Thread: E39 Steering wheel/seat stopped working..help!

My Cars
    2007 GT3RS/1995 Carrera

E39 Steering wheel/seat stopped working..help!

Hey guys- seach is not showing up, so does anyone have the easy anwer I'm looking for? Went out to the car tonight and when I put the key in and turned, the steering wheel did not move into position like it normally does. The drivers seat controls also stopped working, but everything else seems fine. Is there a certain relay or fuse that could be the culprit. Unfortunately, my car didn't come with the owner's manual. Thanks alot in advance.

Brendan

My Cars
    2002 540iA
    Mine does the same thing sometimes, but then it starts working again.
    Same thing with A/C and heater.

My Cars
    1999 540it
    Mine is now doing the same thing and fuse 13 which shows that its for both stearing and drivers seat changed and is good.................HELP!

My Cars
    540 I 6 Speed Sport Package
    did u try wiggling the steering wheel .. it might be the safety feature locked up
    BMW FAN

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by m3brendan View Post
    Hey guys- seach is not showing up, so does anyone have the easy anwer I'm looking for? Went out to the car tonight and when I put the key in and turned, the steering wheel did not move into position like it normally does. The drivers seat controls also stopped working, but everything else seems fine. Is there a certain relay or fuse that could be the culprit. Unfortunately, my car didn't come with the owner's manual. Thanks alot in advance.

Brendan
    I have unplugged my seat control switch because there was a short that was causing the battery to drain. You might want to check the connector and switch.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by betep View Post
    Mine does the same thing sometimes, but then it starts working again.
    Same thing with A/C and heater.
    If the A/C problem is that the blower fan sometimes does not operate, you probably neeed a final stage unit.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    '00 528i Sport
    An unplugged seat control switch will give you that problem. We usually see broken plastic side seat trim panels that move and unplug the seat control switch.

My Cars
    540i AC Schnitzer
    Where is this control switch located? Just wondering.

My Cars
    x5 330i 525i all stick
    Quote Originally Posted by rjp528 View Post
    An unplugged seat control switch will give you that problem. We usually see broken plastic side seat trim panels that move and unplug the seat control switch.

Wise advice.

This happened to mine. I believe you need a 30 torx head socket to get the side cover off. I sprayed mine off with electrical cleaning spray and firmly re-plugged it back in. Seat and wheel have worked great ever since.

good luck

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by scbimmer View Post
    Where is this control switch located? Just wondering.
    its the switch behind the largest seat control button on your drivers seat. When you remove the plastic surround from the seat...you gain access to it...or you might be able to reach underneath if the seat isn't all the way down on the floor.

But as it was stated...if the plastic surround is not secure or gets leaned/pushed on...it may break...and if it does break...the wiring harness attached to that switch may work its way free as you (and other drivers) press against it upon entry and exit of the vehicle.

See #7 in the diagram below and the (largest) seat switch on the far left in 2nd pic below: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=61&fg=35

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    97 M3 and 78 f150
    My 528i is blowing the number 13 fuse and the drivers seat and the steering wheel quit working afterwards i believe it to be a shorted wire because i replaced the switch on the side because of it being broken. does anyone know any different solutions?