Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official TSI turbo kit review thread

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw

Official TSI turbo kit review thread

Well it's been a while and the kit has been tested. I have learned a helll of a lot from all you guys here and reading through the old threads. Turbo install started just before Christmas 2005 and I started driving it in May. Working full time and being a university student had a lot to do with it taking so long. Waiting for parts to clear customs also contributed to that, as did waiting for them to actually manufacture the parts.

Introduction:

I was the tester for the TSI Extreme Plus kit that Jesse @ Turbo-kits.com sells. After receiving an excellent deal, I started the install by tapping the oil pan, which I really don't want to get into. Let's just say it's not fun, especially when you haven't done one before.

Inside Oil pan.JPG
    Picture 136.jpg

Also, here's proof that no matter how high you tap the oil pan, it's not above the oil level.
    Picture 403.jpg

Somewhere after going to Hawaii for the first time ever and doing the oil pan/lines/fittings/etc/etc, I started on the manifold which was a complete bitch to do the first time. Trying to get some of those nuts on the exhuast studs was practically impossible without improvising. So for anyone who is planning on installing a TSI manifold while the head's still on (even with the updated version)...have fun. Basically, there's about 6 which won't fit properly unless you grind the nut down, use different nuts or grind the stud to an angle so you can slip the nut on easier (or a combination of all three). The second manifold was much easier as I knew what to do.

After doing the manifold, clocking the turbo about 45 times, I fit the 28x12x3" intercooler. It would NOT fit without modifications to the front bumper or unless I decided to remove the aux fan. I chose to modify the bumper as it needed replacing anyways.

Pic of the fully modified bumper to fit the IC:
    Picture 517.jpg

I cut some meter long m8x1.25 studs to mount the IC, by drilling into the nose panel, threading into the IC inserts then using jam nuts to keep them in place. Not the cleanest method, but it definitely works.

Picture 481.jpg
    Last edited by e36'n; 09-10-2006 at 03:31 AM.
    -Curt

stock CR 92 non-vanos 325 / first ever Holset HY35 powered BMW / custom tubular manifold & motor mount / stock DME tuning / tial 50mm bov / 46mm xspower w.g. / green top injectors / IC piping designed by myself (above subframe of course) / 12x28x3" IC / oil return into pan that seems to work / e21 tranny mounts / custom blow through MAF / koni sport kit / 18x8.5 mvr replica's / various leaks & body colours

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    On to the intercooler piping now.

With the first manifold and spacer it was A BITCH to get above the subframe, which I have to do as I live where the roads aren't great to say the least. Here's some more recent pics of how the piping looks now:

DSC00024.JPG

piping.JPG

After the pre-intercooler piping, I did the post IC piping which took a lot of work. I had to cut the supplied pipes so many times to make it fit.

Post IC piping:
    muffler 043.jpg

muffler 040.jpg

After that installed the extra injector block and the fuel programmer, or injunction control unit as the gf calls it. I'm really impressed with the extra injector block, as it fits perfectly and is very high quality. The only negative is that makes that TB arm rub the TB boot, so you have to pull/brace the MAF towards the drivers side fender as much as possible. I used some heavy duty cable ties so it wouldn't rub. Worked fine for me.

muffler 041.jpg
    -Curt

stock CR 92 non-vanos 325 / first ever Holset HY35 powered BMW / custom tubular manifold & motor mount / stock DME tuning / tial 50mm bov / 46mm xspower w.g. / green top injectors / IC piping designed by myself (above subframe of course) / 12x28x3" IC / oil return into pan that seems to work / e21 tranny mounts / custom blow through MAF / koni sport kit / 18x8.5 mvr replica's / various leaks & body colours

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    Two notes:

- Venting the crankcase back into the intake hose was a HORRIBLE idea. So much damn oil on my fresh pipes and IC. Now I have it going into a catch can/filter thing that drips. I'll be using a catch can with a filter on the top of it when I get a chance to change everything around.

- To my surprise, I didn't need to add that much fuel with the extra injector controller. With the controller you can either add fuel based on boost or rpm points. I only had to add fuel from 3000 rpms and up according to my afr's when I was datalogging with my zeitronix wideband. The 10:1 rrfpr had something to do with this I'm sure.

My impression:

With the new manifold this kit would be worth it as long as it's the least expensive (or one of the) around. With the stock chip and the absence of a knock sensor in my 92, I was scared of detonating, but I didn't actually have a problem that I noticed. I was using Husky 94 w/10% ethanol, which some local tuners advise against opting for Shell 91. Worked for me though at the psi.

With the stock chip and only the TSI fuel management, I gained 75whp and 71wtq with a small amount of boost from this kit. I set the wastegate for 6psi, but by peak torque it was at about 5.2psi and at peak hp 4.2psi. I still don't know why the huge boost fall off, but I have to attribute it to the weak spring in the internal w/g.

The turbo I'm using is a GT 2871r 0.86 a/r with the T25/28 style turbine housing. 2" pre IC piping, 2.5" post IC piping, stock MAF in a blow through setup.

Here's the SAE corrected dyno and thanks for looking. I'm out of town for the next couple days, so I won't be able to reply if there's any questions until the end of the week.

Big thanks to Jesse @ turbo-kits.com, Doug @ TSI, AlpinawhiteM3, Techno550, Highboostingm3, Def, Byron and all the other bimmerforum members who helped me along the road and made this possible.

dyno3.JPG
    Last edited by e36'n; 09-19-2006 at 02:14 PM.
    -Curt

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    Bump.

Anyone have anything to say?
    -Curt

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Not too shabby...question is, are you happy with it? Maybe see if you can get AA or NickG to remote tune it and get to the 250rwhp/rwtq. I bet it is in that car!

If I was a e36 3 series owner, I probably wouldn't hesitate to pick one up...seems pretty reliable setup.
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    95 Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    Maybe see if you can get AA or NickG to remote tune it and get to the 250rwhp/rwtq. I bet it is in that car!
    Or how about Techno550 ?

Great job on the writeup. I always knew that oil level was above any spot that you can tap the oil pan. You just showed us some proof of that.
    R.I.P.
    95 Daytona Violet TURBO M3/2

Dove Alcantara/ Dark Grey Leather

My Cars
    e36 dd
    at least he had the balls to try a new kit.

My Cars
    94 325 always in pieces
    Seems like a decent setup, i'll have to look into this sometime!

My Cars
    02' M3 & '98 M3/4
    Did I miss something the dyno graph doesn't show much of a gain?

Edit: Forgot that this is not an M3 thats an awesome gain, very nice! the power curve looks like that of a modded M3
    Last edited by BaLLZacK; 09-18-2006 at 12:29 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3/4/5 & E46 LSB M3
    are you upgrading the kit?
    1997 BMW ///M3 - Estoril Sedan 5MT - M-Rain Interior (1 of 1)
    2001 BMW ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue 6MT
    YouTube: (///Motorsport Throttle)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUM...pYSmibzy5YmUvQ

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    Not too shabby...question is, are you happy with it? Maybe see if you can get AA or NickG to remote tune it and get to the 250rwhp/rwtq. I bet it is in that car!

If I was a e36 3 series owner, I probably wouldn't hesitate to pick one up...seems pretty reliable setup.

Definitely happy with it except for that the boost falls off towards the redline. I've tried different wastegates and I have to assume that it will continue until I retrofit an external w/g on. The spring in the internal is probably too soft. I sourced the vacuum signal from the manifold and it didn't change anything either.

As for tuning, I can fully program the obdI DME's especially the 402. I'm sure I'm over the 250 mark with 8 psi and the tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by JLac View Post
    Great job on the writeup. I always knew that oil level was above any spot that you can tap the oil pan. You just showed us some proof of that.
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by salvia.D View Post
    at least he had the balls to try a new kit.
    Tell me about it. It took about five months to get everything fitted properly and that was before I had to test the new manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Maul View Post
    are you upgrading the kit?
    I'm putting in my 42lb injectors, a Tial 50mm BOV, new tuning and an AEM FPR (if the ebay seller stops avoiding me and sends it out).
    -Curt

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Q: Did all that end up costing more than $4500?
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    Q: Did all that end up costing more than $4500?
    Without including the exhaust work yes, but I got a deal as the tester. Do I get a spot in the tried and tested hall of fame now?
    -Curt

My Cars
    '01 Mcoupe / '16 Golf R
    will artwar tune your car? I'm curious to see what this kit can do with a solid 6 or 7 psi.

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneller Bayer View Post
    will artwar tune your car? I'm curious to see what this kit can do with a solid 6 or 7 psi.
    Artwar and I will both be tuning it like we have all along. I'll probably run 8.5psi on the stock HG with 91 pump gas.
    -Curt

My Cars
    t67 328is - KIA
    swweetttttttt
    M52 Power! 500whp?, ? ft/lbs
    Mods:8.5:1 CP pistons, Eagle rods, S52 cams, M50 intake manifold, Eurosport High Performance underdrive pullies, 3.23 lsd, ZKW's w. DDE, BBS RC's 18x8.5, Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sport springs, Eibach sway bars, BMW Motorsports x-brace, pwr 57mm rad, stewart high performance water pump, 6000k prolumen hid's, m tech kit

custom turbo: sias tuning tec3, t67 ho, spa turbo manifold, 24x12x3 ebay intercooler, 750 cc low impedence injectors, arp head studs, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, hks ezII evc, tial 50mm bov, tial 40mm wastegate, plx m250 wideband o2, cartech motor mount, turbowerx oil scavenge pump, spa gauges

My Cars
    95 M3 from 2004-2011
    on post #2, pics 3 and 4, what is the regulator looking thing to the right of the BOV and covered in orange rtv looking stuff? thanks

JOEY

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshow View Post
    on post #2, pics 3 and 4, what is the regulator looking thing to the right of the BOV and covered in orange rtv looking stuff? thanks

JOEY
    A RRFPR that I had to JB weld and use sealant to ensure there were no vacuum/boost leaks.
    -Curt

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by e36'n View Post
    Do I get a spot in the tried and tested hall of fame now?
    You are added. It's easy to let things slip so I am glad you reminded me.
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    Sparkling Graphite '95 325is
    Great job being the tester, but I think it looks horrible with the bumper cut up and a huge exposed IC... Too bad you can't do something about that.
    Click signature for pictures:

My Cars
    Modded Saab 900+
    Congrats on the install....

A couple of question, though:

If you're only putting out 8 psi, then why the huge IC? That size core will support flow for twice as many CFMs as you're likely to see. You could have gone smaller easily, but was there another reason? A future turbo upgrade?

Which leads to question 2: Since the GT28 and GT30 have the same size housings (and cost about the same) then why stick with the smaller turbo?

My Cars
    t67 328is - KIA
    Quote Originally Posted by uber e36 View Post
    Great job being the tester, but I think it looks horrible with the bumper cut up and a huge exposed IC... Too bad you can't do something about that.
    it actually does not look that bad in person. looks pretty mean.
    M52 Power! 500whp?, ? ft/lbs
    Mods:8.5:1 CP pistons, Eagle rods, S52 cams, M50 intake manifold, Eurosport High Performance underdrive pullies, 3.23 lsd, ZKW's w. DDE, BBS RC's 18x8.5, Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sport springs, Eibach sway bars, BMW Motorsports x-brace, pwr 57mm rad, stewart high performance water pump, 6000k prolumen hid's, m tech kit

custom turbo: sias tuning tec3, t67 ho, spa turbo manifold, 24x12x3 ebay intercooler, 750 cc low impedence injectors, arp head studs, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, hks ezII evc, tial 50mm bov, tial 40mm wastegate, plx m250 wideband o2, cartech motor mount, turbowerx oil scavenge pump, spa gauges

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    Quote Originally Posted by highboostingm3 View Post
    You are added. It's easy to let things slip so I am glad you reminded me.
    Thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by uber e36 View Post
    I'll be removing the aux fan and putting on either a mesh grill, a winter junk bumper or my M-bumper before winter.

I actually always get complements and thumbs up from the locals. I didn't want to remove the aux fan during the summer so this worked fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
    Congrats on the install....

A couple of question, though:

If you're only putting out 8 psi, then why the huge IC? That size core will support flow for twice as many CFMs as you're likely to see. You could have gone smaller easily, but was there another reason? A future turbo upgrade?

Which leads to question 2: Since the GT28 and GT30 have the same size housings (and cost about the same) then why stick with the smaller turbo?
    I had three IC options being the TSI tester. One was a 24x3x6.5 core and the other was 24x2x9 and they were both tube and fin, compared to this one which was bar and plate. Either of those would have sufficed, but I figured in the long run this would work best for my goals (350-400whp, bigger turbo, external gate, etc).

I didn't really have much of a choice for the turbo, although I think I could have gone with a GT2876r instead. I actually really like this turbo and it suits the 2.5L quite well. This turbo would be efficient up to 17 or 18psi on the 2.5L.

Quote Originally Posted by byron View Post
    it actually does not look that bad in person. looks pretty mean.
    Thanks bro. Not quite the sleeper look like yours, but it'll do for now
    -Curt

My Cars
    BLK E39 540/6 95 AVUS M3
    awesome.
    how do you tune a stock ecu and how hard is it?

Chad Andreo Photography
    Engine: CAI, Catless and Dinan Exhaust
    Exterior: Slammed on FK Coilovers, 6K HIDS and 6K CCFL's, M5 Front Bumper, M5 Side Mirrors
    Interior: Sound System, ZHP Knob

My Cars
    E36 M3/4/5 & E46 LSB M3
    your piping looks way different than mine. It seems like your hot pipe is opposite to the charge pipe on my set up.
    1997 BMW ///M3 - Estoril Sedan 5MT - M-Rain Interior (1 of 1)
    2001 BMW ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue 6MT
    YouTube: (///Motorsport Throttle)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUM...pYSmibzy5YmUvQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast