Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Replace your O2 Sensor for $35

My Cars
    (x2) 89 325i, 02 325i

Replace your O2 Sensor for $35

For those of you cheap bastids who don't want to pay the BMW pricetag for an O2 sensor this message is for you. I did some research and testing on my 92 325is and found that couple of Ford vehicles use the same basic O2 sensor except with a different connector.

Our cars use a basic 4 Wire heated precat O2. Same O2 sensor that a Ford Econoline 350 Van 5.8L uses. Actually Bosch makes a universal 4 wire O2 kit Bosch Part # 15729. Most auto parts stores carry it in stock but us usually a little more expensive because it comes with some fancy wire connectors.

If that's not cheap enough you can purchase the regular Ford Econoline 350 5.8L O2 Sensor (Bosch Part # 15718) and cut the connector off and splice your old O2 sensor's connector onto it. The wires match right up. 2 Whites, 1 Gray, 1 Black + some butt conectors and some electrical tape and BAM!! a new O2 sensor for $35.

It doesn't matter which white wire you connect to the white wires on the old O2 connector. Used this method once with my E30 with a generic Bosch 3 wire O2 and today with my E36 4 wire. Runs like a champ and guess what.. no more 2.5k-3k hesitation. Car pulls clean through the RPMs.

http://www.1motormart.com/ford~e-350...nsor_year.html

My Cars
    BMW 328i
    nice find that is pretty cheap for a o2 sensor

My Cars
    E36 318is, Suzuki VZ800,DR350,FZR600
    I agree. I just changed mine a week ago and I paid regular price ..You will make a few people happy here

My Cars
    (x2) 89 325i, 02 325i
    If I get a chance I will try to make a DIY with some simple pictures.

My Cars
    good man thanks for the info

My Cars
    94 320i
    so this work with e30 and e36?

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    this is what i did when i replaced my o2 sensors, acutally i think i used NGK 4 wire universals for like 30 bucks a pop

Every journey to a forbidden end begins with the first step; and the danger of such a step by the federal government in the direction of taking over the powers of the states is that the end of the journey may find the states so despoiled of their powers as to reduce them to little more than geographical subdivisions of the national domain.

My Cars
    '08 S2000, '90 Miata
    f* yeah lol
    Last edited by Daved; 08-29-2006 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Profanity

15/115 STS 90' Miata
    15/115 AS 08' S2000 (Retired)

My Cars
    1997 328i sedan (sold)
    this only works for the pre-cat O2 sensors?

My Cars
    93 325i Saloon !
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritalin KId View Post
    If I get a chance I will try to make a DIY with some simple pictures.

DIY FTW !
    1993 BMW 325i Mod list:Replica M-Mirrors|Um-nitza Predator Chromium|M3 Replica Bumper|Clears All Around|Spoiler|Wide Euro Kidney Grille|Bf.c Decal |Clear Fogs|Velocity Splitters|M3 Sport Side Skirts|M-Tec Side Moldings|LTW Flag (hood)|Rieger Infinity 1 Rear Bumper|OCW ACS type III Repo

My Cars
    BMW 325is
    I got the bosch ones from Advance Auto for like $70 that plug right it.... nice find i could have used that extra $35 for BEEEEEERRRRR! what do they cost at the stealership?

My Cars
    (x2) 89 325i, 02 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by AdDiCtIvE 3 View Post
    I got the bosch ones from Advance Auto for like $70 that plug right it.... nice find i could have used that extra $35 for BEEEEEERRRRR! what do they cost at the stealership?
    Too much.. lol.. Auto Zone quoted me $90.91 for a Bosch O2 for my 92 325is. I would say the $tealership would be even more.

so this work with e30 and e36?
    E36 = 4 Wire heated O2

E30 = 3 Wire Heated O2

The trick works on both cars but the E30 required an O2 from a 1990 Mustang 5.0.

The trick is that any 4 wire universal heated pre-cat O2 should work provided the end and threads match up. If someone has a link to the NGK universal kit for $30 please post it up.

My Cars
    '96 ///M 328i
    Too much.. lol.. Auto Zone quoted me $90.91 for a Bosch O2 for my 92 325is. I would say the $tealership would be even more.
    Autozone qouted me $108 for my 96 328i.

Also is this bad to drive with a bad o2 sensor?
    Back on the Boards...New Pic Coming Soon!
    OEM staggered LTWs|Bilstein BTS Kit|Depo Ellipsoids
    |6000k ProLumen HIDs|Predator Chromiums|///M Front Bumper|///M Mirrors|///M Moldings|///M Diffuser|Cosmosv2|B&B Tri-flo w/DTM tips
    4>2 Member #2

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    Blah, I have to pay nothing for O2 sensors

j/k

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    1997 328iC
    Uh... so with my '97 (which has OBDII, as far as I can tell), that means I have FOUR O2 sensors (2 pre-cat, 2 post-cat), right? Can this trick work on all 4?
    4 O2 sensors for $120? I'll do it this weekend!

My Cars
    (x2) 89 325i, 02 325i
    Depends on the type of O2 sensor. I've never researched the OBDII O2 setup but I'm sure if you put enough research into you can find a cheaper universal kit.

More than anything else you are paying extra for the BMW harness connector.

My Cars
    '04 T4R '13 328i '14 i3
    Awesome, I broke one lastnight doing the m3 exhaust swap; Great timing!

My Cars
    1999 328ic, manual tranny
    Quote Originally Posted by rasher View Post
    Uh... so with my '97 (which has OBDII, as far as I can tell), that means I have FOUR O2 sensors (2 pre-cat, 2 post-cat), right? Can this trick work on all 4?
    4 O2 sensors for $120? I'll do it this weekend!
    OBDII, what is the diff between pre and post sensors? Gotta be a way to jerry-rigg post cat sensors too, I would think.

My Cars
    BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by doulos4jc View Post
    OBDII, what is the diff between pre and post sensors? Gotta be a way to jerry-rigg post cat sensors too, I would think.
    they are two different sensors, and NOT compatable. you can probably get bosch (or other) universals to work for them, try calling Advance or Autozone and see if they offer an universal. I used to work for Advance, (at NAPA now) we had em but dont really advertise it too much. however with some models, the universal costs almost as much and it is not really worth getting, not sure on the E36's, but a 2 wire for the E30's should be mad cheap, like under $20. jerry-rigging with O2's can just be a waste if you dont do it right or get the specific O2. THe system will go in loop and you will get really crappy mileage because it cant use the signal from the sensors and overcompensates with fuel. so just make sure you have it planned out before you start splicing wires...

My Cars
    02 X5-05 Jetta-924Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by AdDiCtIvE 3 View Post
    they are two different sensors, and NOT compatable. you can probably get bosch (or other) universals to work for them, try calling Advance or Autozone and see if they offer an universal. I used to work for Advance, (at NAPA now) we had em but dont really advertise it too much. however with some models, the universal costs almost as much and it is not really worth getting, not sure on the E36's, but a 2 wire for the E30's should be mad cheap, like under $20. jerry-rigging with O2's can just be a waste if you dont do it right or get the specific O2. THe system will go in loop and you will get really crappy mileage because it cant use the signal from the sensors and overcompensates with fuel. so just make sure you have it planned out before you start splicing wires...
    actually i believe they are exactly the same and also the post-cat o2 sensors can be easily faked out. all they are for is to make sure the cat is working for emissions.

someone tell me if i am wrong and i want a detailed answer.

I just tried to replace mine on my 95 325 but found it impossible to get off with the exhaust on. Any tips?
    94 blown Mustang 5.0 vert
    95 325i

The REAL Fordman, beware of flaming imitators

http://imouer.stangnet.com

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i
    Well I bought one today at Autozone, the guy was a total moron,didn't understand what I was going to, and insisted that there was no way it was going to work. I had him get the sensor for the Econoline and my bimmer so I could explain to him. He was puzzled to say the least. Anyways, I got home and could NOT get the original O2 sensor off. Tried PB and Free All (which I reserve for emergencies) and niether seemed to help, tried heating the exhaust part with a torch but still couldn't get it. Also broke my o2 sensor socket, it started to split even wider at the notch part. Figure I'll just ask my exhaust guy to loosen it for me tomorrow when I'm getting a tip put on my car. BTW- any recommendations for a good tip? Black 318i.

My Cars
    318i DASC@10psi SOLD
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetjumper32 View Post
    Well I bought one today at Autozone, the guy was a total moron,didn't understand what I was going to, and insisted that there was no way it was going to work. I had him get the sensor for the Econoline and my bimmer so I could explain to him. He was puzzled to say the least. Anyways, I got home and could NOT get the original O2 sensor off. Tried PB and Free All (which I reserve for emergencies) and niether seemed to help, tried heating the exhaust part with a torch but still couldn't get it. Also broke my o2 sensor socket, it started to split even wider at the notch part. Figure I'll just ask my exhaust guy to loosen it for me tomorrow when I'm getting a tip put on my car. BTW- any recommendations for a good tip? Black 318i.
    Cut the wire off of the old one and use a box wrench

What size?

Thanks
    94 blown Mustang 5.0 vert
    95 325i

The REAL Fordman, beware of flaming imitators

http://imouer.stangnet.com

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    22 mm is the size of wrench you need

Every journey to a forbidden end begins with the first step; and the danger of such a step by the federal government in the direction of taking over the powers of the states is that the end of the journey may find the states so despoiled of their powers as to reduce them to little more than geographical subdivisions of the national domain.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast