Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Replace your O2 Sensor for $35

My Cars
    97 Z3, 94 E36, 73 E3
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveUlysses View Post
    Hahaha, where do people come up with this shit? Please, show me a reputable source that describes what a "breathable" wire is.

Also, why would a wire doing any sensing in this application? The only purpose of the wire is to transmit a voltage to the ECU.

could there be ANY truth to the no solder stance?

I didnt believe it either, but..... according to a few sites on the net, it appears that some models of O2 sensors compare the pipe air with air that comes through the connector....

i searched manufacturers websites and didnt find anything about it specifically, but i did notice very elaborate connnectors that were water and etc proof. maybe there was (at one time something to this) maybe not.

i would offer this.. you can find crimping connectors that contain solder in the crimp and those would affect this as well, so i think this may not be true.

just to be sure, if you get the bosch universal O2 sensor, they have a very effective connector that makes this point moot.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/NR/rdo...nectSystem.pdf

My Cars
    '95 BMW 325i E36, 97 BMW 328i E36
    is youre cel still on? i want to do this on mine and im not sure what wires connect to which. i dont have a black grey and two whites.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    I would also like to know how the red black white yellow wires are supposed to be hooked up. I did it, and I am throwing a CEL code for p0170...

this is the way I set up the wires

Red on the car to White on the plug.
    White on the car to white on the plug.
    Black on the car to Black on the plug.
    Yellow on the car to Grey on the plug.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by ruprectgern View Post
    could there be ANY truth to the no solder stance?

I didnt believe it either, but..... according to a few sites on the net, it appears that some models of O2 sensors compare the pipe air with air that comes through the connector....

i searched manufacturers websites and didnt find anything about it specifically, but i did notice very elaborate connnectors that were water and etc proof. maybe there was (at one time something to this) maybe not.

i would offer this.. you can find crimping connectors that contain solder in the crimp and those would affect this as well, so i think this may not be true.

just to be sure, if you get the bosch universal O2 sensor, they have a very effective connector that makes this point moot.

http://www.boschautoparts.com/NR/rdo...nectSystem.pdf
    O2 sensors compare the air inside the exhaust to that directly outside of the and convert that value to a signal for the ECU.

The wires don't "breathe" or anything silly like that (I know you didn't make the original statement)

My Cars
    '97 Z3 '96 Boosted Miata '02 Burban '06 Sentra
    you can solder or crimp the wires, no problem.

Mekram, I responded to your PM

this is official by my BMW dealership as the way to install the 02...

Carl
    Looking for: E39 touring manual
    Sold: '97 Z3 w/2.8l + 5spd

My Cars
    318i DASC@10psi SOLD
    O2 sensors compare the air inside the exhaust to that directly outside of the and convert that value to a signal for the ECU.
    Nope it only samples precat exhaust to adjust the AFR.

My Cars
    01 330Ci
    OK GUYS, I am in need of 4 sensors at $145 each at dealer NO WAY...
    I have an 01 330 Ci? Should I try this will it work on my car, because I haven't see any e46 listed here.

-Thanks
    2001 BMW 330Ci - Picked up 12/9/2007
    In Progress:
    Sports Package - Premium Package - Cold Weather Package.
    Needs:
    4 Shocks/Struts - 2 Front Rotors - Pads All Round - 4 New Tires
    Plans:
    Change Rear Bumper - Possible 3.91 Diff

My Cars
    95 Hellrot M3/02 MY Z06
    Quote Originally Posted by 00323i View Post
    OK GUYS, I am in need of 4 sensors at $145 each at dealer NO WAY...
    I have an 01 330 Ci? Should I try this will it work on my car, because I haven't see any e46 listed here.

-Thanks

Search this guys ebay store, he has them for E46's and most every BMW.

http://myworld.ebay.com/global-automotive/

John
    '95 Hellrot M3 w/Dove
    AA Euro HFM Stage II (w/21# Injectors & Software) W/Gen III Exhaust - URI Crank Pully - FDM w/3 Row M Coupe Rad - 3.23 LSD - Vogtland Club Spec/Koni SA - UUC Red w/Enforcers - TMS Shims/Rear Camber Bars w/QA1 inners/Sways - VMC F/TMS R End Links - X-Brace - Perf Ultimate/SS Brake Lines - GC Tower Mounts/RTAB Shims - ZKW's w/5000K Hid - Fog Delete - Alpine 9847/Pioneer TS-C130R Kevlar Components/Pioneer PRS-X340/Stealth Box's/Wired Zune 120GB - OE LTW CF Sills/Glove Box Plate - Staggered Black M-Spoke II's w/235/40 (front), 255/40 (Rear) Nitto NT05's - Rolled Fenders!

***Got a '95 M3? (actually pretty common on all years! Even happened to Racer Seth Thomas! ) Check Your LSD! http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390209

My Cars
    '92 325i, '94 325i (wrecked)
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfdawg View Post
    Hey all, in Vancouver BC, we need to pass emissions testing every year before the Government will sell you registration for your ride.

When my '94 318 vert failed emissions last year, I told the indy shop owner, a good friend of mine, to use the econoline O2 sensor instead of the BMW one. My CEL light went off, and my ride appeared to be perfect but I still failed emissions at ICBC. My CO2 levels were two times higher than acceptable and my CO levels were three times the acceptable limit.

Took the car back to the shop and installed an OEM one and went back to do the emissions test next day. Passed the emissions test with flying colours. Emissions were only at 70% of acceptable limits.

Shop owner explained to me that the sensors send a specific voltage for a specific parameter. The OEM sensors are tuned specifically for that engine and very rarely does it ever work for a different engine. The OBD that triggers the CEL trouble light doesn't look for the right sensor, (it assumes you are intelligent enough as a mechanic to use the proper one) it looks for a fault in the sensor. The system may not be working properly just because the CEL light doesn't illuminate...It just means there's no fault with the sensor.

In short, using the universal sensor or a Ford sensor, or any other sensor will not truly remedy the incorrect combustion problem, it just shuts off the CEL for you. Using a different sensor than the OEM one will either force your engine to burn rich or lean without triggering the O2 fault light which in the long run will cause you more $$ to fix than the $30 bucks you save per sensor.

hope that helps
    what??? the only difference between the econoline, e-bay and oem sensors are what type of connector is on there, other than that they are the same spec o2 sensor, i.e., same physical dimensions and same output voltage.

and to the other poster re: comparison of outside air, that is wrong. sensor measures absolute o2 level.

I used the econoline sensor and it worked like a charm.

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by black318i View Post
    Nope it only samples precat exhaust to adjust the AFR.
    Quote Originally Posted by martin01 View Post
    and to the other poster re: comparison of outside air, that is wrong. sensor measures absolute o2 level.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor

The sensor element is a ceramic cylinder plated inside and out with porous platinum electrodes; the whole assembly is protected by a metal gauze. It operates by measuring the difference in oxygen between the exhaust gas and the external air, and generates a voltage or changes its resistance depending on the difference between the two.

My Cars
    '99 M3, '94 318IC
    Quote Originally Posted by martin01 View Post
    what??? the only difference between the econoline, e-bay and oem sensors are what type of connector is on there, other than that they are the same spec o2 sensor, i.e., same physical dimensions and same output voltage.

I used the econoline sensor and it worked like a charm.
    No, it isn't, like I said, using a sensor other than OEM specific will shunt the CEL because the DME detects fault in the sensors not whether you have the right sensor. The AFR ratio of 14.7:1 is pretty much standard for O2 sensors as well as the 1 volt span. What is engine specific is at what voltage the sensor sends to the DME to tell it that the 14.7:1 ratio is achieved. Is it 0.3 volts for the AFR or is it 0.5 volts...that is the specific tuning.

At the end of the day, run what you want, it's your car, your equipment, your damage.

My Cars
    318i DASC@10psi SOLD
    I find this extremely hard to believe, in fact I don't believe it for 3 reasons.

1. Why would you need to sample outside air to calculate a ratio of exhaust gases.
    2. Looking at an O2 sensor I don't see where it can pick up a sample of outside air.

3. If the O2 sensor does in fact sample outside air why are most of them underneath the car where the sample and or sensor can easily become contaminated.
    Last edited by black318i; 01-25-2008 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Reason #3

My Cars
    i have an extra 15718 if any wnats want to buy it. hit me up. its brandnew

My Cars
    THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    you can solder or crimp the wires, no problem.

Mekram, I responded to your PM

this is official by my BMW dealership as the way to install the 02...

My Cars
    '92 325i, '94 325i (wrecked)
    , that is hilarious sh*t

so it samples the outside air to determine that it is 21% oxygen!!!!

gimme a break!

Edit: damn, time to take my foot out of my mouth, serves me right, oh well learn something new everyday

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/framed.../o2sensor.html

"It is important to remember that the
    O2 sensor is comparing the amount of Oxygen inside and outside
    the engine. If the outside of the sensor should become blocked,
    or coated with oil, sound insulation, undercoating or antifreeze,
    (among other things), this comparison is not possible."
    Last edited by martin01; 02-05-2008 at 03:01 AM.

My Cars
    E46 330i
    This was an easy job to do. I <3 RobertK.

My Cars
    car
    FYI: Bosch part #'s 15717 and 15716 are the same as bosch15718 but with a shorter wire lead. ANY of the 3 can be used.

These O2 sensors are also used on the Vanquish!

My Cars
    E36, GSXR750, CRF50
    anyone figured anything about the odb2 cars? i have a 328is and would like to do this.

My Cars
    1999 328 iC; 2000 C5 Coupe
    I think they got it wrong here. The O2 sensor reads the oxygen in the exhaust. That is it. The computer may compare that reading with an intake sensor such as a MAF sensor, but I doubt that. The computer will adjust the fuel and spark based on many sensors. The O2 sensor is one of them. With out the O2 sensor the computer is just running on predetermined maps. A bad O2 sensor will let the computer think it's running right when it's not.

My Cars
    '97 328ic Slushbox

Who knows ??

Here's the BEST site I've found for what you need in an O2 sensor, with cross-references. Prices however are (thumbs down).
    Especially good since it identifies which BMWs use the Titania Sensor.
    Site also includes PHOTOS of which wires go to which - when using a universal type sensor! (Look around under wire colors)

http://www.lambdasensor.com/main/mindex.htm --or--- LINK

EDIT: Just found this on the Wiki page - which answers the soldering question - at least for me:
    In automotive applications the titania sensor, unlike the zirconia sensor, does not require a reference sample of atmospheric air to operate properly.
    This makes the sensor assembly easier to design against water contamination.

While most automotive sensors are submersible, zirconia-based sensors require a very small supply of reference air from the atmosphere.
    In theory, the sensor wire harness and connector are sealed.
    Air that leaches through the wire harness to the sensor is assumed to come from an open point in the harness - usually the ECU which is housed in an enclosed space like the trunk or vehicle interior.
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||

There is valid discussion here about soldering the connections -vs- using a crimp connection.
    The site above says solder, but several others say NO solder.
    Since I can make a good connection with a crimp + heat-shrink tubing, I'll go with no solder.
    Soldered connections may work fine since -- if you notice on their installation page, they suggest cutting toward the middle and making total length of leads equal to original.
    If what I've read is correct, the 1/2 length might give enough outside air for sensor to make a comparison. WHO knows??

Here are two spots which say no solder - and why:

(Citation #1)
    http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...olt_divide.htm
    You should never solder a O2 sensor wire because the sensor "will breathe" through the cable. The acceptable method of splicing or repairing O2 wiring is with crimp connectors. This information was from Bosch Technical Staff in Europe. Here is the technical description of why you do not solder the connections on the O2 sensor side of the updated wiring.
    The outside of the bulb is exposed to the hot gases in the exhaust while the inside of the bulb is vented internally through the sensor body to the outside atmosphere. Older style oxygen sensors actually have a small hole in the body shell so air can enter the sensor, but newer style O2 sensors "breathe" through their wire connectors insulation and have no vent hole.
    It's hard to believe, but the tiny amount of space between the insulation/wire and through wire insulation provides enough air to seep into the sensor (for this reason, grease should never be used on O2 sensor leads/connectors because it can block the flow of air). Venting the sensor through the wires rather than with a hole in the body reduces the risk of dirt or water contamination that could foul the sensor from the inside and cause it to eventually fail.
    (Citation #2)
    http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-18.htm
    If you are replacing the O2 Sensor with a universal replacement sensor, you'll have to splice the factory connector plug onto the new sensor. Or if you've order a sensor kit which comes with connectors, you'll have to install the connectors which come with the kit onto the new sensor wires. DO NOT solder the connectors onto the wires. They must be crimped on for the O2 sensor to work correctly. For the sensor to work correctly, it must draw clean air down to the sensor through the air gaps in the stranded wire. If you solder the wires, the solder will fill the air gaps in the wire and the sensor will not work correctly.

Do not use any silicon based chemicals that could become exposed to the O2 sensor. Silicon will contaminate the sensor and it will quit working. Many RTV sealants, gasoline additives, and anti-seize compounds contain silicon so, check the label before you use it.
    Last edited by Riick; 08-14-2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: More Info

My Cars
    1993 318is 2008 535xi
    where were you 2 years ago with this? I ended spending tons of money fixing my O2 problem.
    WTB: 17" M3 rims with tires

My Cars
    '97 328ic Slushbox
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybmw1 View Post
    where were you 2 years ago with this? I ended spending tons of money fixing my O2 problem.
    D@mm !! Sorry about that; 2 yrs ago didn't own my 'vert, some other did.

My Cars
    98 M3 supercharged
    I went searching for these cross-reference #'s only to spend a half-hour reading all these posts with some questions being asked repetitively, only to find there is little information on the OBDII O2 sensors for those of us with such systems. I still didn't see if anyone had tried the 4-wire sensor on the OBDII cars, but I see that Amazon.com has this particular Universal sensor for only $26.20:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/93-06-750li-750il-Oxygen-Sensor/dp/B001JKYSR6/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1226071791&sr =1-18"]http://www.amazon.com/93-06-750li-750il-Oxygen-Sensor/dp/B001JKYSR6/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1226071791&sr =1-18[/ame]

Talk about universal! 1993-2006 M3, M5, 740i, 740il, 750i, 750il. I don't see where it mentions 3 or 4-wire, but for the price it may be worth a try.
    MOTRSPRT

97 318 vert
    98 M3 supercharged
    03 M3 SMG
    07 M6 V10
    2011 Ducati 1198

My Cars
    '97 328ic Slushbox
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTRSPRT View Post
    I went searching for these cross-reference #'s only to spend a half-hour reading all these posts with some questions being asked repetitively, only to find there is little information on the OBDII O2 sensors for those of us with such systems. I still didn't see if anyone had tried the 4-wire sensor on the OBDII cars, but I see that Amazon.com has this particular Universal sensor for only $26.20:

http://www.amazon.com/93-06-750li-75...071791&sr=1-18

Talk about universal! 1993-2006 M3, M5, 740i, 740il, 750i, 750il. I don't see where it mentions 3 or 4-wire, but for the price it may be worth a try.
    Maybe U need to not only read he posts but also the links.

Your M3 most probably needs 4 wire sensors, and IIRC titania sensor. See link in my post above (#169)to see what it needs and then cross reference to that supposedly Universal sensor

My Cars
    POS
    Has anyone done this on an OBDI car and passed smog? (at least in the USA) The post from the guy in Canada has me a little worried, and I want to know if there are any stories that contradict his...

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by black318i View Post
    Cut the wire off of the old one and use a box wrench
    Sounds familiar. It took me hours to get my old sensor off. Ended up driving it over to a relative's garage and heating the exhaust with a torch--as in glowing red hot.

Some of the old threads fused in so I could only get the new sensor in about 75% of the way. Seems to work just fine though and the CEL went off right away.

Makes me wonder if these could have been cross-threaded in production. Something wasn't right that's for sure.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast