Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Oops! at a Pocono Speedway DE

My Cars
    a great movie....

Oops! at a Pocono Speedway DE

My Cars
    '95 968; '88 924S
    Remind me to always stay behind the wall when the novice drivers are on track
    Tim (former bimmers, 95 and 03 M3s; I'm currently visiting the dark side)
    Current rides: Daily driver - '95 968; Track beast - '88 924S3 (924S chassis; 968 engine; S2 tranny/diff)

My Cars
    98 M3 #186 IP, 99 M3
    Was that a "grid" line, waiting to enter the track? If so, having it that close to a hot track would be unsafe at any track, with any type of run group other than parade laps. Damn.

My Cars
    1986 Mercedes 190E 16V
    Would have like to have heard what was being said in that car. The instructor looked rather agrivated that he pulled over. She kept grabbing the wheel.

My Cars
    a great movie....
    Looked to me he pulled off in order to keep filming the incident, and she was scolding him & struggling to get the car out of further danger.

Hence, he cut off the audio to cover his own stupidity.

My Cars
    996, S13, E46 E36, C4
    Quote Originally Posted by maranelloman
    Looked to me he pulled off in order to keep filming the incident, and she was scolding him & struggling to get the car out of further danger.

Hence, he cut off the audio to cover his own stupidity.
    That's exactly what I thought.

It's weird. At the track, some of the decisions people make comes off as if they are trying to make the situation even more dangers. I witnessed a month ago an incident where a car went off. Nothing major. It was out of the line of where most cars go off. Instead of the cars behind him continuing, ALL stopped to see what happened. This occurred at a high speed blind spot. It was AMAZING that all the other cars approcaing didn't hit the smart guys who stopped.

My Cars
    cars
    I hate that part of the infield...it should be used for the formula school stuff only. North and Full (and its combo) course are the only configurations i'd run at the track, the rest is a waste.

I've seen people spin on the straight on the full course, usually they have a clean spin, but its very weird to see a car spin. Usually its b/c its someone with 400-600hp and they shift into 4th and just light the tires up.

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by onasled
    Would have like to have heard what was being said in that car. The instructor looked rather agrivated that he pulled over. She kept grabbing the wheel.
    Yeah, instead of getting the heck out of the way, he decides to pull over and make things worse. I almost clobbered a car at the last VIR DE I did because a driver thought the best idea was to slow down and come to a stop on the track since someone had gone off in front of him...all of this happened at the top of the uphill esses at VIR where I'm in 6th gear with my foot to the floor and at the limit of my cornering adhesion.

My Cars
    ?
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Watts
    Yeah, instead of getting the heck out of the way, he decides to pull over and make things worse. I almost clobbered a car at the last VIR DE I did because a driver thought the best idea was to slow down and come to a stop on the track since someone had gone off in front of him...all of this happened at the top of the uphill esses at VIR where I'm in 6th gear with my foot to the floor and at the limit of my cornering adhesion.
    tisk, tisk, tisk Bryan Remember to keep your eyes up and looking ahead. You don't want to get caught out with a case of lazy eyes Especially in the wonderful, wacky world of DE's

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by BMLRacer
    tisk, tisk, tisk Bryan Remember to keep your eyes up and looking ahead. You don't want to get caught out with a case of lazy eyes Especially in the wonderful, wacky world of DE's
    Eyes were up, which is why I was able to avoid him at 135+ mph. I saw the car off the track and the other car starting to slow (the correct action), I just never expected that Mr. Duffus would decide come to a stop on the track at the apex of a 6th gear foot-to-the-floor turn just because a car had pulled about 6 car lengths off the track surface. In the end, there are very few things you can do at that speed and on that section of the track besides straighten up and go agricultural. Luckily, he left me about 2 feet of track at the apex, so I took it with one hand on the wheel and the other shaking my fist out the window.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '69 2002
    Wow that is scary. I was there Friday running that course (east course) and remember all of the cars that were involved. That must have happened Saturday.
    '95 M3 - GTS 2
    '69 2002

My Cars
    87 325is, 00 323iT
    why the hell were the corner workers cars on the wrong side of the jersey barriers? why did he pull off? why did he turn in early for that corner before? why did he arly apex the first corner and run out of race track? why was he on the wrong side of the track for entry to the next corner before he pulled off? WHY WHY WHY!!!

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    classic two-wheels-off-try-to-save-it-and-fly-across-the-track maneuver. Except it happened at turn-in instead of trackout, which shows the guy was simply not paying attention. Was he looking at the parked cars? But WTF were those cars doing there anyway? I doubt they'll line up there in future events.

What's funny is the nimrod videoing the whole thing nearly did the same thing in one of those early corners, it looked like he dropped a couple wheels off and you could see him steer back onto the track and the car got really squirrely. Lucky he was going slow enough not to spin.

At a Willow Springs DE I had an instructor tell me to stop on track even though the guys at the flag station didn't even have a yellow out yet for an off that we had already passed. They eventually red-flagged the session, but I thought he stopped me prematurely. Of course, the corner workers were not even looking at us, they were standing there with their thumbs up their butts looking back at the car that went off.
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Pete
    At a Willow Springs DE I had an instructor tell me to stop on track even though the guys at the flag station didn't even have a yellow out yet for an off that we had already passed.
    There are TWO reasons for stopping on the track surface, and your instructor telling you to is not one of them. The first reason is for a red flag. The second is to avoid a stopped car that is stopped directly in front of you (usually on occurs during a race start where lots of cars pile into a single turn). Otherwise, ALWAYS pull off the track surface if you need to stop.

My Cars
    00xp race ski, 08 750il
    I was there but not with pda rather emra in the race school. it happend at a bump in the stright before a left hander not while cornering. there are no barriers there which imo is wrong and will prob be changed now. the evo was pretty bad and the nsx had rear end past the driver side rear tire. the g35 had some bad intrusion at the frame rail. the evo driver went to the hospital i belive since he was not to aware of where he was (open face helmet and airbags went off). the nsx driver wasent in the car but right next to it so he almost got hit as well. now i did not see this but heard about it from someone who was right there.
    Cars sold now
    #150 WC emra
    andrew vovou

My Cars
    E36 M3 Techno, baby,
    Oh, the horror, the horror.

I wonder who's insurance is paying for the hit to the parked car? If the event organizers made them park there it will be interesting.

1998 E36 M3-4 track car Techoviolet
    1995 E36 M3-2 Boston green
    2006 E90 330xi

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    You guys can ask him yourself....

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/349269.phtml
    Eric WONGer
    2012 NASA Nationals GTS3 First Loser
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    E36 M3 Techno, baby,
    He never answers the question about why he did what he did.

1998 E36 M3-4 track car Techoviolet
    1995 E36 M3-2 Boston green
    2006 E90 330xi

My Cars
    cars
    Is she wearing a shoei motorcycle helmet?

My Cars
    Yes
    wow...just wow

i can't understand why there isn't a barrier between the track and the pits
    the iflysolo dude is offline numerous times and then pulls that bonehead move of pulling off track
    James
    '88 M3 (track and weekends) | '01 540i/6 (daily) | '95 4Runner (lifted and armored)

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    From various forums/posts.. it appears they were both trying to go for the coveted DE Championship Trophy:

"Funny thing is, one of my good friends girlfriend was the instructor in the car that caught the whole thing on video. She stated that she wasn't aware of the camera, and the guy in the car was friends with the guy in the EVO. They both didn't know how to drive for crap, and where trying to show boat and make a cool video for the internet - well, they got one... "

"It was never suppoused to be anything like a competition. On the last lap of the final session he was doing his best to run away from me. Its hard to say who won...
    He bought it new a year and a half ago. Very good mods too. Car was really strong."

My Cars
    cars
    I wonder if thier Sponsors are unhappy now?

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve J.
    James
    '88 M3 (track and weekends) | '01 540i/6 (daily) | '95 4Runner (lifted and armored)

My Cars
    #199 IP BMWCCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve J.

they've also decided not to allow DE Lap timers anymore.
    Eric WONGer
    2012 NASA Nationals GTS3 First Loser
    EX-#121 IP/GTS3 M3 SOLD
    Now-#121 GTS3 E46 M3

My Cars
    cars
    Yea, many have not allowed timers for a while due to insurance reasons and it being educational and not a "timed event." However, with GPS you dont need beacons out and can discretely use these loggers. (oh just saw the other time thread, haha makes sense now )

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast