Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pablo's (vaderM3) latest #s

My Cars
    wide hooptie

Pablo's (vaderM3) latest #s

We all know that Pablo has been kinda MIA lately and I've always enjoyed the write up he has on european car magazine's Project M3.It's been a while since we got an update on his car especially with the new set up.

But just got some great news from him yesterday. The project M3 is up and running and putting down some great #s. Here is the info I received.

ahh, finally I can say I'm done with the M3 (well, I still have the 2.93 rear end to go in but that has nothing to do with the motor so...
    went to the dyno today and was pleasantly surprised.* most guys run boost with ignition advance in the high teens on pump fuel, I decided to stick with my conservative tune of just 9.9 degrees, which is nothing and should supposedly yield very low HP/PSI.* but I'd rather make power with boost rather than ignition because the potential to blow a gasket with too much ignition is much greater.*
    but still, 18 PSI, some race fuel in the mix (just in case), car had ZERO knock.* in fact, my knock sensor, that I have tuned*to be very sensitive, only registered the same amount of internal engine noise at cyls 5 and 6 that I had at part-throtte at 5000rpm in 1st, ...* and we're talking 527whp, 460 lb-ft of torque.*
    so me be happy.* I'm still going to driver her around at 450-ish because it's just really really fast.* but it gives me more confidence in going over 600whp with the Supra when I get her back.* Pablo

some old pics...

T66 turbo with custom intake manifold...

Just waiting for the Mustang dyno sheet and I'll post it here.

Way to go man. You make all of us boostjunky proud

"If you want to see misery, give people more than what they need." -C.S. Lewis

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i
    Damn, those are awesome numbers! Congrats Pablo, its been a long time since we talked, but that is really impressive!
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    328i, 330i ZHP, X3
    Congrats!

I've been missing that usual progress write-up in EC mag.
    '08 328i E92, '05 330i ZHP, '04 X3 3.0, '96 DASC 318is (gone), '96 M3 AA C38 (gone), '07 335i (gone)

My Cars
    2014 C63 AMG
    Pablo's car, in my opinion, has been one of those pinnacle Turbo M3's ... I feel like he's one of the few guys that got the whole "Turbo M3 realm" started and where we are today (along Gene Liu and a couple other guys).

Congrats on the numbers!

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    i feel slow...

My Cars
    wide hooptie
    Quote Originally Posted by Armo95
    Pablo's car, in my opinion, has been one of those pinnacle Turbo M3's ... I feel like he's one of the few guys that got the whole "Turbo M3 realm" started and where we are today (along Gene Liu and a couple other guys).
    I agree, him and Shingo (www.turbobmw.com) fueled my addiction for turbos. We should really send them our credit card bills cause it all their fault

I gotta add Pablo in boostjunky's 500+HP club now.

My Cars
    Honda
    thats some power on a Mustang dyno.
    Pablo seems like one hell of a cool guy.

My Cars
    E34 535i TCD S3 Turbo, e46 m3
    congrats pablo........ correct me if i am wrong but his supra is running a 74 gts? i can't wait to see that thing when it is all said and done!

TCD S3 Completed! 400 rwhp/455 tq. Tuned by Larry Strouth @ HP Works.
    www.Turbochargingdynamics.com
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...929post7215929 <-------Parts for sale

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    What kind of CR is he running? With a bit of race fuel in there you could probably bump the timing up a hair more with no problems at 18 psi assuming the CR isn't that high.

My Cars
    wide hooptie
    Quote Originally Posted by Def
    What kind of CR is he running? With a bit of race fuel in there you could probably bump the timing up a hair more with no problems at 18 psi assuming the CR isn't that high.

He's running 8.2:1. He did say that with 20 degrees he should be at around 560-575whp but he said he doesn't need it. He's satisfied with the way its set up right now but I'm giving him couple of months and once he gets used to the power I'm sure he'll come back for more.. typical boostjunky

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Yea... it's just that timing retarded from MBT(maximum best timing) leads to higher EGTs and usually water/oil temps since you are letting more heat energy out the exhaust versus letting it do expansion work.

He's definitely right in that lower timing helps head gaskets live longer though.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Congratulations to Pablo!

I have to say, I had the honor of meeting him before he moved away from Cali, and he is a very nice, well put together sorta guy. He really deserves to have his M3 running in that condition. For 9.9 degrees of timing at only 18psi and mostly pump fuel, that is really sick! I really like his car and I hope he enjoys the hell out of it. I know he has had some bumpy times with her in the last year so it is so sweet to see these results, especially on a Mustang!
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    08 535i, 95 540 MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by jonsibal
    We all know that Pablo has been kinda MIA lately and I've always enjoyed the write up he has on european car magazine's Project M3.It's been a while since we got an update on his car especially with the new set up.

But just got some great news from him yesterday. The project M3 is up and running and putting down some great #s. Here is the info I received.

ahh, finally I can say I'm done with the M3 (well, I still have the 2.93 rear end to go in but that has nothing to do with the motor so...
    went to the dyno today and was pleasantly surprised.* most guys run boost with ignition advance in the high teens on pump fuel, I decided to stick with my conservative tune of just 9.9 degrees, which is nothing and should supposedly yield very low HP/PSI.* but I'd rather make power with boost rather than ignition because the potential to blow a gasket with too much ignition is much greater.*
    but still, 18 PSI, some race fuel in the mix (just in case), car had ZERO knock.* in fact, my knock sensor, that I have tuned*to be very sensitive, only registered the same amount of internal engine noise at cyls 5 and 6 that I had at part-throtte at 5000rpm in 1st, ...* and we're talking 527whp, 460 lb-ft of torque.*
    so me be happy.* I'm still going to driver her around at 450-ish because it's just really really fast.* but it gives me more confidence in going over 600whp with the Supra when I get her back.* Pablo

some old pics...

T66 turbo with custom intake manifold...

Just waiting for the Mustang dyno sheet and I'll post it here.

Way to go man. You make all of us boostjunky proud

Those are truly good numbers..........congrats Pab!

I am waiting to see where My E36 falls on the scale

My Cars
    332 turbo
    congrats on the numbers, setup looks pretty sick.

david

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    I don't even care about the numbers...those engine shots are just pure sex...
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    02 M3, 95 Supra
    hey guys...seriously, thanks for all the kind words. yeah I've been dying to get this thing done. I've had this setup for just over a year now and just had one bad luck streak after another last year, but none having to do with the turbocharging itself. were more motor (block) related, but now all that is fixed/replaced. stuff just takes a lot of time to get it done the way you want.

Yeah, I know, the car can do a whole lot more, and I do have the fuel system for it. But seriously, at anything sub-120mph, anything over 450whp on my sized street tires is a joke. and for now the street is where I plan to drive it on--I think my track days are over (just with this car).
    so I'm really happy with where it's at. the spool up is a little later than some other folks I'm sure, but that's mostly due to ignition timing. this turbo will spool awfully fast (I did run 22 degrees in the midrange once and it was unbelievable), but it's just not worth it to me for the engine's sake, plus I just roast tires that much sooner anyways. Ign is low, but EGTs are good at 1400-1500+ F peak recall reading at the headers (pre-turbo), about 1100 F cruising.
    The car did better than I thought it would, especially since it's on a stock 95 cam. Tony at VAC's cyl head work, SFR's piping/manifolds, and Turbonetics' turbo and intercooler are to thank for that.

You know, although I very much appreciate the mention of some of this credit, I have to give credit where credit is due, though. I do recall shooting a picture of Jon Sibal's car at the LA auto show like in 96 or 97 with a turbo on it, and I couldn't believe it at that time. Then a visit to AA in 97 changed it all for me and I was hooked. So that's where most of my own turbo inspirations came from--and I believe Jon's been turbocharged longer than any of us on this forum, if I'm not mistaken.

Shingo was also turbocharged way before I was, and I think he and Tampaturbo were the pioneers for some good drag race ETs given their setups on a street car.

Also, although I had already been thinking of a top-mount turbo after seeing pictures of a car in Thailand with the setup, the first time I saw pictures of Cameron's (highboostingM3) setup made me realize more the possibilities of having a top-mount, although I of course took a different approach to it. We (Speed Force Racing and I) thought we'd be the first ones to do it on the driver side ala "Porsche 944T", but after I had already made up my mind I was disappointed to see Patrick's (E34biturbo) blue widebody car (which is beautiful, btw). So Tim at SFR thought "ok, there's actually a different approach we can take here, which will work," and that's what you'll finally see published soon. It's in the plumbing. Some people saw it last year at Bimmerfest.

So some very significant things on my car were inspired by some people on this forum. My main thing in the magazine was not to make the most power (that should be obvious by now), but to show a lot of naysayers that a turbo M3 could perform and be reliable on the racetrack, which I feel I did. And I never got towed home. . and then I just wanted to go for a little more power with something different, but also with something that would be advantageous in some areas like the use of headers, good turbo oil drain, easier turbo swapping, intake manifold removal, and even looks, etc.

But yeah I'm just ecstatic about the car. finally got a stereo in there after two years absence so it just feels like a whole new car all over again.

Huge thanks to these guys for this stage, each company had a tremendous role:

Lawson and Greg, AEM
    Johnny, Turbonetics,
    Tim, Speed Force Racing
    (as always) Bob, Brad, Steve, Ken, Simon, Gary K; evosport
    Chuck and Kathy, JE Pistons
    Zeke, Ferrea
    Tony, VAC Motorsports
    Rob, UUC
    Josh, House of Power
    Tanya, Magnaflow
    Richard, Dan; Swain Tech
    Al and Anthony; BMP Design

many more to thank/mention, but that will come in a few months time in the mag. thanks ya'll!
    1995 Supra turbo, 6sp, 830whp info
    Sold:
    2003 M-B S600 V12 TT Renntech, 527whp info
    2002 BMW M3, 6sp, 325whp info
    1997 BMW M3, 260whp, info
    1995 BMW M3 turbo, 550whp, info
    1997 BMW M3
    1996 BMW M3, stock
    1986 Porsche 951, 338whp
    1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
    1983 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
    1975 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT

My Cars
    02 M3, 95 Supra
    Quote Originally Posted by gol10dr1
    congrats pablo........ correct me if i am wrong but his supra is running a 74 gts? i can't wait to see that thing when it is all said and done!
    thanks. it is actually a 71-GTS. and I hear ya, I can't wait either!! it's been in the shop for months just waiting for its completed motor to go in. UPFD has been remodeling, though, and the owner just had a kid so I gotta wait. If I didn't have the M3 I'd be going absolutely crazy, especially with the beautiful weather (that's right Californians!) we've got here.
    Sold:
    1997 BMW M3
    1996 BMW M3, stock
    1986 Porsche 951, 338whp
    1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
    1983 Alfa Romeo GTV-6

My Cars
    M3, Range Rover SC
    Amazing job! Your hard work and dedication has inspired a lot of us fellow junkies throughout the years. Hopefully sometime I’ll get to see the beast in person. Which dyno did you end up using?

My Cars
    02 M3, 95 Supra
    Quote Originally Posted by Iding SIII
    Amazing job! Your hard work and dedication has inspired a lot of us fellow junkies throughout the years. Hopefully sometime I’ll get to see the beast in person. Which dyno did you end up using?
    thanks, and vice versa. I remember seeing pics of your car years ago. beauty. Is that a freakin' steel-braided radiator pipe on there??

Anyways, I was at Imagine Auto's dyno. I'll be doing most of my testing there from now on. And I don't know....I wouldn't always believe all of this Dynojet vs. Mustang conservatism hype. I think it just depends on the software the dyno is using that can fudge numbers. but when I tested at my lowest boost level (easiest to replicate--just turn ebc off), it was withing 3hp or so of what I dynoed on evosport's Dynojet 248C at same boost level using same tune. Unfortunately, there wasn't a dyno of a stock M3 to compare as well on there, but I'll have to dyno the wife's M3 soon there anyways.
    Sold:
    1997 BMW M3
    1996 BMW M3, stock
    1986 Porsche 951, 338whp
    1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
    1983 Alfa Romeo GTV-6

My Cars
    M3, Range Rover SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader M3
    thanks, and vice versa. I remember seeing pics of your car years ago. beauty. Is that a freakin' steel-braided radiator pipe on there??

Anyways, I was at Imagine Auto's dyno. I'll be doing most of my testing there from now on. And I don't know....I wouldn't always believe all of this Dynojet vs. Mustang conservatism hype. I think it just depends on the software the dyno is using that can fudge numbers. but when I tested at my lowest boost level (easiest to replicate--just turn ebc off), it was withing 3hp or so of what I dynoed on evosport's Dynojet 248C at same boost level using same tune. Unfortunately, there wasn't a dyno of a stock M3 to compare as well on there, but I'll have to dyno the wife's M3 soon there anyways.
    You're certainly welcome and thank you! Yeah, the upper rad. hose is something stupid like -24AN if I remember correctly.

Not to stray off-topic but Steven and the gang run a great operation from what I have seen. They seem to be very knowledgeable with not only P-cars but anything with wheels. I will probably end up taking my car to IA and have the motor broken in on the Dyno and eventually tune it also.

I think your findings are an excellent example of the consistency of "most" dyno machines. It also shows how accurate they can be when they have competent operators using them as well.

My Cars
    E30S50, E46, E39 M5
    I remember seeing your car at Bfest last year. The turbo configuration is definately different. Beauty of a car, really. Of course you got no knock, running a more or less conservative ignition timing like that will result in that. Of course one shouldn't go so far as to push the ignition to the point where it's relying on the knock sensors alone to keep the car from exploding, but you don't have to be that conservative either. I mean it's comforting to know that if one of your sensors eats shit and stops producing a useable signal your engine won't risk dying, but they're fairly tough, and there's two of them. Granted they meet at a single harness, but their connectors are isolated.

E46 328Ci
    Carbon Fiber Everything | BBS LM Reps | Koni FSD Eibach Pro Kit | CSL Replica Bumper & Trunklid | Haters Gonna Hate
    Frankenmotor S50 swapped E30 325is.
    Billy Sports | Eibach Pro Springs | IE 22/19 Sway kit | Supersprint Headers | Stealth Straightpipes | Ported Head | 3-Angle Valve Grind | Conforti

My Cars
    Mini Cooper S Cab
    Good stuff Pablo, wish I would have known you were coming into the shop to dyno, I would have come out and seen it. Sweet numbers indeed!!

My Cars
    02 M3, 95 Supra
    thanks guys! and Triggerhappi, I hear ya--but after you go what I've gone thru (not just with this car) over the past 1.5 years, you tend to REALLY error on the side of caution. May sound funny but my own satisfaction is the most important thing right now, and I totally am. Shoot my wife would never even let me sell the car if I wanted because she just wants me to enjoy it, and now I can.

Anyways, see if these links work:
    Runs done at 17 PSI (~500whp), 10 degrees ignition. The EMS registered 70-150 in 12.1-sec, and 100-150 in 8.8s.

35-90 MPH:
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...bc917854b8.htm

65-155 MPH:
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b...bde6429994.htm

man, I seriously dunno why I would need more power than this in this car. I figured I'd just try this once and while I'm at it get video of it.
    Last edited by Vader M3; 08-06-2006 at 12:05 PM.
    Sold:
    1997 BMW M3
    1996 BMW M3, stock
    1986 Porsche 951, 338whp
    1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
    1983 Alfa Romeo GTV-6

My Cars
    95 M3
    sweet vids even sweeter car.
    95 M3, 5.3 LS, PTE 7675CEA, TH400/Gear Vendors OD
    10.4@136 Pump gas at 3530lbs.

Build thread
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...LS-Turbo-build

My Cars
    95 Alpine M3, 2000 Wrangler Sport

droool...

I've been following the buildup of your ride since the beginning and I'm really happy for you! I know the feeling of rebuilding a motor only to lose it shortly there after. It happened to me in high school with my S-10 pickup. Anyway, I will be getting an e36 m3 this spring and thanks to you and your awesome write ups, I will save a ton of money and frustration modding the hell out of it.

Enjoy your ride!

Tim
    "If one truly wants something, obtaining it becomes a mere matter of time"
    BMWCCA MEMBER #341980

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast