Thread: HIR lights?

My Cars
    1997 M3

HIR lights?

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/9006.asp

Quoth the link:
    Halogen Infra Red 9006/HB4 Bulbs - 12V

General Electric patented this new technology in 2000. Their intention was to creat a bulb that emit about 3/4 as many lumins as an HID capsule at a fraction of the cost. The technology was licensed to Toshiba for automotive use.

The technology involves a specially shaped quartz globe which has multiple layers of semi-reflective materials deposted on the surface. The coating reflets a portion of the Infra red energy emited by the filament back to the filament causing it to glow hotter and produce more light, which escapes through the uncoated forward portion of the globe. Even though the filament runs hotter, the bulb produces about the same amount of heat as a stock bulb.

Interestingly enough, the 9012 bulb can be used in a 9006 lamp with a simple modification with a Dremel tool or file. Due to federal regulations, we can not make this modification, but you, the end user, can. The material to remove is marked on each bulb.
    Is this the right bulb to use in our cars for the HIR mod with stock US headlights? Just zip off a bit of plastic with a dremel and use these puppies? I want more light and I don't want to bother with HID. I have been looking for a site that stocks these.. and here they are. It looks like a pair would cost ~$60 from this site

Has anyone tried this?
    Last edited by EricP; 11-22-2005 at 02:37 PM.

1997 M3 (SOLD) :o 2000 528i Sport (SOLD)

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    I've made a thread on HIR a while ago...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=390552

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Pfft!

My Cars
    '01 MCoupe '02 M3C/6
    Quote Originally Posted by EricP
    http://www.rallylights.com/hella/9006.asp

Quoth the link:

Is this the right bulb to use in our cars for the HIR mod with stock US headlights? Just zip off a bit of plastic with a dremel and use these puppies? I want more light and I don't want to bother with HID. I have been looking for a site that stocks these.. and here they are. It looks like a pair would cost ~$60 from this site

Has anyone tried this?
    It appears to be the correct ones. The ones you want are made by Toshiba. There are some crap Chinese ripoffs that are not a good bulb (little things like the filament being purposely off center..)

You can also check http://www.finemotoring.com as another source.

Here is a tiny little article about bulbs for the stock housings:
    http://www.bmwcca.org/members/AM/Tem...e_Be_E36_Light

Have fun!
    Don Eilenberger
    '01 M-Coupe, '03 525iaT, '07 R1200R
    '06 Porsche Cayenne S - Titanium Edition (Iceland silver/Titanium

My Cars
    1997 M3
    I appreciate it.. I can't really find a definitive answer on if they are significantly brighter or not, but the one guy that says not claims to have bad vision anyway. Go figure.

If my stock halogens are old and faded.. I may as well give it a try sometime. Now I just need to find a dremel

My Cars
    '01 MCoupe '02 M3C/6
    Quote Originally Posted by EricP
    I appreciate it.. I can't really find a definitive answer on if they are significantly brighter or not, but the one guy that says not claims to have bad vision anyway. Go figure.

If my stock halogens are old and faded.. I may as well give it a try sometime. Now I just need to find a dremel
    I believe you might find the "definative answer" on if they are significantly brighter in the article I referred you to.

At least that's what I tried to do.. give actual data...
    Don Eilenberger
    '01 M-Coupe, '03 525iaT, '07 R1200R
    '06 Porsche Cayenne S - Titanium Edition (Iceland silver/Titanium

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger
    I believe you might find the "definative answer" on if they are significantly brighter in the article I referred you to.

At least that's what I tried to do.. give actual data...
    I think I read that a long time ago, EXCELLENT article I will give myself a refresher I suppose.

My Cars
    M3
    they sell toshiba hir bulbs on ebay for 30 each. search in parts & accesories for "toshiba hir". the 9012 will fit 9006 and 9011 will fit 9005 with a little trimming. this is a pretty popular modification in scion forums i visit.