Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Seafoam DIY

My Cars
    1995 M3

Seafoam DIY

So I read through the 3-4 threads about running seafoam through our cars, but none of them had a procedure. I just seafoamed my car and I'll tell ya how I did it.

Step 1: Find small funnel (tip larger than 3/8), 3/8 clear tubing (home depot/kragen/pepboys..ect), electrical tape.

Step 2: Cut 14" of tubing and insert 1/2" into the tip of the funnel. Tape this off with the electrical tape. 7" up from the bottom of the tube, kink the tube and tie the kink off with electrical tape, leaving enough to be able to tear it off easily.

Step 3: Pull the vacuum line that goes from the brake booster (the thing behind your brake master cyl) to the intake. You just have to pull hard enough until the hose pops out. Don't worry about the hose clamp, you don't need to remove it because you will be pulling the 1 way check valve out which is inbetween the hose and the mastercyl. Twist the hose so that it is sticking up with the check valve up. Insert 3/8 hose into check valve hole and seal it off with the electrical tape.

Step 4: Start the car up. (Since you kinked off the line there is no vacuum leak and the car should idle just fine) Pour seafoam into funnel and slowly unkink the hose. Let the seafoam get sucked into the motor slowly so that it doesn't stall, refilling the funnel as needed. Don't worry if the car doesn't smoke much while putting the seafoam in, mine didn't smoke at all until step 6.

Step 5: After seafoam has been used (I used 3/4 bottle) kink the hose up and tie it off again. Shut off car and remove the hose from the check valve. Hook the hose/check valve back up. (Just push it back in the brake booster).

Step 6: I let my car sit for 2-3 minutes while I searched for my wallet (driver's lic). Then I drove it hard for 2-3 minutes. I had billowing white/black smoke the first few WOT bursts then it went away. I'm going to do the procedure again next weekend to see if I still get black smoke.

My Cars
    E30 M3, E34 M5, E36 M3

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by cstang68
    So I read through the 3-4 threads about running seafoam through our cars, but none of them had a procedure. I just seafoamed my car and I'll tell ya how I did it.

Step 1: Find small funnel (tip larger than 3/8), 3/8 clear tubing (home depot/kragen/pepboys..ect), electrical tape.

Step 2: Cut 14" of tubing and insert 1/2" into the tip of the funnel. Tape this off with the electrical tape. 7" up from the bottom of the tube, kink the tube and tie the kink off with electrical tape, leaving enough to be able to tear it off easily.

Step 3: Pull the vacuum line that goes from the brake booster (the thing behind your brake master cyl) to the intake. You just have to pull hard enough until the hose pops out. Don't worry about the hose clamp, you don't need to remove it because you will be pulling the 1 way check valve out which is inbetween the hose and the mastercyl. Twist the hose so that it is sticking up with the check valve up. Insert 3/8 hose into check valve hole and seal it off with the electrical tape.

Step 4: Start the car up. (Since you kinked off the line there is no vacuum leak and the car should idle just fine) Pour seafoam into funnel and slowly unkink the hose. Let the seafoam get sucked into the motor slowly so that it doesn't stall, refilling the funnel as needed. Don't worry if the car doesn't smoke much while putting the seafoam in, mine didn't smoke at all until step 6.

Step 5: After seafoam has been used (I used 3/4 bottle) kink the hose up and tie it off again. Shut off car and remove the hose from the check valve. Hook the hose/check valve back up. (Just push it back in the brake booster).

Step 6: I let my car sit for 2-3 minutes while I searched for my wallet (driver's lic). Then I drove it hard for 2-3 minutes. I had billowing white/black smoke the first few WOT bursts then it went away. I'm going to do the procedure again next weekend to see if I still get black smoke.
    If you could take a few quick pictures that would REALLY help those of us who don't know where the hell the master brake cylinder is.

My Cars
    1989 325i coupe / 1989 325i sedan / 1991 318is
    And maybe also add that the engine should be completely warmed up before starting the procedure.

My Cars
    E31 EIGHT, E39 FIVE
    x2 on the pictures - would really help.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Here is the brake booster vacuum hose:

Here is the 1 way valve:

Here is the funnel and 3/8 hose taped together:

And finally, here is the hose/valve twisted vertically:

My Cars
    1999 M3 Convertible
    simple & clear

nice job for those of us who have yet to try it...

thanks!

My Cars
    1997 Estoril M3
    nice write-up
    '97 Estoril ///M3- Dinan Intake, Dinan Gen I Exhaust, Dinan Stage 2 Software, Dinan Front Strut Tower Brace, FK Highsport Coilovers, Bilstein Shocks, TMS RSMs, Powerflex RTABs
    (KIA) '95 Cosmos ///M3- TMS Chip, ECIS Intake, UUC Red TMEs, UUC Clutch Stop, GC RSMs, JTD Underpanel

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    What's Sea Foam?

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    94 M353is
    old school 'motor cleaner'. its kinda like a solvent. can be used in all sorts of ways. IIRC, it can clean injectors, unstick lifters, clean out combustion chambers, etc. great stuff. available at most parts stores.

My Cars
    04 SilberGrau M3
    so it's like duesching your engine then, right?
    Sell me your E46 M3! PM me if it's 6 speed in Jet Black, Alpine or SilverGrey

My Cars
    M3
    seafoam is good stuff. can be added to oil crankcase, fuel tank and vaccum line.

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    Quote Originally Posted by berlinetta
    yeah basically, everything except for that fresh feeling. I should get around to doing this to a pair of my cars...this write up will be handy.

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    94 M353is
    Quote Originally Posted by berlinetta

My Cars
    m3
    thanks for the info, will be doing this very soon. my car has been acting funny lately.
    R.I.P. 328is
    current - 95 m3

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    3/8" outside or inside diamater? i want to check so my hose fits in the tightly into the valve, thanks

My Cars
    96' E36 ///M3
    could this help with a rough idle??

My Cars
    02 C5 Z06, 98 M3, 03 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggins22
    could this help with a rough idle??
    yeah, if carbon build up is the problem.
    --Jason

My Cars
    96' E36 ///M3
    could someone please explain the path the seafoam takes through the vacum line? meaning does it go into the cylinders out the exhust manifold...

My Cars
    95 M3 (92 330i RIP) 01 Ducati 748R 71 CS 88 Rover
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggins22
    could someone please explain the path the seafoam takes through the vacum line? meaning does it go into the cylinders out the exhust manifold...
    well from the looks of the way these guys did it. they let the vaccuum of the intake manifold pull it into the intake manifold and then im hoping it would give a somewhat decent distribution across the 6 cylinders...instead of just 5/6 where that vaccuum line is located. then it goes into cylinders...burns...cleans...whatever and then out the exhaust manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by onrailsm3 View Post
    In hugo terms

Quantum physics- his weiner and da butt.
    Newtonian physics- the resistance of the sphincter and the force to overcome it.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    The hose is 3/8 OD clear tubing.

My Cars
    97 M3 90 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilOne
    well from the looks of the way these guys did it. they let the vaccuum of the intake manifold pull it into the intake manifold and then im hoping it would give a somewhat decent distribution across the 6 cylinders...instead of just 5/6 where that vaccuum line is located. then it goes into cylinders...burns...cleans...whatever and then out the exhaust manifold.

OK... so does this vacume line allow the liquid to distribute to all cylinders... or just 5/6???

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i (WTB 3.64 diff)

My Cars
    95 M3 + 88 325is
    theres a couple of ways of putting it in, the vac line works well on most engines, however sometimes you get it unevenly distributed across the cylinders since its heavier than air. you can get a tube and a funnel and pour a little in each cylinder then crank it with fuel and spark disabled (plugs in, lol). however that wont get any into the intake manifold to clean that or the intake valves, but those intake valves get blasted with high pressure gasoline as it is and dont get that dirty.
    Gone but not forgotten:
    85: Audi Quattro
    95: Volvo 850R
    01: Mitsubishi Eclipse "Big Blackie"

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    worth a shot

My Cars
    94 M353is
    i wonder if it will screw the HFM up if one were to pour some in it along the bottom, away from the sensors themselves.......... seems to me it would distribute ok.

or since the manifold plenum is on a slope, you could pour a bunch in there and when you start the car each indiv cyl will pull in its own supply of seafoam.

input?

My Cars
    M3's
    How much does this stuff cost?
    Part outs, parts, cars, etc: Asmod3us's FS Threads
    Lots of parts on ebay: eBay Auctions

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast