Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's that sucking sound?!

My Cars
    1915 Nothing

What's that sucking sound?!

There's this loud sucking sound and a whistle coming from my engine bay!!! WTF???

Before Dyno:

After Dyno (Only running low 7psi, boost controller has since been dialed in to a nice comfortable 8.2-8.4psi):

And my favorite touch:

Fun as all Hell.. Love it Pulls like a freight train, and is not at all difficult to control - Even on stock shocks/springs. I can't wait to get out to the AutoX and mess w/ it, the powerband is definently wonderful and I think it will work out great on the track.

TCKline S/A Coilovers w/ 500# f/r coming in next week
    Last edited by LynxZ3r0; 04-01-2020 at 11:39 AM.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    I am speechless...mostly due to the envy!

Kudos on such a nice setup!

Riaz

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster
    Was there a post with more info on what setup your running that I missed?

My Cars
    1915 Nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by ugaroadster
    Was there a post with more info on what setup your running that I missed?
    It's in my sig, but it's a Stage 1 Technique Tuning This is the 1st post about it, I've been keeping it a secret until I got it installed I'm totally stock, engine wise, other than the turbo kit. Considering bumping up to a stage 2 a little later this year, or perhaps just going all out and rebuilding w/ some 9.0:1 pistons. I dunno. Got the bug... the bug for boost!

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster
    Oh I see. Great numbers you have there on just 8.x psi. I really like that Porsche emblem too.. would it have fit below the BMW roundel by any chance? Hey, I can dream

My Cars
    1915 Nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by ugaroadster
    Oh I see. Great numbers you have there on just 8.x psi. I really like that Porsche emblem too.. would it have fit below the BMW roundel by any chance? Hey, I can dream
    Yep, it'd fit there just fine - In fact if I were going to put it there I'd go steal one off a Porsche. The decal I used is a simple rub on - I sanded down the 3rd brake light to make it smooth, polished it, put the decal on, and then put on 2 coats of automotive Clearcoat (all our lights have clearcoat on them). Looks like it's supposed to be there, pics don't do it justice. Looks totally stock

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    i want a ride! love the decal too

ECIS Intake:M50 Manifold:Supersprint:Bilstein/H&R Sport:RE RSM:WSM:MZ3 Front Bumper:3.73 LSD
    Waiting List: IE Bushings

My Cars
    '00 M Coupe
    Any plans to do a dyno with the new boost? So lucky to live close to TT!

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    2800rpm to 3800rpm on the torque curve looks like a freight train.

Congrats. Engine bay pics?

My Cars
    Dinan S2 Coupe, 996 GT3
    Awesome! You need to paint the Porsche turbo badge black though.
    '02 Steel Grey/Black M Coupe

Mods....
    Engine/Drivetrain: Dinan Exhaust, Throttle Boddies, MAF, CIA, Stage 4M Software, Sport Mode, 3.73 LSD
    Suspension: Dinan Swaybars, Springs, Shocks, Strut Brace, IE Subframe Bushings
    Interior: E46 Aluminum Pedals/Dead Pedal, Leather Z Chrome Bits, Leather Z Extended Leather Package Bits, Defrost Relocated, Footwell Lights, Lighted Sunroof Switch
    Exterior: AC Schnitzer Flippers, Wing, Z8 Nozzles, Clear Markers, Shinny New Roadstars(I love those wheels)
    Misc: Toyo T1Rs 235/255, UUC Clutch Line, Carbon Fiber Engine Cover, V1 Hardwire
    Coming Very Soon: SS Brake Lines, Ate Super Blue, Euro Floating Rotors, Axxis Ultimates, IE Tranny Mount Bushings, SuperSprint headers/Cat Delete
    Coming Not So Soon: 6 Speed Conversion, Trip to Randy

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    You need to make the turbo badge retractractable.

It's like the exact opposite of the Sheriff's Benevolent Association sticker.

My Cars
    00 MCoupe - 04 Lexus RX330 - 90 325i
    Congrats on another FI 367. That's pretty friggin tasty for only ~8.5; about 350 then? Nick does excellent work.

My Cars
    1915 Nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshkrauss
    Any plans to do a dyno with the new boost? So lucky to live close to TT!
    I'm waiting for a dyno day w/ one of the local clubs, since I don't really want to pay another $80 for just 1 run, but yes, would like to see if I topped 350

Yeah, it's great. I paid for regular ground shipping on everything, and got it the next day! And the ECU was sent down in 1 day, and returned in 1 day

Quote Originally Posted by count_schemula
    2800rpm to 3800rpm on the torque curve looks like a freight train.

Congrats. Engine bay pics?

You need to make the turbo badge retractractable.

It's like the exact opposite of the Sheriff's Benevolent Association sticker.
    I'll get some engine pics tomorrow, they're all on my computer at home, which I don't have at the moment And yeah, it feels like a freight train too! I hit 2800 and my neck gets whipped into the back of the seat.

And at the retractable badge, that'd be great. Fortunately, the Florida boys don't know any better - Everyone I've met has thought the car came from the factory turbocharged.

This is crazy addictive. I'm not much of a dragstrip guy, prefering the red cones and Sebring, but I find myself craving more boost! That freight train feeling puts a toothy grin on my face EVERY time. It never gets old. I've gotten about 12mpg the last week because I can't help but floor it every gear.

PS: Nick's kit is just as nice as his tuning. I did not expect what I got - It's all a LOT prettier and much nicer than any of the custom setup that people put together. All of the IC pipes are coated in some sort of black insulation. VERY understated and OEM looking. I LIKE very much. I've already gotten 2 more potential customers for Nick - I stole them away from plans to buy an AA turbo that they had both planned 100% on buying - That's how good it looks and performs, they didn't even think about it, just said "I want this one."

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    In high school, and this prolly dates me a little bit... a friend of mine got a Colt Turbo. An absolute piece of junk, but was seriously, faster than anything but the supercars. I drove that thing a lot. It was seriously addictive.

I'm not kidding, you had to be in a Ferrari to beat that thing. We laid waste to every redneck for 100 miles.

My Cars
    Street Missile/Track Weapon
    So the TT kit for the 367 and 368 can be shipped out now? I emailed him about it a while back and it was an in house only thing back then.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by count_schemula
    In high school, and this prolly dates me a little bit... a friend of mine got a Colt Turbo.
    Yep, that thing and the Dodge Omni, Shadow, GLHS - they made some turd rockets early and mid 80s.

My Cars
    1915 Nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister X
    So the TT kit for the 367 and 368 can be shipped out now? I emailed him about it a while back and it was an in house only thing back then.
    AFAIK they've been shipping out for a while.. best bet is to call Nick up again and check it out

And At the Colt Turbo.. That's great The poor good ole boys have been trying to get me too, like always. Ran into a ~40 yr old dude w/ a mullet and no shirt driving a Dodge SRT-10 (the viper truck!).. Let's just he was VERY upset that I managed to not only pace him from 1st and 2nd gear, while I was stuck behind him, but by the middle of 3rd gear I was next to his door grinning from ear to ear, waving at him!

Like you said - Seriously addictive! There's nothing like the feel of a well built turbo system - I would not have been happy, even w/ a Twinscrew, because of the "feeling" as soon as the boost starts to hit.

My Cars
    1915 Nothing
    Last edited by LynxZ3r0; 04-01-2020 at 11:39 AM.

My Cars
    Cripes - that looks like 4.5" tubing. Uber clean, as I would expect.

My Cars
    M Roadster
    That sucking sound coming from your bank account?

Quote Originally Posted by LynxZ3r0

That thing is nicely hidden. I thought black anodizing might be needed to hide it, but it doesn't show much at all! You are in Riverview? Make it up to Tampa often? I'd love to take a ride in that thing.

98 ///M Roadster - Sharked, FDK, twin Magnaflows, UUC Stage II Flywheel, OEM M5 Clutch, UUC TME Red & Enforcers, Zimmerman rotors, Cosmos CAI, ProjectorZs w DDE, 6K HIDs, fatter rubber on the corners, UUC Underdrive Pulleys, and Stewart High Performance water pump

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Very clean setup! How does the BOV sound?

My Cars
    1915 Nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by M Roady
    That sucking sound coming from your bank account?

That thing is nicely hidden. I thought black anodizing might be needed to hide it, but it doesn't show much at all! You are in Riverview? Make it up to Tampa often? I'd love to take a ride in that thing.
    I'm up near USF twice a week, and down on MLK 5 days a week. Would be happy to give you a ride anytime. Drop me a PM early in the morning on a day you want to do it and I'll wake up for it

And Yes, the bank account is sucked dry, but I've never felt better about being broke

Quote Originally Posted by Vinci
    Very clean setup! How does the BOV sound?
    Loud at full load! Very nice low "psssssssh".. not like the ricer-mobile ones that get real loud and high pitched.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Looks like a Tial BOV. Are you going to upgrade to V-Band clamps later on?

Riaz

My Cars
    Recovering Boost Junkie...
    Nice!

Interesting intake pipes.
    2008 X5 4.8i
    2003 330xi -sold-
    2001 X5 4.4i -sold-
    2001 M5 -sold-
    2001 M Roadster (SCed, Highly modified) -sold-
    2000 M Roadster -sold-
    1995 325is -sold-