Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: $5 O2 Simulator DIY ==56k no way==

My Cars
    Boosted 96' 328is

$5 O2 Simulator DIY ==56k no way==

So, you want to fool your computer into thinking that you have a cat or something to that nature? Here is the cure that i found that worked on my car. First off, i own a 1996 328is (obd2, very sensitive compared to obd1). So anywase, i was getting my cats removed by a shop around my house the next morning. There was no way that i could get a simulator shipped in that quick so i searched. Ebay is where i found the idea. All it is is a common spark plug non-fouler that can be found in any autoparts store. I just so happen to work at Autozone and so i gave it a try. All you do is thread in the o2 sensor into the non-fouler(like you would normally do with a spark plug as it is intended for) and then screw the whole thing into the 02 bung on the exhaust pipe. Remember this only works for after the cat, not before!!! I believe they were about $5 at the Autozone where i work. Should be the same wherever you go. You can do a search on them to figure out the theory behind them, im not here to teach how they work, just to show you results. Here are a few pics to help you visulize.

If you need to see what they look like, do a search on yahoo and type in "non fouler" you will see that others have done it as well and it really does work. I have been running mine for 4 weeks now with no CEL Give it a try and post up some results everyone becuase there is no need to spend $100 on o2 sim's somewhere!

Edit Update:Hey guys, i have the part numbers. Now i dont remember if I used the tappered edge or the flat edge. The tappered edge is the 42002 and the flat edge is the 42009. These are located in the help section at autozone. Either one will work for you, so just grab which ever. I dont think that the one that i used was tappered.
    Last edited by BMWjiggaB; 05-10-2006 at 01:28 PM.

DIY: $5 o2 simulator VORTECH 13PSI + AFTERCOOLER + METH

taseal is offline Member Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    '08 4x2 Patriot
    hey if that works, thats a GREATTT idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianbiz View Post
    I <3 j00 cause your threads are win.

My Cars
    Boosted 96' 328is
    It worked on my car, so i dont see why it wouldnt on anyone elses. Do a search on Yahoo like i said, and people have done it before.

My Cars
    GTS3 E36, 97 M3/4/5
    How many miles have you put on the car since installing these 'non-foulers'?

Do you have an auto-zone part number?

Thanks.

My Cars
    Boosted 96' 328is
    A little over a 1000 miles. I can get an autozone part number next time im up at work.

My Cars
    Boosted 96' 328is
    I really just ordered in an 02 sensor and tried it in one that fit, but i can do that again and see which one it was. There was about 4 different ones i believe but i will find out soon enough.

My Cars
    1995 325
    The simulator on the Yahoo site and on Ebay show two non-foulers screwed together. On your picture it looks like you only have one. Will just one work? I'm just curious, I don't have the extra o2's on my 95'.
    1995 325I, tinted windows, K&N, debaffled airbox, Nighthawk low beams, BMW style #104 wheels, smoked corners, smoked sidemarkers, smoked taillights, M3 style heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.

My Cars
    GTS3 E36, 97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWjiggaB
    A little over a 1000 miles. I can get an autozone part number next time im up at work.
    Thanks! I have Euro long-tubes on my 98 M3. Trips the lights every once in awhile. If these work, I'd be very happy!

My Cars
    02 X5-05 Jetta-924Runner
    I dont understand how this works as a simulator, can someone explain??

taseal is offline Member Secret Santa Deadbeat
    My Cars
    '08 4x2 Patriot
    not sure how it works... a nonfouler is just an adapter that raises the plug away a bit so it doesnt get oil deposits I believe... I guess in this case what it does is, it gets the probe out of the way of the exhaust fumes or osmething?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianbiz View Post
    I <3 j00 cause your threads are win.

My Cars
    1997 328 i Sport
    yeh less fumes over it must trick it then..

cool idea, don't need it in the UK as OBD2 cars only have pre cat O2's
    2.8L Club Member 219

My Cars
    Boosted 96' 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by tomt30273
    The simulator on the Yahoo site and on Ebay show two non-foulers screwed together. On your picture it looks like you only have one. Will just one work? I'm just curious, I don't have the extra o2's on my 95'.
    I had never seen it with 2 on there before, but i just used one and it works.

My Cars
    Boosted 96' 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanmgregory
    I dont understand how this works as a simulator, can someone explain??
    All that you are trying to do is make it to that the front and rear o2's dont give the computer the same reading on the exhaust gas. When you remove your cats, your rear o2's see the same exhaust as the front. When you have your cats in, the cats clean it up a little bit and that changes what the rear sees. So pretty much, relocating the o2 sensor(spark plug non fouler) it fools the computer enough to where it doesnt throw the cel. I tried it becuase i figured that i would only be out like $5 if it didnt. I would rather risk $5 then go and spend $100 on a stupid simulator if i can get the same thing for cheaper. Just try it and dont question it, lol.

My Cars
    97 M3, 96 318i
    hey, yeah it works on pretty much every car out there, my friend did the exact same thing on his 2005 nissan sentra on ALL the o2's and it worked.

My Cars
    Boosted 96' 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by elements018
    hey, yeah it works on pretty much every car out there, my friend did the exact same thing on his 2005 nissan sentra on ALL the o2's and it worked.
    Well i would NOT recomend doing it to all o2's but if thats what you want to do, dont come after me when you have problems.

My Cars
    Boosted 96' 328is
    My check engine light came on today and i was thinking it was those sims and i was cursing like crazy and when i checked it up at work it was just my gas cap! lol. So, the sims are still working!

My Cars
    e36 325i coupe blk
    what is the part no.?

My Cars
    Boosted 96' 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by tomt30273
    I was just looking at my pics again, and two would not fit with the o2. It would raise it up to high. If you see my pics you can see that its pretty close.

My Cars
    Boosted 96' 328is
    Hey guys, i have the part numbers. Now i dont remember if I used the tappered edge or the flat edge. The tappered edge is the 42002 and the flat edge is the 42009. These are located in the help section at autozone. Either one will work for you, so just grab which ever. I dont think that the one that i used was tappered.

My Cars
    E70d
    I will try this out to see if it quits giving me the 1221 Primary O2 sensor code I use on my track piped M3.

My Cars
    Boosted 96' 328is
    Please do try it out, i know how annoying that cel is!

My Cars
    E70d
    Yeah. I dont want to grow accustomed to seeing it, then miss a CEL code that is really bad

My Cars
    2014 X1 xdrive/2013 WRX
    everything still cool with your O2s not throwing a code?

Im going to give this a shit (buys sims for 200 a pair has been stopping me from making a track pipe)

you are a god among men, good thinking man!!!!!!

My Cars
    99 Dakar M3, 87 Gunmetal 325
    This isnt a "sim" simulator is something that simulates something thats not there to begin with. Here you still need place to mount O2 and o2 itself

My Cars
    2014 X1 xdrive/2013 WRX
    its not a O2 sim, no- it is somthing that will allow you to run without cats and not throw a code- i hope

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast