Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another reason not to get SMG

My Cars
    None

Broken plastic ball pin causing clutch system failure

M3 has 58k miles.

Complaint: M3 started making loud grinding noise..stalled while driving...engine has no crank/no start. SMG light is lit up. FC 59 or 3B for actuation, clutch, dynamic.

Cause: Plastic ball pin at one end of clutch fork broke causing the piston to push further on the fork thus hitting the pressure plate. Spinning pressure plate grinded some metal off of the clutch fork making it thin enough for the piston to punch a hole through it. Clutch is now inop.

Correction: Removed transmission and replace ball pin, spring clip, clutch fork, and new clutch assembly.

I have done over 100 launch control functions and numerous HPDE events and the clutch still looks good. Not going to take any chances and just replace the pressure plate and disc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BMWguy206; 07-16-2006 at 09:42 PM. Reason: title change

My Cars
    None
    more pics.. last couple of pictures is the new clutch slave cylinder.

My Cars
    None
    Ok.. so the head techs were looking at the clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel. They said at 58k miles the clutch parts still look almost new. The pressure plate even still has the small ridges on it. They said it's because of the SMG system that gives the clutch the longevity. I just wished that BMW used a stainless steel ball pin instead of plastic.

My Cars
    2001.5 S4 (sold), 2005.5 ZCPM3, another BMW (soon)
    wait. you say in ur cars: that you own an E36 m3? they dont come w/ SMG.

My Cars
    None
    It's my dad's E46 M3. I do have an E36 M3 but it's sitting at the shop with a blown engine

My Cars
    2001 740il, 2006 M3 Convertible
    this thread should read, " i broke my dad's m3, o shit!" lol

My Cars
    Ford Pinto
    The techs told you that SMG was good for the clutch.

You had a failure with the transmission, and apparently what you're trying to say is that because of this issue, normal 6 speeds have far fewer transmission failures than SMG's?

I'd bet that since you have the "human" error factor with the normal 6 speed, more m3 standard transmissions have problems than SMG's

Money $hift anyone? Cant pull it off with SMG.

You should probably sell your car if you do not appreciate SMG and give it to someone who will so we can avoid posts like these

At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    My Cars
    03 E46 M3 TiAg SMG II
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamPu2003
    wait. you say in ur cars: that you own an E36 m3? they dont come w/ SMG.
    Actually that's not true - E36 M3 had the option of SMG I - what a dog that was !!
    Work Hard, Play Hard, Enjoy - Lifes Too Short !!!
    03 M3 Coupe TiAg SMGII / 18" Dual Spoke / Michelin PS / Incar Canon MD160 miniDV
    Save your Racing for the Track

My Cars
    over 100 launch controls may have had something to do with it

My Cars
    2007 WRX
    ^^^^ I'd second that. Launch control can't be a good thing. It stresses the system, considering at full pelt, SMG engages the clutch @ around 10,000bar. But i can see why you're upset, plastic parts in an environment like a transmission is a pretty dumb idea.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Wow... looks like a prime opportunity for somebody to engineer a better aftermarket replacement. I wonder where I could find the blueprint for that part
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptor
    ^^^^ I'd second that. Launch control can't be a good thing. It stresses the system, considering at full pelt, SMG engages the clutch @ around 10,000bar. But i can see why you're upset, plastic parts in an environment like a transmission is a pretty dumb idea.
    On the F1 Style LC, the SMG ECU engages the clutch 8x per second. Since one end of the clutch fork pivots on the plastic ball pin, it's no wonder the item failed.

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar
    Wow... looks like a prime opportunity for somebody to engineer a better aftermarket replacement. I wonder where I could find the blueprint for that part
    The E39 540i and the 850Csi uses a stainless steel ball pin. BMW should have used that on the SMG M3s.

My Cars
    e46 m3, S4, A6, A3,
    Why isn't this titled another reason FOR SMG?
    MAB

My Cars
    doing all those launch controls i think are just stupid. unless you have a set purpose, you dont need to do it.. it shaves what, maybe 0.1 or 0.2 seconds off a 0-60?

if you are lucky enough to fry your SMG tranny while the cars still under warranty, and furthermore lucky enough to have the dealership replace it for you and not just say #$%^ you because you abuse the hell out of your car, then well good, but if not its really your own fault if your clutch or tranny has problems due to excessive abuse.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 04-30-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Profanity

My Cars
    2004 Toyota Land Crusher
    SMG FTL anyway
    2003 BMW 330Ci-TS/Black 5 speed manual- loadedSold
    2002 BMW M3- CB/Black 6 speed manual- loaded Sold
    2005 BMW M3 ZCP-IB/Black 6 speed manual- loaded Lease up
    2003.5 BMW M3- CB/Black 6 speed manual- loaded Sold
    2010 BMW 550i M Sport SG/NB 6 speed manual- loaded Sold
    2008 BMW 750Li Sport BSM/NB- loaded Gave to my dad
    2008 BMW M5 Black Sapphire Metallic/Sepang Bronze Merino 6 speed manual- HUD, soft close doors, comfort access, cold weather, sunshades current beast

2004 Toyota Land Cruiser Thundercloud Metallic/Stone
    2005 Lexus LX470 Black Onyx/Stone Wifey's

My Cars
    None
    doing all those launch controls i think are just stupid. unless you have a set purpose, you dont need to do it.. it shaves what, maybe 0.1 or 0.2 seconds off a 0-60?

if you are lucky enough to fry your SMG tranny while the cars still under warranty, and furthermore lucky enough to have the dealership replace it for you and not just say #$%^ you because you abuse the hell out of your car, then well good, but if not its really your own fault if your clutch or tranny has problems due to excessive abuse.
    Why was I doing so many launch controls? Maybe because my dad and I were on the drag strip and on certain nights we would be doing some bracket racing with the M3 at guess what.. we won! The SMG can help give you consistant times.

Car is out of warranty and the only thing major that was covered was the engine after it blew at 8k miles. This clutch/transmission issue is the most expensive repair when the warranty was gone.

Tell me.. what is the difference between abuse and driving the car hard? It's a M3! They are meant to be driven hard! Drive them hard and sure.. you'll be replacing control arm bushings, rear toe bushings, driveshaft guibo, etc etc. I haven't even done launch control this year or any driving event. I know there are many guys out there that has more HPDE events than I did with SMG.

I've have own this M3 since Feb 2002. This was when SMG first came out. I also have a turbo E36 M3 with a 5spd manual and I split the driveshaft in half from wheel hopping.

This purpose of this post is to give my opinion on the system, to HELP others with SMG that this can happen to them and to expect the unexpected. I am probably the only one that did this many LCs and prove that the clutch is still good and to show whats weakness in the clutch system.

I got the new stainless steel ball pin. Its part number 21 51 1 223 406 and retail is around $18.00.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 04-30-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Profanity

My Cars
    2001 M5 2001 MZ3 2010 M5
    I'm confused the plastic ball pin snapped, the same part BMW uses in every manual application, and it's SMG's fault?
    2010 E60 M5
    2001 M Roadster
    2001 E39 M5

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris
    I'm confused the plastic ball pin snapped, the same part BMW uses in every manual application, and it's SMG's fault?
    Actually the E39 540i and the E31 850Csi uses a stainless steel ball pin. I didn't know about this till yesterday.

I guess the excessive use of the F1 Style LC wore out the plastic ball pin. The pin was in pieces.

My Cars
    03 330 zhp
    Just curious how much the labor will cost? You said the part is only $18?

And I do believe this should not have happened on a M3 since it's meant to be the sportiest model of 3series. The price difference of M3 over 330 or whatever should have gone into further strenghtening drivetrain parts from more stressful environments vs regular 3series. And my personal opinion is that if BMW put the luanch control button into design, it shouldn't break the tranny. Of course the more you use it, the more wear and tear you'd put on your car, but still shouldn't break anything. Just my $.02

My Cars
    yeah its pretty stupid. launch control shouldnt really make the diff between winning and losing anyways.. but its BMWs fault for their shitty design on implamenting a feature that is not safe for the longetivity of th vehicle.

My Cars
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by skim
    Just curious how much the labor will cost? You said the part is only $18?

And I do believe this should not have happened on a M3 since it's meant to be the sportiest model of 3series. The price difference of M3 over 330 or whatever should have gone into further strenghtening drivetrain parts from more stressful environments vs regular 3series. And my personal opinion is that if BMW put the luanch control button into design, it shouldn't break the tranny. Of course the more you use it, the more wear and tear you'd put on your car, but still shouldn't break anything. Just my $.02
    I'll know the exact labor at the end of the day today or Monday.

Just to let everyone know, customer pay for this type of job can be anywhere between 8hrs-16hrs. Obviously the dealer will be the higher rates.

I just realized that the ball pin can only be replaced with the transmission removed.

My Cars
    None
    yeah its pretty stupid. launch control shouldnt really make the diff between winning and losing anyways.. but its BMWs fault for their shitty design on implamenting a feature that is not safe for the longetivity of th vehicle.
    Yes exactly! If a BMW is going to have launch control and that they know the ball pin will be the fastest wearing component, they should've at least used a stronger part. Heck maybe they didn't know?

Worse case is that the ball pin breaks under high engine speed and the clutch fork and pressure plate get severly damaged to the point of grenading and BAM! New transmission because they just made holes in the bellhousing!

The failure happened to me under 5mph just after making an U-Turn.

My Cars
    None
    Picture of the stainless steel ball pin...

My Cars
    that isnt even worth $18bucks.

i could make a part like that in metal freaking shop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast