Thread: Dinan CAI and Ellipsoids...Fitment problem?

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5

Dinan CAI and Ellipsoids...Fitment problem?

Im I going to have a problem with my Dinan CAI and Euro Ellipsoids when It comes to the fitment?

Anyone do these 2 mods and have problems having them fit?

My Cars
    98 M3
    Try the button

I didn't have any trouble I just push my intake further down and it was fine. Some have to dremel off the tab that the euro adjusting motors connect to.
    Sean

My Cars
    1998 Supercharged M3, 1999 ML430

They will fitment. (Love that word.)

Here they are...with DDE ballasts and everything.

Sean- You have excellent taste...what a beautiful car!

Attached Images Attached Images
    1998 Boston Green M3 * Speed by Dinan Stage II Supercharger * Light by ZKW with DDEs * Sound by Sony and Apple iPod

My Cars
    '99 323is, DINAN S1
    I have that set-up and yes, at least with mine it was a pain in the arse. But it DOES work! The fitment on mine could not be tighter, but Jim did my install and it came out fine. And yes there is a useless piece of plastic on the outer casing of the lights that needs to be drumelled off, but not a big deal at all. To help my fitment I also bailed that lousy DINAN filter that came with my CAI and special ordered a K&N replacement which I cannot recommend highly enough! The car runs much better with it than the DINAN filter and has more flow even when dirty than the DINAN....540 cfm. The size is 3/4" shorter and 1" narrower which means you don't have to pull the bumper cover or front wheel to service the filter now, which with the DINAN set-up you do....how rediculous. DINAN says since you only have to replace their filter every 30,000 miles they do not see that trouble as unreasonable....pfffft. Anyways, I am drifting off topic here now, sorry. :
    Mike

'99 323is, DINAN S1
    Dinan Stage III software|Dinan Throttle Body|Dinan CAI |Dinan Stage II suspension| Dinan F&R Strut Braces| Dinan 3.15 LSD| ACS Type III 18" X 8.5" Rims|ACS Catback Exhaust|ACS Short Shift Kit|ACS Pedals Set, Deadfoot & E-Brake| VDO Gauge Kit w/JTD Block| X-Brace| UUC Transmission Mounts| Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors| Billetwerks Engine Caps| Ellipsoids w/Gen. V DDEs and baffleless fog lights with H7s| Euro Clear Tail, Side & Corner Lights|M3 Body Kit…excluding badged items

My Cars
    98 M3

Re: They will fitment. (Love that word.)

Originally posted by GreenM3

Sean- You have excellent taste...what a beautiful car!

Not too shabby your self. Just a suggeston, get some clears it didn wonders for the way the car looks, there was just too much contrast with the green and yellow.
    Sean

My Cars

Check this out...

My avatar is a pre-clear picture...here they are mid change over. The clear rears and sides look awesome, but the front corners are too clear. I am going to smoke them eventually.
    Last edited by GreenM3; 09-28-2002 at 01:01 AM.
    1998 Boston Green M3 * Speed by Dinan Stage II Supercharger * Light by ZKW with DDEs * Sound by Sony and Apple iPod

My Cars
    98 M3
    Post some pics once you smoke them, I would like to see.
    Sean

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5
    I think this is Funny!

I started this thread and I also have a 98 Green M3

I had the white corners and then got the smoked ones. They match the way the headlights look perfect!

You guys are both using the Dinan CAI and euro Ellipsoids?

SG....Whos DDEs are those and what color is in the filter?

I just ordered a set of Jim Powells DDEs with red and blue filters.

98 Fern Green M3/2 - Precision 6870/AR Designs Twin Scroll/RK/E85
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmaxx - Family Whip
    2011 Pierce 75' Quint - Fire Apparatus West Islip FD

My Cars

Mine are from Jim, also. A completed kit.

I don't have any color filters, though.

That is pretty funny. 1998 Boston Green. Not a million of em' around.

My Dinan CAI is attached to a Vortech V2 supercharger, by the way. I actually took my Euro Ellipsoids to Dinan to be installed. I didn't want to have to mess with moving the bracket around.

This pic is pre-ellipsoids...

My Cars
    1988 M3
    Originally posted by M3WANABE
    To help my fitment I also bailed that lousy DINAN filter that came with my CAI and special ordered a K&N replacement which I cannot recommend highly enough! The car runs much better with it than the DINAN filter and has more flow even when dirty than the DINAN....540 cfm. The size is 3/4" shorter and 1" narrower which means you don't have to pull the bumper cover or front wheel to service the filter now, which with the DINAN set-up you do....how rediculous.
    why does the smaller filter work better ? my understanding is that the dinan filters are K&N filters just rebranded

i'm curious cause i have it and i've just been wondering whether or not to pull that nylon sock off. its supposed to keep it from getting too wet on rainy days

jeff
    1988 E30 M3, my Lachsilber Track Rat

My Cars
    '99 323is, DINAN S1
    That is what I was told to but they are not. They are not serviceable. So you have keep going back to DINAN for replacements. The filter that comes with the CAI is not even close to the quality of the K&N, IMO. The filter's bottom that comes with the CAI is not filter material, whereas, the K&N is.
    Mike

'99 323is, DINAN S1
    Dinan Stage III software|Dinan Throttle Body|Dinan CAI |Dinan Stage II suspension| Dinan F&R Strut Braces| Dinan 3.15 LSD| ACS Type III 18" X 8.5" Rims|ACS Catback Exhaust|ACS Short Shift Kit|ACS Pedals Set, Deadfoot & E-Brake| VDO Gauge Kit w/JTD Block| X-Brace| UUC Transmission Mounts| Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors| Billetwerks Engine Caps| Ellipsoids w/Gen. V DDEs and baffleless fog lights with H7s| Euro Clear Tail, Side & Corner Lights|M3 Body Kit…excluding badged items

My Cars
    2001 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hey Mike in SD,

What part number K/N filter did you use for your Dinan intake? I would consider doing the same thing.
    Thanks, Alex
    -Alex

"The noblest of ideas have always been protected by warriors."

My Cars
    1988 M3
    are you saying you can't reuse a dinan filter ? i don't think thats true. its cotton gauze just like a K&N. maybe its B&M or whatever that other brand is but its a K&N like filter...

maybe what your saying is your replacement K&N has more surface area because its shaped like a funnel and has surface area on the interior and not just around the exterior

jeff
    1988 E30 M3, my Lachsilber Track Rat

My Cars
    '99 323is, DINAN S1
    You cannot clean and reuse the Dinan filter......in fact, it says so right on the pre-charger (sock). Once it is saturated with grime it needs to be replaced. The replacement filter I use from K&N is the exact same shape as the Dinan except 1" smaller in Dia. and 1" shorter. And it has 1/8" longer flange length as well which is nice. It also has the exact same flange dia. as the Dianan. The bottom on the K&N also filters unlike the Dinan, And this size, at least in my car, works perfect for servicing without removing the front wheel or front bumper cover as Dinan recommends to be done when replacing their filter. Alan the part number that I used is RX-4140. And I did infact notice a difference in performance with the K&N....your mileage may vary though.
    Last edited by M3WANABE; 09-28-2002 at 04:00 PM.
    Mike

'99 323is, DINAN S1

My Cars
    07 hooptie civic ex
    My Dinan CAI defenatly uses a K&N filter.......

My Cars
    '99 323is, DINAN S1
    Yes according to Dinan on certain set-ups they do use a K&N filter, but not all. I reviewed my previous posts, thinking I had explained that not all come with the non-serviceable air filters, but that some do come with K&N filters. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by M3WANABE; 09-29-2002 at 01:41 PM.
    Mike

'99 323is, DINAN S1