Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Seat Belt Removal

My Cars
    Jetta

DIY: Seat Belt Removal

This is fairly simple. Here is a link to a webgallery of all the photos:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/bfcOldSkool/SeatBeltRemoval

The rear seats are easiest. If you follow the rear seat removal in my sig, simply remove the seat bottom to access the bolts. There are two bolts in the middle for the straps that go to the seat backs and the middle belt strap. There are two other bolts on the outsides that mount the seat belt receiver or buckle for the shoulder straps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by old skool; 07-07-2006 at 11:39 AM.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    As you can see they use a 16mm socket.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Jetta
    The front seat belt removal is based on a coupe, and may differ on a sedan.

There are two plastic parts you have to remove from the metal bar that holds the bottom of the seatbelt.

The cap on the left covers the front bolt.

The two halves of the donut-looking plastic trim piece on the right snap together around the metal bar and cover the hole in vertical carpet piece below the rear seats.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here is the front bolt exposed after the plastic cap is removed.

The metal prongs are there to keep tension on the plastic cap. Be careful when removing the cap so that you don't bend these metal prongs.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here is the hole in the back carpet that the bar goes through. As you can see the two plastic pieces have been removed.

My Cars
    Jetta
    The front bolt is removed with a T50 torx.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here it is removed and you can see the aluminum cylindrical spacer. At this point you can slide the bottom of the seat belt off of the bar.

My Cars
    Jetta
    To remove the bar, you will need to rotate it towards the center of the car and pull it out of the body behind the back carpet.
    In this picture the carpet is pulled back to reveal the hole in the body. Take note of the orientation of the bar and any special markings so that you can reinstall it correctly.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here are the pieces after they are removed.

You can see the indentation and bump on the right side of the bar before the 90 degree bend. If you look at the picture above, you can see this as well. This part of the bar is what helps lock the two plastic cover pieces in place so they do not slide down the length of the bar.

Also the flat flange on the left side of the bar has an orientation as well when installed and you can see that from pictures above.
    Last edited by old skool; 07-06-2006 at 12:29 AM.

My Cars
    Jetta
    In order to access the actual seatbelts, you will need to remove the rear side panels. This procedure can be found in my headliner removal DIY:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...8&postcount=10
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...3&postcount=11
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...9&postcount=12

The bottom bolt requires a 16mm socket.

My Cars
    94 318IS
    Good to know.
    Thanks!!!
    1994 318is...A crap load of suspension mods...R.I.P.
    95 325i--completely bone stock! except for a A.C.S. body kit, hk traffic pro and still too much money spent on ice

My Cars
    Jetta
    Next you need to remove the top nut.
    This is detailed in the vent window DIY:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...02&postcount=2
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...04&postcount=3

The first shows it with the cap on and the second shows it with the cap off, exposing the nut.

This nut requires a 16mm socket.

Do not overtighten this when you reinstall. It will not allow the top of the seatbelt to rotate when you pull the belt forward.
    Last edited by old skool; 07-06-2006 at 12:25 AM.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here it is with the bolt removed.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Now we need to remove the metal bar below the b-pillar cover.

This requires the use of an 8mm socket.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here it is with the entire assembly removed.

I have removed the entire b-pillar cover and vent windows and seals. You do not need to do this.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here are the seat belt assemblies after removal.

Because of the poka-yoke of the little tab at the bottom, you can always be sure you install them on the correct side of the car. In the pictures above you can see this tab fits into a hole in the body.

They currently happen to be for sale in the link in my sig.
    Last edited by old skool; 07-07-2006 at 11:29 AM.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    great write up. I just swapped in another passanger side seat belt last night on my e36 coupe. it's very straight forward, even for the novice wrench turner.

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    '96 328i
    snap, nice write up. This should be up in the FAQ section! I just have a question.

Will I need to buy a new Rear seat belt assembly if mine is fully retracted and in the locked position? I can't seem to release it to fix this tedious problem. I don't want to buy a new assembly if there is another way to release the tension.

Other than that, Thanks for the write up

My Cars
    Jetta
    I think the seat belts built into the rear seatbacks lock when they are removed. I know it sounds weird, but I think that you have to lock the backs into place upright before you can release the tension on the belts....

My Cars
    n/a
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool View Post
    Here is the front bolt exposed after the plastic cap is removed.

The metal prongs are there to keep tension on the plastic cap. Be careful when removing the cap so that you don't bend these metal prongs.
    Does anyone know where to buy the ring with the metal prongs, or what the part number is? My dealer is baffled as to what it is, and has never seen it before. It doesn't show up on their parts list.

My Cars
    Jetta
    The ring with metal prongs is used to keep the plastic cap in place. It should come with the plastic cap.

My Cars
    99 fern M3, e30(DD)
    why are u taking them out??? track car?

My Cars
    Nothing.
    Have you ever removed, and replaced the deck cover? OMG what a bitch to put back in!

My Cars
    1997 328i convertible
    Does removing the seat belts affect the air bag light?

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonpturner View Post
    Have you ever removed, and replaced the deck cover? OMG what a bitch to put back in!
    Yes. I have a DIY somewhere in the interior removal DIY articles I wrote. Probably in conjunction with headliner removal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast