My Cars
    97 Evil M3/4, 01 M5

Talking It has begun!

If this is any hint of whats to come, then so be it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    M3 Sedan Club President #21

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Dude, someone ganked part of your engine? Congrats.

My Cars
    332 turbo
    how did some1 break into your hood and steel all that stuff?

My Cars
    -
    new valve cover gasket?
    -Dan | '99 911 C2 | '02 M3 | '91 318i

My Cars
    08 M6 Coupe
    OMG, brings back such fond memories...

If you're still working on it in the summer, I can give you a hand.

good luck

My Cars
    E60
    lloks like you are doing cams or you are going to finish the turbo project

My Cars
    none
    looks like twinscrew to me...

My Cars
    95 M3
    turbo

My Cars
    F82 M4 (2016)
    Quote Originally Posted by binh
    looks like twinscrew to me...
    yep
    ...flieg wenn du fliegen kannst,
    lieb wenn du lieben kannst,
    weil du nie kriegst was du kriegen kannst...

> Past bimmers ||| 86 325ix ||| 90 325ix ||| 91 318is *RIP* ||| 92 320is ||| 94 320is ||| 93 520iT ||| 89 M3 ||| 96 M3 *RIP* <
    "I would rather die on my feet, than live on my knees." "What good is freedom if we are afraid to follow our conscience?"

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by Fissionx
    new valve cover gasket?

That's exactly what he's doing.

Drive Safely,
    Raza
    wishing my valve cover gasket gave me 200 more hp...
    Current:
    2016 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Past:
    1994 E36 BMW Dinan 3
    1998 E36 BMW ///M3/4
    2000 E39 BMW ///M5
    2002 E46 BMW ///M3
    2008 E60 BMW 550i M-Sport

My Cars
    97 Evil M3/4, 01 M5
    Currently the head is off, but before we can proceed further, I need to grind down some notches on the SPA Manifold so that it will fit properly on the head, and put some rtv high temp sealant on cyl port #6 since apparently, there has been some exhaust leak there w/ these manifolds. (Thanks for the advice bbaz!)

I need to buy some silicon hoses for the water lines to the turbo, oil return fitting, vband clamp and some other stuff tommorow.

Looking at the motormount, I decided to change it since Im changing the mount and it's easy access right now.

Its coming along, as with any DIY kit, unexpected delays happen. Special thanks to my friend for helping me out, dunno what I would do w/o him! (See if anyone know's who he is ).
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    Coolness. Keep up the good work. Also, make sure you are plugging those intake ports with some clean rags/paper towels and cover the opened head as well.

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    98 turbo M3-TT stg1
    haa, those hands did look familiar! Looks like you guys started your car. Im sure itl be a beast

Tom-
    98 M3/4
    Euro six speed/M5 clutch/Uuc lightweight flywheel/Technique Tuning Turbo kit w/ Tec 3r/Snow Stage 2 W/Meth Injection/9 lbs boost

FOR SALE:
    Euro E36 Large case Differential with Carrier
    Euro Six speed with accessories( Also have six speed with worn 3rd gear synchro)
    Euro E36 Halfshafts

My Cars
    M3Saloon 325iC 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by RRdawho?
    Special thanks to my friend for helping me out, dunno what I would do w/o him! (See if anyone know's who he is ).
    Yih Woei's the man!!! Make sure you take lotsa pics when fitting the turbo...and take notes so you and Yih Woei can help me with mine!
    /// Technique Tuning Stage 2 Powered /// Auto-to-Manual swap / CES Cut Ring / M50 Manifold / NGKs / VPD Oil Cooler / Aquamist / Zionsville Alloy Radiator / Fan RESTORE - SPAL DELETE/ AA Turbo Clutch / AA Lwt Flywheel / AA DSB / GC Track COs / Motorforce Camber Plates / Strong Strut / UUC Evo III / UUC RSC36 / UUC Swaybarbarians / UUC TMEs / JTD Underpanel / VDO Gauges / PLX M500 / Greddy Profec II / ZKWs / CATZ HIDs / Euro Clears / Blanton 2.93LSD Diff - Uli race proven / Radowski Diff Brace / ALL DIY!

My Cars
    98 323is
    I have a quick question, when you changed the oil filter cap, did you drain any oil out first? I opened mine before I did an oil change, and oil started spilling (obviously). I need to put my S/C oil cap on and just did an oil change last week, so I dont want to drain any oil out if possible. How did you go about changing yours?

My Cars
    e39's
    That 3rd photo has some crude tools. (crescent wrench), its nice to see you dont have to have a complete auto shop to do turbo work..
    As I stated before, communicate well and often, especially when the news is not going to be pleasant.

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Now that I see this, I approve!

Boost big or boost home!
    <br>

Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    95 M3; VSR Tuned.
    ^^ is that Nitro? lol good work..

WHat turbo are you going with?
    98' TECHNOVIOLET M3 PROJECT: STREETSLAYER'topsecretarea51status' UNDER MAJOR SURGERY! SHES IN BETTER HANDS NOW....

Sold: Gone, but...I'd buy them all back!
    05' Interlagos Blue ZCP M3 Slick Top, 6spd Man'sTrans, M-Alcantara Manual Seats: the unicorn that ran away
    95' Dinan "Collection" sans S/C 5spd M3 Sil/Blk.
    97' M3/4/5 Sil/Mulberry ActiveAutowerke Stg. 2 Turbo

My Cars
    97 Evil M3/4, 01 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by danp412
    I have a quick question, when you changed the oil filter cap, did you drain any oil out first? I opened mine before I did an oil change, and oil started spilling (obviously). I need to put my S/C oil cap on and just did an oil change last week, so I dont want to drain any oil out if possible. How did you go about changing yours?
    Hm, IIRC, I didn't drain the oil till later, in fact the valve cover was already off and I still havent drained the oil yet

So to answer your question, I don't think you would need to drain the oil to replace the oil filter housing cap. Just make sure you don't get crap into the housing during the process.

As for the turbo, I'm going with a GT35R .82 AR. I completely forgot about the water cooling lines when i bought this turbo, so I took care of that today and bought some fittings.

I think the next time me and Yih Woei will get to work on it is this weekend since he has work. We took off the head already. Everything looks fine minus some carbon deposits, but I didn't want to take it off with everything exposed cause I might get the deposits dumped into a water jacket or worse. So, I'll probably just seafoam treat the engine once everything is mounted back on and settled in for a bit.

I'll keep ya guys updated

-Rich

My Cars
    97 Evil M3/4, 01 M5
    Update!

ARGH!, I forgot my Camera at Yih Woei's place. So I can't post pics just yet. I'll have em for tommorow.

I got the parts I was missing or needed to replace such as motor mount, some turbo fittings, heater hose, studs and nuts, etc.

We installed the new fittings onto the GT35R, cleaned up the bottom end and top end of gasket residue, installed the new studs onto the exhaust ports. Installed the new rubber motor mount together with a cartech motor mount.

We then cleaned up my SCE Headgasket and sprayed 5 coatings onto the HG with around 1-2minutes between each coat to let it become tacky. While that was curing hanging from a tree, we did a couple of mock trial runs to clock the turbo into the right position.

But before that, we had to grind a couple of notches onto the SPA manifold otherwise it will not sit perfectly onto head. (Special thanks to bret (bbaz) for the tip!). With that we installed the manifold.

We put manifold onto the head, then put the GT35R onto the manifold, and with the aid of Raza, Ivan, and Yih Woei placed it onto the block. With some finesse the entire assembly fit in! With the turbo clocked, we took off the head, cleaned off the block again, added some copper sealant onto the vanos area of the block, placed the HG, then plasted more copper sealant onto the HG where the vanos area is.

The head sits perfectly w/ the SPA manifold/GT35R and no grinding is needed of the cartech motor mount to fit with the SPA manifold. I think im one of the first ones to use this combo

With the head in place and a couple of guys holding it down, we installed 2 APR studs into the middle of the head, and then installed the rest. Make sure you only HAND TIGHT the studs.

The next two hours were spent torquing down the studs methodically to ensure a proper seal. Between that we installed some random lines back into the compartment, and then called it quits for the day.

Pics to come Its coming along nicely.

My Cars
    96 M3, 91 318iS
    Sounds like it's coming together nicely! Congrats!
    1996 Hellrot on Modena M3
    1991 Imola on black 318is

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan
    congrats! good luck with the project!
    2008 Honda Odyssey Touring
    1998 Arctic Silver ///M3 Sedan (Bone Stock )
    1995 Arctic Silver ///M3 3.2L OBD1-Vortech SC Stage 2 w/ Schrick Cams, Aftercooler, and FMHE. Aquamist 1S, 3.38 LSD, AA Gen III exhaust, BMW OEM X-brace, //M Motorsport Brace, Front Euro Floaters w/ Ultimate Axxis, Koni Sports w/ H&R sport springs, Eibach Sways, UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR, Euro clear all around and Ellipsoids, Alpine CDA-7864 w/ Blaupunkt Amp JL stealth boxes, Forged LTW Staggered Rims.

The Forced has been Introduced!
    Euro 6spd Gear box - Installed!

98M3 OBD2 parts, Intake manifolds, Reducers, etc etc.......Click here to email me

My Cars
    none
    subscribing for pics

My Cars
    97 Evil M3/4, 01 M5
    We got everything pretty much installed. Only thing that remains is piping fabrication, installation, and tuning. Oh and that damn syclone thing.

Here are some pics of the install

With the head off the car, in order to ensure a proper seal, grinding of the SPA manifold

Mounting the turbo and manifold onto the head for mock up fitment trials

After coating the gasket with 5 coats of copper spray, put some copper sealant around the vanos area since it historically has tended to leak. Both under and on top of gasket.

Head back on
    Note the paper towel to make sure arp studs and stuff don't fall into the block of the engine

Cams back on

Everything installed

Last edited by RRdawho?; 04-03-2006 at 05:41 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4
    Looks good, Rich.

Wish I could have helped you guys out yesterday. Hopefully the IC piping and everything else that is left goes well.

Drive Safely,
    Raza
    Current:
    2016 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Past:
    1994 E36 BMW Dinan 3
    1998 E36 BMW ///M3/4
    2000 E39 BMW ///M5
    2002 E46 BMW ///M3
    2008 E60 BMW 550i M-Sport

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast