Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY: intake heatshield

My Cars
    1995 E34 S52, 2013 X5d

DIY: intake heatshield

After searching and reading threads on heatshields, finding how ridiculously expensive they are to buy already made and being completely bored while on break from school I decided to make my own and IMO it came out quite well. I will do my best to explain step by step with the pictures I took and if any of the moderators find this helpful feel free to throw it in the e36 DIY library.

Materials (bought from homedepot):
    1x2 ft sheet of black powder coated aluminum $12.47
    weather stripping of your choice ( i got 2/3 in. window weatherstripping) $3.97
    card board and tape FREE

Tools:
    dremel (not required but helped to cut the hole for the intake)
    tin snips
    small file
    hammer + 2x4 + vice (used to bend the sheet of aluminum)
    utility knife

Time: about an hour

Step 1: Remove you intake

Step 2: Find a nice piece of card board that you can use to cut and make a template as a guide to cut your sheet metal.

Step 3: Once you have a rough template (I say rough because more then likely you will have to do some more trimming to your metal) make marks on the metal sheet where you will be cutting the intake hole as well as where any intial bends and cuts will need to be made.

*Steps 4 and 5 are interchangible I guess...I bent my sheet first*

Step 4: Bending the metal. To do this I placed a 2x4 in a vice and first bent the metal along the drawn lines I made. I then used a hammer to define the bend more. This step is fairly easy once you know exactly where you want the metal to bend.

Step 5: Cutting the metal. Now im sure you could cut the intake hole a number of different ways but with what I had available I used a dremel to slice the circle for the intake into 4 slices. I then was able to use my tin snips to remove the 4 pieces. I then used a grinding attachment for the dremel to smooth down and even out the inside of the circle. I followed this up with a file to get it as smooth and metal shard free as possible.

in this photo I have the hole cut and the metal bent

here I have used the tin snips to remove a cutout for the shock tower and the area where the cruise control wires run and such.

I then brought the shield up for a test fit. I found that the part of the aluminum that would be nearest to the headlights and the radiator would need to be trimmed a little off the top so that it would not hit when the hood is closed. Here is a picture.

Step 6: After test fitting everything it was time to weatherstrip. One of the write ups I read spoke of pep boys selling automotive weatherstripping. I just bought some window stripping from homedepot. It will do the job for right now. It seems to work nicely on the bottom and sides of the heatshield but to complete this project I will most likely buy some automotive type to put along the top of the shield so that it can seal fully with the hood.
    Here are some pictures of the heatshield weatherstripped and installed for the first time.

All thats really left now is to re-install the intake and make sure everything looks good.

From what I can tell you do not neccessarily need a bottom to this heatshield. Mine fit pretty flush after putting the weatherstripping on. The only thing I question is the durability of the weatherstripping. Time permitting I will try and get some better and more adhesive stuff that maybe even looks a little more attractive.

Please keep in mind I'm no professional, just a bored college kid (on a budget haha). I hope this is helpful to some people and if you have any questions or comments I will try and explain myself further. Good luck!

-Matt W

My Cars
    1995 Hellrot 325is
    I know the ECIS is similar, but I would think that you still have a source for hot air, see arrow. Now look at the Comfortis intake...seals all around and top/bottom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg hs.jpg (45.9 KB, 2399 views)
    [
    Turner Perf Chip/Fan Delete/Sparco Strut Tower Brace/X-Brace/JTD Underpanel
    Zimmerman X-D Rotors/Axxis Ultimate Pads/Solid Caliper Guide Bolt Bushings
    UUC EVO3/DSSR SSK/3.15 LSD/Cosmos Racing CAI V2/ASC Delete
    96+ M3 LCA/LCAB M3 RTAB and GC Shims
    BMW OEM Alarm/Woodgrain Delete/Blizzaks baby!/16x7 BMW Style 30 Sport wheels

My Cars
    e30/36/46 325/M3/330
    Quote Originally Posted by hellrot325
    I know the ECIS is similar, but I would think that you still have a source for hot air, see arrow. Now look at the Comfortis intake...seals all around and top/bottom
    Haha... stuff a rag between the strut tower and the fender.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasfan824
    TC does not want ghey hookers you silly.

My Cars
    moded e36 4 banger
    or u can remove you horn and go CAI
    coul

My Cars
    1995 E34 S52, 2013 X5d
    Ya I bought a 1x1 sheet of aluminum in addition to the 1x2 sheet. I am definately going to try and put a bottom on it so that it seals all the way around but I have yet to determine how to secure the additional piece of aluminum. My friend just got a welder so maybe I'll see if he can help me out.

My Cars
    E60 530xi - E53 4.4
    sweet job man

My Cars
    Teh Bimmer
    When I had my 325 I made a similar heat shield (used a buddy's conforti as a template) and my sheet metal wasn't large enough, so I used rivets to secure the two pieces.

My Cars
    01 dinan 7 sport, 83 733
    true, but that does not justify the ridiculous price. nice work mcw323is.

My Cars
    1995 Hellrot 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by NegativeCamber
    true, but that does not justify the ridiculous price. nice work mcw323is.
    nor does a low price of a DIY justify lack of effectiveness...I'm not a Conforti fan or user...Cosmos V2
    [
    Turner Perf Chip/Fan Delete/Sparco Strut Tower Brace/X-Brace/JTD Underpanel
    Zimmerman X-D Rotors/Axxis Ultimate Pads/Solid Caliper Guide Bolt Bushings
    UUC EVO3/DSSR SSK/3.15 LSD/Cosmos Racing CAI V2/ASC Delete
    96+ M3 LCA/LCAB M3 RTAB and GC Shims
    BMW OEM Alarm/Woodgrain Delete/Blizzaks baby!/16x7 BMW Style 30 Sport wheels

My Cars
    Harley Dyna
    nor does a low price of a DIY justify lack of effectiveness...I'm not a Conforti fan or user...Cosmos V2
    how is a DIY "lack effectiveness"? if you do it right, it does just as well as a conforti. Cosmos is good because there is no need for a heatshield, but if you dont feel like being ripped off and paying $120 for a CAI, you can easily make your own and if youre halfway smart at all you can make a decent heatshield that blocks a lot of heat.
    173rd ABN

-12/14/2005

My Cars
    01 dinan 7 sport, 83 733
    I'm not a Conforti fan or user...Cosmos V2
    same. i have a dinan . but it was free, so i dont care.

My Cars
    VF
    Good job on the project and the writeup. If people notice certain parts of it aren't as effective as they want them to be, they can alter it in any way they want.

It would be interesting to see how much heat transfer differs between a heat shield that blocks the flow from around the shock tower completely and one that doesn't. I bet you it doesn't really make a whole hell of a lot of difference, but I could be wrong....

My Cars
    2 vettes and a mazda 6
    Nice job. I did a very similar hack job with a piece of scrap aluminum flashing ( as a prototype until I get some nice sheet metal). My only suggestion is to move the front of the shield closer to the radiator. Your stock airbox intake comes in there . The way you have it now, the coldest air is now going between your heatshield and the radiator and into the engine bay.
    Shift it over next to the radiator ( like the blue line in the attached pic)
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    e30/36/46 325/M3/330
    Quote Originally Posted by kindtree
    Good job on the project and the writeup. If people notice certain parts of it aren't as effective as they want them to be, they can alter it in any way they want.

It would be interesting to see how much heat transfer differs between a heat shield that blocks the flow from around the shock tower completely and one that doesn't. I bet you it doesn't really make a whole hell of a lot of difference, but I could be wrong....
    The heat of the material is insignifigant. The issue is making sure the filter draws fresh air. When you compare the amount of air going thru the tube even at IDLE, you realize that even having a very hot intake manifold/intake/whatever won't really heat the air up much at all. Trick is making sure you get fresh air, instead of heated engine compartment air.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasfan824
    TC does not want ghey hookers you silly.

My Cars
    03 AW E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by kindtree

yeah I think that the forward motion/air flow would largely cancel out the effect of the intake empting the area and air moving from a higher pressure(behind the strut tower and fender) to a lower pressure (in front of the intake)
    1998 E36 Euro M3/4/6 Aegean Blue/Ox Blood
    2003 E46 M3 AW/Bl - sold
    1997 E36 328i AW/DG - RIP

My Cars
    325i, 2002 tii, 325is, 525it, 735i
    Good write up and a good starting point. I plan to do something a little different, but I guess I need to deal with water in the DME first:

(OK, so I am kidding here...)

My Cars
    back from the dead '93 325iA
    good job i really like that red intake where did you get it? it would look good on my car. i put a cosmo heat sheild on mine it took some effort to get it in there dunno why probablly couse it euro

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Ares443
    I don't consider it a waste of gas to race these fools. The way I see it, you provided a community service. If someone is gonna be a car enthusiast they should have a vague notion of what's what. You did the guy a favor and he left the outing all the wiser.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

My Cars
    1995 E34 S52, 2013 X5d
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas mikey
    good job i really like that red intake where did you get it? it would look good on my car. i put a cosmo heat sheild on mine it took some effort to get it in there dunno why probablly couse it euro
    I actually got it off of ebay. It isnt one of those ones that you see listed over and over by sellers like procarparts and the like. If I recall correctly the seller claimed to be a tuning shop of some sort and had one or 2 of them left in stock and I think I paid like 55 for it or something.

Also after reading some peoples comments about making the shield come closer to the radiator I think I will try and address that tomorrow. Also I remember reading from the e36 DIY library the brake duct mod with a piece of vacuum hose tapping into the brake cooling duct. That might be a good way to get some cold air flowing up into the area around the intake.

My Cars
    97 528I, 07 328I
    My DIY CAI is almost the same as your/ except...

My Cars
    98 328i

Diy

Nice write up! And good job. Props to you for using your head and creativity. I'll be taking some cues and ideas from you when I start working on my heat shield. Thanks for sharing.......

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    Quote Originally Posted by blue///m3
    Nice job. I did a very similar hack job with a piece of scrap aluminum flashing ( as a prototype until I get some nice sheet metal). My only suggestion is to move the front of the shield closer to the radiator. Your stock airbox intake comes in there . The way you have it now, the coldest air is now going between your heatshield and the radiator and into the engine bay.
    Shift it over next to the radiator ( like the blue line in the attached pic)
    i agree, minor change, and it should improve airflow

My Cars
    2011 BMW 335I msport
    where did u get the pipe & filter from?
    i think im going to try to make one of these 2marrow
    how do you make your money easy im a P.I.M.P.G.A.N.G.S.T.E.R
    I have Gucci style, Burberry class, I'm the Dkny bomb, so kiss my Prada ass
    R 1 3 5
    -l-l-l-
    2 4 6

***SeX iS lIkE mAtH. aDd ThE bEd, SuBtRaCt ThE cLoThEs, DiViDe tHe LeGs, PrAy U dOn't MuLtIpLy***

My Cars
    1995 E34 S52, 2013 X5d
    I got the pipe and filter off of ebay. It was from some sort of tuning shop that claimed to have 2 e36 specific intakes left and wanted to get rid of them. I would say any short ram air style pipe with a K&N would suffice.

Also I drove the car for about 30 min today sorta hard and the intake pipe is cool to the touch. Pre heatshield it would get quite warm. And whether or not this is all in my head...which it might be....on the highway the intake seemed to sound slightly different than before, sorta a deeper tone then before. Not that noticible but oh well.

My Cars
    back from the dead '93 325iA
    I know for a fact that it works. i was racing one night it was probablly about 65 degres out. after i went home i checked the air filter and it was actually cool to the touch while the motor was very hot. so no its not in your head it really does work. just my $.02

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Ares443
    I don't consider it a waste of gas to race these fools. The way I see it, you provided a community service. If someone is gonna be a car enthusiast they should have a vague notion of what's what. You did the guy a favor and he left the outing all the wiser.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    Matt - i appreciate your writeup as it helped me build my own similar to what you made. my question is....how is your heat shield held in place? did you bolt it down to the sheetmetal anywhere or is it just hanging loose in there?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast