Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window Tinting with SnapTint Kit

My Cars
    2004 325i

Window Tinting with SnapTint Kit

I was wondering if anyone has used SnapTint (snaptint.com). Its a DIY window tinting for under $100. Looks like they will send you the film pre-cut for your car type. I was thinking of buying it but wanted to get some insight on this product first. Thanks!

My Cars
    vhg
    Oooo, very cool. Of all the times I wanted to tint my own windows but never did it because I did not feel like cutting it, knowing I would screw it up. Thanks for the link man.

My Cars
    Avus M3
    idk, Ive always heard strongly against diy tinting.

My Cars
    1990 325is
    I have never seen anyone successfully tint their own windows. Precut pieces do seem like they would help and for under $100 I guess it's worth a try if you have the money. Take your time with it and be sure to clean your windows properly beforehand.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 316i Compact(1.9L M43TÜ)
    just do what ricers do when they put decals on, mix some detergent and water together(duno how much) and put it in one of those spray bottles that gardeners and hairdressers use and spray it on the window and then put the film on and move it into place and let it sit there
    westerners do it better but asians do it cheaper
    1/3 Viet 1/3 Malay 1/3 Chinese = one messed up Asian

My Cars
    90 535i.SOLD.96 328i RIP
    If you try your best you can get a decent tint job for $150 or less. Just save your money and dont be a compleate cheapass, self tinting is a terrible idea

My Cars
    '96 328
    Quote Originally Posted by kevsbeamer
    just do what ricers do when they put decals on, mix some detergent and water together(duno how much) and put it in one of those spray bottles that gardeners and hairdressers use and spray it on the window and then put the film on and move it into place and let it sit there
    That's what all people do when tinting. I don't see why people think it's that hard, just be careful and think a step or 2 head and you can get the same quality a professional would. It's not black magic.

My Cars
    E-ballin
    i tinted my first car when i was 15. The side windows I did very well except for a few minor bad cuts and some bubbles. The next time I did it, I did an e36 and it was way better. but then again i couldnt do the back window.

I think the trick is: get a super sharp knife, take your time, and research all you can. also another trick i used was, use a hairdyer on the outside of the window so the tint initally adheres better.

all in all I think to tint good you have be very patient, have plenty of time, and just overall be careful. if you have any more questions PM me and I can give you some more specific tips...

good luck

My Cars
    E60
    DIY tinting is not worth it IMHO. You can spend $100 and get a crappy result (most of the time), or go to a professional and pay more, but get flawless tint. idk, it depends on how bad you want it, and how much $$ you have. if you diy, post pics of the results.

19" Hyperblack staggered CSL's coming May 14th

My Cars
    98 M3 (RIP) 16 X1
    Dont do it yourself, the cheapest isnt always the way to go, if you dont want it to bubble ever or start to peel get it done by a professional.

My Cars
    1996 328is, 1908 Buick, 1971 Holden HQ Monaro GTS-
    I was wondering what type of tint they use and I checked their site and they use Solar Guard which is pretty decent tint. Then I checked the price for my car it's only $54.00 shipped and you can have different shades on different windows. When I looked around at getting my windows done and I didn't want the legal (in So Cal) 70% all the places here wanted $250-$300. I don't know about you guys but I hate having other people work on my car (they always screw something up). As far as the worry about bubbling and fading etc their replacement policy is: "This policy protects you from any discoloration, bubbling, cracking, or peeling of film. This policy also protects you against any accidents that damage the film that may happen during the installation process." I was skeptical but this is starting to sound like a pretty good deal.

My Cars
    E-ballin
    if you have never tinted before ever, its gonna be a big waste of $

My Cars
    98 528i RIP, 2010 SRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTed00
    If you try your best you can get a decent tint job for $150 or less. Just save your money and dont be a compleate cheapass, self tinting is a terrible idea
    i had my 528 tinted with 3m black, all six windows for $110 guaranteed for life. It's not worth it to do it yourself unless you want the experience or you are going illegal. I did do my front windshield strip myself as I have all my cars because I wanted it darker than legal and further down. Tinting is easy, but time consuming. Tips: Use a quality tint, metallic or heat reflective is the best. Mix the soap about 1 tspn per 8oz of water and be generous when spraying. Type of soap should be gentle and non-phosphorus. (Can't remember exactly what type, but usually the cheaper the better) Make sure the glass is clean inside and out.

If you screw up, you can always take it off, although that's more of a PITA than tinting itself.
    Good Luck!

Short version: Find a good shop and spend up to $150 to get it done right with a lifetime warranty unless you want it limo black!
    9/30/2007 - 200,000 Miles!
    11/29/10 - 300,000 miles and counting! 4/10/2012 - 332,635! 01/14/2013 - 350,000 miles! 10/25/15 - 395,872 End of the Road
    Never explain yourself... Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway!

My Cars
    E60
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamaican71
    i had my 528 tinted with 3m black, all six windows for $110 guaranteed for life. It's not worth it to do it yourself unless you want the experience or you are going illegal. I did do my front windshield strip myself as I have all my cars because I wanted it darker than legal and further down. Tinting is easy, but time consuming. Tips: Use a quality tint, metallic or heat reflective is the best. Mix the soap about 1 tspn per 8oz of water and be generous when spraying. Type of soap should be gentle and non-phosphorus. (Can't remember exactly what type, but usually the cheaper the better) Make sure the glass is clean inside and out.

If you screw up, you can always take it off, although that's more of a PITA than tinting itself.
    Good Luck!

Short version: Find a good shop and spend up to $150 to get it done right with a lifetime warranty unless you want it limo black!

Where are you getting your tint for $110, or even $150??!?? I got mine for $225 and that was 5 windows. I find it hard to believe you can get a quality "professional" job for $110. JMO

19" Hyperblack staggered CSL's coming May 14th

My Cars
    vhg
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastx525ixGuy
    Where are you getting your tint for $110, or even $150??!?? I got mine for $225 and that was 5 windows. I find it hard to believe you can get a quality "professional" job for $110. JMO

I agree, around here it's $250-$300

My Cars
    little red bimmer
    my dad got his car done in so cal for 120! And, it's a great job. I got mine done here, in OR, for 425. But, it looks great! Worth the cost to me... it literally just boils down to what is it worth to you? And, just because you haven't done it, isn't a good reason not to try... everyone has to start somewhere. Just be prepared to take it to a pro is it fails the first time.
    M.D.W.

My Cars
    M3/4
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastx525ixGuy
    Actually, in Florida, that's not totally unreasonable. The shops around here that have been around are in the $150-$170. If you shop around for someone that's just starting out, I'm sure $110 is possible.

I believe one of the members just got a quote of $200 to have tint redone for an e36 sedan (yes, it includes removal of the old tint from the rear window).

My Cars
    330Ci 2001
    I tried to apply SNAPTINT to my wifes Honda Civic. It is a terrible product. It kept rolling up on itself, no matter how wet i got it, which lead to creases. It also requires a heat gun which they do not tell you until you get the product. ALSO the install is much more complicated than they show online. Taking the rubber seal off is not a problem but replacing is a PIA. Do yourself a favor and pay 100$ to get it done professionally by people who know what they are doing. You can spend all day trying to get this product to work and it will still look bad. Oh yeah... when you call they say the voicemail isnt working and to email them... then they dont email you back...

Mark850 is offline Life begins at 145mph.... Moderator
    My Cars
    91 850i/'67 Nova SS
    I can do a pretty good job tinting myself but opted to have someone do it for me.. It cost me $250.00 but he took the door panels off to do the whole glass and I didn't want to get involved with the rear glass as he did it in one piece..Pay someone and save yourself some $$$ or go to your local auto parts store and get a roll of the cheap stuff and practice first....
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Too much crap
    Here is Santa Fe you can get it done for 140$ they use the F1 film with a lifetime warranty. I would just get someone to do it for you saves you trouble and the possibility of damaging your car.

My Cars
    328ic
    is there anything you can use on the plastic window of a convertable ?

"my wheel bolts require more torque then your honda makes"

My Cars
    Too much crap
    Quote Originally Posted by whosyadadie01 View Post
    is there anything you can use on the plastic window of a convertable ?
    For plastic you can die it. Or just regular tint as long is it doesnt bend.

My Cars
    1997 M3 sedan, 1990 RX-7
    i was quoted about 200$ for my 1997 M# to do all 4 windows but i found a pre cut kit here http://www.northerntint.com/ for about 40$ shipped

when i have attempted this before the cutting is the hardest part so ill risk the 40 bones and let you guys know how it came out.

My Cars
    08 328i|01 530i|96 328s
    I agree with the previous posters. I pro can do a car in about an hour and around here Premium tint, even on a 4 door only costs about $150.
    ~Phil
    Madeiraviolett Bf.C club member #001

1996 BMW 328is Madeiraviolett/Dove Grey: 5 Spd, Sport, Cold Weather & Premium Sound pkgs.
    3.5" ECIS/ITG intake -> Samco ASC Delete Boot -> DINAN TB -> M50 Manifold -> S52 Cams | Bav Auto Red-top ignition coils tuned w/ AA software, Dynomax Cats & Stromung exhaust UUC Pulleys & Clutch stop, FDM=Zionsville radiator, Mishimoto Tank, SAMCO hoses, Fidanza LTW flywheel & M3 clutch, UUC Evo3 SSK, 3.23 LSD, Koni/Eibach Adjustable Damper suspension, PUR RSM's & RTABs, CF Strut brace, UUC Swaybarbarians, Motorsport X-Brace, 17x8 Beyern Mesh wheels Hella CELIS projectors + 5k TRS HID's, Fog delete=Brake cooling duct, LTW wing, ///M Bumper & R. Diffuser
    CCA Member #382557

My Cars
    08 M5, 06 X3
    have a pro do it. its much harder than you think. you will also likely to get a hair or dust trapped in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast