Thread: Too Many Messages at once...

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525i

Too Many Messages at once...

Forgive me if my forum manners are improper. First time for me to do this.
    My 1992 525i lost a significant amount of power to motor and electrical (power windows very slow, AC power way down and hazard lights wouldn't work) out of the blue. Was driving 55 mph with no problems. Turned a corner and whamo!
    Codes that I can remember are "Trans Program", "Check Engine" "Brake Fluid".
    Note: I know how to add fluid and ATF. But, I only got the car recently and I don't know the proper ATF to utilize. I just added some Dexron III to the existing fluid. Someone told me I should have used Dexron II.
    For so much to hit all at the same time, well, I need some help. I am OK with taking to the mechanic if possible but if someone could give me some DIY tips to try to remedy everything and tell me the proper fluids I would appreciate it as I am not a rich man.
    Thanks for whatever help you may provide.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    have you tried a new/different battery- that would be my first guess.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525i
    No, I had not even thought of that. Would that bring on all the codes: "Trans Program", "Check Engine" ETC?

My Cars
    m52 powered
    maybe a battery on it's last leg?

My Cars
    E23 735i
    Quote Originally Posted by Signseller
    No, I had not even thought of that. Would that bring on all the codes: "Trans Program", "Check Engine" ETC?
    Yes, it could. This could also be caused by a bad power lead from the battery to the main body harness. The 8-ish guage wire that runs to the harness is a 'fuseable lead' and can develop cracks and cause problems with age. Have the battery checked, and check the condition of the battery cables and that fuseable lead very carefully.
    1986 BMW 735i Turbo, 5-speed
    2010 Mazda5
    1966 Corvair Sedan

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525i
    Wanted to say, "THANKS" for telling me to look in to the battery.
    I took the battery in for a test. It was shot. Bought a new battery, installed it and everything is good to go.
    You all saved me a nice chunk of change since I did not have to take the car to the mechanic at $80/hr.
    Glad I found the forum...

My Cars
    '93 525iT Stock, '00 4Runner
    Nice job guys!!!