Thread: My tapped oil pan experience

My Cars
    BMWs

My tapped oil pan experience

So I drive down to Philly tonight around 6 pm to meet up with a couple E30 turbo friends Jay and Donovan - one has a M20 2.8L making ~409tq, the other has a S52 with a GT35R and zero compression on cyl #5. So we pull the head from the S52 and find the ring seat cracked off on #5 and coolant in #4 and #3. So, I think he may have detonated without realizing. Jay is going to figure out what he wants to do

That started the night off - that was around 6pm. The night goes on we remove the power steering pump, the oil pan bolts, the fan, the shrowd, the dipstick (Major PITA and I had done it once before to tap it for oil return for supercharger!) and I remember that my wastegate for the turbo wont clear the AC compressor bracket so we decide to take the crank pulley off in order to remove the AC Bracket. Everything is going fairly well we take a couple brakes go for some test drives in donovans monster and then get back to work more or less. Some crazy ass old guy comes by saying he wants our trash and then comes back for money. So odd. We press on, new gasket, silicone in the corners, yadda yadda... pan came right off with no movement of the subframe or engine! Dropped the oil pick up tube and all to clear the oil pan out. Anyway, everything goes back together. The test of manhood comes and we crank the car over - oil pressure light on for a couple secs then right out as per bentley manual, then all of a sudden a KNOCKING.

Sounded as if someone were in the engine bay pinging the end of the crankshaft with a small metal hammer - real messed up. My buddy had cranked it over so i said to rev it a little to fluctuate the rpm to see if it matched and it did. All sorts of messed up thoughts were going thru my head. Was going to pull the drive belt and fan and all that thinking maybe something was messed up. Then for some reason he put the clutch in and it went away. So we tried again, yeah the noise went away with the clutch in. Then I was frustrated and told my PT to just take the car around the block while I collected my thoughts with Donovan thinking shit over. He came back, same freaking insanely loud noise only when the car rev'd to like 3,000 the noise turned from a KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK/SQUEAL to SCHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK as he drove off. Man I was so pissed I wanted to kick the damned car.

It was about 11:50pm and we were all tired and Donovan had a long ride home so we just left and hoped it was something stupid like a throw out bearing (which is what Donovan suggested). My throw out bearing has made a little chachink chachink chachunk noise in neutral for the last like 2 years but no big deal. So I am at the very first traffic light from Jays garage and I am talking about how pissed off I am and all of a sudden SILENCE. The noise stopped! The whole time the car made the noise the clutch was fine, it drove fine, it just made noise and now it didn't! So I threw the clutch in and out a few time, nothing. I was so freaked out by it I didn't want to think the noise was gone just to have it start up again. Drove like 50 miles all the way home high way speed and then traffic lights and what not and no noise... FREAKY..

Donovan said throw out bearing - I am thinking so too maybe some oil got on the clutch surface or throw out bearing and triggered this noise. At first it sounded like the engine had no oil and was freaking, then we discovered it was based on the clutch being fully out, and then it went away.... Any ideas?

I don't really care what it is/was, its gone. I need a new clutch to hold ~550 ft/lb of torque anyway, but I wasn't planning on it just yet. Anyway, my 2nd E34 M50 oil pan is now in the car which is tapped for 5/8" oil return line This was the hardest step remaining with the turbo install and it is now complete!

Thanks SO much Jay for being gracious enough to let us use the lift and garage! Thanks too for running to the store and grabbing oil!

Thanks Donovan for making the long journey from the dark side - I mean New Jersey - and helping out with everything. You're craaaaaaaaaaaaaazy. Hahaha wtf. Thanks again bro! If you ever need something just ring us up!
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 08-12-2006 at 01:34 AM.

My Cars
    325is
    That sounds right... Where's PT?? No mention of the Bike racing?!?!! that was my favorite part

Donovan
    MaximumPSI.com BMW IRS World record, 8-26-16 8.695@165mph

My Cars
    E30 S52 TURBO
    friday was a blast! sorry to hear about the troubles with the pan.. did you find out what was rubbing?

donovan you'll have to head back down when jon and i are both boosted.

My Cars
    BMW
    You're Crazy Man, I like you, But you're crazy