Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Replacing Wheel Well Liners

My Cars
    Jetta

DIY: Replacing Wheel Well Liners

I needed to replace my wheel well liners because the plastic had become brittle over time. There were cracks appearing at the mounting locations. When I went to install my JTD underpanel, I noticed this problem and I didn't want it flying off on the freeway.

First step is to jack up the car and put the front end on jack stands. I also placed wheel chocks behind the rear wheels. If you need to know how to jack the car up, there are several available resources you will find with a quick search. I have a thread in my sig that explains how to use the jackpad adapter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here is the ETK diagram of the wheel well liner.

Part 6 is the rubber seal that is applied to the outside arch of the liner and fits into the fender lip.
    Part 5 is the covering piece that spans the gap between the liner, the bumper and the plastic underpanel.

As you can see, in some places part 8 is a plastic threaded insert that is fitted into the body of the car to accept the hex head screws (part 7).

Part 9 is the metal clip that contains the threading for the screws. These go on the liner at the front where it connects to the bumper.
    • File Type: png 60.png (10.2 KB, 4007 views)
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Jetta
    Use an 8mm socket to remove the hex head screws holding the liner in place.

My Cars
    Jetta
    You can see there are two of these screws at the back of the liner. There is also one at the top in the middle.

My Cars
    Jetta
    There is one screw mounted vertically at the inside of the front of the liner.

My Cars
    Jetta
    There are 3 screws on the bottom at the forward edge where the bumper and that covering (part 5 from above) attach. The covering piece (part 5 from above) also snaps into a hole in the liner that you can see between the bumper and the last screw mounting location.

My Cars
    Jetta
    The last connection point is just to the rear of the center of the wheel well on the inside wall of the body of the car. There is a plastic box that holds the attachment points for some sensors. You have to pry the cover open so that you can access the hex nut on the inside.

The liner is on the right and the box is on the left.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here it is open and you can see the nut.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here is a closeup of the nut. As you can see my liner broke at this attachment. The correct location for the liner is closest to the body of the car with the sensor box on top of it.

I believe this is also an 8mm socket, but I will have to verify this to be sure.

You may not need to remove the nut completely, but simply to loosen it enough to push the new liner in behind.

My Cars
    Jetta
    As you can see your brake cooling ducts simply rest in the openings in the liner, so it is not necessary to remove them.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Now you want to pop the liner loose of the bumper and start working it loose from the fender.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Do the same at the back and carefully push it upward and inward to get the rubber seal out of the groove of the fender lip.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Once you have pulled it free, it is time to install the new one. It is easiest if you get it started resting in the fender to help support its weight while you install the screws.

Make sure to keep pushing to the outside of the car to keep the rubber seal tightly to the fender.

My Cars
    Jetta
    While you still have some slack, fit the prong in behind the sensor box where the nut is.

My Cars
    Jetta
    You don't want to tighten it into place just yet as you need some slack to make sure it is fitted properly and you can get a good seal between the rubber and the fender. Snap the front back into position as well. Once you have a good seal with the fender, start to install the screws. They go in the same places shown above. Tighten the nut inside the sensor box and then close the lid again. Make sure that the brake ducts fit snugly back into the guides in the wheel well liners. Re-install the screws holding the liner in the front to the bumper and the covering (part 5 from above).

You have now completed the job. Enjoy the shiny black liners while they last.

I bought my liners from Black Forest Parts. bfbmw.com They had the lowest prices when I checked and were willing to ship for a reasonable rate.

The part numbers for the wheel well liners are:
    COVERING LEFT 51711977047
    COVERING RIGHT 51711977048
    (disclaimer: these numbers were for a 97 328is manual in the US)

My Cars
    95 M3
    Thanks for the write-up.

This will be handy when I replace mine this weekend.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '99 Corolla
    worked out great, thanks for the writeup

My Cars
    bmw320i e36
    can anyone tell me where i can get wheel well liners in the uk for a 320i E36 touring??? i've googled but can't seem to find any.. dont know the part numbers either. cheers

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    I believe it would be parts :51718151561, and 51718151562.

My Cars
    528iAt 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool View Post
    I needed to replace my wheel well liners because the plastic had become brittle over time. There were cracks appearing at the mounting locations. When I went to install my JTD underpanel, I noticed this problem and I didn't want it flying off on the freeway.

First step is to jack up the car and put the front end on jack stands. I also placed wheel chocks behind the rear wheels. If you need to know how to jack the car up, there are several available resources you will find with a quick search. I have a thread in my sig that explains how to use the jackpad adapter.

wish i saw this earlier i replaced the front portin of my liner (actually they were gone when i bought the tourer) but i like the concept of the jack stands and wheel removal! LOL! i put mine on with 17" wheels intact and at ground level!

My Cars
    e39 - 2000 540i
    Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference on the fender liner and the wheel well...

My Cars
    98 540i/6, 99 323iC
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerboy916 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference on the fender liner and the wheel well...
    The fender liner lines the wheel well... is the wheel well. Without the liner there is nothing between the tire and the inside of the outer fender, so without liners if a wheel were to throw a rock it would/could hit the fender from the inside denting it outward.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    You have a writeup for everything Thanks

My Cars
    '19 440xi '95 325i
    Well this was very timely. I had a hit in run on my front end. the other driver split. I had no substantial damage except my fender liner sort of disintegrate on both sides. So this writeup was a big help.

Question are those the only parts you bought? what was the cost if you dont mind me asking and where did you get them? I recovered the brake vents before they fell off. My big problem is that without these parts supporting the back my front bumper cover droops so i really need to fix this.

thanks

My Cars
    1994 325i

Nice write-up

Thanks for this. All of the plastic parts - brake ducts, wheel liners, front support - were totally gone on the 94 325i I picked up last month. Have everything on order and this will help a lot with getting everything in.

I still need to sort out the right screws and such, but this guide will be a big help.

One question - on the piece labeled Part 5, there are tabs on the edge that look like they want to snap into some otehr part, but I don't see anything in any of the drawings on RealOEM that would go there -- is there some sort of under-panel that I need to pick up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast