Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: MAR Installfest Take II: May 14, 2006.

My Cars
    stuff

MAR Installfest Take II: May 14, 2006.

When: 10:00 AM - May 14, 2006.
    Where: 6025 Hofstra Ct. Springfield, VA 22152 (Skunkman's Place)
    Who: Anyone who needs to install some stuff, or wants to help us all install stuff.

Just make a list of who wants to do what, and if you need any tools or anything special. Also, would we like to do another cookout this time, or perhaps all just go get dinner somewhere as a group after its all over?

Roll Call:
    1. Dougmoney (Brake Light Switch)
    Last edited by SpeedTheory; 04-17-2006 at 10:06 AM.

My Cars
    95' MugelloRot M3 (07/94)
    2. 2k (Pending RTABs)

-> For Sale: e36 95-99 (M3) Bentley Manual in PDF format. FTP download. PM me for details. <-
    2kmph.com

My Cars
    03 Tahoe Z71/03 Camry
    That's the day of the huge X5world.com DC meet. Gonna be taking place in Kingstowne if anyone wants to swing by and look at some sweet X's.
    -Ken

My Cars
    stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by GUINNESS
    That's the day of the huge X5world.com DC meet. Gonna be taking place in Kingstowne if anyone wants to swing by and look at some sweet X's.
    What time is the X5 meet? We could split the day in two, and have Chipotle at 3:00PM, come back around 4-4:30ish to finish our stuff, and also check out the X5 Meet.

My Cars
    03 Tahoe Z71/03 Camry
    Think it's starting around noon. Some people are arriving on Friday, but it's scheduled for the whole weekend, but the meet itself I believe starts around noon. Last year there was a huge one in one of the Carolina's.
    -Ken

My Cars
    2009 135i
    2. 2k (Pending RTABs)
    3. Tochenzo (RTABs, maybe underdrive pullies)

National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673

My Cars
    92 525i 5spd
    Ill be out of town that weekend, or I would be there... my little sister is graduating from college.

Finally got my suspension and shift carrier bushings installed! Stereo goes in next week, and I hope to have rims by next month...

Then Im DONE! I swear it! (repeat ad nauseum)
    Photoshopically challenged

My Cars
    99 ///M3
    I dont want to hijack this thread, but who can help me find my vacuum leak this weekend in Arlington? By the 13th I will be all moved in at my new house by skunkman's

-Goob

My Cars
    '97 Estoril M3 Coupe
    I might have exhaust waiting by then, not sure. At the very least I know I need to replace my driver side tie rod assembly, not sure if that's pushing my luck at an install fest or not haha, you all tell me.
    |'97 M3 Coupe | Estoril Blue | http://www.************.com Phelps Sports | PMG Pictures
    [img]http://www.************.com/M301.jpg[/img]

My Cars
    red poopbox
    Quote Originally Posted by E36DJ
    I might have exhaust waiting by then, not sure.
    ooh ooh tell us!!

Element Tuning - 2008/2009 NJMP Redline Time Attack/Formula X Champions [Street & Modified]
    RightFootDown

FS: E36 OEM fogs | UUC Chromoly RLCA's

My Cars
    stuff
    I might have exhaust waiting by then, not sure. At the very least I know I need to replace my driver side tie rod assembly, not sure if that's pushing my luck at an install fest or not haha, you all tell me.
    Come on out anyways, I've been anxious to meet teh infamous E36DJ.

My Cars
    Wrangler, Jetta TDI
    If people show up early enough (meaning you and whoever knows what theyre doing, we should be ok).

My Cars
    Jetta
    Thanks dougmoney for pointing me to this thread.

Hey guys, I need to ask for some help. I have an extensive project that has gotten away from me to some extent.

These are the following things I need to do to my car as soon as I can.
    (This is on a 97 328is)

I have a front subframe.
    I need to drill and install nutserts for the x-brace.
    I have new M3 control arms, and LCABs including all new hardware.
    I have to install new tie rods. I have all the hardware and boots etc.

I have an M3 brake conversion.
    I need to rebuild the calipers, install new brake pads, ss brake lines and M3 master cylinder, also an ss clutch line. I have new brake fluid.
    I have new rotors as well.

I have front and rear sway bars to install.

I can't remember if I have already installed the tranny bushings or not.

I have a rear subframe.
    I need to install all new bushings.
    I have an M3 diff. I need to refill the fluid in this as well as the tranny.
    I have the control arms and trailing arms.
    I have new camber arms.
    I have all new bearings and hardware.
    I have the trailing arm bushings and shims.

I have to check but I think I might have a new flex disk.

I also have GC track school kit with camber plates and RSM.

I also have an M3 front buper with lip and JTD underpanel. I have all new moldings, brackets, brake ducts etc. I might have to buy new wheel well liners, but I haven't checked yet.

I also have an autodimming rear view mirror that I haven't really felt like dealing with so it has been sitting in the garage for a while.

I have a huge garage and a lot of tools. They aren't quite set up nicely yet but they are there. I have done a lot of work to my car and can basically do most of this work myself, but I haven't had a chance to get around to it. I want to get the car ready to go for autox season. You can see the DIYs that I did in my sig. I was going to think about paying to get some of this work done, but the money I had set aside ran out. I do have a number of extra E36 parts in the garage that I need to sell and could possibly scrounge up some cash to get some of the work done. Most notably the setting of the rear trailing arms and the alignment. I don't have the brake line or bending tool to route the new M3 master cylinder, but that is probably not a huge deal.

Anyway, any help that you could provide would be awesome. I don't need to drive the car every day for the most part so I don't have to get it all done at once. The first step might be to build up the new suspension on the floor of the garage to prepare it to be swapped for what is currently there.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    I did an exhaust install...I think I have pictures in my buildup/teardown thread. Anyway, inspect the hangers and bolts. If they are rusted or sagging, you might have to buy new ones. I did. It would be better to be prepared. Also, you might want to spray some penetrating oil into the exhaust joints where the catback connects to the cats. Those can be tough bolts to get loose.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Wrangler, Jetta TDI
    We might be able to do a few of those things, but no way we'll be able to do even half. Our last one was very overestimated in terms of what we could get done.

My Cars
    stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by sKunkman
    We might be able to do a few of those things, but no way we'll be able to do even half. Our last one was very overestimated in terms of what we could get done.
    That was true. I may not even end up doing the brake light switch, may just replace a windshield squirter valve + hose.

My Cars
    2009 135i
    i also need to fix one of my x-brace bolts, one of the nutserts came off, but the bolt is stuck in there so i need to cut that off and put a new nutsert in. Does anyone have anything that can cut through the bolt/nutsert?

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by sKunkman
    I wouldn't expect that for this event. However, if there is anyone familiar with any of this who would be interested in helping any time, I would love it.

I have a good set of tools as well as air tools and a nice size garage. So, in exchange for help, I could offer use of facility, alcoholic beverages etc. You know the drill. This project is going to take some time. I want to build up the new stuff by pressing in the bushings and mounting the parts together etc. Then I may just pay a shop to swap it in.

Thanks again.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by Tochenzo
    i also need to fix one of my x-brace bolts, one of the nutserts came off, but the bolt is stuck in there so i need to cut that off and put a new nutsert in. Does anyone have anything that can cut through the bolt/nutsert?
    I imagine you are having the trboule where the nutsert is spinning in the subframe? If so, I would drill out the bolt, rather than cutting the head off. then you would need to cut or drill out the nutsert.

I don't think my bolt-out kit will help in this case. I do have drill bits though. I think that once you get the bolt out of the nutsert, if the nutsert is spinning in the subframe, you can probably deform it with some pliers and work it out. Otherwise you might need a dremel to get in there and cut it out. I don't yet have a dremel.

My Cars
    stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool
    I wouldn't expect that for this event. However, if there is anyone familiar with any of this who would be interested in helping any time, I would love it.

I have a good set of tools as well as air tools and a nice size garage. So, in exchange for help, I could offer use of facility, alcoholic beverages etc. You know the drill. This project is going to take some time. I want to build up the new stuff by pressing in the bushings and mounting the parts together etc. Then I may just pay a shop to swap it in.

Thanks again.
    I'm always down to help wrench, but skills aren't at the top.

My Cars
    Jetta
    At this point, I think I can do most things on the car, but an extra set of hands is something I don't have.

Let's see, I have completely stripped and re-installed 4 interiors. I have taken the seats apart, removed an engine and helped re-install it, diff swap, exhaust, SSK, full coolant system replacement including radiator, x-brace, HIDs, steering wheel swap, cluster swap, brake swap, and stripped a car to the sheet metal, disassembled the sunroof cassette, upgraded to HK audio, swapped side mirrors, removed doors/fenders/hood/trunk, replaced the metal strip along the top of the door and rear vent windows, removed the glass, breakswitch replacement, microfilter replacement, seat release cable replacement.

So I can help out with many things if anyone needs the help.

Heck, I would be interested in maybe going in with 1 or 2 people to buy wrecked cars and part them out. If anyone is interested, let me know.

My Cars
    2009 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool
    I imagine you are having the trboule where the nutsert is spinning in the subframe? If so, I would drill out the bolt, rather than cutting the head off. then you would need to cut or drill out the nutsert.

I don't think my bolt-out kit will help in this case. I do have drill bits though. I think that once you get the bolt out of the nutsert, if the nutsert is spinning in the subframe, you can probably deform it with some pliers and work it out. Otherwise you might need a dremel to get in there and cut it out. I don't yet have a dremel.
    yea but when i drill the bolt the nutsert spins too

My Cars
    stuff
    So who is actually coming? If we don't get more than two or three people, no real reason to hold it as an installfest.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Try drilling into the side of the nutsert and see if that will start the deforming process.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Hold the bolt head with a wrench...then drill it out.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast