? If he doesn't have one then everyone, lets through in a couple bucks and try and find this man a used bumper that way at least he has 95% of his car!

Oh yeah, you did a heck of a job on those lights.

My Cars
    2002 MCS
    If you have a compressor, I would put out some money on a spray gun and learn to paint on that bad boy. Worst case, you would get some drips/orange peel. If you were near PA I would say come out because I have always wanted to learn but never had a donor car.

Props on keeping Karma on your side though I always help people out as much as possible and I like to think it pays off.
    there - adverb: "look over there" ~|~ their - pronoun: "they left their keys" ~|~ they're -contraction of they are: "they're very good drivers"

Brake: a device to slow or stop a vehicle
    Break: to smash, split, or divide into pieces

My Cars
    '13 M3 Coupe
    That's an impressive transformation on those headlights!
    2013 BMW M3 Coupe : Interlagos Blue : Silver Norvillo : 6MT : Competition Package
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    pics of M3

My Cars
    '14 GLK250, '13 Abarth
    Mad props. What's with the hood??? Is that faded paint or rust?

1999 Cosmos Black/Dove Grey BMW ///M3 convertible - 5 speed - SOLD

2005 Atlantic Blue Pearl/Taupe Leather Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon - 5 speed
    - SOLD

2014 Tenorite Grey/Black Mercedes-Benz GLK 250 - bone stock.

2013 Bianco/Rosso Abarth 500c - 5 speed

2016 Oxford White/Grey Ford Transit 250 Powerstroke 148 MR (DIY RV conversion)

My Cars
    ESS 625++
    nice job on the lights,
    paint the whole car flat black
    ESS 625
    RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    phenominal work my friend!!! its nice to know this forum has people like you willing to extend your help....really man its awsome of you to help somone out!!!

Keep it up and if I ever have anything for sale that you want remind me of this situation and I'll give you a super super discount!

Perservarance

My Cars
    99 Estoril Blue M3, and stuff...
    This guy is doing something quite honorable that many young folks wouldn't bother doing, he's actually getting a car that he wants & is willing to put the work into making it the car he really wants.

Others might go get a loan & a ricer ride....

Kudos to him for taking on the project, and I think this is the best way to really appreciate any car, put a ton of work into making it what it is, and then respect the amount of work that went into getting it that way, by keeping it in great shape.

He has a fair amount of work ahead, but with friends like you who are willing to help out, he'll get there.

Good for you SB for helping the guy out!

Nice post, by the way.

1999 Estoril Blue ///M3 with common mods to the car, and driver training mods to the driver. It's a safe, intelligent, and fun combination. Member of our local BMW Club Driver Training Team.

My Cars
    S54 and S62
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaBimma View Post
    yes. First, take off both engine & fuel rail covers, then sand down the vanos cover with 60 grit, then 150 grit sand paper, then get Duplicolor's Low gloss black engine enamel. Mask off all the neighboring areas with 3M blue painters tape & newspaper, then do two light coats followed buy one medium coat. It comes out looking really good and its a good strong durable finish. Makes it looks like the newer M52 engines with the black vanos covers. Hope that helps.
    Definitly helps, thanks for your explanations !
    I will be doing that on my crappy looking cover

Quote Originally Posted by Robstah View Post
    You can tell by the overspray on the valve cover bolts that he just taped around it and covered the rest of the engine bay with paper/cloth and just sprayed away. I recommend removing it, spraying the whole thing, and then replacing the valve cover gasket while you are at it.
    Good eye! thanks for the advice, I think I might just do like SupaBimma for now and we'll see how it comes out
    Current:
    Alpine White E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Titanium Silver E39 540i Touring M-Sport S62 6MT

Past:
    Alpine White E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
    Interlagos Blue E85 Z4 M Roadster 6MT
    Le Mans Blue E92 M3 6MT
    Japan Red E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Estoril Blue Individual E46 M3 Coupe 6MT
    Cosmos Black E36 M3 Coupe S54 6MT
    Alpine White E92 M3 6MT
    Alpine White E90 M3 6MT
    Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3 Coupe 6MT
    Jet Black E36 325is S52 5MT
    Lagoon Green E36 325is 5MT

My Cars
    Stuff
    just did this on my camry, and DAM!!! the road is sooo much brighter now, no joke i couldnt see shit before, and now i feel like the lights are actualy doing something! I am very happy i ran across this thread. Btw i used brasso right after i wet sanded to 1,000 Grit. It seems to hold up good so far. Ill have to go find 10,000 grit sandpaper, and some of the meguiers stuff, but homedepot didnt carry anything past 600grit, and 1,000 Harbor Frieght had. Maybe autozone.... thanks bro!

My Cars
    98 m3/4/5, 2000 323i
    how long does this whole procedure take?

My Cars
    '99 Dakar M3 '09 SpGy M5
    Hmmm.....paint looks like Byzanz.

Anyways, that's awesome that he knows someone like you to get this done for him.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    looks great... Its good to bring out the new in an old car..
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    Bay Area Rapid Transit
    please update on this project! i like things like this

i started with a crap M3 that didnt run and now its nice

perhaps just sand off all the paint and run with bare metal like the delorean? that would be pretty unique/badass

or a homemade flat black. havent seen anyone do that on these!

ps. i did the same thing to my headlights except with 3m Rubbing compound (but without any sanding)

before:

after:

still looking for a lip, grill, foglights, and a few other things

anyone got a driver side brake duct?
    Last edited by mkiv98; 11-01-2006 at 08:40 PM. Reason: added pics

My Cars
    Bay Area Rapid Transit
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaBimma View Post
    not really, didn't take much work at all. why waste $50 when u can do it for about $5. Its not a parts car, its a car that he drives, yes it drives and believe it or not it drives increadibly well. its mechanically bulletproof, just needed some TLC thats all. Remember not everyone has alot of money. I don't hold it against people who cannot afford a nicer car so lets not be judgemental and at least be supportive of him (dunno maybe im just nicer than most bmw drivers i guess). I just wanted to show all the E36 guys who are wasting lotta $$ on trying to find "mint" headlights that EVER car has a set of mint headlights already on them just waiting to come out (cheezy I know but you get the point).
    maybe find a wrecked M3 parts car and start swapping over! then again, those things arent essential unless you really really want it

My Cars
    '92 525i Touring, '98 Z3 1.9
    SupaBimma- BIG props to you. You're a good guy and a good friend to your bud. If you have a lot of patience, look into the $50 paint job for his car. You never know!
    sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    After seeing this my respect for you has multiplied infinitely.

I will definately keep this guide in mind when I clean my headlights over winter break (next week!).

Not related but on a side note: Can anyone recommend any good HID or HID-like bulbs that fit in the standard US spec headlights? I'm looking to upgrade the brightness without dumping too much on a complete HID/Xenon kit.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ripe Punani View Post
    After seeing this my respect for you has multiplied infinitely.

I will definately keep this guide in mind when I clean my headlights over winter break (next week!).

Not related but on a side note: Can anyone recommend any good HID or HID-like bulbs that fit in the standard US spec headlights? I'm looking to upgrade the brightness without dumping too much on a complete HID/Xenon kit.
    best you can get is hid matched bulbs, which in my personal opinion, reminds me of ricers, trying to act like they have something they don't. Only way to get HID bulbs is to get projectors. Well you might be able to wire them into non projector lights, but you will just be scattering light, and be a dick to everyone on the road.

Contact Matt @ Umnitza
    email: info@umnitza
    username: umnitza

He can steer you towards hid matched bulbs, just nice brighter halogens, or tell you about different projectors (with or without hids).
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast