Thread: How the hell do you check timing on the M50?

My Cars
    BMWs

How the hell do you check timing on the M50?

I have a GM coil with spark plug wires and a timing light, but I cannot come close to seeing the TDC mark on the front of the motor... how the hell do you check the timing?! What's the trick!?!!

My Cars
    M3
    you wanna get to TDC? well besides the timing marks up front , you can pull the 1# spark plug and turn the crank over to see when you get to tdc-

and poor mans gauge it ( filler rod and move crank back and forth until the height is equalized<grammer?> )

Porsche 996

1995 M3 turbo - GT35R , 55#inj , SPA manifold , AA tune SOLD

1993 325IS turbo - 502whp , SC67 , 55#inj
    RIP

My Cars
    BMWs
    Ok well I figured otu part of my freaking issue.

Ive been trying to figre trigger angles for the M50 for megasquirt... a guy on the forums took this pic:

I noticed in bentley manual that the pic in manual didnt show the gap in the teeth on the left, and that the 0/T mark was behind the teeth on the top of the wheel not on the face. I drove over to our shop grabbed my timing cover and wheel and noticed that my TDC position is COMPLETELY different than in that pic!

I attached a picture of my wheel with the gap near where his is - clearly you see theres no TDC mark on the face of the wheel!

Then I looked behind my wheel like bentley manual shows and found a VERY clear 0/T mark, also attached - look where the gap is relative to the first pic!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 07-01-2006 at 03:28 PM.

My Cars
    BMWs
    And the CORRECT picture...
    Attached Images Attached Images