Thread: For those running custom wiring/coil packs

My Cars
    BMWs

For those running custom wiring/coil packs

I had an issue with my car running with the key removed. All of the people I talked to (EE guys on MSEfi.com) thought that I was getting feedback from the alternator over the +12v line, but I noticed the car has an uncoupling diode over the charge indicator line by default, so adding a diode would be pointless. So I just woke up and was about to add a seperate relay for the coils to see if it was coil related or main relay related. I was powering EVERYTHING from the main relay (LC-1, MS, Coils, Knock box). I was paging thru wiring diagrams this morning as I sloooooowly woke up after a concert last night and saw that the coil packs get their power from pin 56 (ign turn on) at the ecu, NOT the main relay as some people had suggested. So, I cut the coil packs +12v from the main relay, spliced into the Pin 56 (IGN Crank and Run) and presto, car shuts off with the key

Just a heads up for people doing more than the conventional install.

My Cars
    Magnum R/T & Volvo 760 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by UrineMachine View Post
    I had an issue with my car running with the key removed. All of the people I talked to (EE guys on MSEfi.com) thought that I was getting feedback from the alternator over the +12v line, but I noticed the car has an uncoupling diode over the charge indicator line by default, so adding a diode would be pointless. So I just woke up and was about to add a seperate relay for the coils to see if it was coil related or main relay related. I was powering EVERYTHING from the main relay (LC-1, MS, Coils, Knock box). I was paging thru wiring diagrams this morning as I sloooooowly woke up after a concert last night and saw that the coil packs get their power from pin 56 (ign turn on) at the ecu, NOT the main relay as some people had suggested. So, I cut the coil packs +12v from the main relay, spliced into the Pin 56 (IGN Crank and Run) and presto, car shuts off with the key

Just a heads up for people doing more than the conventional install.
    Thats interseting someone told you to run coilpacks off a relay. My friend is running Chevy LS1 coils on his volvo and runs everything straight off the MS2 box.

How are you like MS so far? I didnt think that many people with BMW's would try MS.
    Quote Originally Posted by M3zie
    But if I strap a turbo to my lawnmower and ride it around calling it my daily driver, is it cool?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted2003 View Post
    Thats interseting someone told you to run coilpacks off a relay. My friend is running Chevy LS1 coils on his volvo and runs everything straight off the MS2 box.

How are you like MS so far? I didnt think that many people with BMW's would try MS.
    You're confused - I run my coils off the MS box as well.. the coil TRIGGERs... the coils need +12v power though.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    are u still running the honda coils? no bmw coils yet?

My Cars
    BMWs
    Honda coils? No - GM HEI coils.
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 09-03-2006 at 09:38 PM.