Thread: HELP! car wont start AGAIN!

taseal is offline Member Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    '08 4x2 Patriot

HELP! car wont start AGAIN!

ok, about 3 months ago my car stopped working.... it was cranking but it would not start... we thought it was the fuel pump, so we replaced it with another 'used' pump... it didnt do it, pump still would not prime or pump fuel... but when you directly wired it up to the batt. it would pump... we eventually found out that the crank pos sensor was bad so we replaced with another 'used' one and car started up as if there was nothign wrong with it... it lasted for about 3 weeks or so and it started doing it again, car would just stall out of nowhere, not start and I finally had it towed to a mechanic. There he changed the fuel pump and relays to brand new one this time, and car ran fine until the next day where it just stalled while I was driving, then in a matter of minutes started back up again and started driving, then once a week or two it would do the same problem, I would just bang on the fuel pump and car would start again... as of yesterday it started doing it about twice a day, and finally today it did it 3-4 times adn the last time it did it, car wouldnt start back up again... sort of like back to square one....

now here is what i'm thinking....

the Crank pos sensor i got was a POS (used one) and it just failed again... unfortunetly, I ahve no way of checking to see if it works or not, so i'll just have to replace it.... car also would stutter time to time which is a hint to bad crank pos sensor... what confuses me though is that, the last time I had a bad crank pos sensor, fuel would not prime either (or even pump) right now the fuel is priming, and pumping, but car still wont start...

so what do you think it is guys?

tommorow (well today) I will start by changing the plugs (worth a shot) and then moving onto the crank pos sensor... if that doesnt do it, i'll be very upset
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianbiz View Post
    I <3 j00 cause your threads are win.

My Cars
    '08 4x2 Patriot
    well?

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Was it a bmw crank sensor or an aftermarket one?

My Cars
    95 Cosmos M3...
    I think I would try a new crank position sensor first.

My Cars
    Hellrot
    good luck I am having this same problem

I went through everything you did+
    cleaned the maf
    cleaned the ICV
    changed the fuel pump to a brand new one
    changed all the spark plugs
    changed the crank positioning sensor or knock sensor with a new one
    changed the throttle positioning sensor with a new one
    rebuilt alternator
    Changed fuel pump relay

Now
    going to check all coils
    going to change the fuel filter
    going to change fuel pressure regulator
    going to change the injectors all if necessary

Did you do a code check, turn the car to accesssory position and hit the gas pedal five times within five minutes and cout the blinking check engine light.
    EXAMPLE flash flash pause flash flash pause flash pause flash means 2211

I got a 1111 or ignition failure code or ignition problems

My Cars
    '90 318is
    i had a similar problem recently. did you guys check your alts and starters? hope its not your starter because that is the hardest thing to do on an E36. that is its biggest downfall. shit is so tight and far away you havae to take off the exhaust, drive shaft and partially drop the tranny, cuz its on the tranny at a very strange spot. fuckin sux

My Cars
    '08 4x2 Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by neurot75 View Post
    i had a similar problem recently. did you guys check your alts and starters? hope its not your starter because that is the hardest thing to do on an E36. that is its biggest downfall. shit is so tight and far away you havae to take off the exhaust, drive shaft and partially drop the tranny, cuz its on the tranny at a very strange spot. fuckin sux

I really dont wanna be an ass, and i'd like to thank everyone for the support but, how the hell can it be a starter if I said the car is turning over?

My Cars
    1994 320i
    Starter going bad will draw more current causing voltage drop, detected by DME it will dump extra fuel and flood the engine.
    Check fuel pressure (static and running), delivery rate and residual pressure.

My Cars
    2 BMWs & 2 Classics
    could it be your battery terminal connection?