Thread: Cruise Control Failure

My Cars
    1983 E30 318 coupe, 1994 E34 530i Limousine

Cruise Control Failure

Ok. ANy help will be appreciated here. I have had my 1994 530i for the last 5 months, and up until about 1 month ago, it was all running perfect. My problem was intermittent at 1st. I would be driving, and would attempt to engage the cruise control, and it would come on, then not engage, then hit the lever again, and it would engage and run fine. This happened on and off over a few weeks. My daily trek to work is a 200 kilometer round trip using highways, which cruise control is an advantage. Anyway, a month ago, the cruise just stopped working. I have checked the fuse, and its not blown. The obd does not indicate any fault. I have checked all my brake lights globes and fittings, and cleaned and made the electrical connections a tighter fit. Before I attempt removal of the actuator, has anyone else had a similar thing happen, and any suggestions as to what else to look at will be appreciated. Just a side note. My Transmission was going into limp mode, and I had that fixed pretty much straight away. The wiring loom from the trnsmission was rubbing against the tailshaft, and had rubbed through and was intermittently making the car go into limp mode. Can the cruise control fault also be linked to this wiring loom? I am kinda doubting this myself, because having said this, wouldnt the fuse for the cruise have blown due to a possible short. ANyway. Thats my life story for now. Hope someone can help out there.

Cheers for now

Lost 530 driver

My Cars
    So know one can help me? Frustrating hardcore

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    I've heard that there is a spring on the TB that may become detatched and cause it to not operate. I think there should be 2 springs on it. Not sure if thats your problem but its worth a shot to check out. Hope it helps

My Cars
    90' 525, 95' 525, 98' 528, 97' 540
    Same thing happened to me....
    but when it finally decided to quit on me, it was in use and the car started accelerating fairly hard. I tapped the brake to turn it off and it never worked again. The little light and all that still comes on, but no response from the buttons.

My Cars
    TB? I am guessing you mean throttle body. Will remove my engines cosmetics today and have a look. I think i have read about that somewhere as well. Thanks. Will report back once checked out

My Cars
    87 bmw 325is, 98 bmw 540i

Try the clutch switch

When cruise control is engaged there is a clutch switch that should disengage it. This can get permanently pushed down. Try to jiggle that a bit. I only know about this because I am researching for myself at the moment. I read about that on another forum. Give it a try let us know if that helps.

My Cars
    95-540/6 95-740i 02-M5
    get a new cruise actuator or cable which ever is the problem....mine broke when in use car accellerated full speed and would not let off the throttle. Had to shut the car down and detach on the side of the highway.My cable was rusty and old. Currently looking for a replacement as well

My Cars
    BMW 525i m20 1990
    this is an old post but anyway. i have 525i 1990 with m20 engine. i found the module control and the actuator. puted everythig in place. when i tur egnition to position 1 actuator iz buzzing and the cable gets tight. but in driving it is not responding to contols. which fuse should i look in to and what else can i look at?
    thanks