RM European Auto Parts

Thread: M50 manifold install HELP!!!!!!

My Cars
    E36 M3

M50 manifold install HELP!!!!!!

Ok so I did the DIY m50 manifold install last night and its complete and working good today... but i elimnated the crank case ventaltion system and pluged then crank case vent...is this bad? do i need to go back and put it in... pics below so you know what im talking about i dont want to hurt my car but I figured it was just some pointless emmisions thing... HELP!! suggestions on what to needed

THIS IS NOT MY CAR(JUST OTHER M3 ENGINE BAY PICS)

My Cars
    1997 M3;95 325is(M p
    I had to use regular rubber hose ,running into the intake boot, don't remember exactly ,but I think that how i did it, passed emission test fine.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    did you elimnate the thing i did?

My Cars
    1995 318i, 92 Camaro, 2002 Dakota
    Why did you eliminate the PCV valve???
    It puts vacuum to the top of the engine to "suck" up blow by and such.
    It also helps with ring sealing by eliminating the build up of blow by gasses.

If you do not want to run a PCV system to the intake, then look into the kits to run it into the exhaust...
    but to eliminate it...is just silly.

My Cars
    328i
    umm.. eliminating the PCV (positive crankcase ventillation) back to the intake is bad. Here's why:

The gases from combustion leak past the piston rings and into your crankcase, sometimes called blow-by. This is espescially true of engines with a lot of miles on them. In the good-ol days these gases were simply vented to the outside world. It wasn't long until we realized that millions of cars spouting combustion gases to the air was bad for green things and our lungs so these gases had to be delt with internally to the engine. A "closed" system of recirculating these gasses was developed where the gases are sucked (vented) from the crankcase and into the top end (valve train) of your engine then to the intake manifold where they are redelivered to the combustion chamber to be reburnt.

By plugging off this line you have essentially trapped these gasses in your engine; crankcase and valve body. These gases are acidic, can contain high levels of soot and oil and all of this will be deposited inside your engine. After several miles of operation, this will become a black, tarry, substance that will wreak havoc on your valves, cams, lifters, rings, etc. It will also foul your oil with contaminants.

You should discover a way to reconnect the pcv hose back to the manifold or elsewhere. If you don't, you will do damage to your engine in the long run.

g/l!

My Cars
    2016 340i xDrive
    Routing the PCV system to the exhaust sounds like an interesting idea... anyone know how to do this? No more e-check in Ohio...

My Cars
    Cars: Cars: Cars:
    Sorry for being OT, but did you piece together the kit yourself? and was it hard?

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by alsteel
    umm.. eliminating the PCV (positive crankcase ventillation) back to the intake is bad. Here's why:

The gases from combustion leak past the piston rings and into your crankcase, sometimes called blow-by. This is espescially true of engines with a lot of miles on them. In the good-ol days these gases were simply vented to the outside world. It wasn't long until we realized that millions of cars spouting combustion gases to the air was bad for green things and our lungs so these gases had to be delt with internally to the engine. A "closed" system of recirculating these gasses was developed where the gases are sucked (vented) from the crankcase and into the top end (valve train) of your engine then to the intake manifold where they are redelivered to the combustion chamber to be reburnt.

By plugging off this line you have essentially trapped these gasses in your engine; crankcase and valve body. These gases are acidic, can contain high levels of soot and oil and all of this will be deposited inside your engine. After several miles of operation, this will become a black, tarry, substance that will wreak havoc on your valves, cams, lifters, rings, etc. It will also foul your oil with contaminants.

You should discover a way to reconnect the pcv hose back to the manifold or elsewhere. If you don't, you will do damage to your engine in the long run.

g/l!
    Thanks for the help guys do you think just running it to the ground would be ok?...even thought its polluting the air...my engine would be fine?

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by brownsound
    Sorry for being OT, but did you piece together the kit yourself? and was it hard?
    yeah i just found the parts (except the actual manifold and new gaskets ) at shucks and lowes hardware.

My Cars
    '97 328i & '97 lac on dubs(not really)
    yes, you do not have to recycle it to any thing(unless you are a tree hugger). just DONT PLUG IT!!! its bad but make sure you plug the intake manifold.

will der Schnurrbart Behandlung?

www.leistungmotorwerkes.com

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by promp3
    yes, you do not have to recycle it to any thing(unless you are a tree hugger). just DONT PLUG IT!!! its bad but make sure you plug the intake manifold.
    but doesnt the manifold cause the pressure for all these nasty things to be sucked out of the manifold in the 1st place? If i just ran it to the ground there would be no pressure for these gases(etc...) to be sucked out correct?

My Cars
    '97 328i & '97 lac on dubs(not really)
    nope blowby pushes the gasses out put your hand over it you should feel air moving.
    IF you plug it all your seals and gaskets will start leaking

will der Schnurrbart Behandlung?

www.leistungmotorwerkes.com

My Cars
    328i
    Actually, the venturi effect of the intake air does help in pulling the gasses out of the top end. However, you can just leave it unplugged. Expect a small amout of oil to drip from the hose though if you do decide to leave it disconnected.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by alsteel
    Actually, the venturi effect of the intake air does help in pulling the gasses out of the top end. However, you can just leave it unplugged. Expect a small amout of oil to drip from the hose though if you do decide to leave it disconnected.
    Thanks for the little bit of info... I don't have the time to to reinstall everything right now so ill just unplug it until i find time to take out the manifold again.

My Cars
    14 Civic Si, 97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by formulaemulatio
    Thanks for the little bit of info... I don't have the time to to reinstall everything right now so ill just unplug it until i find time to take out the manifold again.
    If I were you, and I weren't going to hook it back up to the intake, I'd at least put a little breather filter over it to keep debris from getting into your crank case.

My Cars
    92 525iT(S52)

I just did sort of the same thing..........

with my S52 conversion. I decided to use all the factory crankcase venting because there is really no point in disconnecting it. From my old hot rodding days, taking away all or some of the crankcase venting (PCV) capability usually results in higher crankcase pressures and oil leaks past the seals. Better safe than sorry.

Pics:

http://members.aol.com/gtopaul/private/525m3001.jpg
    http://members.aol.com/gtopaul/private/525m3002.jpg

This is a 96 S52 engine into a 92 M50 application (non-vanos). Had to change a bunch of stuff but used the 92 factory intake, exhaust, and had to change the valve cover to the earlier style.

Paul

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by uansari1
    Routing the PCV system to the exhaust sounds like an interesting idea... anyone know how to do this? No more e-check in Ohio...
    Buy a Pan-E-Vac kit from Summit for about $25. You have to weld the bung onto the exhaust at about a 45 degree angle.

Philip Bradley

My Cars
    07 GT3RS,11 328xi,04 M3
    Just get a vented oil catch can.. that'll work fine

My Cars
    97 m3 lux,
    Quote Originally Posted by formulaemulatio View Post
    Ok so I did the DIY m50 manifold install last night and its complete and working good today... but i elimnated the crank case ventaltion system and pluged then crank case vent...is this bad? do i need to go back and put it in... pics below so you know what im talking about i dont want to hurt my car but I figured it was just some pointless emmisions thing... HELP!! suggestions on what to needed

THIS IS NOT MY CAR(JUST OTHER M3 ENGINE BAY PICS)

Im about to do this mod my self on my 97 m3. I bought a complete retro fit kit from "ko preformance" that still lets you use the obd 2 oil seperator. Is there a very noticeable decrease in low end torq that you can feel? would you say the top end gain is worth it?

97 BYZANZ M3 LUX