Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TURBO STAGE 1.................Thanks to TECHNO550

My Cars
    E36s/E90/T-Diesel

TURBO STAGE 1.................Thanks to TECHNO550

TURBO STORY

Allow me tell you the story that I never have time to tell
    Ok guys here I’m in the FI forum, I thought I will never be here but, here I am... thanks to a couple of friends of my, Mike and Bret. Everything started as a dream; I always dreamed of a turbo car but I never like any of the turbo cars out there, Maybe the S15. Anyway I was getting married at the same time that I was buying all the parts for the turbo kit so I put the kit together in less than a month, sponsor by my good friends VISA and MASTER CAR ;-)

So when the time was right I called Mike aka TECHNO550 and arrange the date that we where going to put everything together. We agree to meet up a Friday morning at The Racer's Market shop, let the car cool down and start working around noon. Well after Bret took us to eat a great lunch. We get back to the shop and started working in the project.

Note: I am going to try to be as specific as I can, and try not to leave any process out the thread.

DOWN TO BUSINESS

SOFTWARE: I wanted to keep the car stock as possible and this was possible by TRM's OBD1 software. I removed the DME and install the new chip we started the engine to make sure that the chip did not get damage in the process. The FI chip ran the car N/A fine at idle. Oh by the way after we finished the install we went for a test drive and the car ran as smooth as when it was N/A. No codes No issues.

INTERCOOLER: Well Mike and I started by taking the bumper off the car to fit the intercooler. The intercooler was chose to fit in between the electric fan and the bumper cover, I also did not wanted to give up my fog lights or have to drastically change the look of the car. For the mounting of the intercooler Mike welded 2 brackets to the intercooler and drill and tap 2 holes to the metal bumper for the screws that will hold the intercooler in place. Meanwhile I was cutting my plastic bumper to make some room for the intercooler outlets. This cutting was done around the area of the break cooling ducts.

INJECTORS: I installed the new 42lbs injectors that where need it for the stage 1 turbo kit.

CHARGE PIPE: Mike started to work in the charge pipe by cutting and welding from the pre order piping. We ran a 2” coming out the turbo which turns in to 2 ½” before the blow off valve then goes in and out the intercooler, then gets to a 3” that goes in to the throttle body. Meanwhile I was taking the exhaust system off the car.

MOTOR BRACKET/MOUNT: I use TRM's design. Whit the exhaust off the car it was pretty easy and straight swap. I held the engine by the A/C tensioner.

TURBO MINAFOLD: I used TRM’s manifold aka SPA manifold. Before installing the manifold we make sure that we had the exhaust gas temperature prove in place (EGT prove), for this I drilled a hole by the 6 runner right where all the gas flow goes in to the turbine. I'd also make sure that all studs where in place as well as the waste gate down pipe. So let me tell you this is really easy but none the less time consuming. After tightening the 100 bolts for the turbo manifold we where ready to install the turbo. Keep in mind that you have to do some nuts first that the others.

RETUR LINE: This is one of those things that is not hard to do but you have to be careful doing it. We left the oil in the engine so the oil will come out with all the debris. I drilled a hole and tap it and then clean it as good as I could so the JB weld will stick to the NPT fitting and the oil pan. You have to line up the hole with the turbo. Do not use kick set JB weld.

TURBO: I got the turbo from TRM, is a T3/T4 stage 1. Mike separated the exhaust housing from the rest of the turbo so I can work in the return line to the oil pan. After doing the return line I put the turbo back together with the exhaust housing off the car and install it back in as one piece. I also make sure we had the oil feed line attached to the turbo; at this point Mike install the wastegate to the down pipe coming form the turbo manifold.

OIL LINE: For this I used all TRM’s oil kit, which it comes with everything you will need. A week before I installed the oil distribution block and a set of gauges in the car, so all I needed to install was the sender units for the oil pressure and oil temperature. We bought all the NTP fittings needed for the *T* at home depot. After installing the sender units I proceed to thigh the turbo oil feed line.

WATER TEMP SENDER UNIT: For this I also used TRM’s kit which it goes in the top radiator hose. All I needed to do is cut the hose and ground it to the engine.

AIR HOSES: After all this Mike finish up welding the BOV flange to the charge pipe and also the fitting that will feed the ICV; So I ran the vacuum lines for the BOV, Wastegate, Boost Controller and boost gauge. We use some foil tape to protect the hoses that go to the wastegate. I also seal the small hose that goes form the back of the throttle body to the crankcase. For this I used the TRM vacuum intake manifold with 4 ports that plugs in the hose that goes from the brake booster to the intake manifold.

EXHAUST: I also got the turbo down pipe from TRM, Mike also help me fit my 3” exhaust into the 2 ½ down pipe. He pretty much did all this on his own. Meanwhile I was taking a nap :-)

TIME: Like I said we started friday noon and finished sunday noon, by the end of saturday night we had a chat about pulling an overnighter and finishing the car that night, but we were in no rush so we called it a day.

PROBLEMS:After we got done with the car and took the car for the first test drive we hit a boost spike thanks to the wrong spring on the eBay wastegate. We went back to the shop and mike found a 5lbs spring, Mike replaced the spring and went for the sencond test drive. This time We forgot to install the new spark plugs so my car was misfiring at 5000rpms. Easy fix after this OMG love the car. (NGK-7) good to me up to 9psi I use now NGK-8 good up to 15psi.

I SHOULDN’T DONE THAT: I shouldn’t use regular clamps from home depot; I forgot how many times I had to pull over to fix a lose hose. I bought T-Clamps 2 weeks after, I got them from NAPA.

COMING SOON: Official dyno of the stage 1 turbo kit on 93 pump gas and C16. Reroute the wastegate back in to the exhaust pipe, I’m not a fan of the noise of the wastegate open to the atmosphere.

I will like to thank Mike for all moral support, and making this happen, oh and for all the parts too.

AFTER THOUGHTS: The car is as reliable as if it was N/A. I haven had any issues by turbo charging the S52. I have made several trips, one to the mountains in Tennessee and the other one to savannah. The trip to Tennessee was on a cold weather, the car got a lot faster you got love the cold air, thru the high speed turns in the mountains the car never became unpredictable, every turn I control the boost by stepping on the gas, I love the fact that I got full boost as low as 1800rpms. On the trip to savannah the car saw temperatures over the 105 degrees, the car never over heated, the A/C was blowing cold air. The car in the interstate was amazing when it comes to passing cars. The gas mileage is really good if I do not step on it ;-) which is hard not to... you know

MORE PICS

BEFORE

AFTER

DYNO HERE: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=600217

PICTURE UP-DATES

BIGGER IC GETTING READY FOR MORE POWER

UPDATE 03/15/2010

pics of most of the parts were before the parts were into full production..... production parts look 100% better....
    Last edited by RJ's325ITS; 03-15-2010 at 01:42 AM.
    BMW-PC F80 M3 HotLapFormula 1000 Video │ 3 Time NASA-SE GTS2 Champ │ TRM Stg.2, Coilovers & Tuning │ Racing Videos[/CENTER]

My Cars
    '01 Mcoupe / '16 Golf R
    Full Boost at 1800 rpm??? Wow!! But does it feel like power drops off a bit towards redline?

Either way, great write up! Nice to see techno and his kit working and working well!!

I'm assuming your evil twin is an OBDI converted s52?

And the good twin is a 325's, to which your username refers?

My Cars
    '01 Mcoupe / '16 Golf R
    Oh, and how much boost are you running?

My Cars
    Fast ones...
    Top job......

and it's great to see Mike's OWN tune running the car nice and smoothly (I'm guessing it's your tune and not a copied bin right??)

Great work Techno

My Cars
    1997 740i, 1973 Bronco, 1996 Bronco
    Great write up and congradulations to both of you!

My Cars
    E36s/E90/T-Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneller Bayer View Post
    Full Boost at 1800 rpm??? Wow!! But does it feel like power drops off a bit towards redline?

Either way, great write up! Nice to see techno and his kit working and working well!!

I'm assuming your evil twin is an OBDI converted s52?

And the good twin is a 325's, to which your username refers?
    Power wise I feels even all the way to redline but I can feel when My vanos kicks in, I feel a little push at let's say 4500 to 5000rpms. This is my daily driven car so I run it off the WG, the WG has a 5lb spring but the car reach 7 psi, and when I'm messing around w/ someone I run 9psi. oh last time I ran 12psi but w/ C16.

Yes the green car is OBD1 3.2L and the red car is a 2.5L 325is

Quote Originally Posted by and1c View Post
    Top job......

and it's great to see Mike's OWN tune running the car nice and smoothly (I'm guessing it's your tune and not a copied bin right??)

Great work Techno
    The tuning is all Mike.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    YES!

Congratulations! I have been waiting for a Techno kit thread like this and you did a fabulous job! In fact, you've exceeded my expectations with this!

Techno now has his very own Techno550 Custom Turbo System section in the "Tried & Tested" thread!
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    1995 M3
    from looking at your sig. I thought you were turbo a while back...HUH

Pancit Racing Inc.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ///MBILIS View Post
    Yeah, he just never made a cool thread for everyone to learn from until now.

Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I remember his sig had an intercooler a few months back.

Pancit Racing Inc.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Nice looking setup. When are you planning on getting it to a dyno?
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

techno550 is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36's + 300D
    Top job......

Great work Techno
    The software in rafa's car is "an extension" of what I've been running in my car for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by ///MBILIS View Post
    It was done a while ago. End of April, iirc. (3+ months ago.)
    Michael McCoy TRM

My Cars
    '01 Mcoupe / '16 Golf R
    well techno's gotta come up with a catchy name for his kit.

I think Techno Tuning steps on sopme toes

My Cars
    E36's + 300D
    It'll probably TRM stage 1 and TRM stage 2... The company has plenty of history... just not with street car parts.
    Michael McCoy TRM

My Cars
    Z4 M coupe
    Awesome.

I wasnt aware that anybody had ACTUALLY tuned their stock DME. I mean I knew the def files were around for a while but I thought they were some funky code/jargon that didnt necessarily mean the numbers that they were labeled as. Can somebody point me to the necessary threads that explain how tuning is accomplished on the obd-1 dme?

GREAT looking kit.
    1/4 mile in 13.1 @ 106++ (calculators put this at 0-60 in "4.21" seconds.)

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneller Bayer View Post
    well techno's gotta come up with a catchy name for his kit.

I think Techno Tuning steps on sopme toes

My Cars
    E36's + 300D
    Quote Originally Posted by xjeeper View Post
    Awesome.

I wasnt aware that anybody had ACTUALLY tuned their stock DME. I mean I knew the def files were around for a while but I thought they were some funky code/jargon that didnt necessarily mean the numbers that they were labeled as. Can somebody point me to the necessary threads that explain how tuning is accomplished on the obd-1 dme?

GREAT looking kit.
    the 413 tuning threads were started probably 6 months after I started messing with the stock ECU. they were bumped about a year after that start time and populated with what I knew. The threads are out there with how to understand the tables, what the look like, how they work, some of the key locations, the table of file data locations in the chip, etc... and all are based off of the tuning done on the 413 ECU that's *running* my car.
    Michael McCoy TRM

My Cars
    E36's + 300D
    Quote Originally Posted by xjeeper View Post
    Awesome.

GREAT looking kit.
    some threads the search turned up.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=572173

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=431228

and
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=338847
    Michael McCoy TRM

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    I had not seen this thread. looks good at a glance but something scared me ...

Hellabad drinking Cabana Boy with a Mary-Kate and Ashley calendar in the background. That boy needs to make up his mind which side of street he's cruising.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...01&postcount=8

My Cars
    95 Turbo M3
    Very nice. My turbo setup is going to be much like yours except I will be running a t3/60-1 hifi turbo (either 0.63 or 0.82 A/R). Where did you get that intercooler? Do you have the dimensions of it as well? Which MAF sensor are you running? Did Techno give you a base tune and then do a retune? How much did the entire project cost you in the end? Also are you running your stock m3 clutch or have you upgraded that as well? If so, any slippage? TIA!
    Last edited by JLac; 08-09-2006 at 06:03 PM.
    R.I.P.
    95 Daytona Violet TURBO M3/2

Dove Alcantara/ Dark Grey Leather

My Cars
    92 325is, 91 Previa ftw
    What ebay wastegate are you using exactly? The one from xs power or a different company? I'm guessing it's reliable if you've used it this long.

Great write-up.
    -Curt

stock CR 92 non-vanos 325 / first ever Holset HY35 powered BMW / custom tubular manifold & motor mount / stock DME tuning / tial 50mm bov / 46mm xspower w.g. / green top injectors / IC piping designed by myself (above subframe of course) / 12x28x3" IC / oil return into pan that seems to work / e21 tranny mounts / custom blow through MAF / koni sport kit / 18x8.5 mvr replica's / various leaks & body colours

My Cars
    E36/5 ///M & Turbo 325
    (I'm guessing it's your tune and not a copied bin right??)

Great work Techno
    Where did this come from? You started a forum. You know exactly the amount of work that was put in this.

We got a few cars running off ECU tune now

this car, Darth Maul, Other from technno side of town. Other will pop up. Thats a gaurantee
    OBD1 ECU TUNER

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 325icintn View Post
    I had not seen this thread. looks good at a glance but something scared me ...

Hellabad drinking Cabana Boy with a Mary-Kate and Ashley calendar in the background. That boy needs to make up his mind which side of street he's cruising.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...01&postcount=8
    OMG! You didn't comment on the guy's shirt?

My Cars
    E36s/E90/T-Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by JLac View Post
    Very nice. My turbo setup is going to be much like yours except I will be running a t3/60-1 hifi turbo (either 0.63 or 0.82 A/R). Where did you get that intercooler? Do you have the dimensions of it as well? Which MAF sensor are you running? Did Techno give you a base tune and then do a retune? How much did the entire project cost you in the end? Also are you running your stock m3 clutch or have you upgraded that as well? If so, any slippage? TIA!
    Well here is some info about the intercooler 520x197x90MM, 2 2/1 inlet & outlet. I bought the WG from this people JDMCARRIER but be aware of the problem I had. I'm using a euro 3.5 HFM, Stock clutch no slipping

My Cars
    13 Rubicon
    Awesome writeup!!! Nice work to Mike & Bret too. Any plans to get the car dynoed anytime soon?

I'm just waiting on Bret to get back to me on some pricing, then I might have a kit almost identical to yours!!
    2011 M3 Coupe - Individual Fire Orange/Black Novillo Extended Leather, 6MT, Mode Carbon, Eisenmann Race, BBS CH-R, BC Coil-overs (Sold)
    1995 M3 Coupe - Avus/Hurricane, AEM EMS, Precision Turbo, Boostlogic, H&R, Fikse FM/5, MaxVelocity, Maximum PSI, 20% Tint, etc etc.. (Sold)
    2009 M3 Coupe - AW/Fox Red, 6MT, Carbon Roof, Shadow Trim, etc (Sold)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast