Thread: MegaSquirt full standalone running video and explanation :)

My Cars
    BMWs

MegaSquirt full standalone running video and explanation :)

Please right-click and save the AVI file to your drive, because AVI files don't stream there is no point in trying to open it right up in WMP.

Right-Click Save-As

This is a BMW M50 motor running 3 GM coil packs in wasted spark with custom length MSD Helicore wires and stock spark plugs. The idle fluctuates a little bit because of the stupid idle control valve - that's coming out today or tomorrow

So, here it running! Yesterday when I posted, I had run the car until it was warm then quickly swapp the stock coils out loaded the plug wires and GM coil in and hooked her all up checked the settings cranked and it ran. But we all know it's easy to get a hot motor running, the real test is whether or not the thing will start when "cold".

It was 72 degrees this morning when I went out to get the video for you guys - I had never started the car from cold start on ignition control yet, so I was sort of not sure what would happen. I adjusted the "warm up" settings and cranked her up. Fired over right away!

I mentioned yesterday a great find that would have M50 NON VANOS users smiling wide. This is my daily driver and therefore I cannot pull the motor apart and mess with it because I usually need it if not the next day, 2 days from then. So, I have another engine in my garage (M50 NON VANOS) that everyone knows I am building - so I have been trying to figure out the crank trigger angles by using that motor. Well, since I broke the engine down and the crank wheel is off the crank, the crank out of the block, etc etc etc, it didn't cross my mind to check the TDC marks relative to the crank wheel.

I had been using an image provided by a guy from an E34 website as my reference which clearly shows the missing teeth on the crank wheel at about 10 o'clock when the motor is at its "TDC" mark. However, I noticed that the location of his TDC mark on the crank wheel and my TDC mark on the crank wheel are physically different in location - his on the face, mine on the edge of the wheel. I had been using his picture to try and formulate the crank trigger angles for megasquirt and was having NO success. The thing kicked back on the starter, etc - bad things were happening. Then I went over to my garage and just held my spare crank wheel up to my spare timing cover and saw that the TDC mark leaves the gap in the teeth on the wheel at about 1 o'clock or 2 o'clock... which is similar to the E30 M20!

I went home started talking to my MegaSquirt M20 friends and one of them had a pic of their crank wheel marked up and at relative TDC. Turns out, if I am looking at it right, the M50 NON VANOS and the M20 crank wheels are the same positioning! The CPS is at tooth ~15 on both motors, this means that M50 NON VANOS motors should accept the M20 crank angles in MegaSquirt. But, this was theory and I had yet to try it.

So I continued to think and think (over thinker, I am) and then at work just decided to put the M20 numbers in there and throw a crank timing of like 5 degrees advance and 7 degrees idle advance just to see if it'd kickback on the starter like it did before when using what I THOUGHT was a pic of an M50 at TDC. The end? The bitch fired right up and it freaked me the hell out!

Turns out the picture that guy sent me was of a M50 VANOS motor which has different crank wheel positioning at TDC which really doesn't matter, but it was confusing as SHIT because you have to count the crank angles differently and was confusing me.

I have to go over to the garage I work out of and get my Bentley manual and some other tools (car is here) and remove fan clutch/etc and set motor to TDC and make new markings on the engine somewhere and confirm that the timing MegaSquirt is seeing is the same as the motor.

My Cars
    All of them.

Nice.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Oh and also I was getting a lot of questions about how the car might run in wasted spark configuration - that's it in the movie Sounds and runs the exact same as sequential ignition control. For those who don't know, the car is firing two cylinders at the same time (thats what wasted spark is) but the one with higher compression and fuel is the one that ignites So, for those who were wondering, this is a wasted spark setup.

My Cars
    85 318i
    Running smooth damn
    My manifolds powering 8sec and over 1000rwp cars
    Home of the highest HP stock M30 in the world 550rwhp/622rwtq
    1/4 mile---> 9.81 @138 C4 Auto
    10.08 in car vid --->https://youtu.be/OiinFhUomjg
    Dyno vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aM7..._order&list=UL

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    The cylinder that isn't at the top of its exhaust stroke fires...

This is good news for everyone with M50s that wants to MS them... I would bet that the crank wheels will interchange, although I don't see why that would really be needed.
    No PMs. Email through forum please.

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Jon I'm very happy to see this done! Now, how about on stock coil packs? Great work!

BTW, what are your prices for a MS board w/ 4bar MAP installed on it?

Thanks!

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA
    Jon I'm very happy to see this done! Now, how about on stock coil packs? Great work!

BTW, what are your prices for a MS board w/ 4bar MAP installed on it?

Thanks!

Contact me on AIM or thru e-mail if you'd liike to talk prices - I don't want to crowd the forum with that stuff.

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    I am very impressed! How far away are you from getting COP working?

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    TBSS, 90 348, 65 Mustang
    Now I'm fired up. I have an M50 non-vanos motor to put in my E30 and eventually turbo it. I sent you a PM.

My Cars
    lots of turbos
    Nice Job

My Cars
    E36/5 ///M & Turbo 325
    Quote Originally Posted by UrineMachine
    Oh and also I was getting a lot of questions about how the car might run in wasted spark configuration - that's it in the movie Sounds and runs the exact same as sequential ignition control. For those who don't know, the car is firing two cylinders at the same time (thats what wasted spark is) but the one with higher compression and fuel is the one that ignites So, for those who were wondering, this is a wasted spark setup.
    There's always going to be alot of skeptics in this forum until they are proven wrong. Great job!!!!.

Now we need to get someone to do AEM stand alone DIY (without pruchasing PnP from EVOSPORTS)
    OBD1 ECU TUNER

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by dredder
    There's always going to be alot of skeptics in this forum until they are proven wrong. Great job!!!!.

Now we need to get someone to do AEM stand alone DIY (without pruchasing PnP from EVOSPORTS)

I don't see why AEM wont work without the "PnP" - its not like theyre rewiring the internals of the AEM.

My Cars
    E36/5 ///M & Turbo 325
    we will find out soon enough
    OBD1 ECU TUNER

My Cars
    332 turbo
    yes we will

-titus you ever get that diagram?

david

My Cars
    fd3s / E36 parts car
    Quote Originally Posted by UrineMachine
    I don't see why AEM wont work without the "PnP" - its not like theyre rewiring the internals of the AEM.
    IIRC Evosport claims that they in fact do modify the unit internally.

My Cars
    332 turbo
    they do claim that to bad it works fine with out any modifacation. you have to run a ingnition box which is wired into the coil packs which would be what they as "modifying"

david

My Cars
    '90 E30 - '96 Golf VR6
    well done!

i've been keeping a close eye on your progress and i'll be shooting a pm over to you soon regarding the megasquirt.

My Cars
    97 328is 72 Dat Z
    quick question... MSI v3 has 12x12 maps like the MSII v3 correct? on a m52 what would you recommend?... MSI or II running MSns-E and on stock COP's, NA or boost?
    Sorry if this is a basic noob question. I spent the whole day reading the megasquirt sites till I couldnt retain anymore info.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by bongnak View Post
    quick question... MSI v3 has 12x12 maps like the MSII v3 correct? on a m52 what would you recommend?... MSI or II running MSns-E and on stock COP's, NA or boost?
    Sorry if this is a basic noob question. I spent the whole day reading the megasquirt sites till I couldnt retain anymore info.
    MS1 or MS2 will work. MS2-e now has 16x16 maps. M52 running COPs with boost on MS1 is fine! I have numerous 6 cyl M5x cars running COP with boost.

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    what the old thread is going on?

My Cars
    97 328is 72 Dat Z
    yeah old thread sorry my fault didnt want to create a new thread if i could just add to this one.

thanks urinemachine for your reply...

My Cars
    85 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by UrineMachine View Post
    MS1 or MS2 will work. MS2-e now has 16x16 maps. M52 running COPs with boost on MS1 is fine! I have numerous 6 cyl M5x cars running COP with boost.
    Alright MS guru question for you, I have the V2.2 board and the 1st group buy of the MSII daughter card wich is the green PCB so it's not CAN or COP or whatever capable. My question is can I download the new code to get the 16x16 map with what I have or do I need the V3 with the newer MSII card?
    My manifolds powering 8sec and over 1000rwp cars
    Home of the highest HP stock M30 in the world 550rwhp/622rwtq
    1/4 mile---> 9.81 @138 C4 Auto
    10.08 in car vid --->https://youtu.be/OiinFhUomjg
    Dyno vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aM7..._order&list=UL